Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
what do y'all think about a potentia Snapchat/ Snap, inc. IPO? Unicorn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i wonder how that's going to interact with uber trying to replace buses

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
About that Uber thing... Considering that the drivers have to use their own cars, what would the solution be?

Uber could give incentives for drivers to equip their vehicles with the necessary equipment, but I doubt they'd want to spend that money.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*crams seeing-eye dog into trunk*

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Non Serviam posted:

About that Uber thing... Considering that the drivers have to use their own cars, what would the solution be?

Uber could give incentives for drivers to equip their vehicles with the necessary equipment, but I doubt they'd want to spend that money.

They can comply with the law or close up shop. I don't care how palatable they find the solutions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

That's the crux of the problem and why companies like Uber are terrible. They built an app that does nothing but let them skim rent off of other peoples' work.

They could have a special pool that gets picked from if you click "I am disabled" on the app that sends specially-equipped vehicles to handle that. However, that's going to cost money and effort; it will also require saying "we will follow the law without complaint," which they've been actively resisting for their entire existence. They could incentivize handicap-equipped vehicles and set it up to handle that but I really doubt that they will.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Non Serviam posted:

The solution is that things designed for consumers are not meant for commercial use and trying to use them for commercial use runs into a lot of serious and unsolvable issues if the solution isn't "require commercial grade setups"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Uber literally chose to leave a market rather than comply with their regulations even though that most certainly resulted in less profit revenue overall.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the crux of the problem and why companies like Uber are terrible. They built an app that does nothing but let them skim rent off of other peoples' work.

They could have a special pool that gets picked from if you click "I am disabled" on the app that sends specially-equipped vehicles to handle that. However, that's going to cost money and effort; it will also require saying "we will follow the law without complaint," which they've been actively resisting for their entire existence. They could incentivize handicap-equipped vehicles and set it up to handle that but I really doubt that they will.

If we follow Uber's logic the people that are violating the law are the "independent contractors" that are not outfitting their personal vehicles to the standards required of a taxi.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

computer parts posted:

Uber literally chose to leave a market rather than comply with their regulations even though that most certainly resulted in less profit revenue overall.

You probably mean Austin, but they've actually done it multiple times.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The printer industry is the absolute scum sucking bottom of the consumer electronics barrel. It's a desperate, dying technology but I'd still like to see someone go in there and just annihilate everyone with a decent product with good support and marketing.

Isn't that Brother? Everyone I know who owns one of their laser printers raves about how awesome they are (myself obviously included). Simple, reliable drivers (minimal package is like 5 MB), Linux compatibility (including scanner functionality and generic CUPS drivers), small footprint, hardware that keeps ticking for a decade+, and no BS about DRM'd refills or whatever.

My advice is that if you're a graphic arts studio or someone else who is making nonstop color prints then an inkjet is a good investment, especially one with a bulk ink tank (Canon or a retrofit kit for other brands). If you are a business who is doing a ton of color page but don't need grade-A photo quality then a color laser or a solid ink printer, with a big enterprise B+W laser filling in for bulk prints. Otherwise everyone else is by far best off with a B+W laser printer or MFC or whatever plus going to Kinkos or the supermarket for your occasional color-printing needs. Inkjets are far too expensive to run if you aren't using them on a daily basis (head cleaning flushes the heads using the equivalent of dozens of pages worth of ink).

asdf32 posted:

Yes you still need to print stuff in 2016. My desk at work is covered in printouts of block diagrams and schematics. An 11x17 is still more information dense and readable than the computer screen(s).

At home I have HP which has subscription plan for the ink. At first I thought this was BS but then I realized that it's easily worth $3/month or whatever it is to have a consistently reliable printer. So far it hasn't let me down and it's on HP if it does. It can print via email so everything is compatible with it (and has phone apps too).

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is that true? Do you feel that is an objective truth or is that just a thing you feel like is true for you? Do you think it's like writers that only write on typewriters because they always have done that, or do you think it's some technological thing where once screens get to XYZ dpi or contrast level or whatever a switch will flip and now screens will be better (the way digital film was long objectively worse than actual film, and now that is no longer meaningfully the case for most uses because a certain line was crossed in technological progress)

Honestly who doesn't print poo poo out for reference? I have reference charts and cheatsheets for all kinds of poo poo printed out and pinned to the walls of my cube for easy reference.

When I can plop down a holopage of reference material on my desk and look back and forth as I work on something else on my screens then we'll talk about how paper is going obsolete. And that's not even getting into the ease of marking notes on a piece of paper like everyone else mentioned.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 15, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doc Hawkins posted:

You probably mean Austin, but they've actually done it multiple times.

Yeah, they left San Antonio over it (and background checks) until the mayor got promoted to the president's cabinet and a new, probusiness one was elected and gave them a waiver.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

If we follow Uber's logic the people that are violating the law are the "independent contractors" that are not outfitting their personal vehicles to the standards required of a taxi.

This is the correct answer. Uber, AirBNB and these other chucklefucks operate on the principle of being mere middlemen who can't be held responsible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Honestly who doesn't print poo poo out for reference? I have reference charts and cheatsheets for all kinds of poo poo printed out and pinned to the walls of my cube for easy reference.

Like the first thing I said is that kids would still need a printer for specialized things like birthday cards and dinosaur pictures for a poster. I can't imagine some weird world where printing has been made totally illegal in any situation. But it's a weird specialized side thing, not a thing that needs to be a common part of a normal workflow. Like we have had this entire conversation in digital text only and as far as I know no one has used printing in any part of this whole use case of computers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Uber would rather forfeit revenues from an area than set precedent that they will actually comply with regulations. That's just not what tech does.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is true, and was why I also didn't think the percentage was unusual, until someone posted facebook's numbers too.

I still have no idea where you guys get the idea that writing novel concurrency software and producing custom hardware isn't plain ole CapEx for Twitter. Twitter is rife with boondoggle projects that are not part of their core business because they want to be Facebook and/or Google without comparable revenue.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like the first thing I said is that kids would still need a printer for specialized things like birthday cards and dinosaur pictures for a poster. I can't imagine some weird world where printing has been made totally illegal in any situation. But it's a weird specialized side thing, not a thing that needs to be a common part of a normal workflow. Like we have had this entire conversation in digital text only and as far as I know no one has used printing in any part of this whole use case of computers.

Nobody here expects to need any part of this conversation as a reference source or business item either. It's likely that nobody ever will. Nobody cares about a piece of media that nobody will ever need. Ergo your example sucks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 16, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Isn't that Brother? Everyone I know who owns one of their laser printers raves about how awesome they are (myself obviously included). Simple, reliable drivers (minimal package is like 5 MB), Linux compatibility (including scanner functionality and generic CUPS drivers), small footprint, hardware that keeps ticking for a decade+, and no BS about DRM'd refills or whatever.

It is, I have one and they're great, but they don't seem to give two shits about the consumer market. Their industrial design is mid 90's chic and they do zero targeted ad buys. If they got some CAD monkey fresh out of design school to make something that looks sharp and spent a hundred grand on facebook ads with a video that shows people how the printer industry is loving them, they would capture the entire market below the $500 price point in two years flat. Casper came out of nowhere and did it for mattresses, and that was a far less lovely market to jump into.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yep - I have a Brother laser printer I bought for $90 or something two years ago and it's loving awesome. The only complaint I have is that their toner cartridge design starts saying it's running out with a quarter of the ink left. It's nothing a sticker over the cartridge's level sensor can't fix, though.

Never buying an inkjet again.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Uber's new marketing strategy in Mexico: heckling drivers stuck in traffic with drones carrying advertising.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...campaign=buffer

Even better than billboards!

:shepicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Uber's new marketing strategy in Mexico: heckling drivers stuck in traffic with drones carrying advertising.

My god, they just keep poking the bear.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can't install print drivers on your Chromebook (duh) so being able to print depends on being able to make your printer support Google Cloud Print, which requires a fairly modern printer. For my older printer (such as many classrooms have), even though it was wireless, I had to connect it by a physical cable to a desktop, then install Google Cloud Print on the desktop.

New generation printers are all based off android with tablets sittin on them and direct intergration w google apps. Anything you can put on an android phone or tablet works on your printer. Including angry birds and youtube. I think its called jellybean? Dont quote me.

I did see a guy write in google docs into a contract and charge someone like 300$ a month on it lmao

Also non-window OSs suck for printing to high end enterprise printers, like the ones that cost as much as a house.

I also didnt buy this av.

E: brother- the sub 500 market makes all its money in ink/toner. HPs have a higher price tag upfront but are more reliable than brother and have a lower cost through out their life. With HP you dont replace the drum, a new drum is part of a new toner cartridge, and you just toss the old one. Brother sells ypu the toner and the drum seperatly which gets expensive depending on volume

Obv if one cartridge lasts you a year it doesnt matter but small buisnesses should stay away or lean toward hp.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 16, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Waroduce posted:

Also non-window OSs suck for printing to high end enterprise printers, like the ones that cost as much as a house.

I also didnt buy this av.

E: brother- the sub 500 market makes all its money in ink/toner. HPs have a higher price tag upfront but are more reliable than brother and have a lower cost through out their life. With HP you dont replace the drum, a new drum is part of a new toner cartridge, and you just toss the old one. Brother sells ypu the toner and the drum seperatly which gets expensive depending on volume

Obv if one cartridge lasts you a year it doesnt matter but small buisnesses should stay away or lean toward hp.

macOS seems to be particularly lovely about networked printing and properly using any feature on a printer like duplexing.

anyway you don't get a new drum with the HP cartridge, a single drum can be reused a dozen
times which is exactly what HP does if you use the labels in their boxes for free recycling. theoretically because it doesn't have this shipping cost brother's setup should be more economical long run (which is why enterprise systems have insanely modular setups) but they have decided to lean more on the blades part of the razor/blade business model.

HP has probably made the right call though by not trusting consumers to do anything more complex than slam a single cartridge into a self-aligning slot.

Sundae posted:

Yep - I have a Brother laser printer I bought for $90 or something two years ago and it's loving awesome. The only complaint I have is that their toner cartridge design starts saying it's running out with a quarter of the ink left. It's nothing a sticker over the cartridge's level sensor can't fix, though.

Never buying an inkjet again.

do you print a lot of small print jobs? the idling before and after the print causes the toner/carrier to wear out and not print as well so a lot of printers will indicate toner low when they detect that the toner isn't going to be charging correctly. it would be more correct to indicate "toner life nearing expiration" instead of "toner low" but people would be so confused and pissed off by that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How would having someone else driving change the fact that you're stuck in traffic

Did they think about this at all

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The IT costs of setting up that old computer with a USB cable for every classroom are substantial, and then the teacher has to troubleshoot every time the old computer tosses a hissy. That's more expensive for the school.
I'm pointing out that it's a hassle unless you're reasonably computer literate *and* have a spare computer for every single printer *and* have room next to/close to that old computer for your printer.

Waroduce posted:

New generation printers are all based off android with tablets sittin on them and direct intergration w google apps. Anything you can put on an android phone or tablet works on your printer. Including angry birds and youtube. I think its called jellybean? Dont quote me.
Schools. often. lack. modern. printers.

It doesn't matter how up-to-date your phone/tablet is, if the school bought the printer in 2008. As was thoroughly discussed upthread, you're likelier to get a grant for classroom iPads than for classroom printers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It doesn't matter how up-to-date your phone/tablet is, if the school bought the printer in 2008. As was thoroughly discussed upthread, you're likelier to get a grant for classroom iPads than for classroom printers.

I think new vs old isn't even the biggest thing, it's that it's super hard to plan any sort of cohesive thing. It's easy for schools to get every sort of type of computer under different circumstances with different types of money at different times with no real chance to get a good cohesive vision. Like there is never a time you get to sit down and say "the technology budget for this year is X dollars" and then plan out buying things, it's always a real mess of money coming and going and this or that program coming into existence or ending or grants coming through or not coming through or money from one thing spilling into technology because special ed has some technology initiative that requires XYZ that needs to be some specific thing.

Like it's rare to get a real chance to sit down and actually plan out a unified vision where everything works together. If the plan was "buy 200 ipads and some printers for them" that would be an easy project, but it's never that, it's always "buy 200 ipads and special ed might buy some printers for some literacy program thing they are doing that will have some new laptops for the teachers to run the software required and that is in the wing of the school that has a bunch of windows xp netbooks and the printers really need to work easily with those and also this is all dependent on 5 grants we wrote and that literacy program actually getting funding this year from the state"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shugojin posted:

How would having someone else driving change the fact that you're stuck in traffic

Did they think about this at all

Did you read even the first paragraph of the article?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

...I may have skimmed and in so doing missed a very important sentence

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

do you print a lot of small print jobs? the idling before and after the print causes the toner/carrier to wear out and not print as well so a lot of printers will indicate toner low when they detect that the toner isn't going to be charging correctly. it would be more correct to indicate "toner life nearing expiration" instead of "toner low" but people would be so confused and pissed off by that.

Typically 400-600 pages at a time, but with long periods of inactivity between (I basically use it to print draft documents since I can't get distracted by the internet while hand-editing). It could be the age factor.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

anyway you don't get a new drum with the HP cartridge, a single drum can be reused a dozen
times which is exactly what HP does if you use the labels in their boxes for free recycling. theoretically because it doesn't have this shipping cost brother's setup should be more economical long run (which is why enterprise systems have insanely modular setups) but they have decided to lean more on the blades part of the razor/blade business model.

HP has probably made the right call though by not trusting consumers to do anything more complex than slam a single cartridge into a self-aligning slot.

thats interesting. I wasn't aware of the blades issue. I worked for an independent and we sold both. I was always told by service that HP is better in the long run. I was also responsible for pricing out our service and repair contract and it was much cheaper to use HP for the single functions and desktop poo poo in my calculations. This was a factor because the awarding process was points based but cost was heavily weighted.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is true, but the contract was specifically to give them the latest and greatest since they wanted to move to an umbrella MPS contract.

The last time they had updated printers was literally '06 lmao same company had held the contract for like a decade and change using basically that same equipment plus a handful of "newer" models. they were still several generations behind.

Sundae posted:

Typically 400-600 pages at a time, but with long periods of inactivity between (I basically use it to print draft documents since I can't get distracted by the internet while hand-editing). It could be the age factor.

any idea what your monthly volume is like

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Obama gets it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/787652161530462208

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Obama is a smart man.

I'm surprised he mentioned Syria and Yemen being unintended consequences. That's at least taking some responsibility for less-than-great actions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He's also a wise man, which many smart men are not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Had we already noticed that Salesforce noped out of buying Twitter yesterday?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hashtag repeal the 22nd

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

archangelwar posted:

I still have no idea where you guys get the idea that writing novel concurrency software and producing custom hardware isn't plain ole CapEx for Twitter.

I mentioned that I've worked for large tech-centric companies, and that I've experienced them surveying every single engineer in the company, every year, looking for any work which can be declared R&D for (I think) some kind of tax credit.

quote:

Twitter is rife with boondoggle projects that are not part of their core business because they want to be Facebook and/or Google without comparable revenue.

We are in agreement! It's going to be incredible when they fail. Myspace times 100.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

He's also a wise man, which many smart men are not.

Yeah, all of those civilian victims of drone warfare are loving pumped about this war criminal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, all of those civilian victims of drone warfare are loving pumped about this war criminal.

Without wanting to turn this into USPOL, wisdom and morality are independent.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Without wanting to turn this into USPOL, wisdom and morality are independent.

Touché.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

can I vote this man for a third term

Doc Hawkins posted:

I mentioned that I've worked for large tech-centric companies, and that I've experienced them surveying every single engineer in the company, every year, looking for any work which can be declared R&D for (I think) some kind of tax credit.

My Supervisor: "You know Owner, I can't do this lab tech stuff anymore. I have kids and these hours are bullshit and blah blah blah"

Owner: "Wait wait wait. How about I start a R/D division and promote you to head instead. I get a tax break if that happens"