Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Jerusalem posted:

He reenacts the post-credits sequence to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, walking out in a bathrobe (with his mask still on), noticing the audience and telling them to go home. It cuts to black and then pops back so he can inform us that if there is a sequel they intend to have Cable in it, and he'll be played by "anybody tall with a flattop - Mel Gibson, Dolph Lundgren.... Keira Knightley? She's got range!"

Aw dam sucks I missed it, won't miss it on my second viewing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I work at a theatre, and saw this at an employee screening last night. Surprisingly pretty good, a lot of jokes land, but it gets mired in it's origin story and flashbacks pretty deep. The best jokes are not in the trailer. No less than 4 references to X-Men: Origins, like 2 to Ryan Renoylds himself...Bea Arthur, chimichangas, Rob Liefield gets a shout-out. Some of the 4th wall stuff is legit funny. About the only thing I didn't like is that Wade Wilson pre-not-Weapon-X is a complete manchild which may be true to comics but it starts to get really grating. Ajax's "what's my name" gimmick also becomes tired after the second of 30 times he asks Deadpool in this movie.

Actually pretty good.

E: My favorite joke:
Colossus: "I'm taking you to the Professor!" Deadpool: "McAvoy or Stewart? These alternate timelines are confusing..."

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 11, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Being at a party with a bunch of people who can't stop raving about the Deadpool movie doesn't sound like a party at all.

Why are you so angry about if people like this movie or not? Did Deadpool bang your mom and then leave or something? Get over it - we're all allowed to like whatever we want, whether you like it or not.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm glad this is looking good in all the ways I was anticipating but couldn't articulate beforehand, the leaked script was hilarious and I never ever believed it was actually gonna happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Firstborn posted:

Ajax's...... gimmick also becomes tired

I did like the payoff to all that though - Deadpool lining up all the dead henchmen bodies to spell out his name, including one dude with his rear end out.

Fruitsniffer
Feb 1, 2016

What a great day to be trash!
Went into the movie expecting a lot and yet my expectations were greatly exceeded. A lot of funny scenes, yet also a lot of dark scenes. The contrast between the two was pretty amazing.
I do agree with the people saying that the "What's my name"-gimmick gets slightly old after a while though.

I was a bit scared at first that they won't be able to portray Deadpool as the character he is but they managed to pull that off fairly well.

Overall, I'm happy with the movie and definitely don't regret watching it. I'll have to watch the German dub with a friend on Saturday. Let's hope it's not as bad as I expect it to be.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Saw it last night. Really thought it turned out well. Flawed in a lot of ways, but I just feel that this is a movie that is so easy to do really poorly that it's amazing it turned out well and deserves something for that.

Can someone explain "chimi-loving-changas" though I really don't understand. I'm from Australia, are these a Canadian thing or American thing or a comic thing?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teacup posted:

Can someone explain "chimi-loving-changas" though I really don't understand. I'm from Australia, are these a Canadian thing or American thing or a comic thing?

You don't know what a chimichanga is? It's a deep-fried burrito.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

teacup posted:

Saw it last night. Really thought it turned out well. Flawed in a lot of ways, but I just feel that this is a movie that is so easy to do really poorly that it's amazing it turned out well and deserves something for that.

For Australians : Chimichanga's are basically a Mexican Chico Roll, sometimes with Chicken in it (Unlike Chico Rolls, which were originally called Chicken Rolls, which have never contained any Chicken in them at all)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I reread the 2010 leaked script for the movie for the sake of writing an article about it. The things that really stick out:

- All the dialogued is punched up considerably, which is the point of rewrites, but there are some really bad jokes and one-liners that thankfully got cut. Also a handful of characters got removed, either for being unnecessary or for budget reasons.

- Speaking of budget, a lot of the action sequences got cut down a bunch from the original descriptions.

- While Vanessa is 2-dimensional in the movie, she's completely 1-dimensional in the script. As much criticism as she gets in the final product, it's still head and shoulders above the original.

- There is a very dated and very cringeworthy subplot/running gag about how Amy Winehouse is virtually unkillable. Then the final post-credits scene has her get hit by a bus while Deadpool remarks, "And you thought she'd die from an overdose." Cripes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gavok posted:

- There is a very dated and very cringeworthy subplot/running gag about how Amy Winehouse is virtually unkillable. Then the final post-credits scene has her get hit by a bus while Deadpool remarks, "And you thought she'd die from an overdose." Cripes.

Should have kept it in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was written in 2010.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Okay, so the skinny I've gotten on the film is that it has :doink: RAPE JOKES :doink: and I'd just like an explanation as to how accurate that is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Okay, so the skinny I've gotten on the film is that it has :doink: RAPE JOKES :doink: and I'd just like an explanation as to how accurate that is.

Perfect username/post combo.

I mean, yeah, I guess. There's a bit of dialogue early on where Wade and Vanessa talk about their rough childhoods and it becomes more of a tongue-in-cheek game of one-upping each other. Like "You got molested by your uncle? I got molested by three of them!"

Otherwise there's that "prom sex" joke from the trailer if that counts. Can't think of any other instances.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Deadpool stacks three human beings on a sword like shish kabab but god forbid he makes a rape joke.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's rated R but I don't think he makes any jokes which I think are really horrible, more just like vulgar humour and swearing. Ironically this movie is pretty good towards women in general?

Also, spoilers for the setting of the end it looks like a wrecked or building helicarrier from avengers, is this right or am I just putting it there because it looks kinda similar. Anyone else see this?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I just saw the movie. It's good!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You got it. (teacup)

Also for content I think the sequel is going to be better. At the base of this film is a boring revenge tale and I think the dialogue elevates it. Give Deadpool a real mission. That he fucks up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't believe, based on the awful trailer, that I'm about to say this. But, probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Like top 5 funny.

The gently caress just happened?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I can't believe, based on the awful trailer, that I'm about to say this. But, probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Like top 5 funny.

Deadpool don give it to ya.

I knew this movie would be good. I knew it.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Yeah, the trailer looked awful and unfunny to me and I had really low expectations going in. But I really ended up enjoying it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was such a good movie. They did a great job of making Deadpool likable, which can be a difficult thing.

And one of my favorite moments was the appearance of Bob. I hope Bob gets a job with the next group of henchmen in the next film but gets to help Deadpool next time.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm getting seriously excited to see this. Ryan Reynolds is just a charming dude in general it seems. It'll be nice to have a little TJ Miller time in between silicon valley seasons too.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yeah this movie turned out...excellent. Not just in a 'better than I expected, whatever that's worth' way. Most of the jokes landed, action was great.

Like I don't even have any complaints here, and I'm trying. poo poo was funny and fun to watch. Gonna see it again probably.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Colossus' trainee, is she a character from the comics? (Haven't read in a while) - I really liked the way she was handled/written and her dynamic with Deadpool.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"Weird that you two are the only ones I see at the mansion. Guess the studio didn't have the money for another X-Man."

Oh, and not cool, Gina Carano. Dude was being nice enough to you to protect your titty dignity, that's just rude.

And I know it'll never happen, but I want to see Colossus fight the Hulk. "Calm down, friend! You are just upset! Zis will pass!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 12, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Colossus' trainee, is she a character from the comics? (Haven't read in a while) - I really liked the way she was handled/written and her dynamic with Deadpool.
Yeah she's a Grant Morrison creation made probably because he liked Monster Magnet

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tom Gorman posted:

Yeah this movie turned out...excellent. Not just in a 'better than I expected, whatever that's worth' way. Most of the jokes landed, action was great.

Like I don't even have any complaints here, and I'm trying. poo poo was funny and fun to watch. Gonna see it again probably.

I really hate being advertised at. I have a strong gut reaction of hating anything with this kind of media blitz. And I downright loathed the trailer. In the posters thread I poo poo all over everything about this god drat movie.

But then reviews came in and people I respect GUSHED over it.

I left the theater with my jaw hurting and I earnestly laughed out loud dozens of times. I can't imagine a wider gap between expectations and results. I wanted to hate this and make fun of "lol purple monkey cheese" dogshit jokes. But this was loving expertly crafted.

God drat, it was really loving funny.

And the International Women's Day joke was amazing to witness. There were like 100 women laughing their asses off and maybe 6 dudes, and this palpable uncomfortable silence from the majority men.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Was not expecting Deadpool to be even nearly this good. Action comedy is the best genre

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Goddamn you guys stop getting my so hyped up to see this movie.

Tomorrow is gonna be a long, long day at work now :negative:

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

And the International Women's Day joke was amazing to witness. There were like 100 women laughing their asses off and maybe 6 dudes, and this palpable uncomfortable silence from the majority men.

I was absolutely killed by the "Happy Lent" cut right after that. That + "Stewart or McAvoy?" + Hugh Jackman mask were the top three jokes that had me rolling out of my seat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The only thing she really has in common with her character from the comics is the name. Otherwise she might as well be an original character.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Toad King posted:

Hugh Jackman mask

Until the reveal, I thought it was a "oh poo poo his face split open down the middle and even an R rating won't protect from that :stare:" moment.

Oh, and three words: creepy baby hand

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 12, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Betty White weighs in on the debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UgcMrhW3c

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gavok posted:

I reread the 2010 leaked script for the movie for the sake of writing an article about it. The things that really stick out:

- All the dialogued is punched up considerably, which is the point of rewrites, but there are some really bad jokes and one-liners that thankfully got cut. Also a handful of characters got removed, either for being unnecessary or for budget reasons.

- Speaking of budget, a lot of the action sequences got cut down a bunch from the original descriptions.

- While Vanessa is 2-dimensional in the movie, she's completely 1-dimensional in the script. As much criticism as she gets in the final product, it's still head and shoulders above the original.

Words getting around the budget got cut by like $8m just before shooting started.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Duggler posted:

Was not expecting Deadpool to be even nearly this good. Action comedy is the best genre

Really glad to see a bunch of positive reviews so far. I like Deadpool a lot but he's easy to wreck with lame monkeycheese writing and all the trailers I saw gave me that vibe. Especially one I actually just now saw that includes a bit where Deadpool looks right at the camera and says 'hey, I bet you were expecting a super hero movie but here I am stabbing a guy...well this ISN'T LIKE OTHER SUPER HERO MOVIES' and I think I gagged just a bit.

Probably gonna see it this weekend!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I CALLED IT. I loving CALLED IT.

I knew this movie was gonna be way more rad than the trailers depicted, but none of you fuckers believed me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I CALLED IT. I loving CALLED IT.

I knew this movie was gonna be way more rad than the trailers depicted, but none of you fuckers believed me.
Well what's there to believe when the only footage of a movie you see before it comes out is painfully unfunny?

I'm hearing a bunch of people say it was better than they thought, though, so my interest has risen from "I'm definitely never going to see this piece of poo poo." to "I might rent this in a few months and see whether or not it actually is a piece of poo poo."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This was really good and far, far better then I thought a Deadpool movie could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

The only thing she really has in common with her character from the comics is the name. Otherwise she might as well be an original character.

Which is funny in its own way because that's what happened with movie Deadpool in the first place.

Still, Negasonic is closest to Cannonball.

• Locked thread