Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

I hope the current crop of online "do my chores so I can bask in bourgeois awesomeness" companies all get screwed.

Just buy your friends a case of beer and have them hang the shelves. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

What if you don't have friends though?

The beer should handle that.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see what's hard about fizzbuzz, but I know gently caress-all about programming so my immediate thought is always "it's only 100 results, just hardcode them".

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Or it may hilariously backfire in case someone really wants to work off some steam.

Give the robots jaws filled with sharp teeth.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Buffer posted:

It's property, at worst loving with it is petty vandalism.

If it's delivering things then wouldn't that be interference with the mail?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

robot cars are gonna kill a whole lotta cats and dogs

Don't worry, they solved this by making them stop for anything in the road, up to and including plastic bags. It's shocking really, who could have possibly expected that something completely incapable of thought would have trouble distinguishing between a piece of debris, a small animal, and a toddler?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

We have kind of beat the robo car thing into the ground but, for the "heh dumb machines" camp, please take a quick look around at your fellow drivers next time you're on the road. I know every time I have to slow down for a traffic snag I look in the rear view and pray the guy behind me isn't texting. I've seen a serious car wreck happen almost once a year over the last 5 years and I drive very little. People do a lot of things that are well beyond the bleeding edge of AI but moving vehicles through space isn't going to be one of them for long.

And why, exactly, do you expect autonomous cars to be better at this than humans are?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

Yeah it's akin to Watson's goofy Jeopardy errors. A little scarier when a car does it, of course.

Or the multiple pieces of facial recognition software that thought black people were shadows.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Was Theranos' flouting essential to their business model, as Uber's is, or just reckless operation?

I would say that it was rather essential, given that they were selling a product that did not work.

Bonus thing I found while checking exactly what rules they were flouting:

Wikipedia posted:

On December 2, The Washington Post revealed the exploration of a partnership with the US military had led to issues being found with the Edison device and a request that the FDA investigate. This request was denied by United States Marine Corps General James Mattis after Holmes's intervention. Mattis later joined the Board of Directors of Theranos.

I feel like someone should hang for this.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelboy posted:

Really? I'd say about 20%, but I'm not good at math.

Yeah, it's actually 40%.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

duz posted:

That would imply it was cleaning the source of the money. Pretty sure the money coming out of this is just as dirty as the money they put into it.

It's money laundering with the inflow and outflow pipes switched.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Can't you patent just about any idea, no matter how stupid or impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Haystack posted:

Even if it worked, can you imagine the liability? They'd go bankrupt the first time someone got degloved.

I think I'd rather go flying and dash my brains out on the pavement in that circumstance tbh.