Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
this is the thread for notherners or ppl who have visited or like the visiting the north to talk about there favourite northern adventures. this includes the canadian territories, alaska, the canadian provincial norths (lol edmonton or w/e doesn't count) and also the scandanavian countries and such i suppose.

is the i was born and raised in yukon territory, canada and have explored a good deal of the territory. i have also lived for a time in nunavut, and northern british columbia.

some of my fav trips and outdoor experiences include:

driving the canol road in yukon. - this is a the remnants of a project to build a pipleline to norman wells in the northwest territories during WWII. the southern portion of this gravel road goes from a junction at johnson's crossing on the alaska highway to Ross River. at ross river u can cross the pelly river on a ferry and keep going until u get to macmillan pass near the northwest territories border. from here it becomes the canol heritage trail to norman wells and is a long hiking trek. i've never done it but want to one of these days. some ppl did on mountain bikes and some ppl in landrovers or something tried it but failed i think??? there's lot of muskeg and poo poo u can get stuck in. Anyway the scenery on the part you can drive is fantastic and there's plenty of opportunity for improptu hiking, camping, and there's some campsites and lakes too. if u drive it i do maybe recommended maybe a higher clearence vehicle with 4 by 4 or AWD esp. if the road is wet. it can be a but rough in some spots but is mostly ok gravel driving. this road has some interesting local lore w/ it. some guy in the 80s claimed to be abducted by aliens on the canol road lol

The Dempster highway - this also dirt road goes from near dawson to Inuvik in the NWT. u cross over the arctic circle as well, making this only one of two places u can cross into the arctic by road in north america. it's a very cool trip but bring spare tires. the big highlight for me is tombstone park, which has phenomenal scenery and hiking. if u go be sure to spend some time here.

The northern rocky mountains in Northern British Columbia - LOTS of good hiking trails around the area of stone mountain provincial park and muncho lake. u can access many of these right from the alaska highway. fantastic scenery.

Also, there are many good trails on the southern klondike highway between carcross and skagway. great scenery alone on the drive, but lots of cool places for the hikers.

the robert campbell "highway" (actually a mostly one lane gravel road) from watson lake to near Carmacks is interesting drive w/ good campsites along the way. u can get to the historic mining town of faro from here that's worth a look.

tldr gbs, post your favorite northern places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
great pictures of denali. it's a fantastic area. i've only been there once, but want to go back again to maybe do some multi-day hiking. though it doesn't go through denali, the gravel denali highway is well worth driving for some great interior scenery

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

7lip posted:

Heading up to Yellowknife on the 20th, never been, so I'm really looking forward to it! Land at 2pm, pick up my snowmobile at 4, drive north until I find a nice place to stay for the night.

Been up to Iqaluit before but I was with someone who was from there so it wasn't nearly as fun and explorey.

nice. the yellowknife area is great to explore on snowmobile. u are even allowed to ride snowmobiles around town except for some parts downtown. it's been awhile since i've been, but it's a cool area with a million lakes nearby and stuff

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i've been to the robert service cabin about a million times. in the summer they have cosplayers reciting poetry and gold rush stories for tourists

• Locked thread