Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Greetings!

We are Digging Deeper - you may have seen our videos within the Horror, Mad Max, and Sicario threads. We are an upstart young film analysis channel that explores themes and elements within contemporary and classic films. If you've ever pined for a more deeply theoretical or analytic opinion on films, expressed in entertaining visual terms, hopefully we can provide.

Below, you can find links to our first four video essays, wherein we discuss topics ranging from the death of the American Dream, Netflix velociraptors, Beigenicio Del Toro, and issues of gender identity. Thank you so much for your time and we hope you enjoy.

Also, we have a Patreon if you ever left like donating.

Sicario:The Mirage of a Moral World

Serenity: Exploring The Genre Frontier

Jurassic Park: Finding The Lost World

It Follows:The American Nightmare

Lastly, thank you so much Gonsmithe for allowing us to post.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Thank you for sharing these, and I hope you continue to make them.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you for the kind words! We are in the planning stages for our next video and have some other ideas kicking around that need a good writing session and bottle of wine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
These are pretty good!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you again.

Also, just to clarify or clear the air of any mysteriousness, there is two of us that are behind these essays, both of us from the Toronto area, and recently(ish) graduates of film school, who happen to be aspiring writers and directors.It usually takes about two weeks to find a film and analyze, and usually it takes quite a bit of watching before we find any thing concrete we can discuss. From there we re-watch it till we get really sick of the movie, then spend way too long recording, hoping my business partners doesn't have that twinge of fry voice to it and then if needs to be re-writing lines if we find they work on paper, but not spoken. All the music we do use is from audio jungle, from other artists, if you where ever curious where we got our music from.

Our goal is too put them out more on a consistent basis, targeting a video every two weeks, and we are trying to that for Thursday after next.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 7, 2016

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I subscribed as soon as I saw the 'It Follows' video you guys made, which I think was the first and only video on your channel at the time - really like the cut of your jib and been enjoying the uploads since. Well done, peeps. Please don't allow Max Landis on your videos.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
That was so long ago. We where thinking, if we get 200 views we would be happy. I mean would anyone watch it? Our are voices any good? Then the doubt sets in... Max Landis and us, now that would be interesting, I wonder what he would possibly say. Also, we are Canadian so maybe he doesn't even a passport.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Love your vids. This thread might take a while to get going (CineD and NMD are loving dead these days) but I look forward to future updates.

edit; and I gotta say...this format would be perfect for a 2-part exploration of all the mad max films...say, environmentalism vs automotive liberty, sexuality and exploitation, mythmaking, or whathaveyou

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 25, 2016

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
SO, with our latest episode we decided to go full SMG and explore hapticity with a dash of castration anxiety within early CGI and how it relates to our psychoanalytic desires: CGI: Embracing The Intangible

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's an interesting idea - but I would think, or rather, feel that because film cannot convey sensation beyond sight/sound, even if they try and overcome this by having actual real actors interact with the impossible CGI/special effects, that nothing shown on screen could replace reality, no matter how fetishized it got.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Going all the way back to 1990 we look at Zhang Yimou's (Hero, House of Flying Daggers), Ju Dou and how it uses setting and characters to represent ideology and its potential relation to Modern China at the time.

Also, if you are still interested in our work, we have a podcast where we discuss our process, film news, reviews of contemporary films, and much more.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 18, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

Going all the way back to 1990 we look at Zhang Yimou's (Hero, House of Flying Daggers), Ju Dou and how it uses setting and characters to represent ideology and its potential relation to Modern China at the time.

Also, if you are still interested in our work, we have a podcast where we discuss our process, film news, reviews of contemporary films, and much more.

Oh, man, you had me at Judou.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It is such a gorgeous film, I can't believe some of it is 16mm. I was drooling the first time I saw it at the colours and that last shot we use in the video essay.We want to look at more films from the era (Puppet Master, Farewell My Concubine, Raise The Red Lantern), to see if there is anything we can talk about. But also just to watch them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wow, your work is fuckin great.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you! We are going to try to alternate between popular movies and independent/art house, as nice as it would be to get viewers, we find there is a lack of good analysis for lesser known films. Hopefully people appreciate it haha.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I posted that you should make a Mad Max vid without knowing you already had one. :doh:

Really good stuff. The only thing I'd say is that the War Rig in MM doesn't seem to me a strict representation of the masculine, but rather like you say of Furiosa, it is performing that gender.

Over the course of the film it takes on the alternate characteristics: womb-like, maternal, self-sacrificing and...with those bulbous tanks of mother's milk hooked in back, pregnant.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

SO, with our latest episode we decided to go full SMG and explore hapticity with a dash of castration anxiety within early CGI and how it relates to our psychoanalytic desires: CGI: Embracing The Intangible

This is dope.

My only question is: isn't film itself, CGI aside, as a representation of the real also a simulation? Doesn't it already interact with life in a way that it's not merely a reflection or representation, but a fantasy that's indistinguishable from "real reality"? I guess what I'm asking is couldn't you replace CGI in your video with just straight film and reach the same questions and conclusions? And if you can, then does that render CGIs meaninglessness, or does it mean that there's an even deeper psychological process going on with CGI interaction that may even transcend the more grounded psychoanalytical field of Freud and start getting into some of the Reichian/Jungian spiritual realm of experience?

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It does make sense! I will try to answer it the best I can (this was my partners essay haha). I think the main point is and you are right all film is in essence a fabrication or simulation, but its more what you alluded in your second point about how CGI goes further.

With the advent and progression of CGI, it goes beyond simple filmic representation to bring forth images that traditionally never could have been filmed and that these elements that we desperately want to film may potentially come from a deeper subconscious area of our brain. This is why we related the silent film 'Warning Shadows' and early CGI as they both implement their SFX in very similar ways. Lastly, you could be completely right about the Reichian/Jungian exploration, but I would need to read more of their work to better understand what they are saying.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I definitely want to check out 'Warning Shadows', I got an El ángel exterminador vibe from your synopsis (but with a happier ending).

You really opened up a whole new world to me with the CGI analysis, and I think it's an interesting subject to view through the lens of fringe psychoanalysis, mysticism, and even the manifestos of the early surrealists. Anything that has to do with the line between the real and unreal/simulated is fascinating to me, especially as technology evolves faster than humanity's emotional maturity. And I love listening to anyone that wants to stop a moment and say, hey, what exactly is it that's going on with us with this? what are we experiencing and what are we feeling?

It's cool stuff man. I look forward to more essays from you guys.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Doing a video essay on Bunuel would be fun, but he really isn't subtle in terms of his themes and messages, haha. Ultimately, we could have planned and presented the material in the CGI essay better, as a lot of people seemed to be thrown off by the whole Freud component of it. Lessons we shall learn for next time.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! If you have time you may be interested in the The Lost World and Jurassic World video essay, CGI is a component of it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'd love to see you guys do one on Tarkovsky. And I thought the Freud thing was fine, you guys very clearly established the perimeters of the analysis as being within that context. Some people will just never be ready for Full SMG.

I'm definitely gonna watch that Lost World one right now before I start my rewatch of Kill List.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I really have nothing to add to the discussion here and just wanted to say you are doing a good job.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Just adding another compliment to the pile, I really am enjoying this series, very well done. Your 'It Follows' video made me wanna see what you'd do with Ti West's House of The Devil.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you very much! I will definitely look into House of the Devil. We actually had in my opinion a solid thesis for The Babadook but an article touched on the same topic and themes, which really bummed us out. We were really excited to do that one and want to get back into doing another horror film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Man, I'd love to see what you have to say about Days of Heaven. Saw it in an actual theater last night and it was a completely different experience compared to DVD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The CGI episode owns. Never seen anything quite like that and it seems weird, as YouTube is the ideal medium for it.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you. People are starting to turn around to it which is a nice surprise. Working on installment for next week, perhaps focusing on Mike Leigh, who tends to be forgotten by movie goers and cinephiles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thank you. People are starting to turn around to it which is a nice surprise. Working on installment for next week, perhaps focusing on Mike Leigh, who tends to be forgotten by movie goers and cinephiles.

Eagerly awaiting analysis

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It is best to imagine that film as like a prequel to Prisoner of Azkaban before Professor Lupin figured his poo poo out. I was tempted to do an essay after watching Mister Turner and noticed something interesting he does with the set designs in regards to statues, but it was too minor of a point to center a whole essay around. Hoping his other works have similar uses of set and production design that can be discussed.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Heeeeeeeeeeello, So still working on that Mike Leigh essay in the meantime here is our latest essay on Carol. Hope you enjoy!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

You said you were both from Toronto - I'm getting Film or RTA at Ryerson?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Their RTA program I want to say is more well regarded, but they have a solid equipment room from what I heard. It all depends on what you want to do. Screenwriting at York is probably at the top. Truthfully in film school its more the connections and partnerships you make.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Heyllo,

Quick update, we now have a Patreon if you ever felt like tipping for our videos. Sadly, the video we have made for it is more controversial, (we thought it would be cute and the internet is very mean). But yes if you are interested please click the link and check out our page. Have a great day!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The CGI episode owns. Never seen anything quite like that and it seems weird, as YouTube is the ideal medium for it.

Yeah I'm catching up and it's by far their best one.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thank you. I knew that video would have a home on S.A.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
E: Double Post

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 21, 2016

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys,

first I should have never said that our next essay is on Mike Leigh, this one is proving to be tricky, however our latest essay on Waltz With Bashir is available! Hope you enjoy

Walter Kovacs
May 23, 2007
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Great job on the Waltz With Bashir video. And good luck with the Patreon. I signed up to contribute, hope it helps.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wow, thank you. Our goal was to keep the tiers fairly varied, but still cost effective, hopefully you found that the case as well. Also, glad to hear you enjoyed the Waltz With Bashir one, its a fantastic documentary,. I find that in general the 2000s had some really good documentaries, (Capturing The Friedmans, Nostalgia For The Light, Gleaners and I, Grizzly Man, Fog Of War etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Good job. I find the no-jokes approach of that video much better than the earlier barrage of visual puns. I think you don't need forced humour to make your videos watchable, the content is easily strong enough to keep the viewer interested.

• Locked thread