Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Boosted_C5 posted:

This is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what the hell this means but MAN does it sound scary as gently caress.

We cannot abide POWERFUL ASSAULT WEAPONS in our society. Say it loud, say it proud, BAN 'EM.

scary black rifle with shoulder thing that goes up is way more powerful than grandpa's .308 hunting rifle, right? don't answer, I'm just going to assume, and base my entire gun control platform around that fact which I'm quite sure is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Jackson Taus posted:

[1] - now to be fair, House of Delegates elections fall in odd years, and that does hurt us. But I don't think it hurts us to the tune of 15-20 seats.

Maybe the dems could put together a plank that gets people out to vote more than once every 4 years? I mean the DNC sure has figured out how to get Republicans to turn out in off years.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

enraged_camel posted:

This is about controlling guns, not banning guns.

Wow, I feel like I've accidentally stepped into an elevator with a bunch of Freepers.....

In reality, virtually every piece of gun control legislation proposed or implemented has explicitly been more about culture war and sticking it in the eye of gun owners while doing absolutely nothing about gun crimes. Look no further than the NYS SAFE act for a perfect example. It's bad enough that you want to ban guns, but to continue to lie about it is just salt in the wound.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

go3 posted:

im gonna assume the middle pages of this thread are about gun control and give this as exhibit A why the democratic party is going to continue to get slaughtered in the House

Yes, lots more talking down to the unwashed masses about how we really want to gun control, all evidence to the contrary be damned. Who are you stupid gunhavers going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

The Insect Court posted:

People without bizarre psychological fixations on guns are pretty down on the idea of a Second Amendment loving patriot blowing away a bunch of first graders with an AR15 that had a wood stock. It's just that the gun nuts fixate so powerfully on those big, black guns for some reason. You realize this, I'm sure. Take a look around the next gun show/survivalist convention/militia meeting you go to, lots of white guys who just love to wrap both their hands around some huge black weapon.

We don't have ADTRW posters flooding into these sort of threads and confidently declaring the key to the Democratic Party's future is lowering the age of consent, why do gun nuts feel the need to project their obsessions onto an American electorate which in every poll display strong support for the sort of commonsense gun safety measures the mere mention of which is enough to cause an ammosexuals' balls to un-descend.

Every poll except, you know, when people go to actually vote.

Edit: I love the use of the term "common sense" to describe things like outlawing pistol grips and barrel shrouds, like either of those things contribute AT ALL to gun violence. So either you don't understand what the term "common sense" means, or you and your ilk are willfully distorting terminology to suit your ideological agenda. I think most voters intuitively understand which it is.

gobbagool fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 9, 2016

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

blowfish posted:

why

what is the problem with having lots of casual sex, unless you think feminism is a synonym for ban sex

Maybe because he violated pretty much every HR rule in the book while porking his intern on his desk? Young women are a lot less keen to accept the trade off with the big dog that the olds were. My mother loves Bill Clinton, my wife and teenage daughter either feel bad for her or actively dislike her for not leaving Bill.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

punk rebel ecks posted:

So far in this thread we have smaller district lines and back off of gun control as suggestions.

Anything else?

Have Beyonce perform more Malcom X songs at the dem national convention

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Smudgie Buggler posted:

No, that's a perfectly valid observation, but it's a) not what Troika said, and b) insanely banal.

A person whose job it is to deal with violence and crime on behalf of the community is more likely to shoot someone than Joe Citizen. Wow, holy poo poo.

It didn't even occur to me that the original thesis was that trivial. I doubt there's a first world country in which that isn't true.

That's as absurd as saying that the wealthy have most of the money, someone should stop all the crazy talk post haste

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd actually be surprised if most western European police forces out-homiceded their populations.

Iceland's cops have killed what, like one person? Their total firearms murder rate can't be that high but I bet it's greater than one murder ever.

Comparing what goes on in a wealthy monocrhromatic isolated country of 300k versus the US really isn't helpful.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

This is why I think the real test of Sanders will be whether the coalition of activists he's helped to build will actually remain intact after he loses. Because the kind of changes they envision are going to take decades of struggle to even be plausible, not a single cathartic and exciting presidential campaign.

A good post, I clipped some of it to comment on this last piece. Sanders' coalition is what, exactly? Mostly young, somewhat ideologically motivated voters? I'm not sure I know, except there's a massive enthusiasm gap between his supporters and Hillary's. If enthusiasm counts, this might be the start of a lasting movement. On the other hand, chances are when the next iphone is announced most of his peeps will be off to chase the next shiny thing. Remember when OWS was going to change everything?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Jarmak posted:

The problem with the assault weapon stupidity is that not only does it antagonize gun owners it's plainly stupid policy.

Seriously it's like so loving dumb to anyone with the slightest knowledge of guns it actively discredits gun control in the same way "the internet is a series of tubes" discredited the anti net neutrality crowd.

Only Ted Stevens' analogy made way more sense.

Making laws that are ignored, and everybody recognizes that they are ignored, like the NYS SAFE Act, does nothing to help the rule of law, but rather makes an entire class of otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals. Funny that the SAFE Act only resulted in a few thousand registered "assault weapons" out of the 1-2 million estimated to exist in NYS. To your point exactly, Andrew Cuomo attempted to outlaw magazines that held more than 7 bullets in the process, effectively rendering useless every single modern sporting rifle in the state. Now, did he do that out of ignorance, or malice? My guess is, the deep thinkers of the administration wanted to keep the existing limit of 10 rounds, but Cuomo, being half the politician his father was, with twice the mouth, arbitrarily declared 7 a better number than 10 and went on tv and had a Howard Dean-esque meltdown about killing deer. Yet here we are, 2+ years later, stuck with the stupid SAFE act that everybody is ignoring, but it's still on the books. He'll continue to get re-elected in NYS because he holds the correct opinions on BLM and Abortion, but that's as much because the Republican party barely exists here any more.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, which was one of the most embarrassingly useless federal firearms restrictions ever, and was allowed to sunset with little fanfare because it accomplished nothing .

The AWB is absolutely not what you want to model any effective gun control policy off of, because it was purely about scary looking cosmetics.

Regarding 'box magazines', you do realize that you are appealing to an effective ban on 90% of pistols and rifles developed in the last century, yes? Other than 1800's era tube fed rifles, revolvers, most shotguns, and the rare few break action rifles, the vast majority of firearms use a detachable box magazine.

I wonder when we'll see the first mass killing with a mosin, bayonet affixed. 100% SAFE Act legal!

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Liquid Communism posted:

At the end of the day, mass shootings are a terrible thing to base sweeping gun laws on in the first place. They are the rarest of firearms crimes, and are generally committed by perpetrators whose plans are only obvious in hindsight, and for whom only mass confiscation of all privately owned firearms would really stand as a preventative measure. Most of them have clean backgrounds and no reason to be denied on a background check, or obtain their weapons (as the Sandy Hook killer did) via murder and theft.

Which sort of makes my earlier point, nobody, even the biggest Andrew Cuomo or Leah Gunn fanboy has ever really thought that any of these gun control measures would ever result in any kind of ADDITIONAL reduction (beyond what was already occurring naturally over time) of gun crime, or absolutely positively would not have prevented ANY of the mass shootings we've had so far. Given that, we can only conclude that the real point of this kind of legislation was purely fan service, and everybody knows it

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Now come on, if not for D&D than who else is going to worry about Affirmative Action for Mars, and minimum 25,000 word posts about babby's first communism

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope
I just had a crazy thought, what if the Democrats ran candidates that people wanted to vote for in local and state elections? Part of that might include reducing the sort of chicanery that shows Hillary being ahead of Bernie in total committed delegates. It's disingenuous to fuss about democracy being subverted when you cant even run a strait nomination process.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

Shut up about guns. The Dems got into this situation by neglecting basically every major demographic of their base and rebelling against most of their traditional supporters, while pushing policies and platforms that are mostly virtually indistinguishable from those of Republicans, and completely abandoning the Democratic movements in many states to wither and die so they could focus more money on the presidential races - not by talking about maybe possibly putting common sense restrictions on your dumb single-issue that's already entirely dominated by a massive Republican lobbying agency anyway.

There's that common sense thing again. Sure, what are your common sense gun restrictions that would win the hearts and minds of any voter not already in the bag for whatever corpse the Dems run? Maybe this time it'll really be common sense based. I'm thinking restrictions on bandoleer size and fabric type, requirements for a certain type of footwear to be worn when purchasing firearms, some sort of signed statement promising not to murder anyone, just spitballing here, what do you have?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

blowfish posted:

The average voter will vote against being inconvenienced, no matter how many people other he'd otherwise be in favour of supporting end up being oppressed.

Why is "people care about themselves more than about others" such a surprising concept :confused:

Because this is D&D, where what should be trumps what is. If you don't consider absolutely everybody except yourself in your decisionmaking, you're obviously a bigot racist xenophobe wrongthinker

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. The problem is that the "gun control is killing the Dems" people expect me to believe that these people would vote for higher taxes on themselves to support poor people, affirmative action that helps minorities but not themselves, and other assorted progressive measures that involve sacrificing their white privilege and economic prosperity and even safety in order to help the less fortunate, but the possibility of experiencing mild inconveniences in the course of their gun hobby is the one thing they absolutely have to vote selfishly on? Bullshit. They'd still be voting Republican even if the Dems left the status quo as otbis and didn't push further gun control.

You've got this weird thing about judging people voting for their own self interest. Maybe that's something democrats should change. Recognize that human beings are, at the core, interested in their own well being, and shaming people because they don't score well in your tmblr classification/purity test isn't a great strategy for overall success.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Gun violence actual affects important Democratic blocs, whereas nobody is terroristing Alabama.

Good point, no blacks whatsoever in Alabama

edit: since I know D&D goons are only vaguely familiar with demographics in red states, I'll help you. Alabama is about 25% black, a higher percentage than any blue state except MD

gobbagool fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 11, 2016

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

The Insect Court posted:

It amuses me that your unslaked gunlust causes you to abandon your usual half-assed pretense of being progressive on racial issues to repeat the 'Democrats need to court jittery shut-ins waiting for RAHOWA' line so beloved of hardcore NAMGLA members. Now tell us Democrats should propose mining the border so those poor misunderstood white supremacists will feel respected by Democrats.

Or, alternatively, the Dems can stick to the path they are on, and continue to get slaughtered at the state and local levels. The DNC plan for taking and holding the house and senate has been a complete and utter failure, I think we can all agree.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Flowers For Algeria posted:

gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun GUN

Why do you consistently post in threads about American politics when your contribution is rarely more than smarmy condescension? Is your life that devoid of meaning?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

DeusExMachinima posted:

Then allow me to suggest, at the risk of becoming too abstract here, that you spend your time on something you can accomplish but that has also quantifiable significant public safety results?

I'd say end the war on drugs but the left is far too deep in the pockets of public employee unions for that to ever fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

I don't doubt it. In most states in the US, public employee unions are (with good reason) completely in the bag for Democrats. They pour huge sums of money into Democratic political campaigns. One of the more powerful subsets of the public employee unions (at least in the NE and Great Lakes regions, where I live) are the Corrections officers. They're vocal, and very well organized, and tend to get their way in intra-union conflicts. This group stands to lose considerable power and numbers if the drug laws are reformed because they wont have as many 'customers'. Any time there's talk of drug law reform, the immediately and stridently oppose it.

• Locked thread