Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mourning Due posted:

Imagine having all that money, and still being such a thin skinned lil' bitch 😆 the mind boggles.

I'm just amazed he's jumping on NPR and PBS' turf with the "for one cup of coffee" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When I bought my last car, I spent about a grand getting reversing sensors. I barely even pay attention to them any more because I also spent :10bux: buying a reversing mirror like this which works so much better:

Hey I wanted to PM you about that mirror but couldn't. How well do they work at night? I wanted something like that for my older car and felt it was overkill to install a rear camera and head unit that would work with one.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was surprised by that side-effect for a Parkinson's drug. My father and my father-in-law both had it and died from complications involved with it. The typical problem with all their drugs was it made them kind of schizophrenic.

My father-in-law would sometimes ask his wife if there was somebody standing out in the yard and that would be that. My father had it worse with the "top hat man" that would come up and grab him. loving terrifying.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah my experience with the H1B crowd is they put down in the apartment right next to the job. They're not tied down to a house because they don't want that boat anchor if they have to leave the country.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Severe lack of swan song jokes about this. I'm very disappointed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I agree with what people are saying about there being some hardiness to Twitter, but I am reminded of that DNS screwup that knocked out all of Facebook's stuff for six hours about a year ago. That was at a place that still had some employees that could react to stuff. I really can't imagine Twitter rebounding from something like that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey, some features don't need that much rigor to deploy. I think they could replace the Twitter logo with a swastika in five minutes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought Buzzfeed pioneered ADHD video. I guess they didn't pioneer ADHD^2 video.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tayter Swift posted:

As someone who's lived in Sacramento all their driving live and has never driven anywhere near snow, what in tarnation are you all talking about

Don't you get a flake of snow soaking into the ground every year or two that causes every even car to smash into every odd car?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you ordered the cologne yourself online then a tracking cookie could have gotten its mitten on it and its appearance is more of a coincidence. Stuff likes to advertise things I just bought back at me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Motronic posted:

That's......something else.

And likely 100% ineffective. You really think there's a physical switch that is interrupting wiring to the mic in your headphone jack? There's a physical switch alright, but it's just pulling a pin low on a controller so the software can know when to do something different.

I imagine a particularly malicious attacker could do whatever they want and I think there is an API to select a whatever microphone so somebody could code it to just use the built-in. However, I also think it would work for most of these apps. It's a "do not attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetent malice" kind of thing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
John Carmack's thing read like just about any Old Tech Manifesto I've seen in my corporate life and that 5% read like it was about organizational efficiency. That also fits in to every other Old Tech Manifesto I've had to read. Where things are different is I don't think Adrian wants to go back technologically to the way things were done in 1997.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 18, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I hosed up my Carmacks. They both worked at Id Software. Not actually related. Adrian did art.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CmdrRiker posted:

A very responsibility avoidant email. "I see so much potential in this tech, but the reason why it has been failing under my watch is because no one can work together good enough under draconian leadership. Good luck, peace out."

I am probably projecting my own big corporate experiences onto it. I imagined there was this whole corporate hierarchy with a lot of transplanted people. In the big tree of managers and groups, they probably slapped him on to some upper manager as a barnacle and expected him to do meetings and email all day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
While in realms of alternatives, I recently discovered I can do messaging for my Android account using messages.google.com. I'm usually at the computer machine during my work day and it's much easier to manage that stuff from there versus people sending me random-rear end links on the phone and then thumb typing everything. I've been reaching out to people more since it's less of a drag.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It doesn't have to even be that petty. Basing on my own megacorp experience, they can be so organizationally distant that you get more efficient interaction with other companies than between the two teams.

When I have to do planning for some stuff, I basically double the overall time for each level of separation in the organization to account for risk and volatility. Same manager? That's 2x. Same second level? 4x. Same fourth level? 16x so symbolically ask but assume zero help.

Lately this has been subverted as I get higher than that though. It's something like up to the 4th level, everybody still recognizes some of the names and stuff stays political. After that, you are strangers and have to just be professional, which turns out more efficiently than even cases where everybody in the hierarchy were friends.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmmm so that data center shutdown. Was that what he spun around on Christmas Eve to unplug?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was curious about how the "20 minute walk" compared to the time it took to take that tunnel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't wait in a few years where a YouTube video comes up in my feed for an SCP-like horror game set in the tunnel. You have to walk through it while avoiding the craze Elonmonster in underpants that is hunting you down.

You know, I'm mashing around in Unity a bit . . .

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

Feels like a great example of small dick energy

It's turbopetty gilded age billionaire poo poo. If you worked at a law firm that sued him, even if you weren't directly involved, your name was added to a list, they'd get a picture of you, and then set up their system to recognize you and kick you out if you went to Madison Square Garden for something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I heard (maybe from Linus himself in a keynote last May) that git's bizarre UX was a side-effect of mimicking Bitkeeper's UX without trying to get sued. That was the tool the kernel was using before git. Bitkeeper for manual operations was great but Bitkeeper was getting itchy with people reverse engineering it to do more sophisticated operations for stuff like automation.

I have not used Bitkeeper so I don't even know if that passes the smell test.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

hobbesmaster posted:

Chat GPT feels a lot like the ”Chinese room” thought experiment. It’s handing you back what kinda looks right without any real understanding.

Of course the next question is if that’s “all” our brains are doing as well.

Yeah I always thought the Chinese Room was a copout. As if having the translation book in our actual heads is what makes us real for some reason.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MonikaTSarn posted:

I was terribly disappointed when I found out Robot Wars is just remote controlled. Would be much more interesting with actual combat AI.

This is going waaaay back in my brain and good luck finding it for real, but I remember watching a news article about a team making an attempt at a fully autonomous one in the early 2000s. I assume that was for BattleBots. In order to have enough view of the arena, it was rather tall. I don't think it even won one round. I assume it just got knocked over from one of the million wedges people were using at the time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
When I first saw it, I was figuring whoever was behind it decided to rip off their mask. Now I'm not really sure:

Replicant Jerry Seinfeld posted:

So, this is my standup set in a club. There's, like, 50 people here, and no one is laughing. Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking about doing a bit about being transgender is actually a mental illness . . . or how all liberals are secretly gay and want to impose their will on everyone. Or something about how transgender people are ruining the fabric of our society. But no one is laughing.

Within the subcontext of literally what's being said, he's spewing hate, but it's a hypothetical and it's wrapped around him saying nobody is laughing. I could see a real person trying to do that in a well-meaning way, although I'd expect them to get in poo poo for trying. I wouldn't even be mad at the reaction; if it were my friend, I'd have told them that they really hosed up. But I can also see a shithead trying to dance around in that hypothetical to say whatever disgusting poo poo they want.

So I guess I'm saying it was bad but there are levels here that the can't be shaken out with the text-to-speech, and I wonder if there was anything else happening before/after or if this was kind of a non-sequitur.

I still wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't somebody would take over the chair, pulling the levers with one hand, and pulling their mask off with the other.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

shoeberto posted:

MBA types have no real ideas or skills so they re-arrange the chairs to prove to their bosses that they're doing something.

The classic I have seen I have heard called "the washing machine." Turn vertical teams into horizontal teams and vice versa. It just tumbles the organization all at once.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kestral posted:

or to introduce into a reddit / [insert appropriate community here] search in pairs or trios to find comparisons.

That's pretty funny because I saw that in this article posted earlier:

People are tacking on reddit to their searches so they have a greater chance of getting something generated by a human.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have not had a gaming console since streaming really even was a thing so hearing about those shenanigans really makes me sad.

Ruffian Price posted:

It really felt weird in 2017 when I put a game into the console and it just... launched

What? Like, did it launch it straight across the room or something?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do we know what that valuation is in terms of Hitlers? How many Hitlers is that?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyte posted:

Dwarf Fortress has demonstrated it's entirely possible to make a game that's 100% procedurally generated, but each step of that procgen was specifically tailored to its task.

If we went with the original full name of the game (Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress) and it had an AI Armok having a blast at your expense, you bet people would play the poo poo out of it.

Edit: of course there wouldn't be resources to run it because those would be taken up simulating blades of grass.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 9, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The upper left one looks like one hell of a pizza party. Wonder if I could make a fun avatar off of that panning around the picture and freezing on the pizza or something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BiggerBoat posted:

That was my first thought. I went to art school and learning to draw hands and eyes/noses, faces were practically their own separate courses of study. Quite difficult to get right. Hands just have so many bones and poses. Faces are hard because everyone thinks of the eyes as ovals, the nose as a triangle and the mouth as a flattened football with a line through it. People draw lines around the shapes that they identify those things as being shaped.

Ah poo poo. THis is the tech thread. On topic:

I am not the arbiter of what is or isn't on topic but the finger problem is at least interesting to me as a tech problem and seeing it gently caress it up is kind of a nightmare of its own kind. I wanted to ask you on particular if you feel the actual render of fingers is particularly bad. I know it's loving it up when I see a hand with twelve fingers in particular.

I was theorizing the model somehow knows hands have fingers like grapes are made up of grapes and just kind of goes to town on it or something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

steckles posted:

This turned into more of an effort post than I intended.

It was some good stuff though. I can see why people talk about The Chinese Room Argument with this stuff much more. I guess we are still far from generating something and then having it explaining the intricacies of the pictures (?).

The compression is pretty interesting too. Hearing about reducing models to under an MB and still having something that can write stories makes me wonder how the OpenAI audio project has been going. You could prompt it with something and it would "make up" music.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't really say. I'm just kind of reminded of the old story of Diogenes sabotaging Socrates' definition of a human as a "featherless biped" by plucking the feathers off a bird and flaunting it around as a person. If I set the terms, I'll get put on my rear end pretty quickly. I was thinking after I responded that you could probably get the existing technology to render a 7-fingered person and then be perfectly fine to describe how the person has fingers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh. How did it go with the visuals?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat we passwords for Stranger Danger as kids and now we need passwords for deepfakes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Maybe? Somebody must of thought you were making GBS threads on a goon in-thread or something, but I have no idea which poster that could have even been. I'm kind of lost on the discussion now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought the dog poster was one of the Twitter accounts so I am really confused. Like, I don't know who was talking about what due to that. Did somebody think they were getting dunked and reported it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
European brands with inline water heaters like Bosch also let you use all racks like they are the top rack. They don't need a heating element that can destroy plastic stuff.

I suspect any smart device's error report to devolve to "you need a licensed tech to fix this and I am going to be a brick until one shows up and uses their proprietary whatever to clear me."

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My LG washer plays the stage clear music from the NES Jackal game. Makes me wanna grab up some hand grenades and go rescue some prisoners in some cabins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HelloSailorSign posted:

The reverse is more of a parent who is deeply traumatized by the real life loss of a child and then immerses themselves into a virtual environment where their re-created kid learns and grows while the parent withdraws from reality, pretending everything is fine.
I think I know people on Facebook that are basically doing this.