Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

UKMT February 2016
Say what you like about the fascists, at least they made the threads run on time got a beating in Dover.

February is Valentine's Day Month
Marxists are Red
Tories are Blue
The Condition of the Working Class in 2016 is Bad
And That Includes You
:yayclod:

What happened over January?
• A bunch of good people died, including forums poster Fluo and some famous people. :(
• Tata Steel decided that South Wales has way too many jobs at the moment and decided to cut a bunch in Port Talbot.
• The Draft Communications Data Bill (Snooper's Charter) and Psychoactive Substances Bill (Ban Everything Charter) continue to move forward with seeming inevitability. Look forward to April's thread where air is banned.
• Equal Civil Partnerships got blocked by the High Court, but an appeal is allowed and the companion bill continues to move through the commons.
• Hammer Horror caricature Iain Duncan Smith continues to spend more money than he's saving on fighting challenges against 'Fit to Work' policies and under-occupancy penalties.
• Some PUA guy who believes that rape should be legal on private property has announced a bunch of events across the UK where he encourages people to meet him on private property.
• Jeremy Corbyn continued to refuse to name his cat, cementing his unelectability.
• There was some snow. That's vaguely not poo poo, right? Unless you had to get anywhere.
• This got added to a school politics slideshow somewhere, in case you are not sure if you are Literally Hitler or not:

Previous Threads
UKMT January 2016 - Not The Best Month
UKMT December 2015 - Happy Xmas (War Is Over (lolno))
UKMT November 2015
UKMT October 2015
UKMT September 2015 - David Cameron (FADP)

Pedogeddon Thread

Fash Thread

#ukgoons on synIRC, in which crispix encourages us to mock Question Time.

Finally, please keep the following points in mind:

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;
13. Patienceflaps has oceans of piss.

And as an endcrust to all this:

e: For all those who want to do something in memory of Fluo, please read the details below (thanks Serotonin):

quote:

David Bridges Funeral is the 18th Feb 1.30pm at South Bristol Crematorium. All are welcome Please come dressed as you feel comfortable. Black is not a requirement.
Afterwards at the Cross Hands Pub for refreshments. We will then move on to the Seven Stars, Bristol where we will have some of David's home made beer to taste.

Please feel free to come to any above to celebrate David's life.

We don't want any flowers, however donations to Bristol Mind are welcome.
https://www.justgiving.com/Brenda-B...paign=pfp-share

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Wait Fluo died? Beer guy?
Yeah, there's stuff from people that know more about it than I on ~p173 of the last thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

Disappointed that "Fash Thread" didn't link to Europol, think you covered pretty much everything else though!
Good idea. We never normally link to Europol but I encourage anyone in future OPs to have 'Fash Thread' and 'Other Fash Thread' and alternate the URLs randomly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

what the gently caress is this bullshit
A bad idea from a few years back, and a symbol of ruination.

They should post the addresses of the homeowners who complained and see how much their flats are worth afterwards.

If, of course, some people were to take some legally ill-advised action which could not be condoned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol just saw someone for the better together campaign assure the BBC that more will be done to get rid of EU rules on maternity leave and a max 48 hour work week if we stay in the EU.
Yay, let's go for the worst of both worlds!
:negative:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EU is probably good for Britain. I'm not convinced it is good for the rest of the world though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'd like to think that coming out of the EU and restricting the free movement of labour from the continent might make people less awful when it comes to accepting people like refugees, etc, but I doubt that would be the case and we'd just end up even worse off.
Another big problem with the free movement of labor within the EU is that it essentially creates a two tier migration system, where one group of people (who are, coincidentally, over 90% white) are allowed free movement within this club, whereas everyone else in the world (who are, also coincidentally, about 90% not) are told to gently caress off by a combination of explicit EU rules and perverse incentives for member states to reduce non-EU immigration.
EU policy is essentially a big "no blacks or Asians" sign but it's in 24 different languages so it can claim to be multicultural.

I agree that I don't think everyone in the UK would become magically less racist overnight if there was a Brexit, but there is a big issue there that I don't think either side wants to address. The anti side has become dominated by rightist nationalists who believe all immigration is a threat to the purity of our vital bodily fluids, and the pro side is mostly handwaving liberals talking about how it's not racist to impose limits on (non-EU) immigration while allowing the EU club special preference. There is a strain of far less overt Eurocentric white separatism in parts of the pro-EU camp that is far less overt than the English or British nationalists but it is still there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Really? I thought most of the victims of the Belgians were Congolese.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

I hope so

Shoulda taken an icepick to simon danszuck d1 imo
Better to just wait for Danczuk to impale himself on his own slender prong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

Is a moustache still a moustache if it's part of a beard?
Only if it is separately distinct, like the Tsar Nicholas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

Then Stella Creasy tried to call Cameron out on PFI deals, forgetting those were Blairs thing. Well she wasn't around for it I guess, but loving hell she's good at punching her own party in the kidneys.
Blair needs a punch in the kidneys.

Tesseraction posted:

For the record, he was Imperator Nicholas. Russia stopped being a Tsardom in the 1700s, despite the mistaken use of it since.
I thought they kept the use of the monarchial title even when they stopped being a Tsardom?
He's better known under the title of Corpse though :ussr:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they're wanking off Amazon and Google while they're loving the workers, so that neither of them get soft when it's their turn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That is a work of typographic art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bedshaped posted:

A friend of mine is a white English expat living and working in Malta. But he gets very upset with how 'English culture' is being eroded by foreign people coming there to live/work. He doesn't like it when I confront him about the irony.
Yeah, there's a lot of petty xenophobia within the EU between the various member states, especially those like Britain or France who believe that they have some sort of monopoly on culture. But they can have that internal attitude and also a shittier attitude towards migrants from Africa, Asia, etc. as a whole superstate. There's more than enough European shittiness to go around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

nigel garage's signature features an inverted cross
Nah they just captured it halfway finished.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EFF has a nice teardown of how terrible the new Investigatory Powers Bill is likely to be.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/ipb-loopholes-within-loopholes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the US has taken in about 2.5k.

Both are shameful but really anyone other than the US has better grounds to slam Britain.

e: Except Saudi Arabia, because they're racist fucks to a degree that even the UK and US look like bastions of humanity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yes we are because the government is spending more than it wants to.

Do not call attention to the fact that this is because the government doesn't want to spend anything.
Yeah, it's exactly this. Immigrants are driving down wages because there's no way that we can extract the same amounts that we want to for capital interests with more workers without a temporary increase in working class concessions, which is just uncalled for.

DesperateDan posted:

The EU is in such a shitstate that pigfucker will get his minor concessions and the tabloids will have more than enough from that to u-turn on decades of blaming the EU to say "oh well maybe we should stay in after all" if only briefly enough to get past the referendum so they can get back to the status quo.
I'm not a massive EU fan, but seriously this loving thing where the biggest concern that anyone has with the EU is 'too many immigrants' is the worst. Can they really not find any larger issue to dislike the EU for? Neoliberalism? Austerity?
(Is there any actual bad thing that the EU is pushing that the Tories aren't pushing more?)

e:

Ratjaculation posted:

Is this still the place to find someone to blame for my bins not being emptied?!
It's neoliberalism and austerity. Also your local council, but chances are they're having their funding cut to the bone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I understand their primary import is giant penes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

I think political and economic ties between the major european powers are a good thing for stopping them going to war as that worked out really badly last time.
Trident and la Force de dissuasion probably do a better job of that. Or at least making sure that the result would be that nobody outside wanted and nobody inside was in a position to worry about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are plenty of places that speak British English that are hot and will allow you to have a beach and a pool without disrupting local culture, and some of them will even allow you to whine about foreign influence unironically. :australia:

Some of them might require you to learn additional languages as well and not be a total racist until you're within your own home though, the tyranny. :vuvu:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Also I understand that the article itself goes on to describe how it's actually talking about the UK as a whole, not just England.
People who use 'England' when they mean 'Britain' or 'the UK' should be shot.

Extreme0 posted:

So god allows the use of weed then?

Cool.
Yup. It's popular for stoners to quote Gen. 1:29
"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."
But more generally, God allows the use of all drugs as long as they don't make you chat poo poo like a prick.
"What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them." - Matt. 15:11

StoneOfShame posted:

Just to make sure in case you missed it at the time, the bake comment was about the bakers who refused to take an order for a cake that had Bert and Ernie and a gay rights slogan, it went to court and from the comment I guess EU law meant the court found that to be discriminatory, because well it loving is homophobic baking bastards.
Is it? I thought the current law on cakes and discrimination was that you couldn't deny someone a cake based on a protected class. Like if you do wedding cakes with fancy icing swirls, you can't deny me one because I'm marrying a person of the same sex, or because I'm marrying a woman of a different race, or because I'm getting married in a mosque.
If I want you to put a slogan that you find offensive on a cake, which you would deny as a service for someone no matter what their gender or race or sexuality, then afaik that isn't covered by anti-discrimination law.
Although the EU claimed that they discriminated against him based on his 'political beliefs', not his sexuality, so if so I'm going to find some Northern Irish bakers to inquire about green white and orange cakes with a picture of Gerry Adams and rubber ducks shooting flames out of their beaks on either side. (I'm a big supporter of bathtime.)

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 4, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

Haha this eu benefits brake thing is forcing the eurosceptics to argue that eu immigrants don't claim a lot of benefits
They don't though do they?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

football isn't an italian invention
But young men can still join the fascists by visiting Chelsea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

They don't but the eurosceptics have been quick to suggest that they do for a long time
The right wing eurosceptics just basically repeat "Immigrants! Benefits! Muslims!" over and over again until they become synonymous with bad, but left wing eurosceptics seem to go mostly with the EU undermining collective bargaining and being generally bad for benefits for all its members (except those members that are big businesses or banks, they get lots of benefits).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He should be sent to trial as charged, and reprimanded to the letter of the law if found guilty, however any attempt to move him to the US should be tackled with extreme prejudice. I don't trust him, but I trust them less.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I like Turkey and think it is halal so perhaps Muslims do too. Perhaps UKIP is the party for us all?
Turkey is only halal if it is killed via halal butchery.

Which for poultry is the removal of the head with a sharp blade in one stroke, which is exactly the same way that factories in the UK kill poultry. But they say a foreign prayer afterwards which turns your kids muslamic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Interestingly, 75% of British turkeys and 25% of British chickens are now killed by Controlled Atmosphere Systems which sounds vastly more humane and reliable than decapitation or all of the dodgy aspects in practice of electrical stunning.
They're stunned by inert gas, usually argon, but they're still killed by a big rotating or oscillating blade.
The stunning is permitted by halal as long as it's still the blade that kills them, so any that do die during the stunning have to be sold as non-halal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Syncopated posted:

Assange needs to go to court in Sweden, what is the alternative? Does he get a 'get out of jail free' card because he is wanted by the US?
He needs to go to court in Sweden, but the US needs to be kept at arms length from this.

He's in the same situation as someone who has been accused of a crime in the immediate aftermath of pissing off a large and powerful organized crime family. He needs to go to trial but it's not unreasonable for the judge to demand special measures, and not unreasonable for the accused to be wary about an appearance until those are in place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Inert gas asphyxiation is the way forward for everything imho
Including humanity. We should work to reverse the Oxygen Catastrophe. :black101:

On the downside, it would mean that Assange never gets his day in court. On the plus side, it would have a positive effect on future rates sexual assault.

On a serious note it'd seem like a fairly good way for state assisted suicide, as these things go. Until then there's always Max Dog Brewing.

I think they showed that argon has less of an adverse reaction than nitrogen in birds. Sometimes nitrogen or carbon dioxide are used. Humans have no low oxygen reflex, but a high carbon dioxide reflex, so 'anything inert that isn't CO2 works', but that varies between species.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You philistine.

Seriously though, what did you expect it to be?
Scottish folk music.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Especially because Black Label Society were playing that night as well and we missed it. St Isaac's was nice though, even though the old woman behind me would NOT stop rummaging around in her plastic bag for food.
Did she offer you any?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Either the person is guilty of the crime, or they are a victim of libel. To assume innocent until proven guilty means the accuser is guilty of libel until proven innocent.
Innocent until proven guilty applies to the accuser as well as the accused.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

it did get him international recognition though so mission accomplished
Yeah, none of his stunts have been about achieving anything but his own fame, site traffic, and book sales. He doesn't care about anything else, not even 'men's rights'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Assange should be fine as long as he stays away from any staircases then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't they smuggle him out in a huge diplomatic bag? The Soviet Union was fond of that one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Chlorine isn't organic, organic chemistry is generally hydrocarbons.
It's kind of a silly distinction being originally based on the idea that organic chemicals could only be created by living things and inorganic chemicals could be made by reactions in a lab. Then in the early 19th century some German guy made a piss in his lab and then Germany spent the next 100 years dominating org. chem.

But yeah the distinction is mainly that org. chem. is concerned with carbon atoms and the myriad different functional groups that can attach to them, and attracts a lot of guys with beards.

e:

Tesseraction posted:

The halogens are definitely part of organic chemistry. Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine pop up in plenty of organic chemistry.

I'm rusty as gently caress on it but I did do Chemistry to A-level.
Yeah, the halogens are one of those types of functional groups, so they're part of org. chem. when they're bonded to a carbon. Chloroform (trichloromethane) is organic. Sodium chloride is inorganic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but it ionically bonds, which has always been the defining thing of inorganic chemistry, I mean like even going from the wikipedia page on 'inorganic chemistry' brings up salts almost immediately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_chemistry#Key_concepts
If either of the ions is organic it gets called an organic salt though. Like if all the bonds within that particular ion are covalent and involve a carbon backbone, except for one that gains or loses an electron to the other ion.

There are very few things with clear cut lines, and there are some bonds that are elongated to the point of almost being ionic but are kinda covalent too, but they have to be labeled otherwise we get into metalinguistics or random grunting sounds. Or both.

e: Palladium is cool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

IUPAC holds a royal rumble every decade and the winner gets to decide which branch gets supremacy.
And the shouting noises are recorded and used to revise IUPAC nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

oh he used it for teaching too, we learned to make painkillers and he taught us the method for creating heroin
That was a question in one of my chemistry books.

Something along the lines of "Given x grams of morphine, how many g of acetic anhydride would be needed to fully acetylize it to heroin? How many g of heroin will be produced?"

But according to the Home Office nobody knew this at all before the internet and it was all kept under lock and key and not a recommended text.

• Locked thread