Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My housemate is going to be running to be a councillor in Worsley. It's a tory safe seat in Salford where last election 1500 voted Tory, 900 voted Labour and around 400 voted for UKIP with 200 for the greens.

I'm having a hard time finding local issues online to campaign on since we'll be there knocking on doors. Can anyone help with things that might appeal to the people of this area? The wiki shows it's posh as hell. He's from the constituency next door so he's really local but Worsley are very much seperate from the rest of Salford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Ask the people that live there themselves? It was amusing a few years back when a prospective tory candidate for councillor came around and started talking to me about how bad "all the dog poop" in the area was. Frankly, it's an aesthetic improvement when a dog shits down this street, and I'm far more concerned by things like every neighbor I have being burgled, cars being vandalised e.t.c- she lost, as the labour candidates for the ward actually live there and know the area well- had she been talking to someone a few streets away in another ward, dogshit might actually have been the major issue.

Do you know how many registered voters there are in the ward?

There's just under 3000.

I see what you're saying but in an area like that it always feels like every resident has a different "pet issue" and it's very rare to find that everyone has a paticular thing. No high crime rates and etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Robot Mil posted:

This prison reform stuff today is making me so loving mad. Cameron is going on about how 'scandalous' the state of the prisons are but making no mention of the huge increases in suicide, self harm and assaults both on prisoners and staff since 2010... and no-one seems to be talking about the huge cuts (sorry 'savings') that are being made. Why are you so surprised that things are going tits up you utter moron?? Staff numbers have been cut by 30%, budgets by £150 million, the probation service has been privatised and community services around job seeking and benefits to help rehabilitate are hosed.

Naming and shaming prisons with higher reoffending rates will just disproportionately affect local jails that release prisoners on short sentences, private prisons will start refusing to accept anyone that could affect their rating... ugh. It's all BALLS.

It doesn't help that the overriding opinion of criminals in the UK is that they're all Jack the Ripper style 'evil' mentalists who do their crimes without context. So of course they deserve punishment instead of getting anything sorted out to help. Because why are you helping the perp instead of the victim?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I found Question Time pretty depressing. "I think immigrants have been really great and worthwhile but also I want to end immigration". Even Romesh said it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

On what basis?

IDS is waiting to uncover his new second form?

The RAF wanted to use Super-Brimstone Mk. XVII in Syria but the EU just weren't encouraging further violence hard enough?

North Africa will suddenly become twice as unstable with one less EU country sticking its oar in the area?

What specific basis will thousands of people die other than "change is scary and I don't like it"?

Because all of those things other than IDS are going to happen anyway and all you're doing is allowing the Tories to take away more of our rights and for likely many jobs to be lost. Accelerationism is loving dumb and if you're voting leave because of that you're a bad person.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Accelerationism is where you deliberately make things worse in order to force them to be better at some undisclosed point in the future, not where you try to dismantle something because you believe (or have evidence) that it's an active force for bad in the world.

Leaving the EU isn't going to stop either it or us being an "active force for bad in the world". In fact it's more likely to make us even worse. And make the lives of the people here and elsewhere in the EU even worse too. How is that not accelerationism?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tortuga posted:

It just seems to me that house prices are the elephant in the room that will ultimately sway things, and given that the Tories have spent the last 40 years making sure their voters are invested up to the eyeballs in owning houses it looks like the Tories will ironically keep us in Europe

It's a shame; because everyone seems to see renting as just something temporary that they have to do in their stepping stone to getting a house they don't give a poo poo about trying to protect renters.
The idea of "buying" house and paying for it until I'm 70 just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I also wonder what it is in Scotland/Norn/Wales that makes them like the EU more. Maybe more likely to see the actual effects of membership than a Southerner in England? I wish these polls split it between north/south England too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

What does he personally think he'll gain from the country going ever more rightward?

I'm assuming he's not a large business or an aristocratic land monopolist.

Temporarily embarassed millionaire.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

In that case shouldn't he be a leftist to get the best support to improve his chance of becoming one and then do a face-heel turn the moment that he makes bank?

I believe this is called 'being a progressive liberal'. :v:

No, temporarily embarassed millionaires vote on the interests of the rich because as far as they're concerned they are rich too. They're in favour of avoiding taxes and etc because they'd do it too.
It's a "thing" in American political discourse and it should definitely be one here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I think the equivalent here is everyone thinking that they're middle class. It's been a stroke of genius insofar as destroying collective bargaining powers.

I get the 'temporarily embarassed millionaires' thing, but I don't get why people who think they'll 'make it' one day vote to destroy things that increase their chances of making it before rather than after.

Because they've bought into the narrative that these things will hurt their chances and that if you work hard and get on then you too can be rich.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Corvo posted:

If George Osborne can go from folding towels at Selfridges to completely obliterating the UK economy, anything is possible.

If Bill Gates can be the richest person in the world then I can too! Let us completely ignore the circumstances around him doing what he did and pretend it was entirely 100% down to him and Getting On.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Corvo posted:

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything, just poking fun at how easily the voting public is misled.

I know, I'm going along with the thought.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

StoneOfShame posted:

I wouldn't consider that sensible career advise. Also Donegal is the nicest part of Ireland, not Galway.

There's a reason why there weren't any plantations in Donegal alright.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Extreme0 posted:

If I had it my way, Gove would of been caned nonstop for being a mistake.

Would HAVE. You do it every post and it's driving me mad!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Because the UKMT was transplanted directly from LF when it closed. Very few (around 2-3) posters left from around then though. Euro-pol presumably has its roots in traditional (right wing) D&D.

It's funny to remember that about 10 years ago D&D was almost all libertarians including the moderators. I'm glad LF got rolled into it since it's put a big stop to all that.

And Honest Thief you'd get more for your money and have to travel less in Manchester. It does of course depend on what your job is though. The North is almost like a different country, or at least as different as Wales is from England.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

All the conservative and libertarian shitheads cried off to Something Sensitive I think, and a bunch of LF ended up at Rhizzone and a few other (mostly dead) places I guess. I think D&D now is just kinda boring with the exception of Lenin's Own UKMT

It turned out that a huge proportion of them were enormous racists and were super mad that they couldn't actively be racist on SA.

Most of the other "superstar" posters just faded away and were never replaced. It's a shame - as annoying as D&D could be at times it was still enjoyable. I don't tend to read beyond this thread and the political cartoon thread now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Downing Street has officially released a statement saying the ref is on June 23rd.

dun dun dunnnn

Didn't they tell us that yesterday?

In completely unrelated news here is a pretty interesting article denigrating the Easter Rising from an Irish historian. Rare that you see stuff like that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So lets ignore our fascist invasion for now - can anyone relink me to that EU Answers page that was linked a few days ago? Giving simple answers to how the EU works and how things are spent and etc?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

Nothing puts me in a better mood for building apps than spending hours of my life researching and switching electricity providers

Getting my electricity via a supermarket who is actually just a name slapped on British Gas, the dream of capitalism.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

StoneOfShame posted:

Ehhh I like the idea of getting kids to pretend what it would be like to in another faith especially in a particularly religious area but doing the exercise as writing to parents pretending to convert seems ill advised and liable to piss people off. Not there isn't a probably large element of Islamaphobia here but this would cause a similar reaction if a school in a heavily Islamic area had the kids pretending they were converting to Christianity.

It might do but I bet it wouldn't be in the news.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's the elections in the republic of Ireland today and I find myself cheering for Sinn Fein.

Like someone said on Twitter if you'd gone back in time to 1997 and told them that in 2016 Blair would be considered a right wing war criminal and Gerry Adams an elder statesman they'd have laughed you out of the building yet somehow here we are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

"It wouldn't be underfunded if we weren't wasting money treating all these non-resident foreigns :bahgawd:" - an actual thing I've heard a person (a nurse no less) say in real life, in addition to being a classic lovely internet comment section opinion.

A doctor said it on question time and nobody said a thing about it. It's bizzare that people see two hospitals close nearby and then assume their hospital is crowded because there's too many people. How can they not see the connection?
My mum did the same - she's a teacher and the classrooms are much more crowded. It's not because there's more people it's because where she teaches had four schools and now it just has one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Miftan posted:

All I've ever heard of Waitrose until now was 'the fancy supermarket that costs more'.

They're part of John Lewis so employees own the supermarket.

There's no waitrose near me but I do my monthly shop at Ocado. I find waitrose essentials are pretty cheap and definitely worth the money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

feedmegin posted:

How are Booths? That's basically Waitrose with a flat 'at and a whippet, after all.

Booths are actually posh. Waitrose is kind of middle class, Booths is upper middle class.
It's nice, but it's genuinely more expensive for not a lot of reason other than the people who shop there don't care how much stuff costs.

• Locked thread