Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

withak posted:

Good news everyone: the robot was in no danger.

Hey it's pretty likely the kid would of broken the robots fingers if it tried to cheat.

That's just like how chess is played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Issue: Tesla car intentional runs over children.

Solution: When children are also driving tesla cars than does not occur. Issue is only that of lack of market situation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was. He's dead now.

And with the this recent developed AI Technology, Radio Labels can bring him back for an all new, all Manson written, Beach Boys album!!!

YAY!!!!!

(the kids today still like the Beach Boys and Charlies Manson right?)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wooo, look at this totally "not racist" thing people are using AI for now:

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1569635559223558145

Another wonderful use for technology!

Jesus, it's weird that the 80s cyberpunk writers weren't somehow weren't pessimistic enough about what a tech dystopia future would actually be like.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think twitter is just unique enough that any attempt to move from it will require the next platform to function almost exactly the same.

Honestly you could say on a technical level it functionally pretty similar too facebook wall posts, just with less features and a word limit. Sure people use it differently but it's just people posting and people commenting on posts, with stuff organised by search/tags rather than threads or whatever.

It's main popularity seems to just be because it was really simple, and back in the day it was the easiest to phone post from.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

withoutclass posted:

Bring back Google+

no

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I mean sure. Okay. But it better earn that extra +

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Panfilo posted:

So what is Twitter's fate with Elon Musk at the helm? A lot of reactionaries are celebrating this transaction, but will it really go the way they think it is?

I hope he monetizes the gently caress out of the place. Freeze peach! For the low low price of $1.29 per word!

Yeah Guardian is reporting there is already been an up tick of racial slurs and Holocaust stuff on twitter, with people apparently testing the waters of what's going to be allowed.

But they also note if it gets bad, EU might look to start regulating all social media more.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2022/oct/28/elon-musk-bought-twitter-natwest-profits-economy-inflation-business-live

He's sunk a bit of money into this so I doubt he'd purposely try and sink it, but loving it up by trying to monetizes it to hell and seeing everyone leave definitely seems a distinct possibility.
Just montetizising blue ticks stuff might, as anyone who's built up a significant following has the most to lose by moving, but yeah for a lot of people moving from one social media to another isn't the biggest deal. Particularly if a whole bunch of people start moving at once. Which they will if it either becomes too nazi troll infested, or they have to enter their credit card details.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

When someone is inappropriately banned, they can pay a token fee (say £20) to have a human spend a few minutes reviewing the ban.

Not sure the £ is still considered legal tendered these days.

You'd probably want to charge actually money.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

It's worth slightly more than the dollar

Okay Mr. Sunak, we believe you. (wink, wink)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I've been using Apple's TruTone for so long that sometimes I wonder just what the hell my photos look like when other people view them without it.

I mean with printed stuff you can at least do a test print. When you're working with digital photo's/video and doing colour stuff, there is just a whole bunch of crap involved. If you don't 100% know what sort of display(s) it's going to be viewed on best advice is just make sure everything is within "safe" ranges and check on a bunch of different screens when you're done if you can.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Honestly I’d hate to be in such an unstable situation as an employee, but it’s pretty clear that Twitter, of all the large tech companies, most needs a kick up its rear end. Looking at all this from the outside is pretty fascinating.

Does it? There's literally dozens of social media companies barely hanging on. Suddenly charging for a, lets be honest, pretty minimal service, that used to free?

Particularly when that service seems like it's about to become a lot worse as looks like they're going to be scaling down even the small amount of moderation they had.

Like Twitter fills a niche for some business and what not, but in such a minimal way, it's pretty easy to see people move on from it pretty quick.

Twitter's a large'ish social media company that seems to make around billion a year for not doing very much. Feel like by changing everything so rapidly they're really killing the goose that lazy the golden egg here.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

I am not a finance guy but I still don't understand why any lender would put money up for Elon buying Twitter at a far too high value. It's so obviously a bad move.

The only way it makes sense is if lenders can recoup from Elon personally, but I don't think that's the case.

Because the lenders are charging a very larger amount of interest? Not sure if we 100% know the details of the loans and how much Musk is personal on the line for them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Morrow posted:

It's going to their personal email... because they're going to immediately get frozen out. With no opportunity or incentive to pass on any individual knowledge.

The living will envy the dead.

If Musk wasn't smart enough to lock down access to most of the important code/server stuff soon after sending this email, guess lot of people gonna have a busy night.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Realistic I don't see Twitter going bankrupt for at least another two year at the earliest.

Now in that two years it may and probably will stumble along like a drunken toddler, hemorrhaging money everywhere, but just with how much money was put into it and Musk not being the only investor, I can see more money shoveled into the garbage fire, if only to save face.

But yeah 100% would not want to be someone working there at that time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So what's the odds of offices actually re-opening on Nov 21'st.

Also be fun to watch twitter crumble over the next couple of days. I wonder how many people elons still letting have any sort of access to the code, or is he gonna be the only one way, just sitting back as idiot king, with tens of thousands of unattended errors bleeping away in the background.

Oh by the by, when does the world cup start? before than?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
https://twitter.com/nitashatiku/status/1593399704636620800

lol.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

drat it's been almost 2 years since this post? Feels like it was made only yesterday.

Yeah... but I mean we all knew he was going to wreck the place, but this loving quick? Seriously feels like he's going for a speedrun record at the moment or something.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

But yeah, something as big as the blue bird isn't going to crash immediately when left without a stock of engineers. It's going to fall apart gradually like a decrepit house. Like more posts will either see the fail whale or just not post at all. Retrieving tweets will result in more "tweet not found" errors leading people to believe that their posts are deleted.

In I believe the elon thread someone link to a post something from one of the main software engineers on the backend who had left, where they said basically Twitter at the moment had been set up for a lot of the standard failures -sever suddenly doing odd stuff or whatever-, and do a lot of automatic troubleshooting, and rerouting of traffic to other parts that are working.

That's meant to be a very simple tool just to keep thing running while people have enough time to actually have a good look at what happened. Side effect though even drastically short staffed Tweeter has enough good automation to keep the lights on for quite a while. It's gonna be the gradually rot that broad troubleshooting isn't designed to check on that will cause all the issue.

I mean unless something really bad happens. End of the day highly complex system, no one really knows 100% for sure, can only make best guesses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Well Musk has hired street fighters, so you need similar talent to win.

Ah excellent. Haven't seen a good old knife fight on the court floor in quite a while!
drat lawyers these days always trying to hard to be smart and all, overthinking things, using words and laws instead of fisticuffs and knives.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing tech has done to really bother me at work is making to it to where at least half my day is moving work through spreadsheets, editing job orders, making notes and messaging and emailing people all the time. All of this stuff is supposed to streamline the process but, over the last decade or so, it's become total overkill and seem inefficient.

I'll spend maybe half my time doing the actual real work and the rest documenting it or trying to clean out my inbox and messages.

I mean I think this depends a lot on management and the type of work you're doing.

Like I know there's some projects I've worked on that are like that, but others have been simple simple with just maybe a few emails and maybe a call through a normal day, and all work being done on documents in a share drive whole team had access too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also that, oh "we implemented that feature in five minutes".

Like the gently caress, you don't want to test it first, have one or two eyes go over it? Have a bit of a chat with people in other groups who work on parts of the site the feature might affect?

No, okay. Well sure that's all going to work out fine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Microsoft is looking to create X, the everything app

I'm sure that this will not be seen as anti-competitionary behaviour by USA and EU like the previous times that Microsoft has done it.

Also:

quote:

Microsoft executives wanted the app to boost the company’s multibillion-dollar advertising business and Bing search, as well as draw more users to Teams messaging and other mobile services.

This has just never worked. Who the gently caress uses bing. Who even uses edge. Like edge is actually a pretty decent browsers, people still don't really uses it. There is a hell of a reputational hump that MS needs to get over and just dumping a new app out there as execs won't more money isn't going to do it.

I mean thing thing is, in the business/IT world MS has a sort of semi decent reputation now. In gaming world with stuff like gamepass, same. Possibly some of it is as a lot of other IT companies have been seemingly getting worse, but MS does seem to have a pretty okay reputation in those groups now days.

with online shopping and search and amongst average consumes, like what the hell is going to get people away from google and amazon? It's not even like they can outspend them as they both vaguely as big, but both have the advantage of specializing in those fields, and having far better reputations in them as well. Unless they have any other ideas for this other than a super generic platform this is just gonna be burning money.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

Southland Tales changed a lot of people...

For the better? Please say for the better?

:ohdearsass:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

truly it's cars that are loving us all :smith:

Indeed, the more breeds of dogs that destroy them the better.

Some day we shall learn, some day.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has there been any numbers on how many people have actually migrated to Mastodon. Seems another thing that's holding it back is every time musk does something particularly stupid and whole bunch of people decide to finally leave twitter, the larger Mastodon instances can't really handle the that large an amount of sign ups at once and everything apparently slows down to a crawl, which isn't exactly the best first impression for new users.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

abelwingnut posted:

how is firefox these days?

Not great but not the worst.

Getting beaten by edge is a bit embarrassing. Surprised that Chrome has such a lead. I assume a lot of android phones use it by default.

Edit: (also just saw around 1.23% of people apparently still use yahoo search. lol)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 22, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sinky posted:

Then laugh harder when they decide to throw away the single advantage they have over other browsers.

That's like the go to move for seemingly every software/it service company.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Edge doesn't care if you're using edge purely out of pity just as long as you're using it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look the easiest Solution for the "snow" problem is just remove the snow form the equation. Some sort of automated flame thrower on the front of the car should be able to do this reasonably acceptably for about the needed twenty of or so foot in front.

Look honestly this is such a simple solution I'm not sure why it isn't already the standard!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Celexi posted:

You could make something go on a guided rail, with giant fans and plowers in front that keep the road that has those "rails " clear and people could board a bunch pof long cars on the rails to take them along.

While you're solution seems like it is "practical" and would "work efficiently and as intended". I feel like it may be better to go in a different direction with this.

Nebrilos posted:

No need to deal with snow or bad weather or children in the tunnels elon will dig under all of our roads/highways. Tunnels are the future. Narrow tunnels with single-occupancy cars in them.

Now here's an idea! Can the cars still have flamethrowers? AKA "Mobile projected combustion lanterns"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OddObserver posted:

Setting aside the dubiousness of the whole idea of talking to an AI representation of a historical figure, the particular choice of figures is just... why? What good could ever come from that?

If I were cynical I would say to get an article like the one above written for free advertising?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of the social media management peoples for brands and what not use third party apps to keep track of all that poo poo?

I know that used to be the case like a decade ago not sure about now. If so I can imagine quite a few brands that were on the fence about staying on will just say gently caress it.

I mean normally I'd say that would make a social media platform better, less brands, but I mean twitters circling the drain so much it's mostly just funny.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I know I'll never escape gmail as I had 10'000+ unread emails a decade ago in my inbox and I can only assume it's grown since than.

One day I'll read them all, one day!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

The state of the industry is such that upper management is pretty much desperate to come up with new ideas to pitch to investors, and they don't place a very high importance on how feasible those ideas are.

Or if the ideas are actually any good or not. See ideas being pitched including the hot new tech of the day to solve problems that it's not good for. like selling banks on blockchain even though you know they're a bank and should already have know how to keep a bloody ledger. Big data solving everything was a popular one a couple of years ago I believe.

I would imagine there is a whole bunch of pitches involving AI solving everything are probably happening at the moment.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

a strange fowl posted:

my chatbot therapist told me i can get closure by open honest communication with chatbot hitler, so i paid my 500 coins and chatbot hitler told me the holocaust was a mistake and he regrets it, and that is how ai saved my mental health

Pretty sure your chatbot therapist was CHATBOT HITLER!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Karia posted:

But Chatbot Hitler is basically identical to normal Chatbot! It's going to be impossible to tell them apart!

Can we like draw a H on chatbot hitlers forhead so we can tell him apart from other chatbots????

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

Any legal experts want to chime in on the legality of this asinine plan?
TLDR DoNotPay wants to stick an earpiece in some poor schmuck and have it argue his traffic case for him.

Does the judge seeing the case know about this? possibly because it's such a low stakes case and it's basically just advise to someone representing themselves, they won't care, but the judge caring will be the main thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m definitely not a legal expert, especially that of the U.S., but I think that doing the same in Latvia would get you disbarred faster than you can say “AI”.

I think it's just someone representing themself. I guess the worst a judge could do is give them a contempt of court charge if they don't cut it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

No. But I tied an onion to my belt.

Cost me five bees.

Five bees, sorry but you got ripped off. No one pays more than two bees for a belt onion these days, old timer.