Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s almost every store

I never understand why some Targets have like 35 registers but the majority of the time there are maybe 2 open

At least Target will call people to the registers if it's packed. Walmart just laughs at your 1 or 2 lines open with 40 registers and doesn't give a drat if you leave your cart or not because they know that you probably won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Similarly, has anyone ever actually eaten at a Target cafe? I've seen them as long as I've ever gone to Target and never seen anyone there.

Red card holders sometimes get free popcorn. Kids like popcorn. It keeps them quiet while you try to shop.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

aardwolf posted:

You're thinking of Segway, but that's okay - it's easy to get them confused.

What the hell has Dean Kamen been up to nowadays anyway?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This has me rethinking my idea for a van that sells candy with a giant CANDY INSIDE printed on it. What could possibly go wrong?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AFewBricksShy posted:

For me one of the bigger perks was the movie posters. I had my room absolutely covered in them, it was awesome.

Same. One of my favorite memories is getting one of my friends a poster of the Freebirds movie for Christmas (he was a huge LS fan) and him flipping out. He thought I was giving him a Star Wars poster but you could buy those anywhere.

I worked at a video store when I was 16-19 and it was one of the best jobs ever. I actually tried to buy it from the owner in 2003 and he turned me down. Best no deal I ever made.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

buddhist nudist posted:

While I wouldn't pay for this service specifically, as someone who mostly puts the TV on for background noise, the old system was more effective at providing a varying output of light and sound compared to all streaming services combined.

Season-binging model is nice for "prestige" TV but that's a tiny minority of what's being broadcast.

Turn on Pluto.TV for the mindless stream.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

vyst posted:

Depends on the trade i guess. Not everyone has to be a coal miner or work in a steel mill

But you are right there is a bit more risk associated

Everyone needs a plumber sometime.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

walrusman posted:

You wouldn't download a Dave's Spicy Chicken Sandwich.

e: what a snype

Can you download a Chick-Fil-A sandwich on Sunday?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Nintendo has been in a success, then flop product launch for years.

N64: success
GameCube: flop
Wii: success
Wii U: flop
Switch: success
Whatever’s next: flop

You're forgetting the handheld market, they've done gangbusters with everything there but what, the Virtual Boy and maybe the Game Boy Micro? Plus the mini NES and SNES too. So the Gamecube and Wii U were definite flops, but they've done quite a bit right.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I just went with main consoles. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they’re a dumb company, they just seem to have a cycle with their consoles.

To people arguing the N64 didn’t do well, like another poster said, that was my system as a kid, so I have rose colored glasses on it.

Well there’s no doubt the Switch is a hit, but man my wife is pissed that her brand new Switch Lite already has a busted left joystick after two weeks. Bad thing is, all Nintendo repair centers are closed and she can’t exchange it (only return it) because there’s no more in stock. So they’re definitely stubborn about some things. Cartridges, easy online play, MAKING ANIMAL CROSSING SAVE DATA NOT TRANSFERABLE/DOWNLOADABLE FOR THE LOVE NINTENDO (guess what she’s really angry about).

I do wonder if they’ll ever make another “console” system again or if they all will be new handhelds that can be docked or maybe Mario Oculus VR or something.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fumaofthelake posted:

I’m still mad the Switch has touch screen but no stylus

Well you have to save something for Switch 2.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The pizza is crappy but I genuinely like taking my kids there. :(

RIP Showbiz Pizza

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They'll just show a bunch of rereleases because they're betting on enough people being desperate to go to a movie theater again after three or four months. They're also betting on the people that will gather in large groups anywhere to flaunt that they're not wearing a mask.

My wife has already told me to cancel her A-List for now because she’s not using it any time soon.

I, however, do want to go back to the movies, even masked up. Definitely something I miss.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

From their site:All A-List memberships were automatically paused as theatre closures went into effect. We have created the ability for you to control when your A-List membership is reactivated, anytime between theatres reopening and October 1, 2020. Please keep checking back to see if your theatre has reopened, and when you feel ready to return to our theatres, simply visit your account on our mobile app or website to reactivate your membership and start making movie reservations immediately. As of today, we plan to reactivate any memberships that remain in a paused state on October 1, 2020. We greatly value our members and will communicate in advance of any changes to membership status.

So at least they are giving you the option to keep it on pause longer.

Well that’s new or I missed it on their site because I looked at my account and it said the next billing date was July 6. Considering they’re not opening until July 15th at the latest, I figured they’d push it back another month.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

would rot in the picnic casket

Make sure you get a brown bag lunch thrown in there for your wait in line in Heaven.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BigDave posted:

JC Penney has been putting clothes on the backs of tall and fat guys like me since high school.

I REALLY hope they don't go bust.

Carhartt t-shirts, my man. I have a ton of K87s that last and feel great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Some of us enjoy cruises simply because you can see a bunch of new places without having to drive or unpack and pack multiple times, eat some good food, and relax any drat way you want to.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WITCHCRAFT posted:

You are bad and wrong. I can understand paying extra for a fully planned vacation where you don't have to arrange anything, but I don't know why you would want to spend so much of your vacation trapped in the hotel.

Also the gently caress you got to unpack? A suitcase with clothes, and a backpack with [emergency money/cards, first aid kit, toiletries]. The only time I have ever had to pack and unpack multiple times was a car camping roadtrip. What do you bring with you that is worth packing and unpacking, even once, on a cruise?

Sorry for being such a poo poo, but it makes no sense to me. If it was a business trip, sure, pack and unpack your clothes and make sure you look good when you need to. Bring an iron in case they don't have one.

Why do you have anything to even unpack on vacation? Comfy clothes and an oh poo poo bag, what else is worth your effort during free relaxation time?

I'm honestly not trying to be a turd, I do not understand how going on a cruise and having enough baggage that you need to unpack it even counts as vacation in the first place. I don't want to swim in the hotel pool or go the hotel bar. I want to reach my destination and spend time there. Why is a cruise better?

You completely missed the point I was trying to make. If I want to see a bunch of new places on a regular vacation, let’s say Washington DC, New York City, and Boston, what will I have to do? I’ll have to drive or fly to each spot, find a new hotel, and unpack my stuff (even if it’s a small bag I still have to do this). Then I’ll have to find a decent place to eat. Then when I’m ready to go to the next destination, I’ll have to check out, pack, find transportation to the next city, check into a new hotel, unpack, rinse and repeat until the vacation is over, and then I have to do all of this again to prepare to go home.

Now if I’m on a cruise that goes to multiple stops in Mexico and Honduras (for example), I drive to the port, park my car, drop off my luggage, and get on the ship. The luggage is brought to my room. I unpack it, and then get off the ship at every port that we visit. I’m hardly “trapped in the hotel”. I can do shore excursions that run the range from exploring old ruins, touring a new city, enjoying a pristine beach, etc. When the day is done, I simply get back on the ship, and if I’m not full from sampling the food at the port, I can go to a nice sit down restaurant and enjoy whatever I want to eat from a menu that has multiple varied different options. For “free” because yes, it is included in the price of your ticket. When I’m done after a week, I leave my luggage outside my door (if I want, I can bring it off myself but this is easier), pick it up when I get off the ship, and drive home. Depending on the length of your cruise, you’ll have 3-5 different destinations on average that you can visit.

I have to do this with my wife and three kids, so that’s a lot of luggage to lug around and planning to do. So on a cruise, I can visit multiple destinations, do whatever I want to, and see a lot of sights without a ton of hassle.

It may not be your cup of tea but it’s a hell of a lot easier to do. I’ve done the Griswold family trip and a cruise is superior in every way if you want to visit a bunch of new places in one vacation.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SerthVarnee posted:

Can I suggest taking a trip to Holland?

Its been a while since I was there last time, but they used to have houseboats you could rent for a week, where the family sails you around the country on the little rivers and all you have to do is look out the window to see the whole country snail its way past you. They stop over for the evening and night in a new major city and end up dropping you off in the city you started in.

there wolf posted:

You can do these small cruises through a lot of Western Europe, probably the rest of the continent as well. I remember a classmate did their requisite 'live in France to really nail the language' time working on one, and every morning they'd get fresh cheese and pastry from whatever little French hamlet they were by on the river.

That sounds very cool. I’d definitely be down for something like that. I’ve never been to Europe, but it’s somewhere we would love to visit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty sure all cruise ships are covered in a thin layer of human feces

I know you're joking, but on the last one we took, they were NOT messing around with norovirus. They had hand washing stations set up and were preventing people from entering the buffet or restaurant areas if they didn't sanitize their hands. One woman was very polite but firm in making sure everyone cleaned up before eating. Sanitizer stations were located in a ton of places around the ship.

Now people can be pigs otherwise, I'll fully grant you, but no more different than places I've seen people pulling dollars bills out of various sweaty crevices to pay for goods. Just don't think too heavily as to where that dollar bill has been before it got to you. :barf:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Beachcomber posted:

I have so many, many reasons not to go on a cruise, but the biggest is that the only place you get to really explore in any depth is the cruise ship. You can't poke around and find the hidden gems, like the place with perfect margaritas or out-of-this-world fish tacos.

Not necessarily. I hate horchata normally but I found the best horchata ever in a tiny ice cream shop in Merida and it made me question the few others that I had. Also, I found some street tacos on a hidden side street in Cozumel that were amazing. Same with some other foods too. You can definitely find some hidden gems, you may have to explore around the port a bit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rick posted:

My personal guess is that while there probably isn't actually a ton of gas station loyalty in consumers

This may true except for Buc-ee's (and Wawa too but I've never been to one of those). We were going to have one until the flood of 2016 in Louisiana, and man it is missed. Always one of our stops when we head to Houston, as silly as that might sound to those who've never been to one. Giant stores, good food, decently priced gas and extremely clean restrooms.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The future is jorts. You heard it here first.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I always confuse Luby’s and Grandy’s. All I know is that I had the worst breakfast buffet ever at Grandy’s and it made multiple people sick. So maybe I just thought they were gone already.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell, PoFolks went out of business a long time ago around here and I still miss their giant cathead biscuits that we’d eat there and take home for later as a kid. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Eddie Lampert.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was fancy to a kid because it was gloomiest restaurant around. Just isolated table lamps and wall sconces with a salad bar off in the distance like a lighthouse, safely delivering you to it's chilled vegetables and cold chopped ham.

I miss gloomy restaurants. Especially ones that served drinks in those big red or amber pebbled plastic cups.

Throw in a couple of arcade games and a jukebox too and this sounds like my 80s/90s Pizza Huts that had better pizza than now I swear.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Astrofig posted:

...does anyone else remember Shoney's? Similar idea iirc but the mascot was a smiling bear and they had one of those toy grabber machines kid-me loved messing with while the grownups paid.

Yep. There's one about 90 minutes away but on the way to Houston. Stopped in there specifically for the breakfast buffet which was as good as I remember, except now they're offering made to order eggs and pancakes.

Barudak posted:

At the age of 5 I got kicked out of a Shoney's for eating too much at their buffet so go to hell, Shoney's.

As for Pizza Hut I can confirm its way less good than when you were a (90s) kid, its not just memory. I worked with someone who worked in their marketing late 90s to 2012 and they could list off every single cost cutting measure and when it happened.

How the hell does a 5 year old eat too much for them?

And that is aggravating about Pizza Hut. It used to be so good and now it's up there with gas station pizza chains. I feel like old man yells at cloud when I remember those things but it's good to know that it's not just me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Honestly the Rock buying it is probably the best chance it has to succeed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Krispy Wafer posted:

We want trains. Fast trains. That go everywhere.

gently caress planes.

I’m a portal/transporter man myself.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You might enjoy a story called Ginnungagap, by Michael Swanwick.

Read this, thanks. Not too bad.

Der Kyhe posted:

This is why in Star Trek they explicitly say that the transporter delivers your own mass and atoms, but turns it into energy and back during the process, and for the person being transported it feels like a flash of light and being a sentient cloud for a couple of seconds.

Only if it fucks up it coughs up the digital-only backup and that's how we got Thomas Riker.

Problem with this is where did his mass and atoms come from?

It's all fictional anyway, but if Portal technology came through, then you don't have worry about you dying, you're just stepping through a wormhole. I get all the logical arguments against teleporters, but in the end, I personally would be ok with it. Many wouldn't. If I'm truly dead after one transport, then I'm either in the afterlife or gone into the ether and either way, what would I care then? If I'm not, they hey, I get to go to the beach 5000 miles away on a beautiful Saturday, then come home and not have to pay a hotel (which is another set of companies that would severely suffer in this scenario).

If transporters COULD keep a 21-year-old copy of you that you could regenerate at any time (and somehow transfer memory), we've effectively discovered immortality. I realize this is all pure fiction now, but a company like Facebook would probably be the one who would make it. Data mining of personal information, VR, all just precursors to something like this.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It isn't though. It's cloning. Copying you, leaving you unchanged. Just because it builds the clone out of your atoms, killing you, doesn't make it any different from if the copy was grown in a vat and then having your memories imprinted in their brain by a magical machine.

The extra step of killing you and feeding you to the vat so it can grow a new body, doesn't make you immortal.

With a magical mind-print machine; does imprinting a parents memories on their child and then shooting the parent make the parent immortal?

I mean this is a question that philosophers have argued over for centuries. What makes you, you? If you get your leg chopped off and have to wear a prosthetic, are you still you? If your body is damaged or killed and a new body is cloned but your mind is transferred in, is that you? Is there a soul? Does it get transferred or lost?

I'm not saying I have the answers here. Damned if I know. But personally, if you have a way to backup your mind, your thoughts, your experiences, and somehow transfer them into another blank vessel, you have achieved (mostly) immortality, as long as your backups are good. Maybe immortality is the wrong word but extremely long life.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Xlorp posted:

is another take on what happens.
An echo's point of view

Awesome, I'm getting all kinds of cool new things to read in this thread. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Are there no Waffle Houses where you guys live????

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Whooping Crabs posted:

IHOP is better at hiding the bodies

What the hell else is a rooty tooty fresh n fruity if not human remains I ask you

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hawowanlawow posted:

the waffle house by my parents place got so nasty they just tore it down and built a new one in the same spot, which is a huge flex imo

So they covered and smothered the remains?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Well they were in the news a lot for E Coli. That's mostly how I'll remember them.

This is my main thought when thinking of Sizzler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5NweFWjAw

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

there wolf posted:

Fresca was always the clearly superior diet soda anyway.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’ve been wondering, was the thing about Fresca that season that it’s something only an rear end in a top hat would drink?

It was just a joke the writers found funny.

https://twitter.com/therealkripke/status/1315459769725976577?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Goober Peas posted:

It was an interesting study to observe. We were never told why were supposed to keep/cut individual cards. From training (keep in mind this was 25+ years ago and getting fuzzy in my head) it could be because the card was stolen, or the account was closed. I want to say there were other scenarios but those are the two I remember.

Anyway, after we remove the merchandise was removed from the counter (the customer was distracted on the phone), we'd square up behind the register. Scenarios from most typical to most exciting:

* Customer's face turns red, hands the phone back, we hang up and we apologize. They turn around and leave.

* Above but they ask for their card back. I forgot to mention, the cash register drawer had a slot in its face where we could put cards, checks, and slips into the drawer without opening it. We typically did that while they were on the phone. We would apologize and tell them that the card company asked us to hold onto the card, and the card was in the register. And we couldn't open the register. Most would get huffy, turn around and leave. A few would want to argue.

* We had a few phone throwers. Those were easy, we'd ask them to leave. If they continued to escalate, we'd push the button under the counter and let loss prevention and the manager deal with them (we didn't have "security" in the store but the mall did have security). Depending on the time of day "Loss Prevention" could also be the biggest guy working in receiving at the moment. They trained us to keep our counters clear. Other than the register, a pen, and the telephone there wouldn't be much on the counter at any given point. Everything else was in shelves/drawers under the counter. We kept the chopper/kachunker under the counter unless we were using it. Oh yeah, we had those annoying little kiosk thingies on the counter trying to get them to do a store card. Those were constantly getting bumped or knocked over anyway.

I personally hated the arguers more than the throwers. They trained us to keep our tone and message steady and consistent, which was hard for me when the customer was trying to engage. Usually the arguers would run out of steam, or they'd get loud enough that reinforcement would come. Or I'd run out of steam and push the button. The throwers would quickly run out of things to throw, and by that time reinforcements would already be on their way.

I do remember we had one lady go full Donkey Kong, made her way out of the store knocking over displays. Mall Security was waiting for her when she got to entrance.

The worst customer back then was pretty docile compared to some of the stuff we see on YouTube today.

Now I'm picturing some little old lady just throwing barrels at everything and it made me snort.