Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoobles

it feels really good, i went from 8,000+ unread emails down to 5.

i'll share my email organization strategies here if anyone's interested, if anyone has a v. messy inbox and avoids their email now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bong

by Shine
tell me how u did it bitch

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GEExCEE

you just delete all the old stuff you obviously don't need

smoobles

OK here's what i did (this is gmail btw, i dunno how other services work)

GEExCEE posted:

you just delete all the old stuff you obviously don't need

that's the first step, more or less. you mark EVERYTHING read, then mark unread any recent stuff that matters

the second, longer step is to manually click "next" for the 100 or so most recent emails and if any have an unsubscribe button hit it

here's the key though: TURN OFF PRIORITY INBOX. it's a gimmick and makes your inbox less useful. set your gmail to its default vanilla settings where emails are either read or unread (not marked important, that's stupid, every email should be important or not exist). google ruined the idea of email with priority inbox, u should answer all your emails not just important ones, it's a dumb feature that encourages you to let your inbox fill up with junk and only look at the important ones at the top

the final ongoing step is to always unsubscribe from email services you hate instead of just ignoring or marking them read. that's just a behavioral change, but if you keep up with it you'll become better at answering emails, and you'll actually enjoy email as a tool again like you did in 2004 instead of it being a horrifying junk yard of text

smoobles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2016

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I will never do this I enjoy my huge messy inbox sometimes I look back on old pages like it's an archeological dig of my life

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

like check out this gmail chat log from '08 back when chat logs were cool

Bo-Pepper: What's up? Actually on a computer that can chat at the moment
Some Girl: omg i am home today--was literally rushed to ER in an ambulance yesterday
i thought it was food poisiong
Bo-Pepper: What the hell happened?
Some Girl: bc in typical me fashion, i had THE WORST diareah cramps u could imagine on sunday
i was at my sisters place in PA and had a minor poo poo storm on sunday so i took immodium AD bc i was going to be on a train
Bo-Pepper: But you always have diarrhea and cramps. That's like your thing
Some Girl: i KNOW

i need to have access to that chat at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles

i kept all my old emails, I just marked them as read so now when my app says 1 new email it is for real, that notification indicates a person emailed me

----------------

• Locked thread