Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

The cast is the primary reason why the show is so entertaining. The material is pretty bog standard comedy light novel stuff but the cast knocks it out of the park.

I think the material is pretty unique honestly, the setup is bog-standard reincarnation LN but everyone involved are useless idiots so everyone just fucks around at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd argue more that the manga is honestly just kinda a bad adaption, but I think if I recommend reading the LN any harder I'd just turn people off. :v:

Really most of the changes the anime makes are just cutting things for the sake of fitting two volumes into a cour, which... kinda comes back to bite it a lot because Konosuba is one of those stories where everything is relevant at some point. S1 skipped Wiz's introduction (which notably confused a lot of people), the party swap (which led to Dust and co coming out of nowhere), and Keele's Dungeon (which is an important location for volume 3).

It's a LN. There is an existing WN, and it's actually complete, but it's very much a first draft of the story. The LN makes a lot of changes for the better.

wait they left out the party swap? that's one of my favorite bits because you think it's going to be a standard "everyone learns the value of appreciating what we have" but instead kazuma has incredible success and a fantastic time when he's not plagued by idiots

spoiled because i have no clue what's gonna show up this season

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 12, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I really would recommend it, as stiff as the translations are (especially the earlier volumes). As funny as Konosuba is now, it gets even better as the story goes along. Numerous jokes start to pay off, characters legitimately develop, and a surprising amount of progress is made. Konosuba is a story where it actually feels like the author knows where they're going, which is something that many other LNs feel at, even other ones that were originally WNs.

it's a story about nothing that has everything :toot:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

:same:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

krnhotwings posted:

I'm glad that the animation budget is properly apportioned toward Kazuma's finger thing.

also the GOD BLOW

the animation budget being spent entirely on the most pointless things is the most konosuba thing possible

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Poil posted:

Wouldn't she need to really dump a ton of points into mana to get a second cast? At that point it might be better to just slowly increase mana to be just enough for one cast of a progressively bigger explosion. Also it leads to more powerful explosions so it's better this way. :v:

i think mana only increases with level, so as her mana increases she just keeps pumping up explosion to just below the point she'd die from it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, as I saw it described elsewhere she's basically a max-level character except she can still level to get skill points (to spend on useless crap). So, she's very powerful... Except for her dump stats and somewhat focused skillset (offensively she has the anti-undead stuff and water attacks, and it turns out lots of things are resistant/immune to water and also aren't undead) making it so most of the time she's not capable of ending things on her own she's basically useless, particularly when combined with her personality.

there's probably holy attack skills or whatever or maybe even just a weapon skill but she needs to min/max for maximum party-trick efficency

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Iretep posted:

Oh nice, i was worried theyd skip this one since it didnt show up in season 1. Its a nice story since itll be the only time Aqua seems to do something serious. Only side story still missing is the party swap one which probably wont be shown since the characters that got introduced from it have already been introduced.

that one's super-good but can really fit in anywhere

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kyte posted:

Those animations were reused from last season so technically it didn't cost them anything this time around. :ssh: :v:

i don't think god blow was, i know the finger thing was reused though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm pretty sure this season's allotted budget was 5 dollars and a can full of jellybeans, so they're actually working miracles here

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agronox posted:

Maybe they get into this in the LNs, but what does Megumin do during low level battles where there's no point in EXPLOSIONing? Stand around and strike poses?

she explosions anyway

she'd cast it at the first shadow she sees if kazuma wasn't there to put a lid on it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

Blatant mega-man sprites but :aaaaa:

turning the adventurer class into a megaman thing is actually amazingly brilliant

e: also i like how aqua's lovely water fan party trick is a super screen clearing move

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 1, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Conot posted:

ACTUAL NOVEL SPOILERS DO NOT READ

I loving MEAN IT

No, Kazuma and Megumin start going out once Megumin gets older and enters Kazuma's "Strike Zone"

ALSO NOVEL SPOILERS

i don't think they're actually officially dating, also there's a definite attraction between kazuma and darkness but i think they individually decide it wouldn't work out??? it's unclear, there's still some tension there though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Negrostrike posted:

And that's what ruins it completely for me. Kazuma is keeping me from continuing watching this series. Just another harem anime or am I so completely wrong?

you're very much wrong, don't worry about it. characters develop naturally in this series so all this stuff is a long ways off and spaced out very well

also despite the horrible lies of the password screen kazuma is actually the best character

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 2, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ANYWAY,

same

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Darkness probably has insane charisma or something because every one of her outbreaks has people assuming something else entirely.

i think it's been noted several times that her stats are actually really good, she just has no offensive skills whatsoever, "crusader" sounds like a paladin prestige class

also tbf alderp's son is basically the nicest dude ever

Iretep posted:

The anime skipped Kazuma talking with Darknesses dad in private before Alderps son appeared. Youd get a better impression on him in the LN basically.
And yeah, this isnt the first time he has tried to marry off Darkness and is well aware she is what she is. Its why he hired Kazuma to make sure Darkness did nothing to break the engagement.

yeah he genuinely wants her to be happy but he's not particularly keen on her ideal scenario for obvious reasons

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 4, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Darkness wanting to become a abused housewife seems kinda horrifying but if it was just like "roleplaying" it could be fine.

I echo the sentiment though that Kazuma is probably the closest you can get to her ideal without that person being a loathsome human being.

to be fair i don't think darkness herself understands it that well

e: this dumb gag series has a weird amount of character depth

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 4, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

She has good offensive stats, but her weapon skills (which she needs to hit) have no points in them, for the reason your stated, is what I think is meant. She's terrifying physically but she outright refuses to improve her ability to actually use her weapon.

Which makes me wonder where all her points are actually going, come to think of it. Have we seen her use, like, any skills yet?

it all goes to passive defenses I assume

remember that she survived an explosion which is the strongest spell in the world power-wise, she's pretty much unkillable

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

It's the Wile E. Coyote principle: the reason we accept how much poo poo he takes is that it's ultimately his own fault because he's a terrible person.

i think he stops just short of genuinely terrible but dude definitely loves bein' garbage

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Iretep posted:

Aqua is an Arch Priest to be exact which sounds like some generic korean mmo class. All Classes seem to mostly be in fact generic mmo classes and Kazuma was offered to be taken to the new world because he was a neet who played them. If Aqua had good offencive spells besides the holy ones im sure Kazuma would have forced her to take some already. Darkness and Megumin both know how the class works so they would have also pointed it out. Like in the story where they meet Wiz Darknes says its common for priets to not level much since they can only attack undead and demons which are rare.
Edit: oh right the anime didnt do the wiz meeting.

Darkness and Megumin are both insanely overspecialized min-maxers, they're the last people who would point it out. Kazuma also puts up with those two so I doubt he'd force Aqua to take skills she didn't want(he'll bitch about it though)

either way the real answer is "because it's funny"

e:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aqua hates and fears giant frogs more than anything else so naturally she would never think to acquire skills to help her deal with them

I think that was the whole point of GOD BLOW, which turned out to be real poo poo against frogs whoops

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Superbowl always ends up being inevitably overblown crap and boring as poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol at aqua getting yamcha'd

someone else seemed to have made that connection since she busted out a solar flare too

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Explosions posted:

Or mohawk guy. God drat I love mohawk guy.

I'm a little disappointed that, with all that build-up, their solution was just to explode the poo poo out of him and hope Darkness survived, but I can't pretend that it wasn't the Konosubest possible ending.

pink suspenders mohawk guy is anime-original and everyone involved in this series seems to love him a lot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

z0glin Warchief posted:

His VA got included in some main cast interview and was constantly like "why am I even here?", it was fairly entertaining.

that rules

he was also on a drama cd cover

(he never appears in this I believe)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Poil posted:

No Megumin. 0/10 would not explode again.

side B!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

why was that SNIPE so amazingly animated

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

More like they figure out the scenes they think are best without budget and then just spend the rest on whatever is left, knowing this show.

i like the idea that they have a huge budget and spent it all on revolutionary new low effort animation technologies

e: also the Aqua Smirk is anime-only and extremely good(she does make fun of him for "being too confident" in the books though)

e2: speaking of book/anime differences i'm sad we never got this shot after kazuma's (other) mighty blade was named

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 17, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Wowzers.

I want all three, with a mini-kotatsu Kazuma to complete the set.

i can't decide if i like or hate the fact that kazuma never gets any merch

he's the best character but it's also very konosuba to have him left out like that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

why does vanir make this dumb loving face when he uses his death beam and why is it so funny

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

e: Youtube link of gameplay

e2: Game is still fun. Playing special stages to the music of the 2nd OP :dance:

lol at kazuma waving stolen items above his head, and aqua trying to explain the GOD BLOW like a shounen manga after using it

i mean the game itself seems to be rear end but those parts are fun

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

all the characters should be bullied and also hugged

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Or is it that Kusoma is genuinely heroic and most other heroic characters are impossibly heroic?

kazuma loves being garbage but tends to steer towards doing the right thing when pressed, he seems like a realistic good-hearted teenager to me

Tamba posted:

Isn't Chomusuke male? -suke is a male name ending, unless Chrimson Demon names are even weirder than we thought.

I think Kazuma usually uses "he" to refer to chomusuke in the novels but I also think he doesn't really care enough to find out for sure

he does dote on it though, he's a cat person :3:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

I mean, Vanir and Wiz ARE both subordinates of the Demon King and should probably be dealt with accordingly. Aqua is spot on there.

Wiz is totally harmless and Vanir loves humans, they're not exactly threats to humanity.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Be sure to say hi to Eris for me, and don't point out her padding. That's mean and she doesn't deserve people being mean to her.

Be mean to Aqua instead, she's very bullyable.

Talking about bullying, Yunyun is pretty impressive on how hard she's being bullied entirely by accident. That takes some serious skill in being a bullying victim.

social anxiety is a crash course in bullying yourself

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Evil Thing posted:

I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back saying that KonoSuba is fantasy anime Seinfeld, so I guess this is the kind of show that is easily mapped onto the American sitcom format.

You have a bunch of really awful but interesting/funny people all bouncing off each other and whatever absurd situation of the week.

it's basically d&d seinfeld except if the characters had actual redeeming qualities

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

How early should you introduce them to a Vanir

vanir's dungeon of dumb bullshit is an adventure for players level 11-13

it's basically the tomb of horrors except all the death is replaced with pies to the face

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vanir is even like D&D Devils in that killing him on the material plane does not even do anything to him.

but killing him took one of his lives

(i don't think it's ever explained what this means beyond "actual devils are weird")

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vanir only has one life. The one belonging to his true duke of hell self. The Vanir we see is just an avatar of him manifested on the material plane. He is a goof so he felt like changing the look of his mask and calling himself Vanir MK II. There is no actual difference and the death of his first avatar had no effect on him what so ever.

He makes another brief reference to it in a flashback about how someone "almost took one of my lives" so it might actually be a weird thing he has

but yeah it's also entirely possible he's just loving around

explosion's one selling point is that nothing can really shrug it off, so vanir probably took some legit damage from it at least

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they did take one of the lives of his avatars. Does not change that he has an infinite number of them. (Though only one at a time.)

Explosion killed Vanir. But due to his nature It had no effect on his true body in hell. Who just created another manifestation of himself put a MK II on the Mask and sent it forth.

i don't think that's how he works, but we don't really have enough to go on so to each their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Comrade Kirov posted:

For some reason it smells to me like a perfect timing to do a movie next...

Next volume heavy focuses on fan favourite Megumin and her village of weirdos that present the ideal opportunity to create a bigger budget thing with all the shenanigans, new fun characters, a nice touching moment at the end and a big fight all in one book.

And then if that does well they can make the volumes 6-7 into a third season since they interlock pretty decently.

5/6/7 all have pretty climactic final acts imo