Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Kay, if we're just gonna name meatheads that could pull off Cable, I nominate Henry Rollins.

His demeanor sells it, he's got the hair, the jaw, the body, there's no reason not to go for him.

Personally, I wish that the plot would be that Cable and Deadpool have to team up to stop a rogue alternate Cable. It's explained due to the X-Men's time fuckery, two alternate Cables who look fairly different and sound nothing alike were forced into one reality. And one vowed to get vengeance, maybe also to kill the other Cable for tenuous reasons. So thus, I'm allowed to have both Henry and Ron Perlman both play Cable in the same movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Kay, if we're just gonna name meatheads that could pull off Cable, I nominate Henry Rollins.

His demeanor sells it, he's got the hair, the jaw, the body, there's no reason not to go for him.

Personally, I wish that the plot would be that Cable and Deadpool have to team up to stop a rogue alternate Cable. It's explained due to the X-Men's time fuckery, two alternate Cables who look fairly different and sound nothing alike were forced into one reality. And one vowed to get vengeance, maybe also to kill the other Cable for tenuous reasons. So thus, I'm allowed to have both Henry and Ron Perlman both play Cable in the same movie.

Get Keira Knightly as the third Cabel and you've got yourself the best movie ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Sold.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Seeing as we're talking about dream Cable casting, is anyone talking about Dolph Lungdren for Cable? He'd be dirt cheap, good fodder for 80's throwback stuff and certainly looks the part. And seeing as it's an R18+, we could finally have what Always Sunny was hoping for.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

well why not posted:

Seeing as we're talking about dream Cable casting, is anyone talking about Dolph Lungdren for Cable? He'd be dirt cheap, good fodder for 80's throwback stuff and certainly looks the part. And seeing as it's an R18+, we could finally have what Always Sunny was hoping for.

Dolph Lungdren has been taking about it!

I like the Rollins idea though. Have to dip his arms in latex or whatever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BizarroAzrael posted:

If Ryan Reynolds rang him up and said "We want to hire you for a role but you have to get absolutely huge, we'll pay you to do nothing else but work out for the next 6 months" that would be Hank's idea of heaven.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dolph Lungdren has been taking about it!

Only one of them. Bonus!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I'd be okay with Cable's non-metal arm being covered in tattoos if they cast Rollins? Hell, add more than Rollins actually has, even.

(That said, I'm honestly a little torn between Rollins and Dolph, I'd be 100% okay with either option)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's reeeeally easy for the makeup artists to hide the tattoos, happens all the time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I'd be okay with Cable's non-metal arm being covered in tattoos if they cast Rollins? Hell, add more than Rollins actually has, even.

(That said, I'm honestly a little torn between Rollins and Dolph, I'd be 100% okay with either option)

I'd prefer that they kept Rollin's tattoos on both. They can be engraved in the metal one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

I'd prefer that they kept Rollin's tattoos on both. They can be engraved in the metal one.

That would be incredible, but I don't think they'd do it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hardcore punk got a timely revival in the bleak postapocalyptic future.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Rogue alternate Cable is called Stryfe and his costume deserves the most faithful treatment:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The future needs tampons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Henry Rollins can actually semi act, but the only roll he can play is apathetic rear end in a top hat grump guy. So I mean he pretty much has Cable down pact. Watch He Never Died because that's basically him playing Cable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hollismason posted:

Henry Rollins can actually semi act, but the only roll he can play is apathetic rear end in a top hat grump guy. So I mean he pretty much has Cable down pact. Watch He Never Died because that's basically him playing Cable.

He'd be a fine pick aside from his slight lisp.
Dolf also has that accent to contend with.
But it's not a serious movie at all so gently caress it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'd say he has two roles: Barely held together ball of rage doing all he can to try and keep from snapping (He Never Died), and a completely off the chain madman shouting everything (Mad Stan, every day of his life).

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
If Cable's in the movie, I hope he has tons of pouches. Deadpool could make a comment like "Do you keep granola bars in your pouches?" while Cable starts to freak about Apocalypse for the billionth time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Yossarian posted:

If Cable's in the movie, I hope he has tons of pouches. Deadpool could make a comment like "Do you keep granola bars in your pouches?" while Cable starts to freak about Apocalypse for the billionth time.

Deadpool breaks it to him "Yeah... the team with the budget beat him like a year and a half ago. Middling reviews, they'll probably call me up next time." Like the entire purpose of the movie is subverted within minutes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I look forward to the first scene where Deadpool is brought before Apocalypse:

"Who talks first? Do I talk first?"
"Shut up!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a pity that Apocalypse is set in the 80s, otherwise they could have Deadpool 2 set during X-Men: Apocalypse. Always just out of sight in the background.

"Are you kidding? I'm not going near the main cast. Have you see the rate they go through secondary characters in those movies?"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 31, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No way they could do that with noted time traveller Nathan Dayspring Askani'Son Summers.

Just imagine movie Deadpool's sheer joy over getting to go to the 80s.

e: Cable and Quicksilver competing for Most Awkward Dad Moment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh goddamn, a Deadpool equivalent of Back To The Future 2 would be amazing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

No way they could do that with noted time traveller Nathan Dayspring Askani'Son Summers.

Just imagine movie Deadpool's sheer joy over getting to go to the 80s.

Oh my god yes. Cable accidentally picking up Deadpool on his way back to X-Men: Apocalypse, and Deadpool loving up him joining in the fight.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god yes. Cable accidentally picking up Deadpool on his way back to X-Men: Apocalypse, and Deadpool loving up him joining in the fight.

I never knew how much I wanted this. :magical:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

MikeJF posted:

At this point, the Cable actor switching begins.

Post credits, Deadpool and all Cables are gathered around a giant diagram trying to sort out what just happened. The entire thing is in crayon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"Nathan and Wade are Dead"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fish Noise posted:

Post credits, Deadpool and all Cables are gathered around a giant diagram trying to sort out what just happened. The entire thing is in crayon.

Every time Deadpool fucks it up for him, jumps back to the start of Apocalypse again, dragging Deadpool with him. So we see the version with one Cable&Deadpool, two, three... then we skip a few and have ten.

Also, Deadpool is one hundred percent aware that Movie Logic says only one of the hims will survive to the end and go home, and each is trying to sneakily make sure it's him. By the time ten of them appear, it just degrades immediately into a fight to the death.

Comes down to two, but they agree that maybe because this is a comedy, two of them can live, and they go to ask Monica for a threesome.

Very end of movie is one of the two being killed by a gratuitous Wolverine cameo.

Right, that's Deadpool 2 written.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They should make Deadpool 2 about the making of Deadpool 2.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DP2 is going to be impossible to write if this thread is any indication. Every dumb idea just works and sounds like it'd be really fun. The idea board will be the inside wall of an airplane hangar

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like it to have the structure, tone and actors of Collateral.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are really pushing for this zany 'meta' stuff in the sequel, when the actual Deadpool film is actually extremely straightforward.

There are really just two central jokes: Wilson making sense of his transformation with a series of teen-girl puberty metaphors, and Wilson making sense of his status as "Super-Slave" by imagining himself as an exploited IP. (The two jokes are united, mainly, by the characterization of 'Agent Smith' (read: Coulson) as a pedophile after Wilson's body.]

I don't think anyone has noted that the opening fx shot / fake credits sequence is a microcosmic summary of the entire film - the virtual camera moving from Rob Liefeld's credit, to Ryan Reynolds, to Ryan Reynolds in a superhero costume.... There are little beats specifically standing in for the strip club scene, and the firey explosion at the end, and so on.

The chronology here is important, because this scene is happening first. The point is that the whole film is a metaphorical CGI car wreck and, more importantly, that we've got an unreliable narrator who is creating half the narrative to justify the attack. Wilson saw this People magazine, and cast Reynolds as himself in his own imagination.

Deadpool's success is that it's fairly legit sci-fi about an immortal monster.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point is that the whole film is a metaphorical CGI car wreck

Can u elaborate on this?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Fish Noise posted:

some cables, some nate greys, and some rachel summers'

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can u elaborate on this?

Well, for starters, the shot is a fairly direct reference to the CG wastebasket in Fight Club In the context of that film, it's a bit of a hyperreal fantasy sequence where the narrator imagines a spaceship exploring a discarded Starbucks cup:

"When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything: the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks."

So, straightforwardly, you have this metaphor of a corporate garbage universe, and that's pretty much what Deadpool offers with its vision of the X-Men franchise as a luxury SUV that's been lit on fire. Again, the camera is a spaceship traveling through this debris and trying to make sense of what happened.

Every joke in Deadpool begins with some seriousness. Like when Rhonda Rousey has a nip-slip, that's the same spot in her shirt where she stores her box of matches (matches that, pointedly, she never lights). It's part of the whole 'fire as metaphor for female sexuality' theme that runs through the film (e.g. the prom-sex joke, the throwaway line where the teen girl wants to murder her stepdad...). Once Rousey frees the nipple, stepdad-figure Colossus is rendered powerless while TNW suddenly explodes, overwhelming them both.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Every joke in Deadpool begins with some seriousness. Like when Rhonda Rousey has a nip-slip, that's the same spot in her shirt where she stores her box of matches (matches that, pointedly, she never lights). It's part of the whole 'fire as metaphor for female sexuality' theme that runs through the film (e.g. the prom-sex joke, the throwaway line where the teen girl wants to murder her stepdad...). Once Rousey frees the nipple, stepdad-figure Colossus is rendered powerless while TNW suddenly explodes, overwhelming them both.
That's not Rhonda Rousey. Angel Dust is Gina Carano.

But kudos on the unbridled film-school level symbolism-wank.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SMG breathing life into this thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I watched this movie the other night. I enjoyed it. I look forward to a sequel or two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

flosofl posted:

But kudos on the unbridled film-school level symbolism-wank.

You must be new to CD. Meet SMG.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's always weird when it's the straightforward SMG posts that people poo poo on the hardest. None of that was particularly wacky or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

flosofl posted:

kudos on the unbridled film-school level symbolism-wank.

Thanks; symbolism-wanking is what Deadpool is all about. (Like, he literally jacks off a unicorn two or three times over the course of the film.)

Hence the character literally saying 'gently caress you' to God while spraying blood from his slit wrist into God's face, while joking about menstruation. In case you missed it, he'll tell a second joke about his arm going through puberty - as part of a larger series of gags about how he can't wear white anymore, since these periodic injuries leave embarrassing stains.

Femininity in the film is associated with blood and fire, while the villainous Ajax is named after a laundry detergent and, in one scene, wields a fire extinguisher as a weapon. (Wilson, naturally, wields an explosive oxygen tank).

Sorry to say, but you got tricked into watching an art film about vaginas.

• Locked thread