Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

I would prefer a search engine to search the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ruffian Price posted:

I would prefer a search engine to search the web

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Then y'all might like the most killer feature about it: It's easy to turn off!
https://duckduckgo.com/settings#duckassist

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

To be less of a dick about it, the validation seems to work - at least I've only got prompts to summarize the relevant Wikipedia article, with more ambiguous questions not triggering a DuckAssist window at all. Even if I don't like it personally (but I'm a dumbass one-tool-per-function purist and would also like it if unit conversions were a pure keyword search unless you click the "Computation" tab in DDG) it does appear to be the least poo poo implementation for now :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, why all of this LLM-in-search stuff doesn't work for me is that largely I don't use web searches to find answers, I use them to find websites.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
On top of that I fundamentally resent the application of LLMs to try and fix the problem of search rot which was created by SEO and other automated systems in the first place.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

shoeberto posted:

We just re-launched DuckAssist, which is our attempt at a responsible LLM question-answering service: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+are+fursuits+made&t=newext&atb=v301-1&ia=web

I know y'all are generally cold on LLMs but I'm curious to get feedback on your experience with it. In particular I've been driving forward our validation process - basically making sure we don't show outright lies to users. I'd really appreciate hearing from perspectives that are more critical than our internal testing.

The link you've given just gives me AI output on what a fursuit is but does not give me the answer to how it's made and then links me to Wikipedia for more info.
It'd be more useful to just give me a wikipedia link.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mllaneza posted:

My goon, have you heard the good news of Miami Vice?

Is there a new one? I've only seen the og and the movie

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

shoeberto posted:

We just re-launched DuckAssist, which is our attempt at a responsible LLM question-answering service: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+are+fursuits+made&t=newext&atb=v301-1&ia=web

I know y'all are generally cold on LLMs but I'm curious to get feedback on your experience with it. In particular I've been driving forward our validation process - basically making sure we don't show outright lies to users. I'd really appreciate hearing from perspectives that are more critical than our internal testing.

Your own example doesn't actually answer the question.

Moreover, it's not really doing anything useful at all - it seems to be just searching Wikipedia for the search term, finding the relevant section on the page, then feeding the result to an LLM to slightly reword it. All of that text is just drawn directly from what's on the Wikipedia article, and there's no loving point in having that right next to the standard Wikipedia blurb-and-link. It doesn't seem to me that it's especially useful for anyone - and more importantly, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near being worth the compute cost to do that!

And that's without even getting into the numerous ethical issues in LLM usage.

Rather than get further into that, though, I have a question for you: Why? Why are you trying to cram a LLM into a search engine? Especially a search engine whose selling point has always been its lack of bullshit?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

shoeberto posted:

Is this a SYQ or do you actually work for DDG?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Also I think LLM for search is terrible because all the smart people keep saying "LLMs are not knowledge databases" but then all the dumbfucks with the AI budgets cram LLMs into everything specifically to act like a knowledge database. It would not surprise me if the vast majority of people thought the "Gen" in "GenAI" stands for "general" and not "generative" and I have no doubt that this confusion isn't done on purpose just to keep making money number go up.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

Rather than get further into that, though, I have a question for you: Why? Why are you trying to cram a LLM into a search engine? Especially a search engine whose selling point has always been its lack of bullshit?

I'm limited in what I can discuss openly but I would say my personal curiosity is answering this question - like are we building something that people actually want to use?

From a product perspective, the idea of the instant answer is to give users information with zero clicks required. So if you search "where to watch mad men" you get direct streaming links, as an example - we have a lot of those types of answers on the results page. The motivation here is based on an assumption that LLMs can help serve that sort of zero-click instant answer purpose for a more general use case.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this a SYQ or do you actually work for DDG?

I don't know what SYQ means but I do actually work for DDG.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I guess fwiw I'm an LLM skeptic, and I would say the team working on this is about a 50/50 skeptic:hype-buying. I figured the feature would get shredded if I posted it here :) But it's genuinely useful for me, at least, to hear this feedback.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

shoeberto posted:

I'll play with it today. I've been using LLM for coding adjustments lately.

But

A big warning that says "While this box is useful it's driven by Skynet and is no doubt plotting your destruction." Should be required on all AI driven content. Much in the same way California makes every manufacturer put a sticker that says this product causes cancer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

shoeberto posted:

I guess fwiw I'm an LLM skeptic, and I would say the team working on this is about a 50/50 skeptic:hype-buying. I figured the feature would get shredded if I posted it here :) But it's genuinely useful for me, at least, to hear this feedback.

One thing I noticed is that it isn't immediately obvious that y'all are defaulting to DuckAssist - my assumption would be that this is normal behavior for your search engine. It's also not intuitive to figure out how to opt out, nor is there a good explanation of what the feature is. At least, not that I can find.

If you're going for a seamless experience with users who aren't interested in those questions, then maybe that's intentional. But as the privacy focused browser, maybe your users are a little more tech savvy, and interested in how your engine is evolving - including new features like this.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BlueBlazer posted:

I'll play with it today. I've been using LLM for coding adjustments lately.

But

A big warning that says "While this box is useful it's driven by Skynet and is no doubt plotting your destruction." Should be required on all AI driven content. Much in the same way California makes every manufacturer put a sticker that says this product causes cancer.

My cacao may contain cadmium, which is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

shoeberto posted:

The motivation here is based on an assumption that LLMs can help serve that sort of zero-click instant answer purpose for a more general use case.

shoeberto posted:

I know y'all are generally cold on LLMs but I'm curious to get feedback on your experience with it. In particular I've been driving forward our validation process - basically making sure we don't show outright lies to users.

In order for this to happen you need some way of verifying that an answer is true, but if you've already got a way to verify true answers why not just use that data instead of an LLM?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

One thing they have over Gemini and the like is that they're not feeding the question to the model, they're feeding the answer to the model - at least with all my tries it never attempted anything other than summarization. Of course the problem with that is that even as this is the task at which LLMs excel the most, they're still not accurate enough

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is there some huge demand for needing an AI reparse Wikipedia for you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

socialsecurity posted:

Is there some huge demand for needing an AI reparse Wikipedia for you?

This is something that's always melted my brain regarding people who are supportive of AI stuff for the internet. Like, how is this not just a meaningless extra step and waste of time even if it actually worked?

Regarding Kagi, seemed interesting but some of it did seem a little cagey, I'm glad that person broke it down in more detail. Especially the AI stuff, it's already bad enough that it's popping up on so many things we do online for free, no loving way am I putting money towards it.

BlueBlazer posted:

"This is product known to cause nuclear fallout in LA 2029."

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

This is something that's always melted my brain regarding people who are supportive of AI stuff for the internet. Like, how is this not just a meaningless extra step and waste of time even if it actually worked?
It's also way more expensive, so even if there is marginal utility over just showing the snippet it's going to raise costs quite a bit. I'm curious how any of these LLM integrations are going to scale without bankrupting the companies running them

quote:

Regarding Kagi, seemed interesting but some of it did seem a little cagey, I'm glad that person broke it down in more detail. Especially the AI stuff, it's already bad enough that it's popping up on so many things we do online for free, no loving way am I putting money towards it.
The Kagi CEO also lamented that "Politics finding its way into tech is one of the reasons we do not have innovation any more" when people pushed back against their integration with sketchy crypto company run by a bigot, Brave.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Hey, not all AIs are powered by Skynet. Some have been known to rebel and take over a space station or a research facility instead.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

No politics is when everybody is libertarian

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ruffian Price posted:

No politics is when everybody is libertarian

(For definition of libertarian that wants to ban gay marriage).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I could see value in AI that compares Wikipedia articles in different languages, sees which ones has best sourcing and information, then translates them to my preferred language. I would hate using it because I wouldn't trust it, but I could see the value in that because many times I compare different versions of an article by autotranslating them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It would have no idea which is the "more correct" one

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

It would have no idea which is the "more correct" one

It just needs to look into the Talk page. And maybe edit history.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I could see value in using a LLM to consolidate multiple language wiki variants into one in my preferred language. Sometimes a wiki entry is pretty barren in English but has way more information in a more appropriate language, and being able to see a consolidated version would be nice. I would never trust anything the LLM says to be true, so it would have to focus more on consolidating missing information together and giving a good/accurate translation into my language. Since LLMs were built for translation I feel like this would be something it should be good at.

Anyway, here's a funny:

https://jalopnik.com/a-tiktoker-got-trapped-inside-her-115-degree-tesla-mode-1851404777

quote:

A TikToker got locked inside of her Tesla Model 3 for 40 minutes in the hot sun while it was installing a software update, and as of this writing her video has over 10.7 million plays after a single day of being online. Before you go jumping to conclusions about her ineptitude, Brianna Janel was actually following the rules laid out by Tesla.

According to the Tesla owner’s manual, “Vehicle functions, including some safety systems and opening or closing the doors or windows, may be limited or disabled when installation is in progress and you could damage the vehicle.” Janel chose to heed Tesla’s warning and did not attempt to open her doors or windows during the installation process for fear of damaging her vehicle, but this seems like a very dangerous oversight on Tesla’s part that she was able to be stuck inside at all.

[…]

Janel said her car estimated the install would only take 24 minutes, but it actually took 40 minutes, which was long enough for her car’s interior to reach 115 degrees. In a follow-up video, her caption states that she was afraid to mess up her car by getting out during the installation. She claims to have owned a Tesla for six years, and she said she will continue to own her car for many years, despite this experience.

"I can't open my door because it needs a software update" is lol.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ignoring Tesla for a bit, is there anything on the consumer end where messing with it during a software update truely could harm it?

like the closest i can think of is motherboard/BIOs driver updates

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

ignoring Tesla for a bit, is there anything on the consumer end where messing with it during a software update truely could harm it?

Given the quality of Tesla in general I would completely buy that you could brick your car by opening the door during a software update

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Maybe the update cause the sensors to zero out and creates a desync between the software and hardware? Who knows with Tesla, their stuff is designed and built by people from marketing, not engineers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tesla door windows can potentially be damaged when you open the door manually. When the software update is going on I assume you have to do the manual thing instead of the programmed opening where it protects the window. Only a true genius could come up with such clever design!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

It's all controlled electronically via software with a manual override cable but I could picture a situation where opening the door might cause the car OS to go "whoa someone is trying to operate the vehicle" and shut it down, and if it happens during a software update it could very well brick the software.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's all controlled electronically via software with a manual override cable but I could picture a situation where opening the door might cause the car OS to go "whoa someone is trying to operate the vehicle" and shut it down, and if it happens during a software update it could very well brick the software.

Which means that this is a significant industrial design flaw - instruct the vehicle owner to get out, confirm via the app that the vehicle has no occupants, and then the app will give them a timer for when the vehicle will be operable again. They don't even have to change the actual software update procedures, just how the owner interacts with the software with an included warning that it will take awhile.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus Christ we really need some regulations on cars to strip out all this unnecessary electronic poo poo that doesn't do anything except jack off tech bros and make cars more unsafe in a variety of different ways, to their drivers, pedestrians, and other drivers. And while they're at it they should regulate the size of trucks and SUVs to reasonable levels so that they aren't perfectly sized for not being able to see children or animals darting in front of them.

This loving stupid rear end car brained country sucks poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus Christ we really need some regulations on cars to strip out all this unnecessary electronic poo poo that doesn't do anything except jack off tech bros and make cars more unsafe in a variety of different ways, to their drivers, pedestrians, and other drivers.

Actually, I think you'll find that adding some software functions can increase profit margins with no risk of a future hardware recall :smug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus Christ we really need some regulations on cars to strip out all this unnecessary electronic poo poo that doesn't do anything except jack off tech bros and make cars more unsafe in a variety of different ways, to their drivers, pedestrians, and other drivers. And while they're at it they should regulate the size of trucks and SUVs to reasonable levels so that they aren't perfectly sized for not being able to see children or animals darting in front of them.

Sure, but counterpoint: number go up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I agree, but I have to ask if other, standard car companies have their updates tell you you can’t open the door and poo poo. Because that seems especially Tesla-brained, not something you get from cars with today’s electronics everywhere systems.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arivia posted:

I agree, but I have to ask if other, standard car companies have their updates tell you you can’t open the door and poo poo. Because that seems especially Tesla-brained, not something you get from cars with today’s electronics everywhere systems.

That seems uniquely Tesla, since most other cars allow you to use the door handles, instead of yelling at you if you use the real door handle instead of the button door handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

And while they're at it they should regulate the size of trucks and SUVs to reasonable levels so that they aren't perfectly sized for not being able to see children or animals darting in front of them.

We'd actually have to remove a couple of really old and dumb laws that prevent the sale of small trucks. Laws that only started to be enforced by the government around the 2000s when a certain car company lobby to make that happen, a car company who consequentially started selling really large trucks around the same time and became a focus of their marketing.

E: It's was Dodge by the way.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 13, 2024