Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well I guess I'd better sign up for this at this point :v:. Count me in, although if by some miracle I win the tournament (because you all know by now that my main quality as an AW player is sheer persistence rather than any particular genius for war), I'll probably hand the prizes off to the runner up.

I'd still have preferred "It's your turn" for the thread title though ;).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Some additional thoughts on recons here: this is a cool map to play around with them on, as between the roads, shoals, cities and empty missile silos, there's a lot of terrain that allows for free movement of units with tyres. It's also pretty open (and, as Slur noted, much more open than it seems). Stuff like this to make early recon harassment more fun and viable can make for a neat map design. Recon harassment can be countered easily enough by tanks, but you're spending 4000G to make your opponent spend 7000G - which is 3000G for them that could be going into infantry and economy-boosting. It's a stronger strategy in AWDS, as the crazy way that CO bars charge in that game mean that recons are the second most cost-effective unit at charging your power bar (with infantry being the most cost-effective unit): lose a recon, and that's a whole star on your power gauge. AWBW still follows AW2 rules for power gauges though, where it's strictly proportional to unit cost.

While my comm tower ploy was good tactics, it might be poor strategy: I could have been focusing on capturing cities for my economy, especially in these early days where there aren't a huge number of attacks going round to take advantage of that 20% attack boost.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 4, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

To get a crisp shot at 200%, use Nearest Neighbour or turn resampling off.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly prefer 200% if you can manage to get it crisper - the fact that the grey and purple colors stand out less against the background doesn't really help.

Also, am I crazy or misremembering that Drake's COPs used to reduce enemy fuel?
It does (in AW2 and AWDS, anyway), Slur forgot to mention that. Causes me quite a bit of trouble, as it happens.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

G?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Horsey to King Bish 3.

Um, in an attempt to say something sane here... Slur's point about damaging strong units instead of destroying weaker ones is an interesting one, and generally sound advice - in addition to what he said, you aren't wasting damage on overkill. Fighting Andy is a big edge case there since he can bring a whole bunch of damaged units back from the dead, but one thing to note is that as well as Andy countering Drake, Drake counters Andy to a degree: I'm using a lot of Hyper Repairs fixing up Tsunami damage when Andy's real ace in the hole is Hyper Upgrade.

I was definitely surprised at the time that Slur went for a Neotank, I thought a battleship would be playing to his strengths better, and be harder for me to counter on a map with no air units. The Neotank did get me churning out artillery rather than tanks though, and while artillery are a very powerful and cost-effective unit, they can't push as well as tanks can.

Slur did make a little bit of an error in dismissing my recon though... ;)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh dear. Well, now you know how hard it is, Slur :gbsmith:.

Gamerofthegame posted:

To me, honestly, the naval game at all feels like such a trap on this map. You can shove around an incredibly expensive rocket at sea, or you can just buy a normal rocket and abuse all the good tire movement. There isn't a LOT of properties out at sea, either, so beyond shoving infantry teams in black boats and dropping them off there's nothing really worth while going there. Drake's advantage is functional worthless on account of the hideous buy in and the time it takes to sail the b-ships around, with plenty of safe zones.
As soon as I saw this post, I had to resist spoiling what was going to happen :). Battleships and those island cities ended up being key, here. I probably should have built a battleship myself rather than going quite so sub crazy, to be honest.

Thinking about it, automatically responding to Slur's Tsunamis with Hyper Repairs might just have been a product of playing so much AW1 lately, since that's really your only option there. I'll have to see if I can learn from my mistakes here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the only way your opponent can counter it is by buying the extremely expensive submarine... for that sole purpose.
The same could be said of a battleship. I mean, rockets can do an okay job of fighting battleships, but they're outranged and out-armoured, especially with Drake's naval defence boost. Even if a rocket gets first strike, the battleship might well be tanky enough to turn it around.

quote:

Seeing the endgame makes me deeply curious how the hell Slur actually swung things around to be able to spam bships and neotanks, but alas.
There's a lot of properties on this map. Once Slur had grabbed the north central and south west islands, he had something like 30000G a turn to my 20000G, at which point I can't deal with his stuff faster than he can bring more in, and battleship/neo spam ensues.

e: I mean, there's a school of thought that I was doomed as soon as I lost even one property to him. I tend not to go with that because I'm a stubborn ol' bugger, but once the northern central island was gone, Slur has 6000G on me and I could probably have been forgiven for resigning then. But hey, I played it out.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm wondering if I should run and commentate a "plate" competition for everyone knocked out in the first round, just so they don't feel like their time in the tournament ended too soon. What do people think?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I almost picked Drake because I thought being immune to Rain would be fun. Then I realized that just reduces vision, so it's useless...
It does make it harder for vehicles to get through forests and plains, but that's about it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

KennyMan666 posted:

Maybe do it in some different way. Like, wait until these two rounds are over too, and take the four that's been knocked out and do a 4-player FFA or a 2v2. Or game with fog, but that requires remembering it was fog when posting the screenshots from the replay.
Hmm, 2v2 could be neat, and then the winning teams from the two 2v2 matches face each other in another 2v2. I'll see how it goes.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now I think about it, there's an interesting advantage to having a battleship in a lake over one in the open seas (on a land/navy/air map, anyway).

See, air generally beats navy because unless you have enough funding for an aircraft carrier, cruisers are your only anti-air naval option and they are at best in a fair fight with B copters thanks to their cost and their middling defence against choppers. But land beats air because AA are much cheaper than cruisers, and it would be suicide to send a B copter up against one at full health. So by having a battleship surrounded by mostly land, you're trading battleship mobility (oh well, it's a battleship: you find a place you want to park it and ideally you'll rarely have to move it) for air units having to cross more potentially hostile terrain to get at it. There's even the added wrinkle here of only one port per lake, so Doctor Reynolds can't build subs or their own battleship for the job.

And there's another leg to this triangle: battleships generally beat land. They can outrange and out-tank rockets and artillery, and nothing else poses a major threat to them. They make for great fire support (as Slur demonstrated in his game against me... uh, if you use your imagination to reconstruct the lost turns...) and are a huge pain to take down (which gives them an edge over, say, powerful but fragile bombers).

The gamble for Kennyman here, though, is can he use that battleship to gain control of the land to the east of the lake (and thus set AA up there) before copters arrive? Doctor Reynolds looks pretty well positioned (then again, everyone looks pretty well positioned at the end of their turn :v:)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Additionally, Sami recons might not do enough to properly disrupt Sami's infantry with their capture bonus, so maybe that's why Reynolds went straight for the tank option. Recon rushes work best with someone with good stats for them, like Max or Jess or even Grimm, and Sami is better equipped to shrug them off than most with her capture bonus. And if I'm being honest, they also work best in AWDS as opposed to AWBW :v:.

The best unit to fight footsoldiers with isn't so much AA as it is your own footsoldiers. Especially if you're Sami.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 17, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Tanks do 0% to Battleships apparently. Whoops.
Hey, you might get lucky!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

On the other hand, AWDS Sonja is pretty good outside of fog and ridiculous in it.

"Ridiculous" is sort of part for the course with AWDS though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Eagle with AWDS Lightning Drive (move again at 50/100 stats) but an oooooOOOO meter.

Jess with either 120/100 vehicles and 90/100 footsoldiers, or 115/100 vehicles and 100/100 footsoldiers.

I know the classic balance proposal for Sensei is along the lines of 8HP infantry/mechs from his powers and a meter of ooooOOOO.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Endorph posted:

One 'balance' suggestion I've always really liked was making Flak 120/120 on his turn and 80/90 on the enemy's turn. Not that flak's broken but it's a more interesting concept than praying to the RNG.
Mind you, other than a few edge cases, that's pretty similar to Grimm.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

This map could use airports. Or any kind of property, really.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

DoR threw away the fun colourful world they built up in favour of that dour uninteresting post-apocalyptic brown look that dominated the 2000's.
On the other hand, imagine fun colourful world with DoR units.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wars World is, well, the world. Macro Land is the places that both AW1 and 2 take place in. Omega Land is another place that everyone has assets in like some colonized Africa or something, but it isn't the big four's primary interest so there's a bunch of rump COs there.
AW1 is Cosmo Land, isn't it?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Site's back up.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm picturing a Green Earth fighter taking off, then crashing with an explosion.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jess is France, though. An army marches on its stomach, and all that.

Green Earth may be Germany, but the COs are from all over Western Europe: Drake is a Sir Francis Drake reference, Javier is Don Quixote.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 7, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

xelada posted:

Ah AWBW, I remember this, wasn't that great but still had lots of fun.
Actually I remember quite enjoying making maps, possibly more than playing the actual game. In fact I'm pretty sure they still have my old maps, if you goons are at all interested I'd love to go over a few of them, just tell me if you'd rather I start from the beginning to show off some of the things NOT to do when making maps, or if you'd rather I only show off the "good" ones.
And of course I fully understand if you'd rather I not coo over what I've made like a mother showing off pictures of her babies to anyone and everyone.
Feel free, although I'd go with "skip to the good ones". Or maybe post them in good/bad pairs.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slur posted:

Site's (temporarily) back up, for now.

I might start the next rounds of games, 'cause I've been handling the LP as well as I have lately. What do you guys think?

Sure, fine by me.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ok, game's up - called "Goon Tourney Game 5", password is cheese (ha, didn't even think about who I was playing when I picked that). Good luck, Anticheese!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My game with Anticheese is over. I've copied the log to a spreadsheet as a bit of a backup.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slur posted:

...Well this is unexpected: rarely do I ever see Jake in competitive Advance Wars play.
Hey, he was your suggestion :v:. Other COs I thought about playing as include Max and Lash: Max because I still probably haven't come down off the high that is AW1 Max yet, and the fairly open terrain suits his style. Meanwhile Lash (AW2 and AWBW Lash, at least) is one of the stronger not-officially-broken COs, whose only real weaknesses are an average air game and a lackluster regular COP (and as the demo game showed, with most COs the SCOP is where it's really at) I went with Jake over Lash because his air units also get the plains bonus (not that my B copter ended up seeing any action). Either way, Jake vs. Von Bolt certainly led to a fun AWDS-themed matchup.

e: Snow and rain played a fairly big part in the battle - a few times I found myself cursing infantry's complete inability to move through mountains in snow. At the same time though, I tried to use the weather to my advantage if I got it first and knew that Anticheese would have to sit through a turn of it after me - e.g. her recons struggling to get away from her bases on snow and rain days.

One extra bit of advice I'd give Anticheese is that sometimes Flak has good ideas: tanks are powerful, and they do move far. They can't win a battle on their own, but they play an important role in almost any army, and because Anticheese had no tanks of her own, I had the run of the field with mine.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 7, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

This is the crazed ramblings of someone who should be asleep, but oh my goodness, capture all your bases as soon as possible, you're missing out on an extra infantry every turn.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 8, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh hey, looks like amarriner took advantage of the server move to add a few extra touches. Adding a "combat sprites" graphics mode is a neat touch, although I'm not sure it aids visual clarity. Would be cool to see that extended to custom unit sprites for each side (Cobalt Ice would be particularly interesting to see, naturally). Fire Emblem units and deployable COs seem like risky moves, but they'll spice the metagame up if nothing else.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I can't remember if black tiles have been explained in this thread - if not, they're "teleport tiles" - they have zero movement cost. A unit can't end its turn on them, though. They're created by exploiting a glitch you can get if you make your map in a text editor.

I think this is the first time I've seen them used in a naval context. Pretty neat.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Aston posted:

Update: Endorph and I have made some Infantry, so it's heating up over here as well.
Hey, it's probably a good thing one game's going quicker than the other. Slur can only write up one game at once, after all.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Game's up. Password: goons. Good luck and have fun, Keiya!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 9, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Whoops, mistyped the password as "goones". Sorry Keiya. Let's hope my playing's better than my organising :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You're a big fan of maps with a lot of pipes on them.
I know that Slur deliberately set out to show off some AWBW-exclusive gimmicks (i.e. the teleport tiles and the labs) in the quarter-finals, and pipes are kind of an occupational hazard when you want to steer your teleport tiles to specific locations.

I do like the way that pipes and teleporters are handled in the game Keiya and I are playing, with their whole "surfaces of an open-sided box" thing.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 13, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

So within 7 turns of this game going on, there's been three instances of weather. For those of you who don't know, at the beginning of each player's turn, if random weather is an option selected during a game, there is a 7% chance that the weather will change from clear to either rain or snow, affecting the movement of all units on the map in one way or another. If one or more players select Drake as their CO, the chance of rain at the beginning of each player's turn increases from 7% to 14%.
We learn something new every day. I knew the idea about random weather following Drake around, but I was never entirely sure if it was true, since pretty much the only time in campaign where random weather is a thing is during Drake missions anyway. And I've not played huge amounts of Vs. in random weather, Drake or no.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I haven't done all my Kindle tricks yet, tho.
I played as her in my QF against Keiya, so there may be a few more Kindle tricks in there too. Haven't played her much before this, but yeah, she's pretty powerful.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh man, that +40% attack on cities is super good. Bait-and-switch tactics with pulling out damaged capturing infantry after drawing in a recon/tank, and then sending my own recon/tank on to the city instead are really effective, and helped me to get an early edge over Keiya. I honestly feel a bit bad for using Kindle here. I also feel a little bad for deliberately picking player 2 when I set the game up so I didn't have to worry about choosing between "rush for the base early" and "capture the nearby cities". Keiya went for the cities first, and I think grabbing the base a couple of turns earlier did help me control the middle. Might not have been a huge deal though.

quote:

Special congratulations to Paul Power for deploying a Megatank. It is my deepest wish to one day see one actually enter combat.
Yeah, Keiya wanted to see the game out to the bitter end, so I figured there was no harm in showboating a little :). I even left her with one 1HP tank (that got healed to 4HP thanks to Rachel) after a really hard push with High Society, so she could fire off one last Covering Fire for the heck of it (I'm a monster :ohdear: ).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ooh right. Game's up, called "Goon Tourney SF2 Attempt 2", password "goons" (hopefully spelt right this time!).

I'm on holdiay at the moment, so my turns might be a bit sporadic over the next few days. Either way, good luck and have fun, Gamer!

E: oh wait hang on I think it ignored the bans I put in because I had to go back and change something during game creation, I'll rehost.

E2: Oooh Yeah! Slur's been telling me for a while that Grimm works pretty well in the fog, so I thought I'd give him a shot. Other COs considered included Drake (fog + random weather could lead to some interesting rain shenanigans) and Lash (continuing my "terrain based COs" theme), but the airports might have undercut their effectiveness. So let's see what the Kool-Aid Man can do.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Endorph posted:

protip to the players, there are a few non-javier COs who really benefit from comm towers. see if you can figure out which ones.
Then again, you don't have to choose the extra comm tower: the idea (and it's a neat one) is to force the player to choose which bonus they get: 4000G; 2000G and an airport; 2000G, a port (that isn't shoalled in) and easier access to their opponent's "natural expansion" airport; or 1000G, a comm tower and a missile silo.

Incidentally, I liked how my move that made Gamer resign was putting a battleship in a tiny lake :)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 2, 2016

• Locked thread