Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yahoo's been hosed for quite a while now, I thought this was common knowledge. Of the others, GoPro and Dropbox at least have something they can charge people money for, even though the former gets more and more competition from China (I bought a Xiaomi Yi which is 90% as good at 1/3 of the price) and the latter can be replicated by any idiot with an S3 account. I still haven't figured out what the gently caress Square does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh ok, I remember seeing that and it kind of makes sense. I was probably confusing it withe the similarly sounding social thingy. So they might've been overvalued at IPO (whoa) but at least they have something going on there - unless the upcoming chip & pin is going to be impractical to implement, in which case they're hosed too, I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of this:

That image also makes me irrationally upset that my company not only gets stuck with a logo that was never made permanent, but is also in only one category despite having a strong position in multiple markets.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What if you don't have friends though?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'm gonna call it Adult Friend Finder or something like that, to make it clearer what it does.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah, because people with MBAs are hopefully trained to look for things like a sustainable business model or a profit margin.

Or "revenue" :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's how all consulting works because there's a shitload of overhead costs, this is hardly unique.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The GPU situation is going to get instantly better once Pascal and Polaris are available in the next couple of months, and cards one or two levels below 970 can match it in performance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Amazon's services are effectively B2B, while Dropbox is targeting end-users. Still, nothing preventing Amazon or Google from demolishing their business overnight, of course.

Pebble is laying off 25% of employees (Which is 40 people, but still). Apparently the funding is drying up and the watch thing didn't exactly take off. Most other smartwatch companies in the market are established diversified operations so probably nothing much to worry about for them.

born on a buy you posted:

(Pinterest is the only one that makes a profit)
How? Isn't that a lovely site where your first action is hitting the back button?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 25, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unilever has bought US start-up Dollar Shave Club for a reported $1bn (£764m) in cash to compete in the male grooming market. (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36791928)

Negative profit and only $150m annual revenue with a pending lawsuit from Gillette? Sure, why not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

I always wondered how they can really deliver shaving supplies that cheaply.

If men are really interested in getting a good shave really cheap, they'll just get into wet shaving and buy the same, very affordable products over and over again.

They probably can't, which is why they're losing money like most other idiotic startups. By the way, are they the assholes from all the annoying podcast ads? I hope the fat stack of Unilever cash will get them to move them to Superbowl or somewhere else where I don't have to hear or see them.

It's probably not literal cash, just actual money as opposed to stock. Though I do wish all corporate acquisitions were done by delivering huge pallets of Benjamins :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm waiting for one of the major ISPs in the US to offer router or network-level ad blocking as an optional (paid) service.

You mean ad injecting as a free service, right? That's been done already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that just ignorance or one of those "I totally need those monster condoms for my magnum dong" things?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting this from KS thread:

mobby_6kl posted:

Skully is dead! After collecting a cool $2.5m on igg and apparently failing to deliver anything, they're closing shop ASAP. It actually seemed like a pretty reasonable product, by igg standards, but was probably mismanaged horribly. Still it's weird that none of the established helmet manufacturers wanted to pick them up for cheap, it seems inevitable that AR/HUD helmets would be a thing eventually. Maybe their tech was poo poo/non-existing, who knows.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/07/26/2123201/ar-helmet-startup-skully-has-crashed-and-burned

Here's their site which is still up as of right now: https://www.skully.com/store

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gail Wynand posted:

There's still plenty of corporate and luxury travel agents out there.

My parents just booked a trip to some kind of resort in Montenegro through an agent, and it wasn't a particularly luxury trip. Also my aunt works for one, and apparently business has been pretty lovely, but then she's in Russia that that would explain most of it. Still I'll try asking her about it the next time we speak (which might not be very soon).

I think people still use them even for non-luxury mainly for convenience and feeling that you would be taken care of - no trying to catch a local bus from the airport or getting ripped off by taxi drivers, that sort of thing. There are some opportunities to extract economies of scale with larger groups so I think there's still some potential on the low end.

As for corporate, well we're doing our best to demolish that by integrating all travel booking and expense handling in one, mostly automated web service. Although there still is some space in cases like organizing large events like all-hands meetings that currently require a bit of manual effort.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sarehu posted:

This is what I think about people that act like the "retro Thinkpad" is a real thing that's gonna happen.

Any day now, Lenovo promised!

Look at those dual ThinknLights! The 7-row keyboard and dedicated audio buttons! :gizz:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that's why they say that having big data isn't the solution, it's kind of a problem :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

There was a period of time where BestBuy would segregate it's online and in-store prices. So you'd walk in because a TV or game was on sale, only to find that the store price was different and they wouldn't pricematch it.

Half the time you would have to buy it online, in store, for in-store delivery and just wait around until it was ready for pickup. The other half you'd buy it and wait for it to get shipped.
There's a local electronics store here that does this, or at least did a year or two ago. I found whatever I was looking for online, and since a store was nearby, went to buy it there. Tough poo poo, they told me the in-store prices are different and wouldn't pricematch it either. Had to go around the corner and order it from my phone :doh:.

Baby Babbeh posted:

This is the actual answer. Most retailers don't have the technical sophistication to do anything useful on their own with granular purchase data, but there a lot of data broker companies that do and they pay relatively good money for it. In the past this was mostly used for direct mail — they'd sell lists of people who bought certain kinds of things to marketers who would then send those people junk mail. Nowadays, a lot of this data is resold to online sites that combine it with their own data to retarget their users.
Man, this is pretty hilarious. We have a ton of retail customers so I really need to track down some account people and listen to their stories.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Skype for Business is fine, I think everyone was just complaining because of the stupid name and because that's at least the third time it's renamed in recent times.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They did own Linksys at some point, which somehow made both more and less sense. They were in the same type of business, just on the consumer side, and had a pretty good reputation. But since they were kept as separate brands, nobody ever went "I love my Linksys router at home, we should go with Cisco for this data center" or vice versa.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gail Wynand posted:

TCAS does have an automatic mode that kicks in if the pilot doesn't do anything, though.

So does Tesla, however. Sometimes it just doesn't work perfectly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

Wait, how the hell did they manage to blow up a satellite?

Is their real future in orbital warfare? :psyduck:

No, it was pretty easy, it's just Musk overhyping things as usual: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/spacexs-falcon-9-rocket-apparently-blew-up-during-a-test-firing-thursday/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess this makes sense for towns that don't have existing bus service, but one of the big benefits of buses is reducing traffic congestion. Moving a whole bunch of people off buses and into individual cars will raise hell on the roads.
Buses only make sense if they consistently have high occupancy rates. I know nothing about those particular routes, but we had a couple of them here that were packed (i.e. you had to stand smashed into the windshield the whole way) in the mornings but were frequently running empty off-peak. This is obviously much worse than 0 cars for economic, traffic, and environmental reasons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I knew this wasn't Godfather but didn't remember Mattis at all. At least it wasn't a promoted Encino Man or one of his crew https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjieIRRAp8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone been sued for downloading papers about panda loving illegaly? Not that I'd encourage it because that would be wrong but seems like a neat thing for broke students or independent researchers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the only people i ever see defending airbnb are people who rent out their property using it
And the people using it to find a place to stay. On the other hand, the opposition seems to be mostly from the established hospitality industry, based around "the law is the law" and vague ramblings about externalities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Strange, I heard Uber didn't do this but regular cabs did.

I don't think that's the point - just that Uber is used by the richer people who don't go into the poor areas.

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't forget the part where Uber's standards for what vehicles they'll accept their drivers using are also both a lot higher than most conventional taxi fleets, and not maintained or provided by Uber themselves! It's pretty easy to get a nicer experience when you're not paying for your fleet, after all!
(most?) cab companies don't provide the cars for their drivers either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

For example, a hotel area to the major airport, it would make more sense for them to charge a flat rate since the distances are consistent and the faster the cab gets you there, the more fares he can pick up in a day.

My thought with some future Uber/cab evolution was that owner/operators could set a fare based on their own expenses, but if it were app based and consumers had access to all the different people setting their own fares, you couldn't charge an exorbitant rate and expect to get anybody. This would cause the cabs to try to outbid each other giving the consumer a reasonable rate, but still a rate dictated by the guy trying to make a living and not some wannabe corporate overlord.
Fixed price is pretty rare in my experience, but I saw it in some few airport->downtown situations like in Barcelona for 30E or something. Otherwise you can get fleeced by driving a longer route than necessary, if metered, or just making up a bullshit fare like in Thailand where they'd quote whitey 3-5x the normal rate.

And this is what I initially thought Uber was doing, and sort of is what BlaBlaCar is doing, though it's more actual ride sharing and not taxi hailing thing: https://www.blablacar.com/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Altavista has been doing exactly what google did for a few years at least, except they didn't have as smart of page rank algorithm. Had some advantages early on though, like you could search for text that was nearby something else, to ensure it isn't completely unrelated. Google nowadays will return pages that don't even contain the searched words :(

For Maps vs GPS, there's been plenty of maps on phones/PDAs before Android even existed, it's just that none of those reached a critical mass, Maps still suck as navigation though, I have no idea how they still haven't figured out loving tunnels while Here manages them perfectly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're basically giving him money to spend on "shitposting" by buying a Rift, so I think not wanting to do that is fairly uncontroversial.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To give a specific example, if my employer, with a median salary of over $100k according to that site, wanted to transfer me to work in the states, we'd have to compete for the visa with 40 Tata guys averaging half that. So as a result, instead of jumping through all the hoops and hoping I get through, they got some Turkish guy doing the work remotely instead.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 25, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Babbeh posted:

It also didn't help that the marketing for it was atrocious. They weren't ever able to pinpoint what the use case for it was supposed to be, aside from really niche stuff like life casting or extreme sports which GoPro was already doing equally well. Probably they'd have done better to market it as a content consumption rather than production device, but they knew that functionality was still too half baked I guess.

Also, if you wanted it to be non-creepy, taking a picture by winking was the wrong way to go about it.
Wasn't it basically just a dev kit? I haven't tried Glass myself, but it seemed to clearly miss the mark in terms of actual AR, and was just a transparent phone display stuck to your eye. Once something like the Holo Lens is sufficiently shrunk down in size and cost, we could actually talk about how promising the technology is.

Pixelboy posted:

Having had an L1 - it's also more paperwork. You really need to prove that you have some skill or knowledge that can't be easily replaced. Fluff pieces won't really work here.
Yeah it was generally just a huge pain in the rear end, even though I could've probably made a decent case with the knowledge of our products and internal systems and processes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like Blue Apron would take care of the biggest pains in the rear end with cooking (other than cleanup), which is planning the menu and then hunting down and prepping the ingredients. Still, having individual kits delivered to you feels kind of wrong, when you can have regular groceries delivered, if necessary. Generally, if I don't have much time I just grab some chicken breasts and frozen vegetables which can be prepared into something edible pretty quickly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Salesforce is still in the game? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/salesforce-still-mulls-bid-twitter-194643017.html I hope they buy it and start burning even more cash.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Look, man, changing "fav" to "heart" is not a light-weight decision!
Probably mainly pondering whether it's possible to post more than 140 characters on the internet.

Also my employer spends only about 3x or R&D off a 10x revenue while maintaining and developing hundreds of cloud and on-premise solutions so yeah, no idea WTF they're doing there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Unless I have something completely wrong here -- do tech companies that are still highly profitable shut down just because they aren't growing?
Yeah, I think according to that income statement posted earlier, they're losing $500 a year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

How do you like them protected indications of origin. :razz:

That's what they should try disrupting, by eating blocks of Grana Padano instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Twitter is expected to lay off 300 employees soon: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-25/twitter-said-to-plan-hundreds-more-job-cuts-as-soon-as-this-week

We called it!?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Like airport shuttle services, or UberPool, but with a harder scheduling/routing problem.
I'm pretty sure this already exists somewhere, too. I definitely remember reading about this being set up in the Nordics somewhere, if I'm not mistaken.

E: yep, in Finland, and they shut it down already: http://citiscope.org/story/2016/why-helsinkis-innovative-demand-bus-service-failed

TL;DR: it "worked" but had to be subsidized at like €17/trip, at which point they could've just paid for taxis for everyone. Maybe they could've reached critical mass of ridership with SV-style financing but who knows.

Konstantin posted:

It doesn't surpise me, wired Internet will eventually go the way of the landline. If Google or anyone else can develop a wireless protocol that allows for speeds comparable to residential wired Internet with no data caps, they stand to make billions.
This probably will happen eventually, but I see no evidence of it occurring in the near future so far. You read occasionally how some researchers transferred some data at 10GBPS over a wireless link but in practice of course we're several generations behind that, and realistically the speeds are even below that. The real challenge seems to be congestion, as there's only so much crap you can fit in the available channels. If they can solve that magically, then great, of course.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 27, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That or dried and frozen stuff. I usually keep some of each and can whip something up in a hunger emergency. I can still see some value in a product like that, but there are already established products which apparently don't make you sick so...

boner confessor posted:

most transit systems are trying to reduce operating costs per mile, not increase them
Running a minivan is cheaper than a huge fuckoff bus, so cost per passenger mile could decrease since they're often like 90% empty as-is.

In any case, the idea was to displace private cars, not regular buses. For this, they'd need a lot more flexibility that comes with running smaller vehicles. If you still have to go to a regular bus stop and go through a long indirect route to drop off 50 others, you might as well use a regular bus or, even better, just drive yourself.

Prism posted:

Palantir is amazing commentary on what it does and the environment that allows it to exist.

They just get mad when you point this out.
Could someone tl;dr this? I keep hearing about it but it's apparently just some LOTR nerd poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's sad, because uber is an infinitely better experiance than a regular cab (especially if you are in another country, holy crap) but it's hard to tell how much that is or isn't a thing that hangs on them being just pure evil to their workers and being outlaws against totally just laws.
Uber probably saved my rear end from getting mugged/murdered in South Africa. A friend of mine drives for Uber (not in SA) and was quite happy with the arrangement. He even quit a corporate job for it. But let's not get into this poo poo yet again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's worse than that, palantirs were originally used by the good guys until the bad guys got their hands on all of them and actively used them to corrupt and mislead people, and the one that Sauron had could eavesdrop on any of the other palantir-to-palantir communications.

(spergin out hard)
Oh gently caress. So how does this happen? Obviously they (and the Soylent guy) had to know enough to come up with the reference, but somehow completely miss the implication. drat.