Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
We keep the little visual cards at the beginning as they are a little looser and comedic, but it also helps build a brand and makes us a tad bit idiosyncratic hopefully. But, yea we have been avoiding comedy and it looks for our latest one coming next week we will avoid as well. I find that the Carol essay was our best written one, cause we had a little fun with the prose and committed two days to writing it. However, with all that said, I like the puns in our Patreon (at least we didn't call it Petreon), disheartens me that people who are actually subscribed to us would dislike it; the internet is cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh please don't get me wrong, your channel is great, and don't let internet people tell you what to do if you enjoy it the way it's going.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought you were "Da Decider"! Have a drat backbone!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
O no we will keep our humour, I think it makes us unique.

The internet I find has a deep rooted sense of tribalism, if you are a funny channel be that, if you are doing ponderous videos on weighty themes and movies then do that. I think people are taken off guard that we interject comedy and it makes them defensive. How dare you try to make this funny, its a serious movie! Also, that derdogatory line took too many times to say right haha.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Death By The Blues posted:

O no we will keep our humour, I think it makes us unique.

The internet I find has a deep rooted sense of tribalism, if you are a funny channel be that, if you are doing ponderous videos on weighty themes and movies then do that. I think people are taken off guard that we interject comedy and it makes them defensive. How dare you try to make this funny, its a serious movie! Also, that derdogatory line took too many times to say right haha.

Jaded cynicism is the internet's default cadence.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Refuse to be cynical, actually after listening to myself on the podcast, I laugh too much at my own jokes, need to fix that. Also, cause you guys are awesome, our next essay will be on A Separation, sooooo goooo watch it (its amazing).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A Separation is incredible, so I will probably rewatch it.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It is. You should check out the 1990 film Hamoun (pretty sure it inspired A Separation maybe).

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Heyllo, here is our latest video essay on A Separation

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I like what you're doing, and have subscribed. Keep it up!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Danke and we just got our first copyright takedown, success! Also, is there any goons in Fort Wayne Indiana?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Heyllo, here is our latest video essay on A Separation

Loved this movie, and I love this essay.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
In general I love Iranian cinema and recommend every film that we used in the beginning montage. Also, really recommend The House Is Black.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Lets dust this off.

New video essay on Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Alright, time to get weird with it. Our essay on Midnight Special is up!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Alright, time to get weird with it. Our essay on Midnight Special is up!

I haven't seen Midnight Special, but this makes me want to check it out.

WRT the essay itself, I'm with you on most of it, but can you really call MoS escapism? Most of the complaints it received were about how its use of violence was so overbearing that people couldn't just "have fun" or w/e. The whole film was pretty much pressing the viewer's face to the glass as it critiqued the way violence is used and depicted in blockbuster films. Also, considering Godzilla got his start as a cathartic release for the suffering caused by atomic weapons, it feels kind of weird lumping him in with the progression seen in stuff like Fantastic Four or Ninja Turtles. Like yeah, I get its a franchise that got really campy after the first one, but I never really got the sense that the latest Godzilla film took the ideas of that franchise someplace entirely new.

Good essays though, keep it up! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Escapist, in the terms of ignoring and not having a cathartic release. We use film as a therapeutic session, but movies nowadays aren't really helping with that but stagnating our culture and we are not moving on.

• Locked thread