Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It really does something to your worldview the first time you realise that almost all high finance and investment stuff is just people frantically grifting each other and trying to get out before anyone notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

my recent captcha craziness was it asking me for ANIMAL doing THING.

like select all dogs yawning, or lions with its eyes closed. i thing I got a click bait youtube video about the current 2022 "meta" for captchas that had even crazier ones.

like literally playing a warioware mini game levels of crazy.

I saw that video I think - it wasn't clickbait. It was a little video essay about the history of captchas. I think the example that prompted the video was 'click on the horse made of clouds'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dimmable lights that can change colour are an absolute godsend for my eye problems but I admit that's a fairly small subset of the population. Still. Love em.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I'm betting it's purely for the benefit of Musk's own ego. He still likes to pretend he's a real-life Tony Stark who actually has a deep understanding of the actual technologies involved. So now he'll have a parade of developers in and out of his office, each trying their damnedest to give this idiot the vaguest understanding of unrelated code snippets in the span of ten minuts. All so that when he gets a high-level presentation about feature X in the future, he can nod sagely and go "Ah yes, I've seen the code for that", while everybody rolls their eyes and sighs in exasperation.

Yeah, I'm sure this is what it is. Looking at code and having opinions about it makes him feel smart, so that's what he decided to do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a goon Mastadon server?

There prooobably isn't going to be an official SA one or anything. It gets discussed sometimes in the mod/admin forums but nobody thinks it's a particularly good idea.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also there is absolutely no way to know if a technology currently coming into existence is going to be good or bad. Antibiotics are good, *right now* and have saved millions of lives but we don't know if they will turn out to be good in the very long term, like say their use causes the rise of superbugs that can't be cured or beaten back with anything at all. Every technology is like this and it's overly simplistic to say 'life is better because of X' or 'life is worse because of X'. Long term effects are totally invisible at our ground level.

e: which is to say all you can do is make a judgment about a technology at your current level. I hate the rise of this fake AI poo poo. I think it's bad for all the reasons already articulated in this thread. I can't think longer-term, because I don't know what the long-term results will look like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I wonder what the homeopathic treatment for dehydration is

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love my SE, I hope it never dies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i made an extreamly hosed up eleven lab voice AI of trump talking about poneys, its uhh, not safe for here or life. ask and ill pm maybe

:catstare:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/TriciaLockwood/status/1108102037072433153

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can't believe all this awful neglect of my first games machine ever, the ZX Spectrum. We had a +2 which had the cassette player *built in* so you didn't even have to attach your own!

R: Tape Loading Error , 0:1

Those were the days

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Just in case you feel nostalgic enough to share footage of that:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, post a gif of that thing in action.
It WILL give me a seizure. I know this from experience.

God yeah I bet it would, I never thought of that. I wasn't going to though, too lazy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like Firefox but yeah sometimes I open a youtube tab and I have to just do something else for a while. Not every time, just sometimes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fuckin Aperture Science poo poo going on here. Why give the AI access to the deadly neurotoxin at all?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Yup, I am lucky enough to be a very rare breed of fragile.

1 in 4000 of the world's population is photo-sensitive enough to get the fancy seizures. The migraines and nausea can be a lot more common though.

In all, 1 in 26 people will have 2 or more seizures sometime during their life. This is what signifies the official designation of being epileptic.

The tricky part here is that once your brain gets good at seizure having (and it will once you start getting them), the bar gets lower and lower for what constitutes a seizure.
In vast portions of the world, a situation like Walgreens having fancy flashing lights isn't an issue because the special brain issue having person can go to a different store, but in less developed countries like the US, a huge number of communities have a choice between one store or driving a couple of hours to go to a different store. Guess who can't legally drive for up to 6 months after having had a seizure.
As long as public transportation exists or people in general have the time and energy to drive a neighbor to a destination a couple of hours away just to help them go shopping, that isn't too big of a hurdle.

I recently found out that the prevalance of my weird eye condition is less than one in a million. Like winning an extremely poo poo lottery.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

On the upside, you get to be a patient of special interest to medical professionals.
On the downside, your condition is rare enough that medical practitioners don't know what the gently caress and might just spout bullshit to not appear clueless.

I got my DNA sequenced, that was fun! And I have lucked into a medical team who will cheerfully go 'we don't really know, there isn't the data' if they don't know something. So it could be worse I guess.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Your post makes it seem like Waymo is just putting its cars on the market for general release instead of being a part of many small and limited test periods and pilot programs that it is. Not much different to clinical trials of medicine prior release into the general use (clinical trials, especially mental medication - also put non-trial people at risk).

Like a clinical trial where a fellow goes weird and kills his workmate, the Waymo program was paused/stopped to look into why it happened etc. That the company was weird about it as you point out is definitely worthy of further scrutiny and sanction by the regulators.

You posted a list of anecdotal incidents that almost certainly have multiple equivalents every day with driver driven cars across the States. It is demonstrating that there is still work to be done to improve driverless cars even further and hence why they are not in general release. I expect they will get better. Bit like how Deep blue struggled to beat Kasparov in 1997 but now it is trivial for computers to beat the words best Chess and even Go players. The list for me mostly looks like punch list work, expected hiccups with commissioning anything new of the scale of what is being attempted.

And finally, the US is not the only place thinking about this. Driverless cars are legal in Shenzhen, China and roll outs through China will continue to advance the state of art as the automation is fine tuned to what is likely a more challenging driving environment. Maybe the US can ban development until it is demonstrated conclusively enough in real China use for all but the covid deniers. What will happen then is the rest of the world will buy Chinese tech and not US tech due to the lack of development of US versions.

Mental medication?!

e: Sorry - that was flippant. But I would like to see examples.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Volmarias posted:

This guy is searching for the exact string "brussel sprouts air fryer temperature time" which isn't helpful. He should be writing "brussel sprouts" "air fryer" temperature time

That was bothering me too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Even if it worked, the moving ads would only be eye-catching until they became commonplace and then we'd all stop noticing them just like we stopped noticing every other drat ad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is it accurate that the 'scrape the internet' style of training AI will falter as more of the internet is already written by AI, or is that just a hypothetical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

'understand'?

e: in response to 'generative AI that can understand what they see and hear'. I would like to select 'Doubt'