Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
this is the thread for notherners or ppl who have visited or like the visiting the north to talk about there favourite northern adventures. this includes the canadian territories, alaska, the canadian provincial norths (lol edmonton or w/e doesn't count) and also the scandanavian countries and such i suppose.

is the i was born and raised in yukon territory, canada and have explored a good deal of the territory. i have also lived for a time in nunavut, and northern british columbia.

some of my fav trips and outdoor experiences include:

driving the canol road in yukon. - this is a the remnants of a project to build a pipleline to norman wells in the northwest territories during WWII. the southern portion of this gravel road goes from a junction at johnson's crossing on the alaska highway to Ross River. at ross river u can cross the pelly river on a ferry and keep going until u get to macmillan pass near the northwest territories border. from here it becomes the canol heritage trail to norman wells and is a long hiking trek. i've never done it but want to one of these days. some ppl did on mountain bikes and some ppl in landrovers or something tried it but failed i think??? there's lot of muskeg and poo poo u can get stuck in. Anyway the scenery on the part you can drive is fantastic and there's plenty of opportunity for improptu hiking, camping, and there's some campsites and lakes too. if u drive it i do maybe recommended maybe a higher clearence vehicle with 4 by 4 or AWD esp. if the road is wet. it can be a but rough in some spots but is mostly ok gravel driving. this road has some interesting local lore w/ it. some guy in the 80s claimed to be abducted by aliens on the canol road lol

The Dempster highway - this also dirt road goes from near dawson to Inuvik in the NWT. u cross over the arctic circle as well, making this only one of two places u can cross into the arctic by road in north america. it's a very cool trip but bring spare tires. the big highlight for me is tombstone park, which has phenomenal scenery and hiking. if u go be sure to spend some time here.

The northern rocky mountains in Northern British Columbia - LOTS of good hiking trails around the area of stone mountain provincial park and muncho lake. u can access many of these right from the alaska highway. fantastic scenery.

Also, there are many good trails on the southern klondike highway between carcross and skagway. great scenery alone on the drive, but lots of cool places for the hikers.

the robert campbell "highway" (actually a mostly one lane gravel road) from watson lake to near Carmacks is interesting drive w/ good campsites along the way. u can get to the historic mining town of faro from here that's worth a look.

tldr gbs, post your favorite northern places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I used to live in Anchorage and have seen most places in the state that are accessible from a paved road or the Marine Highway. For a few years I worked for a company that ran hotels outside of Denali National Park. Fall in Denali looks like this:

(Taken from inside a bus, don't worry)

Last summer I did Lost Lake as a through hike from Kenai Lake to Seward. The trail's about 60% open tundra with a very scenic lake and views of snowy mountains in every direction. You should definitely do this even if you can't arrange a car shuttle. Some other cool stuff: seeing hundreds of otters on the ferry from Homer to Seldovia, taking a helicopter tour that landed on a glacier and taking a canoe trip at Nancy Lake with my girlfriend who didn't realize that you weren't both supposed to steer. Next time I need to try going for a ride on a fat tire bike in the snow.

The best thing about Alaska is that there is a lot of wildlife. You're pretty much guaranteed to see interesting animals everywhere you go. I would not recommend driving in the country early in the morning if you're not sure about your brakes, though. That is when every moose in the forest decides it's time to cross the road.

lavaca fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 4, 2016

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
great pictures of denali. it's a fantastic area. i've only been there once, but want to go back again to maybe do some multi-day hiking. though it doesn't go through denali, the gravel denali highway is well worth driving for some great interior scenery

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Heading up to Yellowknife on the 20th, never been, so I'm really looking forward to it! Land at 2pm, pick up my snowmobile at 4, drive north until I find a nice place to stay for the night.

Been up to Iqaluit before but I was with someone who was from there so it wasn't nearly as fun and explorey.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I'm planning a backcountry trip through Denali this Summer. I've been backpacking through Yosemite and the Grand Canyon a few times, but still consider myself a novice backpacker, especially considering Denali doesn't have trails. I've been reading up on Denali NP's website, and it's very informative. Could anyone who's been there recommend me any literature about it or drop me an email? bromplicated@gmail.com

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bromplicated posted:

I'm planning a backcountry trip through Denali this Summer. I've been backpacking through Yosemite and the Grand Canyon a few times, but still consider myself a novice backpacker, especially considering Denali doesn't have trails. I've been reading up on Denali NP's website, and it's very informative. Could anyone who's been there recommend me any literature about it or drop me an email?

This guy did a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the experience. His trip report is on pages 7 to 9.

http://www.mtnclubak.org/layouts/layout_mca/files/scree/2015/SCREE_01-2015.pdf

For a fun game, try charting his route from his description.

E:
Excerpt if you don't want to wade into a pdf-
(This is early July)

quote:

I
found myself in a full on s---storm – snow and sleet blown by
winds gusting to 30 miles per hour and visibility dropping fast. I
faced a three-way dilemma:

a) Backtrack along the ridge and/or drop down to the right
and return from whence I came. I wasn’t at all confident
of finding a safe strip of scree to descend the north-
facing slope in the whiteout and the avalanche activity
on north aspects over the past few days had me
genuinely concerned with the rapidly falling new snow.

b) Drop down the ridge to the left on a south-facing slope.
Until I reached the pass, the south slopes were steep and
the possibility of getting cliffed out existed. Plus, if I
didn’t travel far enough along the ridge, all the slopes on
the left led into the same drainage that was blocked by
the huge waterfall the previous day, so I’d end up stuck
in the valley.

c) Continue along the ridge. In the declining visibility I
could use the ridge as a handrail, never getting lost,
avoiding avalanches, and knowing that once I reached
the pass I could descend a safer south slope and enter a
drainage that I knew was passable per the rangers.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 8, 2016

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005
There are strange things done in the midnight sun,
by the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

7lip posted:

Heading up to Yellowknife on the 20th, never been, so I'm really looking forward to it! Land at 2pm, pick up my snowmobile at 4, drive north until I find a nice place to stay for the night.

Been up to Iqaluit before but I was with someone who was from there so it wasn't nearly as fun and explorey.

nice. the yellowknife area is great to explore on snowmobile. u are even allowed to ride snowmobiles around town except for some parts downtown. it's been awhile since i've been, but it's a cool area with a million lakes nearby and stuff

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i've been to the robert service cabin about a million times. in the summer they have cosplayers reciting poetry and gold rush stories for tourists

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm a guide in Finland and get to spend some time every year playing in Lapland. It's pretty fantastic.

Reciting The Cremation of Sam McGee is one of my favorite ways to entertain a group.

Campsite at foot of Kebnekaise

Descending Kebnekaise

Igloo construction

"The Needle", Kebnekaise

Crossing Tärnasjön, Hemavan

Dinner time, Abisko

Ascending in Hemavan

Whiteout in Hemavan

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You had me at

Free Market Mambo posted:

I'm a guide in Finland

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please write like an adult if you want people to read your thread. It's not that hard to use proper capitalization and punctuation. You're killing me, Smalls.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
I was a wildland fire Hotshot in Alaska for 2 seasons, 2011-2012. We were based out of Fairbanks but I served everywhere from Arizona to the Arctic Circle. It was interesting. We took helicopters most places, usually followed by long, wet hikes. Sometimes we would commandeer a boat or a train or something. I did an interview about it here --> http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2015/05/an-interview-with-dungeon-smash-about.html

Free Market those Finland photos are beast. Really makes me want to go to Finland. Your job sounds awesome.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Wow. That is an amazing interview. Holy poo poo man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

buddhanc posted:

Wow. That is an amazing interview. Holy poo poo man

Thank you buddy :)

• Locked thread