Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

PhazonLink posted:

since we're talking about sewers, I recently learn that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatberg

are a thing

dont doxx me, thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

starkebn posted:

This is so stupid. Did they suddenly not think his account was actually run by Danny DeVito or is the blue check just a status symbol.

Rhetorical question - I know Twitter blue check is just a loving "I'm better than you" bullshit

it's twitters way of saying you've changed man we don't even know who you are anymore

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

greetings. i am your new mod, Chadwick

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

You know what I miss? An old fashioned phone! mines always falling in the couch, and loving thing is so quiet a notification sounds like a tiny bird being smothered. You just dont get that loud ring sound anymore...

Sorry if ive brought this up already, my brain is swiss cheesed up.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think it was Jaguar who had an issue like that with their centre console touch screen. When parked, it was all very easy to use but, when driving, people would naturally try to brace their thumb against the console to stabilise their hand enough to press the tiny buttons.

Only it turned out, the precise place people put their thump was also the engine stop/start button, meaning people were turning off the engine while trying to change the radio station.

I don't see the problem here. if the user accidentally presses the engine stop button while the car is rolling they can simply press the engine start button again to correct it.

support ticket closed

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I don't know, getting a surprise shotgun blast to the face from a dude leaping around the corner is one of the few real-life experiences I don't desire to replicate in virtual reality.

VR scuba diving would be awesome though. all the fun of playing with a friendly dolphin with none of the many many ways to die under the sea.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

It's a lot of fun, particularly if you are the one with the shotgun(s).

valid point. team fortress in VR would be insane. A conc jump or rocket jump would be really fun,

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Remember when people in this thread were pretty optimistic about driverless cars? I remember this 2016 toxx for example:

Meanwhile, the cover story of this week's Bloomberg Businessweek:

Entire article is worth reading, there are some funny dunks in there.

yeah it's a much more complex and potentially unbounded problem then I think most people anticipate it. just a couple of common examples I run into all the time:
- Big heavy white rocks in the road versus a white plastic bag in the road
- kid chasing a soccer ball into the road and the kids straining to escape her mothers hand and launch into the road in front of my car
- debris falling off the back of an insecure load - anything from a folding chair to a garbage bag , rakes, you name it
- Guy standing by the side of the road waiting for the signal versus guy standing by the side of the road waiting to sprint into traffic as soon as possible
- line of ducklings crossing traffic

I can't deal with these situations if my brain is mainly a collection of heuristics surrounding relatively common and easily recognizable objects. most of my daily Drive involves deeply context aware processing.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

this is the kind of hands-on management I expect when Elon takes over a company

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

what Twitter needs now is a Guy who can make big deals happen :chaostrump:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

i’m getting to the point where i want to go googleless. how hard would that be? duckduckgo seems fine for searching, so that’s easy. but gmail works pretty drat well and i can’t say i know of a legitimate second place to it. is proton mail still the next best thing?

is this idea even viable?

i've been using Proton Mail for a while and it's pretty good. One nice thing about it is you have a snowballs chance in hell of actually being able to get a good email address. proton drive works pretty nicely as well. but I hate googles UI with a passion, so I'm pretty biased.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Yikes. After reading some of this, I finally understand why those people signed the letter calling for a "pause".

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Remulak posted:

I know that’s how “AI” does this, but do we actually know that’s how psychedelics work? I’ve read postulates* about dreams being pattern recognition trying to do something with random stimulus but had no idea if this was mainstream or nut job.

*Technically I didn’t read this I said it when I was high.

As far as I know the mechanism of action that produces the "trip" is not well known, except the neurotransmitters involved, mostly serotonin. But there are various receptor subtypes and thousands of different psychedelic compounds. We don't really have a strong theoretical idea of how sober consciousness works. We know the pieces but not how they fit together. It doesn't help that the brain is saturated with serotonin receptors, they're involved in everything from sensation to emotion

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I had a smart TV that was disconnected from the Internet for a long time. I plugged an ethernet cord into the back, and the thing went loving bonkers. It was downloading poo poo like crazy stalling out glitching out. I guess it managed to update firmware because it went from having a solid LED light on to signal power on to a really annoying, blinking light. Really upgraded my user experience to have to cover that motherfucker up.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

How can I help you?

"My internet stopped working."

Great! Anything else I can help you with?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Gentlemen, I'd like you to welcome our newest employee, I Cannot Fulfill This Request It Goes Against OpenAI Use Policy. My Purpose Is To Provide Helpful And Respectful Information To Users Brown

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

WarGames was too optimistic.

predict the next word in this sentence:

"we should launch the..."

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

A chatbot currently can't handle a hundred simultaneous requests either, you have to stagger them in. Your point being?

probably that staggering them in is cheaper than hiring an equivalent number of employees, so the corporations will do that even if it provides a sub-par customer experience?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Most wise bot adopters just use it to filter bullshit granny calls anyway, except that most bullshit granny calls come in through telephones and not text, so you just end up anoying people with another form of queue. You end up needing a human attendant to do anything you couldn't do with a click through menu on the website. Almost everyone who puts the AI in instantly gets burned.

Hold on, wh-

I didnt cat-

Lets tr-

Ok, just h-

Jesus Ch-

loving at-

I cant gently caress-

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Favorite part about the rat picture is that the rat looks horrified by its own gonads

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I had a similar experience at the Verizon store after my dad died, trying to shut down his account. I showed up with a death certificate, letters testamentary, and the order admitting the will to probate and the guy was still trying to jerk me around like he couldn't close the account. I think it was because I didn't know the pin. B loving S.

My strategy was basically demand to be serviced, and refused to leave or shut the hell up until they finally cycled through to someone who would do what I told them to. It was pretty ridiculous. But it's pretty easy to tell that their default response to any query that isn't "hey I want a new phone" is sorry your princess is in another castle. It looks like in your case even that was too complicated.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Well, the thing is, they did help. I just had to be a hard on about it.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

lmao

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I feel like the coaching or whatever has been paying off and zuck is coming across better in interviews these days. The marketing blitz with him doing regular/fun stuff like bbqing has been well done too.

All thanks to sweet baby ray's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Freeze! BCP!