Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Really? I thought most of the victims of the Belgians were Congolese.

Just wanna say this response made me laugh, A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fans posted:

Then Stella Creasy tried to call Cameron out on PFI deals, forgetting those were Blairs thing. It's got to be a sad time to be a Blairite, they used to be slick.

They're actually a Major thing, he passed them in 1992. Harriet Harman decried it as an attack on public services at the time. How things change.

Guavanaut posted:

Only if it is separately distinct, like the Tsar Nicholas.

For the record, he was Imperator Nicholas. Russia stopped being a Tsardom in the 1700s, despite the mistaken use of it since.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I would like to visit the Church on Blood. Might sit in it and read some Lenin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So that's Amazon AND Google the tories have given a reach-around to in the past week.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You know I never really thought about it before.

I suppose if you were just hugging someone from behind you could reach-around a tugjob.

Let's pretend I just said handjob.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ahhh, the power of text wrap and window size coincidence:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You're the one immigrant that's not welcome.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

Assuming Tesseraction meant the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood then this post is wrong I couldn't be cooler, go to St Petersburg everyone. If the other Church on Blood was meant, I've not been, but from pics it still looks quite cool.

The latter, the one in Sverdlovsk/Yekaterinburg. Where Imperator Nick tasted lead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What does the victim think of all this, at this point?

It feels like she's been thrown under the bus by the motives of the people trying this charge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

I take it that this was done to death in the thread at the time of the offences?

Not in this thread, but elsewhere.

I was specifically thinking about the unsafe-sex victim when asking what she thought, and I meant 'of the current situation' as opposed to 'what was she thinking???' RE: the charges.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Also once you see bodies floating down the Fontanka you get kinda soured on the whole thing.

I'm not seeing the controversy here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

C-C-C-CULTURE??? :barf:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Funny how Cameron's all for locking up a rapist when they weren't targeting children.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's this and it is so racist I actually laughed with shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno5lHA-LY8

I do like the M. Night S. twist midway through: WHICH IS WHY I NEVER WENT THERE AND USED A GREEN SCREEN. So Brave :britain:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's not a convicted rapist, sure. But he's almost definitely a rapist and I don't have a reasonable doubt of his being guilty of at least one of the charges, poi-san-allie

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's been going on that long I've forgot most of the case. What's the compelling evidence he did actually rape someone?

Testimony of the victims, for me. I mean no, I don't have video evidence of him going "and now I, Julian Assange, will rape you, mwaahahahahaha" on camera and then doing so, but the timing of the victims reports and lack of previous acquaintance between them is compelling enough for me.

I mean, I tend to assume the alleged rape victim isn't lying for shits and giggles, so I admit I'm biased.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Jullian Assange is one of the most wanted people in the world by the USA who have treated Chelsea Manning appallingly, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there are elements to this case which go a little beyond the usual 'he said she said she said'.

Yes, I'm sure the Swedish leftists were actually American CIA plants who used their hoover vaginas to suck in his penis to cry rape so that America could chuck him in Gitmo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thehustler posted:

You can do that in Sweden? jesus.

In specific circumstances. Such as if you tell someone you don't need protection because you're sterile when that's not true. In cases like that the partner can retroactively withdraw consent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

This is the only rape case where I don't automatically side with the victim.

So in other words "rape is bad, unless it's politically convenient to assume the bitch is lying."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

interesting choice of words to put in his mouth

Interesting choice of motive to put in her vagina.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I agree that the amount of time and effort put into this case is clearly political in nature, but dropping the "rape is awful" principle because it doesn't fit your political narrative is as gross as the people dismissing the victims in Cologne just because racists tried to co-opt them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's not like WikiLeaks even needs Assange around, it has other people on staff who are perfectly capable of running it. All he's doing is permanently associating any leaks with "oh by the way WikiLeaks founder and still-current staff member Rapey Assange is still hiding in an embassy, let's talk about that instead of the horrific corruption that was uncovered."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"?

Yes, why do you feel the alleged rape victim is guilty of libel?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

How did you come up with this from my post?

Either the person is guilty of the crime, or they are a victim of libel. To assume innocent until proven guilty means the accuser is guilty of libel until proven innocent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course that's not how it works but if he's going to leap to a rapist's defence I'm going to be difficult with him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

nobody is really defending him i think you should calm down

Mmmm, and yet him wringing his hands and going "BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" after all the things people have posted strikes me as a little disingenuous, hence my disingenuous retort about libel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Not your livelihood: your reputation.

I imagine how it has affected your livelihood would be taken into account when and if damages are awarded.

That is correct.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

In extremely tangentially related news, any of you who'd planned on getting to rough up some turbosexists this Saturday will have to find something else to do, because that mass MRA meet has been cancelled.

DoucheV's bravery is legendary. :laugh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

Might want to check the timestamp on DesperateDan's post that actually explained what happened and see that he posted while I was typing out mine before you start acting like a prick.

Nah.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I would support the rise of the judge system

If it led to a mass shooting of landed gentry I would accept the Judge system.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

(Eurofash chat) By the way big scary monsters I like OhYeah pulling the "I have plenty of immigrant friends" card when he is a massive racist. We were lamenting in D&D chat that we can only find left-wing Latvians and Lithuanians on the forums and all the Estonians are far-right scum. Comical since Estonian is closer to Finnish than the other Baltics and they share the same neo-Nazi tendancy too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

New UKIP PPB has a lot more shades of the BNP since the explicit racists got deregistered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno5lHA-LY8

I posted that a few pages back, I loved the green screen twist

Coohoolin posted:

It's funny because in my experience Estonians tend to be more lefty than Latvians and Lithuanians. Although then again I know far more Lithuanians than anyone else so might be skewed...

Being closer to Finland they benefited from seeing social democracy in action so that tends to skew it. The problem is that SA doesn't necessarily pick the representatives of the general public for its posters, hence why UKMT leans left while the country leans fash. If you know any Estonian goons pls share.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I don't really know most of the posters there yet having previously only read the thread when drinking. There's a German guy who doesn't seem that keen on Greeks and a Finnish guy who seems pretty excitable and then a bunch of others who post things about immigrants...? A good crowd, I'm sure.

Someone a few days ago referred to it as "the place where each regional politics thread delegates its worst posters to circlejerk about how bad foreign people are with one or two patient leftists to add variety"

Which isn't really fair as our only regular poster in there is LemonDrizzle who isn't awful.

I post in there from time to time but it's just so many lovely racist posts that I end up basically finding myself in a flame war within two posts. I really should just unfollow it but I want to know what's happening around Europe, just without all the Nazis coming to stroke their dicks about dead Syrians.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought that whole point of a salt is that it's half organic, half-inorganic. Or do you mean naturally-occuring?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes, but sodium chloride is half organic (Chlorine) and half inorganic (Sodium). I suppose what I meant was that the cations are provided by metals and the anions by non-metals, as opposed to organic/inorganic which refers to the chemistry of those relative metal classifications.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Chlorine isn't organic, organic chemistry is generally hydrocarbons.

The halogens are definitely part of organic chemistry. Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine pop up in plenty of organic chemistry.

I'm rusty as gently caress on it but I did do Chemistry to A-level.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

This: an organic compound is generally just one with carbon in it, somewhere.

Well yes, but unless the human body is solely diamond and graphite I'm guessing we have other things in there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well it was more to do with covalent bonds vs. ionic bonds, but the distinction does melt down with more complicated compounds, I agree.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, but I suppose my question was how monosodium glutamate is organic given it's a salt, which is ionically bonded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, but it ionically bonds, which has always been the defining thing of inorganic chemistry, I mean like even going from the wikipedia page on 'inorganic chemistry' brings up salts almost immediately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_chemistry#Key_concepts

• Locked thread