Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Somebody walk me through this.

Criminy McCriminal has an unusual amount of money for their job, and is investigated by the IRS. IRS asks "where did this money come from?" Criminy responds: "Uh.. I dunno." Then gets into further trouble.

Alternately, Criminy buys a Steam code, then sells it for cash. Still has more money than accounted for, so IRS comes a-knocking. "Where did this money come from?" Criminy responds: "I got it by selling a steam code!" IRS asks: "where did you get that steam code?" Criminy responds: "Uh.. I dunno." Then gets into further trouble.

Other than making the chat with the IRS longer, how is this helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's clear that organized crime will invest in my latest startup idea: àLaCartL, an app that automatically launders a stolen credit card with a touch of a finger.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

otoh, "we want to hire people who are not good enough to work at Google" can be a tough sell to the existing team. I have long joked that Google/FB/etc should sell the stream of rejected candidates, different prices for different stages that candidates make it to.

In the IDF, washing out from Pilot Training is the best way to get to some high-end AA/SF positions (aside from passing their test days directly). You should seriously suggest this as a way of extracting some additional value from your filtering process.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

Unless the work is on a project/product that's my very own baby, no amount of money in the world is enough to make me work back-to-back 80h weeks.

Shows how unAmerican you are. :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

No, this is not an Onion video. :smithicide:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wank posted:

While this awesome thread is on the topic of interviews. Does anyone have any tips of working out how on the ASD someone is? One guy slipped through my interview process who is good enough but has certain autistic tendencies that really affect his performance and cultural fit.

One way I kind of dealt with this was by bringing in a female staff member to the interview and seeing how they interacted with her. Many very technical guys simply wouldn't look at her even looking at me when answering her questions. Another give away seems to be entirely too long resumes or resumes with irrelevant detail. This seems to be a huge problem with hiring tech people, but I don't seem to hear much about it.

Are you trying to get us to help you skirt the ADA? :psyduck:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This discussion is kind of going way off topic. I think the detailed job interview stuff would probably be best moved to somewhere in BFC, and the explicit coding stuff to Cavern of COBOL or YOSPOS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
FYI the whole process of getting grants is becoming more and more professionalized; research institutions are starting to open field offices in Washington so they can hob-nob with the agencies and get a head's up on the kind of RFP's that are likely to come out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mozi posted:

“The great, great venture capitalists who built company after company, that’s not an accident,”

And on average, what is the ratio of successful companies to failures again?

The trick is not to count the failures... :ssh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spazzle posted:

It should be no suprise that we're selecting for researchers who are good at getting grants funded, not those who are necessary good at science.

At this point it's not even that: it's researchers who lucked out to end up in institutions with the ability to sustain a whole grantraising (tm) infrastructure. Or at least that's where I see it heading in the next 5-10 years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have a hard time thinking of where this inter-disciplinary dick-waving contest fits, but I'm pretty sure it's not this thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Uh, hello folks, I'm the Senior Forums Quality Assurance Engineer in charge of this fun space, and I am going to graduate people to bespoke term-limited vacations if I see more college major/qualification dick-waving in this thread. M'kay?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paradoxish posted:

People keep saying this, but I don't think it's going to matter. There's going to be a lot of resistance to this stuff and I'm sure a lot of these things will end up damaged or destroyed, but ultimately they're going to have cameras installed, "accidents" will be prosecuted, and people will settle down and let it happen. There's no way that a lot of small deliveries aren't automated in 5-10 years if the the technology to cheaply do so exists.

What if someone else comes up with Kickr, a bot which allows you to kick at these delivery bots from afar?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

Wired Magazine is

This is a book one of its co-founders wrote, which I stumbled upon at the local laundromat:

I guess this book did not want to stay in somebody's bookshelf. :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

That or an excuse to make a bunch of "CEO" titles to pad people's resumes.

In either case though, Alphabet is selling off the other stuff. The Robotics boondoggle is going away, and who knows how long their other pet projects will remain (Fiber will probably be around for a bit because it gives them all the user data they could want).

Would you say Alphabet is reducing itself into an Abjad?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If anything with time fares have become more and more restricted and automatic everywhere I've ever gone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kobayashi posted:

Posted in the YOSPOS thread, a really good article about the inside baseball of late-stage funding and why the money is drying up for unicorns: http://abovethecrowd.com/2016/04/21/on-the-road-to-recap/. There's a lot of quotable poo poo in there.

The kerning in that website is terrible. It makes "burn" look like "bum". At least for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:cawg:

Meanwhile, click here to learn why billionaire Carl Icahn just dumped every share he has in Apple.

I like this bit:

quote:

Icahn said he called Tim Cook, Apple's chief executive, to alert him to the news. "He seemed sort of sad to hear that," Icahn said.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
These slapfights guarantee that you will be the first against the simulated wall after the Singularity hits, so you should probably drop it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a foolish pianist posted:

I live in an old six-unit apartment building, and two of the units are leased by a woman who runs them strictly as AirBNB rentals. It's incredibly annoying - people coming in loudly at weird hours, knocking suitcases up and down, loving up the parking situation, etc.. I imagine it brings in plenty of women for the woman who runs the operation, but it's awful for the rest of us.

Yeah. That is literally what hotel regulation and zoning is supposed to prevent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boot and Rally posted:

Why is Musk always credited with this? There is a paper detailing it from 1972. Did he add something?

quote:

Description of a very high speed transit (VHST) system operating in its own rarefied atmosphere in evacuated tubes in underground tunnels. Most cases considered took less time to go coast-to-coast (e.g., 21 min) than it takes an aircraft to climb to an efficient operating altitude. VHST's tubecraft ride on, and are driven by, electromagnetic (EM) waves. In accelerating, it employs the energy of the surrounding EM field; in decelerating, it returns most of this energy to the system. Tunnel systems would be shared by oil, water, and gas pipelines; channels for laser and microwave waveguides; electric power lines including superconducting ones; and freight systems. Environmental and economic benefits are substantial, and the technology for building and operating the system exists.

:shittypop: Clearly Elon Musk the physical embodiment of this abstract.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aliquid posted:

Do underground vacuum tubes do amazingly well during earthquakes

They get disrupted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Unguided posted:

There's going to be one hell of an explosion the first time this thing crashes into a misaligned section.

Cost of doing business. Doubt we'll be lucky enough for that to happen in the maiden voyage with the idiots who pushed this through on board, though. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

E-cession sounds like a good name for an app.

"Are you tired of having to call your lawyer and have them send a physical Cease and Desist letter? Angry at how much you pay them to send one over email? Well, the answer to your prayers is nigh: E-cession. Two taps on your mobile phone, and your IP is saved!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Someone should make a Silicon valley startup game based on the model of Tropico. Use a convincing collection of ping pong tables, Restoration Hardware furniture, and 40-trying-to-look-20 year old employees to convince VCs to endlessly send you piles of money to be funneled off to an account in the Caymans.

Puerto Rico already exists.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think that this thread is served by this US/international housing policy derail.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that this thread is served by this US/international housing policy derail.

Quoting myself for the new page.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cheese posted:

How does one purchase a police precinct and am I the only one who recoiled in horror upon reading that sentence?

Pretty sure that was the premise behind Robocop 2 - Eternal Blue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpaceDrake posted:

The real test of whether or not we're watching the culture decline in real time will be whether or not this show survives more than a season and/or gets reamed by critics.

Granted, it's on Fox, so one can already guess the answers to that

If the show doesn't do too well, who knows? Maybe a tech billionaire will step in and buy up Fox to keep it running?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wateroverfire posted:

Wow. It costs almost 20x as much to employ union welders in Alameda county as it does to hire Slovenians. :staredog:

Not after these lawsuits! :homebrew:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cultural Imperial posted:

If you played Elizabeth Holmes interviews backwards, what kind of demons could you summon?

Too small to detect with certainty.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

I feel this conflicts with my Weld.It app, which is a marketplace for welding bids for your project. Set the price and local artisanal "metallbenderz" will negotiate with you for the cheapest rate!

I smell a lawsuit. Troll.IP has you covered!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More cheap medical device failure news: Fitbit heart-rate monitors highly inaccurate.

quote:

May 19, 2016 (San Francisco, CA) – A comprehensive new study conducted by researchers at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (“Cal Poly Pomona”) reveals that the PurePulse™ heart rate monitors in the Fitbit Surge™ and Charge HR™ bear an “extremely weak correlation” with actual users’ heart rates as measured by a true echocardiogram (ECG) and are “highly inaccurate during elevated physical activity.”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

Unless I have completely the wrong idea, you never turn down funding if you can get it.

You do if you want to keep your equity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Equity is if you have a profitable product, which is not a thing with unicorns. The goal is to get as much VC as possible until you get bought or fold.

Equity is power over your company, regardless of current profitability.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Time for a comic interlude, methinks:

(source)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Apparently Google's Java library reimplementation does fall under fair use (pending yet another appeal to the Federal Circuit). The question of whether it is good for developers to be forced to target a separate branch of Java in order to cater to this unique mobile snowflake is not addressed. Or, rather, several branches. Just look at this usage distribution:

Somehow I feel like this is going to just keep encouraging companies to "disrupt" quaint notions like universal software standards or consistent development targets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Munkeymon posted:

As I've tried to explain in the SCOTUS thread, the computer doesn't care about the legal distinction and the SSO is part of the API. APIs are effectively copyrightable now, depending on which language you're using.

Could you link to the post? I would like to read that discussion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thanks! :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

The crux of the problem is that they're getting their information from a set of legal advocacy groups that want to disrupt(wahey) extant software IP law. Motivated reasoning's a hell of a drug.

Software IP law is now in flux, though, as the discussion in the SCOTUS thread and a glance at Wikipedia should tell you. It's really not clear where software fits, as its form and function are intertwined in a way that make copyright and patents both extremely awkward to apply, resulting in inconsistent case law, and making every legal challenge a crapshoot. You're unfairly tarnishing the FOSS community by comparing them to "disruptive" (read: flouting regulations through technology) startups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If I ever create a startup, it's not going to have any of these silly, wasteful amenities that are meant to have you overstay at the office. Work 9-5ish, more if there's crunch time, spend time with your family and friends. Maybe a console in the break room for when you want to clear your head.