Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Definitely want to get in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, here I was thinking "well, at least with Drake, you can still spam Tsunami at a fairly decent enough clip and cause some problems for Paul's navy in the long term", but 1) That's an awfully long term perk, and this looks like the short term is going to be a lot more important and 2) Black Boats exist and probably nullify a lot of that fuel problem just by having two or three hanging around. So, uh, good luck I guess.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, this tournament is off to a flying start.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I made the game, I think everything is working: http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=66213

Password is "goons".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I completely forgot Olaf was a CO. :downs:

That is just shameful. :colbert: Olaf is clearly the greatest Blue Moon CO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mzbundifund posted:

I am not good at advanced war so maybe I'm overlooking something obvious but... why on earth did you build a battleship?

I'm a fan of the battleship in the inland sea. It gives you a strong ranged attack that the opponent can't really touch without using the airport on the other side of the map. Expensive, but might make a good deterrent.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Trasson posted:

I'm in now. Slur sure picked an, um, interesting map. I'm not sure if I made the right CO call, but it should be funny anyway.

Alright, I started the game. So we've got Olaf vs. Kindle in this leg of the tournament. Should be interesting.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

A part of me is tempted to make it so players cannot choose the same CO twice, but I'm not sure how that'd go over with everyone here. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Wouldn't that require the first player to declare what CO they were using and give the other player a chance to do some kind of counterpick, if possible?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Sorry, I should clarify:

If someone chooses a CO in the first round, they cannot choose that same CO in the second round, and so on.

I wondered if you meant that. I don't think that would be too great an idea - the map should dictate the CO you pick, if you want to go against that by picking somebody you just like (like me with Olaf, the smart pick on that map would have probably been Lash), then why not?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Tanks do 0% to Battleships apparently. Whoops.

Behold, the reason why battleships like that are cool.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glidergun posted:

If Grit lost the damage boost but had the +1 range D2D, would that still be broken? Bringing him down to just +damage feels like it neuters his whole concept.

Range is massive. Indirects with Grit are not about how much damage you do, but being able to hit more things to begin with. That creates a much larger field of deterrence and allows you to much more easily cover ground, giving your opponent massive problems in advancing. Pretty sure he'd still be broken, if slightly less so.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

The Something Awful Forum > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Murphy's Law

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, the time for booting continued to count during that downtime, so right now, my game says that it's 1 day until boot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, it's back to "down for maintenance" for me, even though I'm going directly to the game page. loving brilliant.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

We're making this happen. Throughout this tournament, we're going to find every single thing that can go wrong with AWBW.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Until it isn't.

At least I managed to get my second turn in!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, I managed to get another turn in, but now the site is acting sluggish as hell and it takes like 30 seconds for me to move an unit. Also, I'm not getting turn notification emails, which isn't helping matters.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Today I learned that apparently this game doesn't tell me which units were in the process of capturing things when I'm looking at my new turn, because I just moved an infantry off a neutral city, and I just know that wasn't the right thing to do.

Either that or I forgot to start the capture in the first place, which is doubtful, but not out of the question.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Patience is a virtue, people.

Sod that. Speed is the essence of war! I'm sure that applies just as much to making your moves in turn-based strategy games!

In other news, our game is proceeding nicely now, we're currently on day 10 on day 14 realtime. We'll catch up soon!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

anilEhilated posted:

I'm seriously disappointed Max or Jess' SCO isn't called Blitzkrieg.

Jess would be the proper pick, since it not only boosts attack power and movement range, but also ensures they're well stocked for the encirclements that follow. Not to mention the Green Earth - Germany connection.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The site is back now, I think? You never really know with this thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Yeah, and Trasson got timed out. Restart your game if you would please, gentlemen.

Is there some way to continue the game the way we have it now (because if so I can't find it)? Or do I literally have to make a new game?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

The latter option. I have your game and Trasson got timed out.

:rip:

Tournament Fun Times II is up. Password is again "goons". Took the liberty of setting the timeout time to 20 days, I think we can tell on our own if the players are slacking.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Trasson posted:

I can't say I'm complaining, given that our match was about to go south for me real fast.

Are we expecting the other to choose the same CO? I have no issues either way but I don't want to operate under any misunderstandings.

I picked Olaf again because I like Olaf. If you want to switch, go right ahead, I don't particularly care.

And yeah, I was really liking the way that match had developed. It getting booted was kind of annoying.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Game's up.

Pass is "goons". Third time's the charm?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh man, Andy vs. Olaf, it's an Operation Dunderhead throwdown.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The weather game is strong in my current game. Here I was laughing at Cake Attack getting hit with snow twice during the early phase, but now I've gotten my plans completely hosed over by some surprise rain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

So, just came to post about the state of the website: apparently the servers are going to be moved in 2 days over to the new hosting.

The new hosting where replays don't work.

So, this LP might be done for if Amarriner doesn't fix those up on the new site before the migration happens.

I'll never get to finish a game. :(

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Looks like the site has moved successfully, and now e-mail notifications work for me! Hooray!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Victory status: Pried from cold dead hands.

Also, I'm pretty sure the replay didn't save for all the moves we made since the server move, which was like half the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yup, that was exactly how it went.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Game's up. Password is "goons". I think I set it up right.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

You forgot the standard Stealth Bomber + Black Bomb ban.

:argh:

Fixed. I think.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Why does it feel like I'm going to get murdered?

EDIT: Oh, right, it's because I'm poo poo.

EDIT AGAIN: Yep, definitely because I'm poo poo.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 7, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Are you two watching the same game as me? I feel like I'm getting clowned around.

I dunno. I see piperunners getting turned into expensive garden ornaments by artillery and soon turned into scrap by battleships, a center that's completely undefended, meaning two comm towers that are soon in your hand (and therefore one out of mine as well), and once you get that lab under control, which at this point only seems a matter of time, I don't have neotanks/piperunners/bombers and you do, and you have had the funding advantage for so long, so that just means more neotanks/piperunners/bombers wrecking my poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GG, Doctor Reynolds. I felt like this outcome was hanging over me like a Sword of Damocles ever since I hosed up the first MD Tank encounters, but it's just getting more and more obvious you're just going to destroy me from here on out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Oh come on, TheMcD! Show some confidence! No game is over until it is over!

I resigned. It's over. Reynolds was going to take away my comm tower next turn (there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop that from what I could tell) and make a play for the other one that I could only stop by overdedicating units to stopping it, meaning that Reynolds could then snag both labs, leaving me completely stranded. Add a funding advantage that's been there for ages and piperunners that were starting to run out of ammo (meaning they turn into even larger sitting ducks as I try to refill their ammo while under constant threat from other ranged weapons and Reynolds's tanks flooding in), and I feel like calling it there is the expedient move to make. I'm not the type to slog things out, really.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm glad to see my strategy of "I have no idea how to counter these things... I guess I'll make them run out of ammo?" paid off.

Yeah, it was a perfect strategy. By constantly pressuring both labs and the comm towers, you were constantly forcing me to fire at infantry and poo poo like that, lest my situation get even worse. That chewed through ammo and redirected fire from the tanks, that could then aid the infantry in establishing a stronger position and occasionally catch a piperunner in a lovely position. Compounding that was further external pressure from artillery, rockets and that loving battleship (which pretty much ruined my entire left flank) forcing the piperunners to be on the move half of the time, lest they get bombed to poo poo, meaning that you could further exert pressure on the key properties.

And really, I was only in this for so long because that Hail Mary on the comm tower worked out. If that infantry died, I would have conceded earlier because you would have advanced much faster.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

So because the game's outcome has been spoiled, does that mean I have to write an update?

Well, you did it with the game I had with Cake Attack, and that seemed about as spoiled as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, that map makes my head hurt. I guess it might not be as bad playing, but just looking at it, those teleport tiles just confuse the hell out of me.

Also, you totally could have brought up joining in my second game - there was one moment where I had about 19500 funds and managed to join two infantry together to make up the difference to a piperunner. I felt really smart when I did that. Lord knows I didn't have many more situations to do that in.

• Locked thread