Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I used to live in Anchorage and have seen most places in the state that are accessible from a paved road or the Marine Highway. For a few years I worked for a company that ran hotels outside of Denali National Park. Fall in Denali looks like this:

(Taken from inside a bus, don't worry)

Last summer I did Lost Lake as a through hike from Kenai Lake to Seward. The trail's about 60% open tundra with a very scenic lake and views of snowy mountains in every direction. You should definitely do this even if you can't arrange a car shuttle. Some other cool stuff: seeing hundreds of otters on the ferry from Homer to Seldovia, taking a helicopter tour that landed on a glacier and taking a canoe trip at Nancy Lake with my girlfriend who didn't realize that you weren't both supposed to steer. Next time I need to try going for a ride on a fat tire bike in the snow.

The best thing about Alaska is that there is a lot of wildlife. You're pretty much guaranteed to see interesting animals everywhere you go. I would not recommend driving in the country early in the morning if you're not sure about your brakes, though. That is when every moose in the forest decides it's time to cross the road.

lavaca fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread