Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think they'll stick around a while longer because they're much smaller than a whole Walmart/Target so it's not as much effort and money to cram one into whatever empty storefront is available. Don't need their own parking lots either. And on the consumer end, it's usually a quicker stop because it's not as much of a big space to walk around, and the lines usually aren't nearly as long.

Of course, CVS is already becoming part of Walmart, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

JnnyThndrs posted:

poo poo. CVS has already taken over Target's pharmacy.

Oh right, it's Target. Never mind. I knew it was one of them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm assuming the malls that survive will be the ones that focus 90% on clothes stores and restaurants. And then some "experience" stores like Disney, Apple, Lego, etc. And lastly a few places like Bose & Sharper Image which have never been about good prices or convenience anyway.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Because you can't sniff soaps online. Similar reason to why you still see Yankee Candle stores. As for GNC, I suppose it's just the ever-present "maybe I need to do something about my health habits" nag that most people have. And people probably still feel more comfortable buying pills when there's someone professional-looking in the room to reassure them "Yeah, this won't kill you". Although I could easily see that company going under (or online-only) pretty soon.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jul 17, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dammit Chipotle. I want to love you again.

CNN: Chipotle stock drops 6% on new illness report. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_67zvjU

Perhaps a little premature to say they're circling the drain, but it certainly doesn't look good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Barudak posted:

I stopped eating at Chipotle when the first incidents happened and said Id go back once they were clean 3 months and welp Ive never been back.

My wife and I used to go there regularly, but the incidents first happened (and continued happening) while she was pregnant, so... Just seemed like a bad idea to ever bother going back. Maybe if they haven't all been converted into Amazon pick-up locations in 18 years we'll try again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

They shut down all their restaurants nationwide for 3 days.

To symbolize the fact that it'll take a miracle to resurrect them now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah but you should see the houses millennials are buying in Finland

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Since Indian food is popular in England, I'd think they can handle a little BBQ.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
PYF: Pork Your Fork

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ask Me About My Bris(ket)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
AYCE pizza, now that's an odd concept. I've never been in a situation where I thought "I'd love to have even more slices of pizza, but the cost is holding me back." The economics of pizza seem perfect the way they are.

I've definitely seen some storefronts that had to be fronting something else. Like a lampshade store that's been in business as long as I've lived -- on Long Island, which has basically the worst rent situation in the country. Shady business indeed :v:

EDIT: and no, it's most decidedly not one of the areas of Long Island where rich people live

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Aug 2, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gamestop's days are numbered. The next console generation will probably be digital only. Their BS about selling phones or whatever is just delaying the inevitable.

Um, excuse me, it's a "diversification journey".

Yeah they're screwed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Physical video games aren't going away until absolutely every one of their customers can be guaranteed to have fast, reliable internet and credit cards.

This is already more people than it should be, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Toys R Us may have to go into bankruptcy to restructure their bad debt situation

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/07/toys-r-us-eyes-potential-bankruptcy-filing

I had such an immediate, visceral reaction to seeing the name Toys R Us -- like "oh crap those guys are still around, that cannot be going well"

I wonder if Babies R Us is the more profitable side of their business at this point. People will always buy stuff for babies. And their gift cards are always welcome baby shower gifts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GrandpaPants posted:

I remember when I was a kid, the "fancy" toy store was FAO Schwarz. I remember going to the "big" mall, which according to Wiki is the 4th largest mall in America, was a special thing even though it realistically wasn't THAT far away. It just wasn't the local mall, which Wiki says is the 5th largest mall in America, but I don't recall ever having a toy store worth a drat (although it was across the street from the Toys R Us). But as a kid, that FAO Schwarz had all these videogame consoles hooked up with "demos" that would reset every 15 minutes or so. I got really good at the first level of Sonic.

RIP FAO Schwarz, although now that I think about it, I don't think I ever bought a single thing there.

Of course, TRU has been selling FAO brand stuff since they went out of business. A steady, sobering reminder: "You're next."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't know why, but the fact that that's Canadian Sears makes it less ridiculous.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Our local mall's Sears is having the bottom level converted to a Dave and Busters

I would say they're in the Bargaining phase, but D&B is hardly a bargain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Slapping your brand on a reality show is probably one of the better things you can do to keep your company orbiting that drain just a little bit longer. It takes a while for the number crunchers at the TV network to determine that the money wasn't worth it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So if they can just hold out until global warming really takes its toll... Ka-ching!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Best of luck to those who own one, but I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who've owned Samsung appliances for more than a few years (people whose houses I've been to, not just second-hand anecdotes). Not to say the classic brands are foolproof either; we had to get our Maytag washer replaced after a few days. But it was still a pretty painless experience. Samsung's customer service is an absolute nightmare, even for TV repairs which you'd think is their wheelhouse. They typically send some independent contractor whose main goal seems to be voiding the warranty in order to make the inevitable follow-up repairs even more of a headache.

I think the old dinosaurs will still have the appliance market locked down for at least 5 more years or so. But obviously I'll never say never. Someone could disrupt this market, but they've got a way to go.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well, this is timely:

Sears won't sell Whirlpool appliances anymore; brands split after 100 years

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah assuming the master bedroom is on the second floor, it makes perfect sense. Otherwise IDK.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Companies That Are Circling The Drain Front-Loading Washer

Samsung definitely used to make the best TVs, and you could possibly argue they still do, but the playing field is just a lot more level now. Everyone basically knows how to make a great TV, which I guess is why now there's kind of an arms race of new manufacturer-exclusive features with crazy acronyms.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The last time I was in a K-mart they were definitely playing '90s music.

But then again, it was the '90s.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Count Uvula posted:

The 6 in a row are Deadpool, and I think the ones below and to the left are maskless Deadpool, for a combined total of 10 different deadpools.

Actually the correct pluralization is 10 Deads Pool.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Krispy Wafer posted:

We had a Golden Corral that literally killed someone (Salmonella outbreak). They found bacteria in the fryer, in the carpets, everywhere. And people were loving jonsing to get back into that place. Chipotle makes a few people sick and they see double digit declines in revenue. Golden Corral kills someone and their parking lot is full the moment the health inspector reopens the restaurant.

I've never been to one, but now I kind of want to go.

This is the perfect metaphor for the Alabama election.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yep :smith: :respek: :smith:

What was worse was going back as an adult and being like "wow this is kinda awful"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Teavana is in that unhappy medium zone where there's a decent-sized, but not huge, niche for their product, but most of the people in that niche are the type to do a lot of research before they buy something, so they usually won't impulse buy it from a chain store in a mall. Coffee has a lot of those same attributes, but it's way more popular, so it evens out. (Possibly due to caffeine addiction.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I really, really hate to admit it, but the idea of resurrecting the XFL at this particular cultural moment is... not stupid. If they push for a strong internet presence from the very beginning, they could actually make headway. It's a lot easier for people to say "yeah I'll watch this thing on the internet, why the hell not" compared to what they were up against in 2001. And I'm optimistically trying not to factor in the possibility that crazy conservatives will "boycott" NFL in favor of XFL in significant numbers, but... I guess that's possible too.

drat you Vince. :bahgawd:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If they push the "no politics" *wink* angle too hard, I can see conservative snowflakes making a big deal on social media about watching XFL instead of NFL, giving the first episode high ratings, and then secretly going back to watching NFL (or nothing). Then when it gets cancelled they'll say it's a liberal conspiracy just like when they cancelled Last Man Standing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bonzo posted:

So he'll make XFL as boring as WWE is now.

Actually if they put Jerry Lawler in as color commentary I might watch it.

Nah, no cheerleaders.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pakled posted:

Alternately they could try for some online streaming-only deal but considering their target audience this time is old conservatives, I don't think that would work out well for them either.

But they need something to watch while they're on Facebook sharing memes about how young people don't do anything productive with their lives.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The "Millennial" generation spans a larger-than-usual number of years because we had to live with our parents a decade longer than we should've due to the economy tanking. 30 is the new 20 and all that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aw yeah here we go, gonna find a liquidation sale and buy all my son's birthday presents for the next 10 years

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Car salesmanship is one of the last great American traditions! Don't you millennials take that away from the boomers too! *Buys crate full of assault rifles at the grocery store on the way home from work*

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Walmart/Target killed Toys R Us more than anything else. How many parents (increasingly, both of whom have full-time jobs) would ever go to a toys-only store when they could just grab something while they're also shopping for clothes and shampoo and whatever? It's like the aforementioned toy aisle at Walgreens except not garbage.

I mean obviously this is no major revelation, it's the same reason everything else is dying. But compared to something like Best Buy, a toy store has it a hundred times worse because it exclusively sells stuff that working adults mostly don't enjoy buying. They tried to fight this with an increasing number of exclusives. But Netflix they ain't.

(imagine an infinite orouboros of asterisks after "mostly" to cover bronies and such)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Detective No. 27 posted:

There actually is an emerging side effect from children using tablets and not playing with actual toys. They're not developing proper motor skills, which is impeding on their ability to hold a pencil when they get to elementary school.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/25/children-struggle-to-hold-pencils-due-to-too-much-tech-doctors-say

I read somewhere that posting too much on internet forums lowers your attention span.

Anyway, I will remain wary of giving kids tablets just because the effects aren't (and can't be) well-documented yet, and there are simply better options. (And the effects of looking at any screen too much are already pretty well-documented.) More importantly there's the fact that 99% of game-type apps have some intentionally deeply addictive element to them which has potential to be harmful at any age. I do plan to let my kids play Minecraft and Portal when they're old enough, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that article is pretty BS, the rise of smartphones was accompanied by a lot of other things including a major economic crisis. But I do think it's fairly self-evident that digital gaming shouldn't be a substitute for other activities, just a supplement at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah the cookware at those places is a gold mine. Also good for random home/lawn decorations where you don't necessarily need a guarantee of quality as long as it fits your aesthetic.