Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FilthyImp posted:

Ben Garrison just got diamond hard for some reason.

Nah it's the drawing someone did of an extremely muscular Marx, this is normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wikipedia was started at a time when there were still articles being written about how this "internet fad" will pass, but many people were actually starting to treat the internet as more than a novelty. There were clumsy attempts at political manipulation, but the biggest visible headache for anyone was spam about c1alis and pop-unders. Goatse.cx hadn't been taken down yet. There was a lot of doom posting about how anyone would manipulate it and make it nothing more than monkeys screeching at each other and reverting people's articles, but it was still a time where the worst thing you had to worry about was some trolling brigading.

Another big difference is that Wikipedia was specifically started to be a repository of the world's knowledge. This is Twitter trying to outsource moderation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cicero posted:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...-can-comprehend

I appreciate the fact that gaben is way more up front with the potentially horrifying implications of new technology than other tech leaders.

Same, I'm glad that we can continue to expand as a species on why computers were a mistake

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gaj posted:

Thats how they have no commissions, they just sell the data.

Apparently it mainly comes from getting a kickback from whoever actually executes the trade because they get to saddle the buys and sells and make their money in the middle. Sell for $30.80, buy for $31, extra $0.20 goes to them. So, technically, you're still paying a commission, it's just baked into the price at execution.

The data doesn't hurt though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

withak posted:

“Hey Siri, put it in reverse.”

“Hey Siri put it in park.”

Ok, playing One Step Closer by Linkin Park

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Good luck getting fiber laid to aircraft and ships.

Good luck getting fiber laid to apartment buildings when the local telecoms are fat and happy with monopoly pricing already.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I hope to one day be described as an "esteemed shitposter" though I know the reality is that I just make lovely posts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

xtal posted:

The idea of wearing a sweater and jeans might have been endearing, compared to IBM suits. That's why everyone dresses down lately. But as far as wearing the same outfit every day, the only people who have tried that since are Zuckerberg and Holmes. All three have come to be seen as grifters and extremely goofy, to put it in non-ableist terms.

Despite being an rear end in a top hat, an occasional idiot, and at all times a marketer, Jobs definitely wasn't a grifter. He did actually steer Apple into massive amounts of money instead of being a sinking also-ran OS. A lot of it was screaming at designers to make things extremely perfect and bending reality to his own will, but it definitely paid off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Tech dresses down because they (we) are youth obsessed and need to play up looking like children so you'll believe they're cutting edge.
The best code is made by college drop outs!

Tech dresses down because no one is customer facing except for the sales people (who dress up), and there's no reason to dress up otherwise. The dress code is "wear clothes", aside from that no one really cares for the most part. exceptions may apply for women due to the lovely reality of our world regardless

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

The techbro dress code is emphatically not just "wear clothes." Just like every other human endeavor, clothes are used to communicate who's part of the in-group and who's part of the out-group, and used by people to flex on each other.

I am being 100% serious when I say you wouldn't want to be the person showing up in a hoodie and Allbirds to a "sport coat over a vintage Atari t-shirt with designer jeans and $250 sneakers" event.

I guess I misunderstood. If you mean "The techbro dress code for investor meetings" then yeah, I'm sure you need to go with expensive faux college student bullshit to project an image.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

OK, sure, let's set aside the investors-and-C-levels side of things, and just talk about the engineering organizations.

Try showing up for a few west coast tech interviews in a conservative business suit. You will very quickly learn that there's a dress code, and it's not "just wear clothes."

Ok? I'm on the east coast so it's not the same, but people interviewing in conservative business outfits for engineering jobs at my tech company absolutely happens. While I can't speak for other interviewers I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at someone deciding that it's better to come over dressed than under, just in case. It's been the same for everywhere I've worked.

Regional differences? :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah here's tech nightmare material:

https://kjzz.org/content/1660988/whistleblowers-software-bug-keeping-hundreds-inmates-arizona-prisons-beyond-release

Arizona state prisons replaced their tracking software, and it's bugged to hell, with direct consequences for inmates.

Arizona: :airquote: "Oooooops!" :airquote:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Alphabet ditches smart city plan in Portland one month after cancelling their internet balloons. And after cancelling vertical farming project and zeppelin cargo ship and buying and then promptly selling Boston Dynamics.

Almost as if "Tech" is mostly about finding use cases for the internet and the SV brain trust struggle whenever they stray from away that.

It's mainly been throwing a whole lot of spaghetti at the wall in the hopes that the strand that sticks will be worth Billions. These aren't completely meritless ideas; Loon was started 10 years before Starlink, when costs for satellite launch and usage would be prohibitive and DirectTV was already cratering to prove a concrete example. But, Starlink is going to be here soon, and likely at a price and position that would beat Loon, so no sense throwing good money after bad. There are certainly bad ideas but these weren't objectively bad ones at the time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's such a top to bottom terrible idea it's hard to imagine how anyone supporting it could have any goal besides corporate sovereignty completely beyond the reach of nation states.

They don't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aramis posted:

I really wish there was a good Hacker News alternative out there.

As a news/blog aggregator, it's the only one that I know of that hits just the right level of technical depth and news coverage for me, but the comment sections are some of the worst out there. To make matters worse, there's regularly some insightful information by actual knowledgeable people to complement/counteract whatever is posted. I keep glancing at that drat techbro cesspit because there's a 50/50 chance of it being either worthwhile or infuriating.

Schrodinger's Neckbeard

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doordash Presents: Publik Policy Kids Korner

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

adoration for none posted:

I think there should be a law that bans corporations from pushing or encouraging their employees to support or oppose legislation, candidates, or other political positions.

VVV yeah, but this just feels like some kind of illegal.

It's not. It's only illegal if it specifically says "vote this way and donate money or we will fire you" instead of "dat's a nice job there, it would be a shame if prop 12345 were to get passed and force us to leave the state." The first amendment and an EXTREMELY permissive set of court rulings means that anything more than explicitly breaking the law is fine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Baronash posted:

An art speculator, a graphic artist, and a blockchain walk into a bar:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts/design/nft-auction-christies-beeple.html

Someone paid almost $70 million to own a unique chuck-e-cheese token representing a collage of freely-distributed artwork.

They "paid" in ethereum, so I'm perfectly willing to accept that this was done as a money laundering scheme of some kind.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

How long until someone realizes that due to how expensive actual bitcoin / ethereum / whatever transactions are, simply having a stored valid site is actually more efficient, similar to how bitcoin is now?

Digital Christie's exchange except that they abscond with your pretend art ownership instead of bitcoins this time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hargrimm posted:

The craziest thing for me to find out what that the token doesn't even contain like the binary data of the JPG in question or anything, literally just a link to the file's URL. Which means if whoever hosts http://www.suckershq.com/verygoodart.jpg ever takes the file down or doesn't bother to renew the domain registration eventually, the token is then just pointing to literally nothing.

Imagine if when da Vinci's original studio got demolished to build apartments or whatever, that caused the Mona Lisa to revert to an empty frame.

Gentlemen, I have for you today at this auction an authentic goatse.cx. and, if that were not exciting enough, it is hello.jpg

*Audience excitedly murmurs*

Shall we start the bidding at one hundred butts?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 18, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

CIA asking Tesla to drive a whistleblower into a lake/off a bridge/into a semi-truck after accelerating to 150.

I thought we had instances of that at already though not with Tesla

adoration for none posted:

Move over Information Age, it's the Age of Grift

E: Griformation?

Gilded Age 2.021

E:

How are u posted:

This is absolutely wretched, what the gently caress? They know exactly how toxic this poo poo is for adults and they want to do it anyway.

... yes?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

My plan is to make life difficult for the workers so they complain about having to pick up after the drat thing.

You realize that making their employees miserable would just endear it even further to management, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally a way to solve gun violence in America, a race of robot life forms designed only for being shot at when people are angry instead of shooting real people.

Wouldn't work unless those robots actually had realistic chances of having a life as good or better than them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I didn't think you could ever huff a fart this large but here we are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

The guy that ran Nokia into the dirt (Stephen Elop) before the buyout used to work for Microsoft before that too.
Then after Nokia was a burnt out husk was rehired by MS.

This is the guy who dunked on Android when it launched, saying that OEMs who use it are like children peeing on themselves to keep warm in the snow, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Looking forward to the worst cyber world.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doing data entry on a terminal based system that's still running the 80s mainframe software, while using my computer monocular, sounds like exactly what we have to look forward to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I would say that it's only going to happen if people can get a computer with VR support without having to pay a premium. But, given the ever larger shift towards mobile, it's more likely that we'll have an iPhone with wireless display transmission of a good enough fidelity, backed by a graphics chipset that can handle doing it, and that will be what tips it over. It will be that picture of Zuckerberg walking past an audience with VR headsets, except it will be Cook, walking on a carpet made of hundos sewn together.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

Google glass would have been really awesome if it could link to motorcycles, so you can have a headup display while riding, imo

I borrowed a friend's Glass briefly, and the compelling use case (before Android Auto or Carplay came out) was the Maps integration. Having the route available on a HUD was pretty amazing. Having an actual OBD2 integration into it would have been amazing.

I know all the "Glasshole" stuff came out but honestly I thought it was an amazing product concept that was just before its time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Motronic posted:

More than corvettes. This is literally well understood automotive technology. That, once again, nobody really wants. It's been possible but not desired by many consumers for well over a decade.

In the end, it's a neat toy for the right kind of person. The mass market in general is not interested in this poo poo at all.

Are these toys for the right kind of person able to be retrofitted into other cars without requiring a special windshield or anything? Because "I've wanted this for a very, very long time" only begins to cover my interest and I will gladly and humbly prostrate to any AI thread that tells me how this can be done.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Motronic posted:

I really doubt it, but I don't know because almost no one cares. A lot of this is GM parts bin technology, so "I really doubt it" goes to "probably with some effort" if you're trying to do this to a GM vehicle. Same with the Volvo parts bin but that's harder.

You don't need a special windshield necessarily.....most of the ones I can think of right now has a film layer put on that particular area of the windshield. So maybe that's a thing you can get? The real problem is going to be integrating OEM projectors with whatever car you happen to own.

It would be a lot easier to buy a high spec GM car or a soccer mom high trim level Volvo SUV.

The last time I looked into this was about 5 years ago, but it looks like the internet actually has me covered here.

How to Build a Heads-Up Display for Your Car

There's also a few third party ones but they'll only display a few things, or have Android Auto interaction. The Arduino one, however, I can modify to use a better display, or hook up a raspi to.

:stoked:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Motronic posted:

Made? My wife's not very old toyota costs over $500 between the "part" they make you buy and the labor to update the satnav in it. And it's a piece of poo poo compared to Waze or google maps. Paying way too much money to update lovely systems is very must still a thing.

Weird that the public doesn't don't want it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I was making a riff on the fact that phone based nav is effectively free, while you still have to pay significantly more including in ongoing support to have it be built into the car. Having a HUD actually built in rather than being some goober dongle you attach with Velcro and connect with an OBD2 dongle would be a significantly better option, but was locked away on luxury trims, as was satnav. With the surface area available to attach a GPS antenna, and continuous improvements to the technology to handle gps signals along with computing power, a dedicated effort to provide even mid level vehicles with good satnav could have been a differentiator. But, no, the public must not want it, because they don't care, not because we use garbage hardware and buy the cheapest tbt nav option we can find, and charge out the wazoo, in perpetuity.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm aware of regulatory reasons to delay things, but this is a dumb as hell derail and I'll concede the point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought HUDs were becoming mandatory because they've been billed as safety features.

IIRC rear view cameras are, but HUDs definitely are not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

No, I don't. Is there an haveIbeenPwned for numbers?

If there is, it's going to just be a static site with "YES" in 72pt impact font.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's also questions of risk tolerance. They may be aware that something like Ring is a garbage heap sledding down a hill of burning turds, but think that it's still worth it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And ironically we'd never have gotten this important decision if Google had bothered to pay Sun.

gdi, post not edit

Yeah, to pile on to the people above, the original judge actually bothered to learn programming well enough to confirm that the optional conclusion was going to be the most obvious conclusion in most cases, so it isn't reasonable to assume copying.

Sun was, AIUI, actually pretty chill about the whole situation (perhaps to their detriment). The legal issues only started once Oracle bought them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

From the Dystopia thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gort posted:

It allows you to show off that you're so rich you can waste gigantic amounts of money on stupid poo poo and suffer no consequences.

Buying useful things just can't do that for you.

Buddy, have I got a warship sized yacht to sell you.

Gnossiennes posted:

at least beanie babies also function as actual physical toys for children

NFTs also function as fraudulent vehicles for money laundering, don't pretend they're completely worthless either!