Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is a pretty big difference between "borrowed $200M from the CEO" and "borrowed $200M from the CEO's hedge fund". Some pig-vs-chicken poo poo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could also make short videos, but only black people wanted that so :rip:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bootstrap would have been cloned and exceeded within weeks if it hadn't been open. Licensing revenue from something like that is just impossible. I wouldn't even take a pitch about that sort of business, and I take a lot of iffy pitches.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not that Dreamweaver was a good business in 2011 either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bonzo posted:

It's a markup language that also gave you scripting abilities to interact with databases. Really early versions of Facebook used this and I've also seen quite a few US government offices develop with it.

I think you mean MySpace. Facebook, AFAIK, was always in PHP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:eyepop: :capitalism:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What still amazes me is that they could take "#3 US web property" and manage to make a non-business out of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doggles posted:

My only guess as to how they're offering refunds is that it'll cost more than $34 million to manufacture the drones so it'd be more expensive to fulfill orders over refunding money. :psyduck:

They might be partial reimbursements.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder if the number of medical procedures that can be done in pharmacies will be expanded. I could see them becoming one-stop, mini-medical centers.

Theranos!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is some Mad Max poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol if you don't have a friend in the medical profession who can give you educated recommendations and a side-channel referral

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like PAs/NPs could carry more of that preventative care burden, making it more accessible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes but they were always behind the counter

I saw it right next to GQ and Esquire in several airports.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Random Stranger posted:

Even before they switched it was there. So is Hustler.

I just want you to stop and think about sitting next to someone on a plane who thinks that Hustler is the perfect reading material for a three hour flight.

No, Hustler was/is on the top shelf, half-covered with plastic. Playboy and GQ and such were right down with Better Home & Gardens and Hello.

(Airports were Toronto, SFO, Montreal if it matters.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

The only big box retailer in your examples is Costco and I think we can all agree they're in a world all by themselves.

Isn't Sam's Club in the same world?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

I don't know if the Walton heirs are executives at all, and any Wallmart collapse fantasy that doesn't include those people suffering is an incomplete one.

2 on the board, but none in exec roles. Gonna need a wider net.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

I especially liked the part where he gave the driver 1 star.

Did he? I thought it was the driver giving him 1 star as a passenger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OMGVBFLOL posted:

e: and he didn't finance that car through them, guaranteed. their predatory lease/financing schemes are limited to the "low end" stuff as he puts it

Perhaps because Uber drivers don't make enough to pay off a high-end car.

I thought Uber Black drivers made a decent amount still though. Maybe not!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

snergle posted:

No cranberry juice is pure cranberry even if it says cranberry cocktail its like 3/4 apple. doesnt need their sugar water when its all apple juice

Whole Foods definitely sells pure cranberry juice. It tastes like going down on a car battery, consumed unadulterated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

snergle posted:

whole foods also sells apricot pits.

I'm not recommending it for anything, I'm saying it exists. What's your point?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why do we even need the Uber infrastructure

There should just be a new ridesharing app where people meet other people and the drivers keep all the money for themselves

Go for it! Who runs the backing infrastructure for matching drivers to riders, payment, tax paperwork, dispute resolution, and so forth?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

I legit feel like branching out into a more conventional taxi service with the higher rates and everything would have been a smart step for Uber. But the company is just so fixated on not having to manage actual employees with all the inherent responsibility, that they'd never do that.

But taxi drivers aren't employees?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like it varies a lot by jurisdiction. I've only ever heard "contractor" from those I've asked (SF Bay Area, Toronto, Ottawa -- I should ask in Montreal).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

food court bailiff posted:

Again, you keep talking about safety for the drivers. 99.999999999% of the people who use Uber are using it as passengers, which is less safe than a traditional cab.

That's my intuition too, but do you have any data? Does it vary meaningfully by city?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uber will adjust the fare if you reply to the receipt email.

I'm currently in a taxi that smells of cigarette smoke, and one of the seat belts is broken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

food court bailiff posted:

Real taxis are required by law to have a phone number directly to the dispatching company displayed to the passenger

This is not the case in the real taxi I am sitting in as I type. I don't see anything on the inside that identifies the dispatching company at all.

There's a phone number for city enforcement, which I know is monitored 9-5.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Swiping credit cards? You're one to talk about primitive technology.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glenn Quebec posted:

Shut up nerd

The two of the last five times my debit card was swiped in a cab it was skimmed. Chip and pin you loving savage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bonzo posted:

I thought I saw an article a while ago about how much WalMart ends up costing cities because they make so many calls for shoplifting. I listen to the police scanner at work and hear at least two calls a day for loss prevention staff requesting assistance in chasing down a shoplifter.

That would be an interesting article if you can find it. Is the theory that without Walmart those people wouldn't steal, or just that they wouldn't get caught and need the cops?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not sure any supermarket has any actual butchers in store, at best you'll have meat cutters.

I believe Whole Foods has butchers, and the supermarket near me in the Bay Area claimed to do butchering on site.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah if I'm down to a few hundred bucks I want to pay money order fees on all of my bills.

Is this something you did?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Moon Monster posted:

I went to a Sears maybe 3 years ago to buy a telescoping magnet. It took 5 minutes for the cashier to check out my $1.20 purchase. I went back about a year ago because I had a gift card so I bought I ~$50 blender. It took them 12 actual minutes to check me out. There were people behind me in line too. I have no idea what the gently caress made it take so long since the only thing at all unusual about my purchase was that I was using a gift card.

The main unusual thing about your purchase is that you were making it at Sears.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uli2000 posted:

Because sadly, there's still some things a bank can do that a credit union can't. Like incoming international wire transfers.

I did easily 30 international wire transfers in and out of my credit union (California, TechCU, SWIFT TECHUS61) over the course of 4 years. Worked just fine, I did it online and sent them a photo of signature and license. Easy peasy.

Your credit union choice was poor.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uli2000 posted:

I guess there are ways to do international wire transfers without the IBAN/Swift system, but the company in Switzerland wont do it. No big deal, as its like $20, but its a pain in the rear end. Sounds like it the big boy banks trying to keep the little credit union guys from playing on their field.

As per my edit, my credit union does SWIFT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Banks in America are horrifyingly corrupt and adamantly refuse to make anything easy. Everything has a fee attached and if there's a way to dick over customers they will find it and they will abuse it until somebody manages to get it banned. One of the worst things that's been happening in America is the continual deregulation of the financial sector since Reagan took office.

The best part is that if you're rich you can get basically every fee waived, but if you're someone to whom $50 in ATM fees would actually make a difference haha get out of here you rodent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

I didn't read all the comments​ but I'm guessing 99% men 80% bros.

Aspirational bros.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

As opposed to expensive overseas shoes? Almost all shoes are made in China.

Some shoes are definitely expensive. Are saying those ones are all made in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

Panera Bread was purchased by the parent company that owns Krispy Kreme for $7 billion. Not sure if Panera has been struggling but I assume it must have been

Why do you assume that? You think they were undervalued?