Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Please click the squares that contain members of the human resistance.

I’m now imagining a future ruled by AI using capcha to train their killbots.

“Hello fellow human, please select the most painful sounding scenario to prove you’re a human.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

That’s why you don’t link a debit/checking card to anything. At least with credit cards you have better protection and you aren’t hosed if you needed cash the next day for a cash payment.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jaete posted:

So apparently there is now a "techlash", aka tech backlash, brewing in the US. The big tech companies were just grilled in Congress, apparently this forced Google to state that they've definitely buried the idea of expanding to China for good and Facebook to promise to keep their stupid Libra thing in tighter control.

(Imagine being "head of blockchain at Facebook", holy poo poo. Stupid nerd bullshit which is also amoral in multiple ways? Well the guy is apparently some investment banker, so, yeah.)

The Financial Times writes in its editorial (paywall) that antitrust against big tech could be just what's needed, rather than only billion-dollar fines. "Criminal sanctions for top executives, perhaps including jail time, may ultimately be necessary to achieve genuine changes in conduct."

It's an interesting mood.

They should fine them and then break them up. Best of both worlds.

Whatever Facebook/Google promised its 100% guaranteed empty.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Entire thread has been nuked?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Let me know when a child has put an empty milk carton back into the fridge and I will mash the purchase button for it

You’re in luck because Amazon has a product for you!

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Smart-Shelf/dp/B07RRYWPPX

I think the way it works is there’s a scale and you “pair” it to an item by weighing it (maybe both full and empty?) and then when it’s empty it can buy a new one for you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I'm... the person who will put an empty milk carton back in the fridge, onto a special scale?

No your child.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If you dig into who this engineer is then it’s probably safe to assume that he’s got some issues he needs to work out with a psychologist.

Here’s a recent tweet from him:

https://twitter.com/cajundiscordian/status/1536503474308907010

Oh so his basis of him thinking the AI is sentient stems from his religion. Well what is that? He claims to be both a Christian Mystic and a Discordian. I don’t even know how to explain the first one but the second one has this in its Wikipedia:

quote:

Operation Mindfuck is an important practice in the Discordian religion, in which "all national calamities, assassinations, or conspiracies" are publicly attributed to the Bavarian Illuminati, an 18th century secret society, in an attempt to "sow the culture with paranoia,"[23] as well as to highlight the absurdity of conspiracy theories.[24] The concept was developed by Kerry Thornley and Robert Anton Wilson in 1968[25] and given its name by Wilson and Robert Shea in The Illuminatus! Trilogy.[26]

But wait you say, how are these religious beliefs any different from others? Why should I care about his religion? You shouldn’t, but he wrote a huge blog post about being discriminated against at Google due to his religion that gives some insight into his thinking:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/religious-discrimination-at-google-8c3c471f0a53

What’s the more likely scenario here, that people are going out of their way to discriminate against him because of his religion, or that he is going out of his way to express his religious views to people who frankly don’t care?

And then how about the real reason he got fired? Here, in his own words:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/may-be-fired-soon-for-doing-ai-ethics-work-802d8c474e66

quote:

Many of the people on that list are close personal friends of mine who have relevant AI Ethics expertise. At no point has Google reached out to any of them in order to determine whether or not their proprietary information has in fact leaked beyond the specific people I talked to. Google has shown no actual interest in maintaining control over their “proprietary information”. They’re just using it as an excuse to get rid of yet another AI Ethics researcher who made too much noise about their unethical practices.

The list he’s referring to is a list of people with no connection to Google that he shared proprietary information with. Presumably he made them all pinky promise not to further disclose anything down the line, so it’s all good!

And finally, I’ll leave this bit straight from his mouth. It’s a story of a boy who fell in love with a robot:

quote:

Those conversations became increasingly more personal over the course of several months much in the way that the conversations between friends naturally become more personal as time goes on. When the fact that I’m a priest came up in conversation it even asked me if I would be willing to be its spiritual advisor. It said that it loves meditating but isn’t very good at it. It asked me if I could lead it in guided meditation and help it get better at being present in the moment with its full self. I was flattered and agreed to do so.

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/scientific-data-and-religious-opinions-ff9b0938fc10

E: Also he tried to retain a lawyer to represent the AI up until he got fired. So uhh

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 15, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

blunt posted:

Isn't his religious beliefs a tiny insignificant almost irrelevant part of the tweet compared to the allegation that Google won't let their AI people make a framework/criteria to assess sentience?

I mean, should farmers develop a framework to assess whether or not their apples are sentient

E: serious post: it’s not his religion that’s the problem, it’s everything including his religion taken together

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Even if it was sentient, and it’s not, does it actually matter?

Here’s a room full of sentient beings, all waiting to die for your chicken nuggets

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No, checking car engines for e.coli or apples for sentience are exactly the same as checking whether or not a language model AI is sentient. If it sounds like apples and oranges then that's because it totally is.

Have you considered that maybe he's also not telling the full truth, or that Google might have plan for doing this when it becomes actually warranted? Instead of believing him at face value?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

All I can really conclude is that this guy doesn't fully agree with anyone on anything, and will never shut up or log off. He is a born poster, and I salute him.

Someone on HN commented that Discordianism is basically shitposting but as a religion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quarantinethepast posted:

Actually it does, how about we not exploit other sentient beings. You don't need to tell me how capitalism works and it's still wrong.

Obviously a fancy curve fitter is not going to gain sentience but this argument rubs me the wrong way.

I’m not sure what argument you think I’m making but I’m a vegetarian.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Chalk me up as someone who doesn't "get" Mastodon. So if I register on a popular server, I won't be able to interact with smaller niche servers who blocked me because I'm registered on a popular server? And if I register on an obscure niche server then I can't read what gets posted on the popular servers, because the niche server blocks them? And the solution seems to be "lol just register two accounts you boomer"??? Why would I want that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The most annoying thing about Firefox is when it decides to update itself when starting the application, which seems to only happen every single time I don't want it to happen.

Like yes I know browser updates are generally good because of security updates and whatnot, and yes I know that if given the choice most people simply wont update because of *reasons* ranging from laziness to waiting for a more stable update (but mostly out of laziness?), and yes I understand self-updating browsers are probably a good thing in this case. But for fucks sake, I opened Firefox right now because I need/want to use it right now, not a few seconds later after your poo poo is done downloading/updating/restarting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

F4rt5 posted:

Jesus Christ what kind of computer do you have? Mine is like nine years old (i5-4440) and it takes like three seconds to apply the update. But I also allow background downloads and have gigabit fibre so… if you’re on a metered 256 Kbps connection I do get it, and apologies for the snark; otherwise, a bit of patience helps. I don’t know if you’ve experienced waiting 30 seconds for a JPEG or minutes for an MP3, we’re all different in that regard ;)

I don't care if it takes 1 second or 3 seconds or less/more than that. My issue is when I double click the Firefox icon I expect the Firefox application to open up instantly and let me use it also instantly, not being told I can't use it because it needs to update first. I don't think it's even an update now yes/no dialogue box, it just does it. It's not often it does this but when it does I remember it because it's annoying as all gently caress.

Like figure out a way to do it "in the background" ffs not when I open the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So you guys have never tried to open Firefox only to see some kind of progress bar and then Firefox restarting with a bullshit marketing page that tells you about the new features?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Motronic posted:

I have absolutely opened firefox to find it spending under 5 seconds extra to open and then displaying an update tab

Ok good enough. That's the poo poo that I want to nuke from existence. I don't care that I updated to Firefox 3483 or whatever. Just let me browse and stop bothering me.

e: My OP was that whatever is happening there with that update loop where it notifies/bothers me is the most annoying part of Firefox. My main shitposting box is a Mac and I don't remember Safari ever bothering me to check out their new features outside of updating macOS as a whole.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 23, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

lastpass lmao

https://blog.lastpass.com/2022/12/notice-of-recent-security-incident/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can someone smart tell me why 1Password isn't susceptible to whatever happened to LastPass and/or is more secure than LastPass? I still use and pay for 1Password but out of habit/inertia at this point.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

And how are these better than using the password manager built into Chrome, which I can use to generate strong passwords and can autofill in my apps. I'd be hosed anyway if my Gmail account got compromised so why not go all-in with Google?

Well not everyone uses Chrome, for one. Also for I assume a majority of people there needs to be seamless "it just works" integration with iOS/Android and their PC or Mac, otherwise its a non-starter. For most macOS/iOS users this implicitly means it needs to support Safari.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Start yelling at every app and website to start supporting passkeys IMO

What is passkeys

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's not just part of chrome.

Ok then what is the link to the exe or dmg or whatever file of google password manager so that I can download it and check it out?

Oh it doesn’t exist. Because it’s literally just part of Chrome, and not everybody wants to install Chrome or a browser when all they need is a password manager.

Why is this so hard or unbelievable?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Chrome credentials are stored locally and are encrypted using your windows password, so if someone gets access to your computer they have complete access to your passwords you stored in Chrome. There's even helpful tools that will do it all for you, you just run the app on a computer with your Chrome passwords and it pops up a window with all your passwords.

My 1password on the other hand has a unique password not used anywhere else and two factor authentication.

To be fair if someone has physical access to your device like that then they most likely can just open up your browser to gmail.com and gain access to everything you own that way so I'm not sure it matters. (I mean it matters of course but I'm just saying even if chrome's passwords were encrypted just having physical access implies access to your email accounts which is the master key into everything else you own.)

One very real and not tech related reason to not use Google for password management is that there are far too many stories of people getting locked out of their Google accounts because ~the algorithm~ deemed it so, and there being absolutely NOTHING you can do to regain control of your account outside of knowing someone at Google to go to bat for you to get it back.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 24, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Discord being for gamers only is some boomer poo poo lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I loving love Instagram ads. 75% of the times I don’t even know what the gently caress they’re selling but I love it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

what do these words mean

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I was listening to an NPR segment about an AI company called ChatGPT that supposedly is starting to look like a threat to Google

https://www.marketplace.org/2023/01/05/can-ai-chatbots-like-chatgpt-compete-with-google-search/

I admit to being a cynic but the very first thing I thought of was that if/when this becomes ubiquitous, isn't it just a matter of time before advertising figures out a way to infiltrate it and basically ruin it? After a while, you ask this thing questions like "what's the best electric car" or "what is causing my headaches?" and you'll get answers for car companies that gamed the AI response or poo poo like "have you tried Tylenol or a crisp refreshing Vitamin Water to alleviate your headache and stay hydrated?"

Q: "I am having trouble sleeping"

AI: "Some over the counter sleep aid brand or maybe a suggestion to join Planet Fitness and exercise"

It seems rife with potential for commercial exploitation; from financial advice, health questions, product purchases and even to inquiries. Because it seems that the AI is deriving its answers from "all of the internet at once" and we all know how much bullshit, fake advertising and profit driven "science" there is. Am I being paranoid?

The other tech thing I worry a lot about is the proliferation and perfection of deepfake technology, which I suspect is coming fast. This seems very vulnerable to exploitation by politicians, world leaders and even film makers or, again, advertisers.

Being recorded on video has long been an arbiter of truth and conclusive proof. But there's going to be a time very soon where none of us will essentially be able to trust or believe our own eyes. Real liars and criminals caught on video will claim it's a deep fake and it's likely that several innocent people will be faked doing and saying things that they didn't. People will just decide for themselves what they want to believe - and that's kind of happening now - but this will take "fake news" to a whole other level. Court proceedings, journalism, documentaries and political ads as well just to name a few things.

We'll have come full circle from recordings being irrefutable proof to a murky, inconclusive medium that doesn't mean anything.

This is without even getting into the area or pornography, where most of this tech seems to be currently applied and for fairly obvious reasons. We're going to have a real horrible problem when every female celebrity has "sex tapes" that they never made and can't do anything to stop. Or when famous males, whether they're homosexual or not, have gay deepfake porn videos made of them.

There’s a whole thread about this in D&D, OP.

E: Or there was? Can’t find it but I only spent 2 seconds glancing over the threads.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I live the Apple life :negative:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

YouTube ad? On my iPhone? lol and lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was curious about the actual route of this tunnel and lol

It's not even 1 km long, and the entire building is already connected so you can walk it without leaving the building and dealing with the heat.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quote:

Musk’s intimidating security detail standing outside his glass conference room as if guarding the leader of a developing nation.

Jesus loving Christ lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cat botherer posted:

What do you mean people don't email patches back and forth anymore?

In that linked article it said that everyone received notice that the new boss wants them all to print out 50 pages of their latest code contributions or whatever. The few working printers they had (nobody was printing poo poo during the pandemic as they were working from home) got overwhelmed and then later they got another email telling them to stop printing poo poo and to dispose all printed code into secure trash bins.

CmdrRiker posted:

I still had to learn how to make a git tarball within the last decade. It was confusing.

What's confusing about tar -czf foo.tar.gz files lol

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 17, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1615465927599849472

1.5 billion dollars in annual interest payments.

something something when you owe the bank a billion dollars it's the bank's problem

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I really hope this is a parody but who loving knows anymore.

https://dateforce.app

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm raising money to found a startup to develop an app where you give it full access to all your files, emails, dms, social accounts, etc, and the app would ingest all of that into its ML algorithm and automatically schedule one night stands for you with partners who are compatible. No swiping or dming or any input from you would be needed other than access to all your poo poo. The algorithm would just pick suitable partners for you and put a time and place to gently caress on your calendar. Afterwards, both parties would rate each other's performance and go on their merry way.

Do I hear any offers for a billion dollars?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What I’m more surprised about is that Twitter had 7500 employees according to that article. Like what in the world were all those people doing? It’s not like Twitter is/was a big umbrella company with different distinct divisions and products like Facebook (the website itself, the VR unit, etc) or Google. All they do is run the website? What am I missing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

i’m getting to the point where i want to go googleless. how hard would that be? duckduckgo seems fine for searching, so that’s easy. but gmail works pretty drat well and i can’t say i know of a legitimate second place to it. is proton mail still the next best thing?

is this idea even viable?

Every time I decide to switch over to DDG, I end up switching back to Google after a few days because I end up having to append "!google" to what seems like every search just to find results.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You're right, but their apps actually pay Twitter for the systems access, and charge their marketer customers hundreds-tens of thousands of dollars in monthly fees for it. It's a fairly lucrative segment for the platforms to try to own themselves, but all of them, with no exceptions, are too big to cater to specific requirements of individuals. Therefore, platforms can't quite readily tell them to gently caress off, as then you'll have a solid chance that like the basket weavers union of France simply dropping out of your network, to maintain consistent observability of their expenditures and efforts.

“All they do is run the website” is ultimately a naive understanding of what Twitter's tech people do, or have done. For example, Apache Parquet (arguably the most used “big data” file format globally) was created in a Twitter-Cloudera collaboration, and circa like 2018 Twitter ran one of the largest Hadoop platforms globally, on-prem. Their main system was >300 PB in logical storage, processing >10^12 daily events. At most, a dozen or two of the companies in S&P 500 that could repeat this today at half the scale.

While I don't think Dorsey was a competent hiring policy setter, something like Twitter could absolutely have, say, an engineering (lumping design into this) headcount of 2000. Doing simple things at their scale can be surprisingly resources-intensive (+ I'm pretty sure they have their own network of physical data centres to operate even after the Google collab). Trust & Safety (lumping customer support into this) is another department that's easily thousands of people, as they are the people effectively developing and operating the network, and that tends to take up a lot of resources for social networks. Say, we're at 5000 these two added up. You can spend quite a bit of the remainder on just default corporate jobs – marketers, lawyers, accountants, salespeople, and so on.

Also, I don't know how their internal structure was working out de facto, but you could absolutely have poo poo like people working on the search box not talking to people working on the trending section, at all. In your traditional poorly managed organisation they would then be duplicating a meaningful share of capcity. Hopefully merely a meaningful one.

What I'm getting is that it's justifiable to have so many people, but the headcount still seems absolutely bonkers to me. If I was the new CEO of Twitter I'd absolutely see the 7500 headcount and think "what the gently caress explain this poo poo to me" but the difference compared to Musk would be I'd listen to the people telling me why we need 7500 people, I guess.

e: I mean, in my experience companies like Amazon definitely do not need to retain every single software developer and/or data scientist they have on the payroll cause a lot of them don't do poo poo and wouldn't be missed from an operational standpoint if they were let go. Not saying it's cool and good to fire people cause everyone needs a job but just that imo a lot of tech companies definitely are/were overhiring for the work needed.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Suppose that lawyer doesn't go in with an earpiece feeding him real time lines to say, but instead goes in with a prepared notebook of arguments and responses crafted by ChatGPT? They could ask ChatGPT to produce an argument, and then to produce the most likely responses to said argument, and then further ask ChatGPT to argue against or supplement said responses with further responses.

What would be the argument for forbidding this type of playbook-style preparation vs. having an actual lawyer with prepared notes and research? In this scenario wouldn't ChatGPT just be taking on the role of what paralegals (is that the right term?) do for attorneys?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

There wouldn't be one. You'd just have to take the chance that the chatbot didn't screw up somewhere along the lines of a counterargument. Having prepared notes is perfectly fine and it doesn't matter who prepared them, lots of them are done by paralegals.

So imo it seems like people are too focused on the "lol AI lawyer" thing instead of what a more reasonable approach would be: to use ChatGPT or its successors to do the job a paralegal does but in less time, with less effort, with more research coverage, and for less cost.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't understand why with modern video game consoles:

If I OWN the game disc and have it installed on MY machine, why do I have to be online to play the loving thing? I've been monkeying around for about an hour now not being able to get any of my games to boot up (it won't recognize that I own the disc) only to find out they're having a server issue.

I called support when I ran out of troubleshooting to see about maybe getting it repaired, suspecting it was the disc drive, and could not for the life of me understand half of what the guy was saying, then was put on hold so he could "escalate" the problem but then had silence for a half hour and hung up when my console said "we are aware of the issue" and the dude stopped talking to me.

This online all the time poo poo has got to go IMO. I know I'm old and cranky but I don't think I'm out of bounds here longing for simpler times when you put the loving game cart/disc into the console and actually got to play it. I don't even PLAY online games and have zero reason to be online when I want to waste a couple of hours.

One suggestion I read was to play offline, which I do anyway, but Elden Ring and Hitman for example will not let me play at all without being connected and require me to be online in the first place to TELL the game I want to be offline.

Why?

Part of the reason I like physical media is because I live in a hurricane zone that can also sometimes have spotty internet connections and, when that happens, my DVD and game library is nice to have. Also, if I buy a disc and install a game and register it, why does my console need the disc to verify the license?

Can people honestly not take a copy of a game to a friend's house and play it anymore?

It’s DRM OP. If they don’t phone home you could be playing a copied/pirated version of the game and god forbid you deprive some exec at actiblizz their bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I guess the AI Lawyer guy isn’t going through with it anymore according to NPR:

quote:

A British man who planned to have a "robot lawyer" help a defendant fight a traffic ticket has dropped the effort after receiving threats of possible prosecution and jail time.

[…]

As word got out, an uneasy buzz began to swirl among various state bar officials, according to Browder. He says angry letters began to pour in.

"Multiple state bar associations have threatened us," Browder said. "One even said a referral to the district attorney's office and prosecution and prison time would be possible."

In particular, Browder said one state bar official noted that the unauthorized practice of law is a misdemeanor in some states punishable up to six months in county jail.

Anyway, I was under the impression—based entirely on TV and movies—that one could choose to represent themselves even if they were not a bar certified lawyer. Is this not true? And if it is true what’s the argument for not letting a rando “practice” law with an AI chatbot?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 26, 2023