Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jrbg
May 20, 2014

My least favourite class in school was chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cameron's pretty hosed if we get a leave result. So at least there's that.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

People indulge themselves in guessing at migrant's intentions and desires in such simplistic childlike ways it's kind of ridiculous that it's passed off as fact. That people in general agree with the statement that claiming welfare is their main concern (especially when we have a refugee crisis) is quite depressing. So I'm not surprised when people hand-wring and say "but they'll find it very hard to integrate" – as if, if that was true, the immigrants hadn't thought of that. That's what the immigration debate is basically characterised by, a refusal to empathise.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Founding Fathers Gove, Osborne and Cameron.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tbh the biggest threat to free speech in this country isn't clumsy undergraduate student politicians because they have zero effect in that region. There's more of a culture of whining about left-wing students than there is of perfidious censorhawks. So if you're on that side of decrying the failures of the young left, congrats, you're going to win that battle. How sensible.

Meanwhile there are actual, powerful threats to freedom of speech and the freedom of ideas that do in fact come from this very government. But the energy everyone who moans about this one student is not expended on Prevent or such like.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This youth culture of banning things you disagree with has to stop! :ohdear:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think she personally was mistaken to no platform him, I still find it hard to particularly care. I doubt whoever leaked it knew she wasn't out to her parents, I'd have guessed she was, given her position. I also doubt this one young person doing something inadvisable is actually an important piece of evidence of the young left's disdain for civil liberties.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

a generation of coddled babies

This is the kind of hysterical poo poo I'm talking about smh

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

When you've got people demanding trigger warnings before lectures at university then you can't really use the word hysterical

Which people, how many, what lectures? While the 'hysteria' depends on those three questions, let's assume the jury's out and they are hysterical. How much power do they actually wield? Are they winning the argument or are the cards stacked against them?

e: the basic underlying question is of course why should anyone care about any of this, but in attempting to inject a more self-critical stance into the thread, I've exacerbated the problem D:

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Here's an article from 2014 describing how rape law is being excluded from some law curriculum
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trouble-teaching-rape-law

"Some students have even suggested that rape law should not be taught because of its potential to cause distress." The writer says some, but that's weasel word of the worst degree. Does she mean like 40%? Of course not. Everyone agrees that that's stupid. You're deluded if you think young people in general think that's a good thing. There's a raft of articles online by people who are really concerned about youths being super-offended all the time (it's because people like to view these articles). I still see like zero evidence beyond these personal anecdotes. None of this adds up to an 'encroaching culture' or 'a generation of whiney crybabies who need to man up'.

Btw students not engaging with material in the way they should is in fact the teacher's responsibility to address, even though not necessarily their fault. I think asking for trigger warnings regarding material on rape is not really such a bad idea. In fact from a pedagogical perspective it enables people to learn, which is what she wants. But that's not what she likes because: "Criminal-law teachers face a similar question with law students who are afraid to study rape law," by which she means talk about rape in general, possibly because they've been raped. At no point in this article has she asked herself why they've adopted this stance. She just thinks the stance itself is wrong. You've used the fact she's complaining as evidence the stance is widespread. I still don't see what exactly this all amounts to, especially since she hasn't mentioned rape law actually being excluded from the curriculum like you said, revealingly.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

So your argument against this actually existing is that it should exist but doesn't?

What

no

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

4 seem to have blocked the good/original version, but there's also Charlie Brooker's Sun Witch Hunt rant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOeygepVL8s. The lovely music overlay is annoying. So sorry.

The music sounds like it's ripped off an inspirational video by a Christian youth group.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress's sake. You know the European Working Time Directive, that thing that prevents us being worked to death by our slavedriving overlords?

Yeah, they're trying to stop that applying to doctors via private members' bill http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2015-2016/0046/16046.pdf

Fuckers.

(Also, overtime and travel time in a move which will surprise basically no in-home care workers anywhere).

:commissar:

Why does it irk me that this is in Palatino font

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This EU mess is hilarious to me, despite being a huge mess, because I can't help but imagine David Cameron as someone who actually believed he was a master statesman who would walk out of this with an easy victory

Like, why is he even doing this? I really can't see what he stands to gain versus the potential risk.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Young males don't like a tv show made by mature women for mature women? Hold the front page.

Yeah, I'm sure if you're an older woman it has a lot that's relevant and interesting. Then again I've never watched it.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The referendum will apparently be June 23

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

TinTower posted:

So during Glastonbury. Are we sure Dave wants to win this?

And Euro 2016 I think

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

no matches that day, last day of group games is the day before which also happens to be my 36th birthday

Yes, but won't we all be incredibly excited by are boys smashing it?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

We're the place where Marx died, and having buried him in the ground his tree grows here.

Germany buried Hitler, and his tree grows there.

Ober owns tho.

Didn't the Red Army throw his ashes into the sewage system or the river or something

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

Chocolate covered raisins are strictly inferior to chocolate coated coffee beans.

Choccie raisins are God's food and if you want to fight about it you're welcome friend

I have them with cheap Aldi wine when I have time to game of an evening.

e: they honestly pair well a nice (by nice I mean cheap poo poo plonk) red

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

StoneOfShame posted:

Aldi wine can be pretty decent and price wise is astounding value for money I recommend their Venturer Costières de Nîmes, I rqrepy buy cheap wine as I dont see the point in drinking poo poo, but that bottle for about a fiver is pretty nice and really good value.

For £5 you can get plonk in Sainsbury's or whatever or good wine in Aldi. Problem is I'm such a skinflint I'll plump for the £3 wine. The chocolate raisins are a luxury.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like bell hooks' definition of feminism: freedom from sexist oppression. It means you don't have to specify genders and gets you away from debating with the likes of "equality of opportunity or equality of outcome huh?!" types. The whole 'equality' thing is specious in my view since it downplays the value that difference can bring to a positive movement for change (note I'm not saying structural inequalities are good but that differences in background are OK and not necessarily divisive).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Re: a UKMT recommended reading list I was recommended Economics: A User's Guide by Ha-Joon Chang from this thread which I think would be a good one as it aims to explain things at babby level to the reader. Which I liked.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

He won if you know absolutely nothing about the current junior doctor's issue, but you somehow care enough to watch PMQs anyway

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

What does won mean in this case?

Literally getting in sick burns about your mum and lying through your teeth into looking statesmanlike. Meanwhile your mates laugh for about a minute because you called Corbyn scruffy

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cameron to be fair did answer Corbyn this PMQs, just by doubling down (almost literally) on the allegations that the NHS doesn't provide sufficient 7-day care, saying that 11000 patients, not 6000 die because of it. For this alone people are willing to give up all critical thinking and declare him the winner of the great political debates of our time. There need not be an election in 2020, because we know Corbyn will have lost everything, with his scruffy suit. Now, for we are in the Church of the Holy Tory Backbench, let us bray:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jerusalem Post makes up poo poo rumour, possibly to make entire world vomit simultaneously:
There is no light in the void:

quote:

So while Israeli radio listeners hear speculation about London Mayor Boris Johnson and the prime minister’s wife, Samantha Cameron, people in London are denied that pleasure. Apart from the fact that these rumours almost certainly have no basis, it seems odd that the British media seems to have been stricken dumb. What is muzzling the British media?

I for one am happy that if this even is a rumour our media our cowards, because the less time I spend thinking about Boris' Johnson the better

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Trickjaw posted:

This article is from June 2013.

That'll learn me, oops

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Not to get all USPol on my beloved UKMT, but my understanding is one of the big draws for Trump is that despite being Trump he is attractive to working class union voters. He talks about businesses offshoring jobs to cheaper labour markets and leaving people out of jobs back home, and offers a very different Republican platform (apart from the slightly ramped-up racism) to more conservative-minded precarious workers, who for 30 years of voting R and being told that the free market is inherently supportive of conservative values have had nothing to show for free-market lovin' but Chinese dominance and 2 poo poo wars. Clinton reiterating her neoliberal schtick would be vulnerable to Trump whose voters simply see her as part of a venal, patrician elite who poo poo on them constantly.

That said I still simply don't see the situation that affirms Trump sweeping the nation and becoming president. People will turn out to vote against Trump, nobody hates Hillary that much. But please US, really don't gently caress it up.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think we should get Theresa May to deport non-jam-likers

The potential for them to say something mean to a nice old lady who makes crabapple jam or something is too high.

e: also I remember having this discussion about greatest Britons before; the attitude to history that sees it as Great People doing Great Things is Not Correct, yous lot

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Miftan posted:

I would also never say anything mean to a nice old lady.

Yeah but how do you know?????????????????

jabby posted:

So on the junior doctors front, this is a thing now:

gently caress the Tories. THIS IS WHY WE ARE ON STRIKE.

Don't get ill, UKMT friends. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I go to the Sam Smith pub nearby and that's lovely. There's the occasional racist clientele muttering about 'our coloured friends' who can gently caress off though

• Locked thread