Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The EU reform deal was apparently enough to get Theresa May onside with the Remain campaign, so the duelling Leave campaigns have lost their last potential mainstream figurehead. The campaign to take us out of the EU will be led by two warring groups of frothing turbonutters with nobody who is remotely sane or has any meaningful pull with the general public to call them to heel. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
europol is good posting times with a wide range of national, cultural, and political viewpoints represented. a shining example to the rest of d&d.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Sounds about right for Barry.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but I suppose my question was how monosodium glutamate is organic given it's a salt, which is ionically bonded.
Glutamate is an organic anion.

e: the thing below is a representation of its structure. Each vertex that isn't tagged with a letter represents one carbon atom. See how it has a long chain of such vertices? That, loosely, is what makes it organic.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 4, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Many inorganic species are salts, but plenty are not - for example, chlorine gas is certainly inorganic but not a salt. You can even have inorganic compounds that have quite a lot of carbon in them, like tetrakis(triphenylphosphine)palladium(0).

AMA palladium catalysis. Or, you know, don't

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

I find it's an easy way to tell who has zero existential merit.
Tony Benn, Michael Foot, and Aung San Suu Kyi, for example?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TACD posted:

Wow, I'd not read this before but it rings very true. I distinctly remember the point at school when our good maths teacher (who took the time to make things interesting) left and was replaced by a miserable woman who literally told us to open to a page and do the problems while she tore up old exam papers. I gave up on maths (and later, physics) when the entire subject turned into learning the correct procedure for laying out sums.

I've always felt that a lack of a solid mathematical background is a major academic weakness for me - I've been looking at Khan Academy to do some catching up, are there any other good resources I should know about? (I'd like to get familiar with calculus in particular).
edX has some very good maths courses, and if you're not interested in getting a certificate or chatting to people who are also studying the course, you can usually do them even if the course is nominally 'finished'.

These from MIT might be suitable for what you want:
https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1a-differentiation-mitx-18-01-1x
https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1b-integration-mitx-18-01-2x
https://www.edx.org/course/calculus-1c-coordinate-systems-infinite-mitx-18-01-3x

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Jose posted:

Since someone linked edx courses earlier and there seem to be a couple of mathematicians in the thread and maybe some other people have studied statistics. Can anyone recommend an online course for it since i have no loving clue what I'm looking for. Just introductions to it

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-probability-science-mitx-6-041x-1

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
naughty naughty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZKn3qXKAc

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Apparently tories fiddled expenses in thanet south. That might make things interesting as UKIP are much more likely to pursue a legal case.
Not just Thanet South but Newark, Clacton, and Rochester too: http://www.channel4.com/news/conservatives-appear-to-have-overspent-on-three-by-elections

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Mr. Conservatives is totally not affiliated with the Conservative & Unionist Party and so there is no reason whatsoever that spending on his accommodation and wages should've been included in the submissions to the electoral commission.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Let's play "spot the people who're going to die of cirrhosis before reaching retirement."

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

Tory MP has to move back in with his parents because of house prices being too high http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/10/housing-prices--conservative-mp-william-wragg-back-home-to-mum

Of course it seems more like it's because he's a knob who thinks a 3-4 bedroom is too small for him.
I'd be very wary of buying a house with a big mortgage relative to my income if I were a junior MP in a marginal seat - you could find yourself losing your well-paid job in five years and be left with a mortgage that you couldn't possibly afford to continue servicing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Labour closer to UKIP than to the Tories. Such times we live in.

Congrats on the purchase, flaps. Welcome to the wonderful world of things like Saturday morning trips to B&Q for tools and materials to replace a length of skirting board.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Corbyn's net favourability according to that ComRes poll is -29%.
IDS' is -22%.

So it goes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/698854662548619264

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

HorseLord posted:

How the gently caress does that work? Are they going to run down a list of everything you buy and go "excuse me sir, I notice your group bought clipboards from some innocuous company in wales. Did you know there's a bloodstained alternative you could have bought instead?"
I imagine that there are standard public procurement guidelines that they have to follow whereby they select suppliers based purely on cost/quality; the rule will mean that if an "unethical" company offers the best deal, the purchasing body will be required to accept their bid.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

Going back to that video, I'm really not sure that "what is broken cannot be mended" is the best argument for him to make to encourage the UK to stay in the EU. :yum:
He wasn't addressing that to the British public so much as the heads of government and their negotiating teams - basically, "thrash out a deal, you idiots, it's better to reach some kind of compromise than to bring the whole bloody edifice down around your ears over some stupid point of pride."

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The nation's top ten gripes according to the Sun:

:britain::britain::britain::britain::britain::britain::britain:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

XMNN posted:

Wait, the Express is considered to be middle-market ie not tabloid dreck??
Doesn't show tits but isn't a broadsheet therefore middle market?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
well, this is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGtePm2vaFQ

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
A day off is a day on which you only work for nine hours.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

As a European who is only interested in British politics from now till June I have to ask, are your voters/politicians really this retarded? I'm sorry but even the Greeks wanted to forge a new relation with Russia, who at least are a former superpower with nukes and a certain cultural bond.

Why would you want to leave the EU just to forge a relationship with Iran? Next up Cuba and North Korea?
George Galloway is a total loving fruitloop and one of the most widely disliked famous people in the country.

Also, one of the staggers' journos has made an interesting observation about why Farage's out campaign wanted Galloway:

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/700795329650806786

There are currently two Leave campaigns duking it out to be the official one that actually gets to campaign during the referendum period - Nigel Farage's Grassroots Out, and the 'mainstream' Tory-led Vote Leave. The electoral commission will determine which one gets to be the official Leave group, and the criteria they use are shown in that image. GO clearly represents a wider range of groups wanting an exit, including both mainstream and... less mainstream... parties, so they should have an advantage. It'll be loving brilliant if Farage gets it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

There's also the chance that the EU itself could fall apart after Brexit, according to European news sources at least, which would be a net benefit for countries outside the EU.
How on earth do you figure that the collapse of the EU and the attendant destabilization of Europe would be beneficial for anybody?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
OK, but why do you believe that the major European nations would be less protectionist or more inclined to deal with the consequences of their actions outside the EU? I mean, what part of pre-EU european history suggests that that is a likely outcome? It's especially weird to bash the EU for protectionism - as a large liberal trading bloc, it's far far less protectionist than countries such as France would be outside its constraints.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

Reading through the agreement I'm going to get hosed by the renegotiation already, since it takes out the right for third-country nationals who marry a non-uk citizen to stay in the UK. Unless the non-uk citizen establishes residence in the country for the first time after the marriage. Which already doesn't apply to me. gently caress.

I'd say I hate this country sometimes but I actually don't and would like citizenship someday, so uhh, I hate people who hate immigrants?
Presumably there will be some kind of transitional arrangement or exception for people who are already here under the current rules - I can't imagine that they'll just be saying "on yer bike" to however many thousands of people are in your situation. Have you been here long enough to apply for permanent leave to remain in your own right rather than as the spouse of an EU citizen? If so, and if your finances permit, that may be the best thing to do.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

The problem is I'm not married right now. I have an EU citizenship and as I said I'd probably be allowed to stay (under some conditions) even after a Brexit, but I'd like to one day live in the UK married to a non-EU partner, and, well, welp.

Going to get a few drinks I think.
Ah, I got the wrong impression - I thought it was you rather than your partner who is the non-EU citizen. If your partner is currently resident in the UK, shouldn't he/she be able to secure indefinite leave to remain eventually?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

She probably won't be able to stay in the uk for long enough to qualify, since currently she's a student but she won't be able to get a work visa afterwards.
Ah, that's rough. My wife had to go through the ILR process about a decade ago and it was an expensive time-consuming pain in the arse even with me being a UK citizen and her being from the commonwealth; sounds like it's become significantly more painful and expensive since then.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Coohoolin posted:

The common travel area is still there without the EU, though, right? I won't have to go back to Switzerland or anything?
One of the big aims of the Leave-ers is to abolish the automatic right of EU and EEA EFTA citizens to live and work here, so while there would certainly be transitional arrangements allowing people currently here to stay for a while, there's no guarantee that would be longer than a few years. Given the stated desire to adopt a points-based entry system, it's entirely possible that you'd eventually be required to leave if you didn't have an in-demand professional skillset or employer sponsorship.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 20, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

Every person in the EU/UK can emigrate to Switzerland, because of Free Movement treaties Switzerland had to accept to get market access.
At least until 2017, when the Swiss government will be constitutionally obliged to withdraw from the free movement treaties.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dabir posted:

What happens in 2017?
In 2014, the Swiss held a national referendum on restricting EU immigration. The side that wanted restrictions won, and under Swiss law the government must act on referenda within three years. Any action they could possibly take that is consistent with the referendum's outcome would violate Switzerland's bilateral deals with the EU concerning free movement and market access, and the EU has said that if the Swiss break one of the bilaterals, they will all be void; effectively, Switzerland will be cut out of the common market: http://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/swiss-edge-toward-possible-swexit-from-eu-bilateral-pacts/

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Corvo posted:

I'm curious to see if all those people who didn't bother voting during the last election will come out the woodwork for the next one or if we'll still have a huge chunk of the country risk the Tories remaining in power. I like to think that they regret not voting, anyways.
All of the available data indicates that non-voters are not appreciably more left-wing than people who do turn out: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/09/can-non-voters-win-next-election-labour

Dabir posted:

What if they held a referendum about not acting on the last referendum?
There is a group that wants to do this, but (i) there's apparently a long gap (like, multiple years) between gathering enough support for a referendum and it actually being held and (ii) the SVP, which is the right wing populist/anti-immigration party that got the ball rolling on the anti-immigration referendum, is currently by far the most popular political party in Switzerland; it was over 10% ahead of its closest rivals in the 2015 election. It's not very likely that a new referendum would produce a different outcome.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fans posted:

People in Labour take this not as "The youth are engaged" but "Oh god it's Militant all over again! Trotskyist infiltrators are here to destroy us all!"
The turnout for the election was 3.5%. Engagement that is not.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/701179712303972352

That might make things a bit closer.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/701346171961348100
Unusual for polls to include Norn Iron.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
At least you'll be spared debates about whether it's a language or a dialect.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau.... :cryingdragongoeshere:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Zac Goldsmith has decided to support the Leave campaign, which means he's almost certainly just thrown the London mayoral election.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

I have a question for you Brits:

It seems that you have a problem with housing problem and not just in the center of big cities, where it is expected, but also in places where you have huge tracts of land that are unused. Why are you not building more houses? That seems like it would be an easy solution.
Two main reasons. First, we have regulations governing urban sprawl - all major conurbations are surrounded by a "green belt" on which new building is effectively prohibited. Second, our planning system is quite hidebound and current residents have considerable power to block new development in their area if they don't like it for whatever reason.

In the specific case of Shirebrook, however, it seems more likely that there's a simpler explanation: a new large low-wage employer set up in the town, causing an influx of new residents with relatively little spending power. There's not much incentive for developers to start building for this new population because they can't afford to pay much for accommodation, and nobody else is going to step in to subsidise them so they just divide up the existing homes into progressively smaller subunits instead.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 21, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

It sounds like a good idea would be to reform these problems than? It sounds like a lot of red tape and as a lot of your politicians seem to want to cut red tape, that should be the first step.
Yes. Unfortunately, that would also be massively contentious because a lot of people want to preserve the current arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

UnquietDream posted:

On that topic, are there any thread recommended books about the history of the UK housing market and current trends with graphs and the like? Specifically not books that just focus on London which I know is a nightmare in and of itself.
You could try Danny Dorling's All That is Solid (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IADQ8SC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1) - I found it a bit repetitive and poorly edited, but there's some interesting stuff in there. I also recommend this BBC documentary on the history of council housing, although it's more about social and political history than the market per se:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVGMyo40SyE

• Locked thread