Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why are (some) tech companies called unicorns? I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Shifty Pony posted:

It was initially coined to refer to how venture capitalists were chasing after the startup company which would be worth a lot of money. Because there are thousands of startups that flame out or just end up being mildly successful niche businesses finding and investing in the company that was the one to actually hit $1B in valuation was a near mythical event and was compared to catching a unicorn. The term "unicorn" just stuck stuck.

A better term would be something like "winning the lottery", "beating the odds", or "hitting the jackpot" but VCs don't exactly like to admit that their business model sometimes strongly resembles gambling.

The fact that there are so many unicorns running around is more an indication of how freely the cash is flowing than the quality of the businesses. There is a lot of money out there chasing any sort of return.

This checks out.

Thx

namesake posted:

Heavily associated with virgins.

Lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Shifty Pony posted:

The leaked slides from the last funding round showed uber burned through $700 million in Q3 of 2015 alone.

I wish I had 700 million dollars to blow through

Hookers and blow for everyone. And a ferrari for me :)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I have a STEM degree from last year and the interview for the job I have now was "You live up the street? gently caress it, you're hired."

YMMV

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Vint Cerf sounds like a made-up name imo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Mirthless posted:

You gotta admit it's kind of weird that an advertising company owned a bunch of robotics startups

I get why Google wants to be inside of my car, I am not entirely sure why Google needed to be embedded in the world's least stealthy infantry unit (and clearly, they weren't either)

I work at a chemical plant that's owned by a law firm

Corporate structures are weird

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Evil Robot posted:

It was. I was hired by Google for $85k also in 2008 (before the start of the Great Recession), and I'm still extremely grateful for it. There was litigation about those wages being too low; both your friend and I got paid from this litigation (not much compared to today's salaries, but something).

I knew I should have majored in CompSci

Stupid chemistry degree

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How many disciplines have some sort of legal requirement in order to call yourself an [X]. Engineer, lawyer, Doctor?

I'm fairly certain there is no such oversight oversight for fields like chemistry and physics and anybody could call themselves a chemist or physicist if they wanted to. No PE or Bar equivalent for them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Doesn't wateroverfire live in Chile or something?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Where I work, a human driver is needed to sign paperwork and put on hazard placards and poo poo

Can't see a robot truck doing that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

namaste faggots posted:

Seriously have you people ever had a loving hr department that wasn't retarded and lazy?

Who needs hr departments in general?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Good job yahoo, noticing that data breach from two years ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

can I vote this man for a third term

Doc Hawkins posted:

I mentioned that I've worked for large tech-centric companies, and that I've experienced them surveying every single engineer in the company, every year, looking for any work which can be declared R&D for (I think) some kind of tax credit.

My Supervisor: "You know Owner, I can't do this lab tech stuff anymore. I have kids and these hours are bullshit and blah blah blah"

Owner: "Wait wait wait. How about I start a R/D division and promote you to head instead. I get a tax break if that happens"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

computer parts posted:

They're not.

Let's put it this way - which specific retail stores do you see disappearing in the near future? You can specific stores (like Home Depot) or categories (like home improvement stores).

Radioshack

Guitar Center is always rumored to be close to going under

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Thomamelas posted:

Not always. I worked for a start up in the security industry. Pretty standard story. Founders had previous successful start ups. A business plan to make money. And prior to acquisition it was slightly profitable. But I didn't understand that the valuations for software companies in the security space are treated like other security companies, not Silicon Valley start ups. So my payout from acquisition was $13,000 before taxes. If I had taken my job title and changed positions to other companies in the industry, I would have made more than that in a few months from the difference in salary. Now I work for a grown up company that pays me really well and has wonderful benefits.

There were some upsides to working in a start up. I built a resume that makes me really good money from one that would barely get me a tech support gig. But I figured my options would be the brass ring and I stayed with that company way past when I should have jumped ship.

guards and cameras "security" or stocks "security"?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Malleum posted:

NYC cabbies are striking in solidarity with the people being detained in JFK and Uber is using the opportunity to scab.

I thought it was the other way around, cabbies were striking in support of the border agents

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

fishmech posted:

What people often forget is that PewDiePie is the son of one of the richest men in Sweden, and his mother was also a rather wealthy CEO in her own right. So basically all of his career is for funsies, because if he completely bombs out of it all he's already got millions in the bank, before you count any of the money he earned on Youtube.

I didn't even know this to begin with

Explains a lot

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Why does 'Reply All' exist in the first place?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cicero posted:

So the xenophobia has spread so far that even D&D leftists complain about all the immigrants stealing jobs? Skilled immigration is largely A Good Thing. There are definitely some issues with some of the programs but our country is stronger from being able to bring in smart talent from elsewhere and having more links to other countries and cultures.

Aside from the fact America has tons of unemployed JavaScript developers already

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Not a Children posted:

Rich people don't go to jail

they do if they piss off richer people

see Madoff, Bernie

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Juice and milk are unhealthy now? :smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

actionjackson posted:

You can't really compare juice and milk. Fructose is definitely more harmful than lactose.

check your lactose tolerance privilege :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What is this "Slack" thing people talk about?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What is Fyre Festival? I paid literally 0 attention to whatever it was

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

greazeball posted:

And the big headline act? Blink-182

hahaha all that for Blink-182

yeesh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Sundae posted:

If my alternative fuel vehicle is a bicycle, will they come shove pie in my mouth when I use the app?

I'm down with this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Pro-chargeback poster is probably a Dare re-reg

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Are you truly unfamiliar with the work of local forums legand Fishwilliam H. Mech?

I was so disinterested in the chargeback derail I did not pay one iota of attention to usernames

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Steve Jobs is the devil

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Did Jobs still own Pixar when he died?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

GitHub has a social justice league? I thought GitHub was a upload/download storage site.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So what happens to all the stuff on Soundcloud when it goes under?

Disappears into the void?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Elon Musk is a weirdo and proalby a lovely due, but at least he produces actual physical things people sorta-kinda want, which makes him better than most people from the Valley

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does anyone actually like public transportation? I think everyone looks at as basically a necessary evil, regardless of how much money they have in their bank account.

Public transportation rules because Im a poo poo driver and can take the train to avoid the Schyukill Deathway

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I used to do a lot of fiction writing on the train. (No, I'm not published.)

post your fanfiction.net account

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What makes CS more hostile to people than like, pure math?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I couldnt figure out what was so bad about this tweet

Then I realized it was the British govment

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

corn in the bible posted:

because their business model is stupid they have to cut costs whenever possible, which means they treat their workers like poo poo and also don't really have good hygiene policies, so...

so just like every other business that exists

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

People gotta buy self-driving cars and the only people who buy new cars are boomers.

They won't buy a self-driving car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

baquerd posted:

I don't see why the women entrepreneurs can't just make their own sexy drug parties with the roles reversed.

I'm down with being a boytoy for rich chicks