Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

There Bias Two posted:

It actually made him seem pretty badass. This made his death by falling out of a tree more hilarious.

Yeah, the party's actual incompetence wouldn't be as entertaining if they weren't theoretically capable of being competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't really see any evidence that Vanir is a threat to anybody, yeah.

Even when he was evil his evil plan was "sit in one place and wait for some adventurers to opt-in to being trolled by me."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Vanir isn't a good person but he also isn't really the kind of person you can justify killing just for existing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I think one of the reasons that Darkness' schtick works so well is that a lot of the time she's almost teetering on the edge of being a decent person.

And then the heavy breathing starts and it all comes crashing down again.

The show only works because everybody in it is sort of a good person in addition to being a bad person.

Kazuma wants to be a hero and to help the people he happens to come across, and he also wants to be a turboperv and to give himself the highest quality of life possible. The second thing doesn't make the first thing false; it just makes it really difficult for him to do because his goals tend to be mutually contradictory.

Aqua and Megumin both want to be helpful and good at their party role; they just tend to fail because their mindsets result in their making lots and lots of bad decisions in the field.

Darkness wants to be a good tank and to protect the innocent, but she generally fails to be a good tank because she has a conflict of interest because she really, really, really wants to suffer as much as she possibly can and this drives her to take the path of most resistance even if it doesn't wind up helping the party.

If any of them were complete trash it would be a much more mean-spirited form of comedy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I noticed that VERTICAL actually revised the translation of NISIOISIN's first Zaregoto book, and I wonder if anybody knew how. This is one of those things that don't get a lot of attention.

(There's also nobody you can really go to for "is this anime bluray good or is it a cheap terrible encode".)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Vengarr posted:

The source prose is really dry, there's no avoiding that (and I think the translator memes were a boon there). But every volume Yen Press mistranslates something, and it's always juuust important/prominent enough to annoy me instead of just turning the page.

"Magical magic."

I have to wonder how much of the way light novels read is due to actual "dry" prose and how much is just Japanese allowing for huge clause-filled sentences that can't be rendered in English without sounding stilted or completely rewriting each paragraph.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Poil posted:

Is the protective shield just to keep them out as well?

Some people just want to live a high-quality life in another world, I guess.

Mohawk guy being the Devil King also works, I guess, which might explain why he has a much higher opinion of Kazuma than he probably should. After all, the guy does keep defeating all his top guys.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You can at least buy it as an ebook, which I feel obligated to support given how many light novels refuse to do electronic versions for some incredibly stupid reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Haven't studies shown that the easier a product is to acquire legally, the less likely people are to pirate it or whatever?

I don't know if it's true universally, although I assume it is.

I know I sure used to pirate a lot of music, and now, when I can easily buy it for money, I do that instead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I bought the EPUB version to have a look, and I'm annoyed because the character stats illustrations is so compressed that even when I export it out of the ebook and blow it up, I can't read the darn thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even when Aqua does nothing wrong she causes something to go wrong.

Aqua reminds me a lot of Inspector Clouseau in that her problems still not so much from the fact that she's stupid, as from the fact that she never accepts that she has any limitations and thus continues to smack into them again and again, and is still surprised every time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't see where these two things go together. She gets off on being mocked and ignored, he mocks and ignores her.

Kazuma enjoys mocking Darkness, but he doesn't enjoy it sexually; so they can't really be in a relationship, because he wants to keep his sarcasm and his sex life separate and wouldn't enjoy having to do that kind of routine in bed.

quote:

This and that she doesn't seem to understand that some of those limitations are the 'we don't care how good you are at High Priest/Goddess thing we don't want you to do that thing period' IE her purifying water thing.

She doesn't seem to do that on purpose. The problem is that she never recognizes that she has a problem with unintentionally purifying things and thus keeps wandering into situations where she handles things that shouldn't be purified without really taking any precautions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kazuma being a bad person means he usually fails at being a hero, but it doesn't mean he doesn't try to be heroic.

(He's also fairly dutiful about cleaning up messes somebody in the party caused.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Everybody else has something deeply wrong built straight into their character build. Darkness has no offense, Megumin has... nothing but all-out offense, and Kazuma is just kind of okay all-around.

Aqua's character build is literally perfect for her role, and so her weakness has to be constant bad decisions about how to actually use her abilities.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aqua is like Inspector Clouseau in that her stupidity is like 2% actually having low intelligence and 98% failure to recognize her own limitations, so that she never, ever, considers doing things differently or avoids making her mistakes a second time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The problem is more that it assumes that Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness together aren't perfectly capable of destroying their own side's army.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The early ones are subtle enough that kids can't figure out why they're wrong. Then eventually you get to, oh, let's say Faun and Games and even at twelve you can see that something is up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And I just figured out the pun after thirty years.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eventually, you get to Grey Murphy, who arrives in the magic kingdom only to find that his parents were allowed to escape from the Evil Computer Wizard only because they promised that their son would one day serve him as he conquered the world. Grey is extremely upset about this because obviously honor demands that he keep his parents' promise and serve evil.

People wrote in to point out that Grey Murphy is an idiot and the author got very huffy about how "maybe Grey Murphy has a better sense of honor than you do."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing that strikes me about KonoSuba's fanservice is that characters are only fanservice-y in design when they're having a sexy comedy moment. Darkness has an enormous chest, but that isn't visible in her regular outfit, which looks like fairly respectable armor. It's only when they put her in a ridiculous dress that she starts to have boob physics.

The characters get to hold on to a bit of dignity before they lose all their dignity.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would probably describe Kazuma as "generally aware that he should be working to be a better person that he is." He isn't always working at it that hard, but he does have an actual sense of his responsibilities, which puts him above a lot of other isekai protagonists.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rodyle posted:

we're not FAR from actually meeting the demon king in the books

At this point I feel like we already know everything we need to know about the Devil King, if only because "he's just the chuuni Aqua sent to solve her last big problem and then immediately became her next one" is so correct that it basically has to be true.

Much like "Nozaki thinks Sakura is already his girlfriend" is such a perfect ending to Nozaki-kun that any other ending would be inappropriate.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Deltarune provides a reasonably good example of how you could build an RPG around followers who try to sabotage you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aqua apparently can't make tea without purifying it into water, so I don't think not touching it is good enough.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aqua and Megumin seem exactly right. Darkness is a little trickier and she seems to be a bit more La Pucelle than the original.

Kazuma is honestly really hard to do because, if I'm seeing it right, the Japanese vocal signifiers for his personality type and social role aren't really the same, and doing the same kind of guy is going to mean a different type of voice from the original track. (Like, maybe I'm imagining these, but the stereotypical "otaku" voice seems to be a whole lot deeper than the typical English "geek" voice.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I really enjoyed the whole Rokka series but what I've learned about what comes after the anime convinces me that the TV series quits at exactly the correct place.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Megumin doesn’t really resemble a 13-year-old, anyway, like, at all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I cannot imagine a functional relationship between Aqua and anybody.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Hey goons, just popping in to say I've watched season 1 of KonoSuba and thought it was good and funny.* Hope season 2 gets dubbed soon.

*Except for Episode 11 which I thought had the main dude be way too sleezy than he normally is and felt real weird from a story-angle considering how episode 10 ends.

I think that one is the OVA and not actually part of the first season.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It wouldn't be funny that they're bad if they weren't talented enough to be good.

They all have phenomenal abilities if they used them tactically, they just can't because they're fruit loops. (And of course, they only have these overspecialized builds because they have that kind of damage in the first place.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aqua works as a character for the same reason as Inspector Closeau does; her stupidity is 10% her actually being stupid and 90% her refusing to admit to having faults and doubling down on every mistake she makes while proclaiming herself blameless. If she didn't repeatedly bring it all down on herself her being a punching bag wouldn't be funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Vengarr posted:

That’s describes all of them. They are endlessly amusing train wrecks to the very end.

It's true that they all cause their own suffering, but "is too proud to admit to a mistake" is Aqua's specific thing. Darkness continues to make mistakes because she gets off on making mistakes, and Megumin... honestly, being a mage who only knows Explosion is working out pretty well for Megumin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mazed posted:

Also good is how, no, there's nothing "deep" going on here; she isn't doing what she does to spare the suffering of others. She's precisely as self-serving as the rest of the party, and therefore belongs with them.

Eh, I think Darkness is genuine about being a crusader and a follower of Eris and wanting to help people. She's just put herself into a position where she can follow her ideals and gratify her sexual desires at the exact same time, and that sounds like it would be efficient and convenient but it turns out that it's really, really not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Are the books available in eBook format?

They are, in fact.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gonna have to agree that the bits of Rokka that got adapted are the only bits that are worth knowing about, and you'd be better off just thinking of them as the full series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

blastron posted:

What happened after that? I recall really liking the first season.

You really are better off not knowing. It's not even disgusting or anything; it's just dumb.