Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

As a linguist that has done phonemic distinction studies I am not sure that the average person/brain would mistake "kilojoules" for "kill jews".

The brain absolutely does "bridge gaps" when there is missing or distorted input, but the transition frequencies in those words, plus the extra vowel sound in "kilojoules", make them way too different for a native speaker to mistake or for the brain to mistake baring an unusual accent or garbled sound sample.

All signs point to poorly trained and/or racist AI.

A more plausible confusion is “kill all jews”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tuxedo Gin posted:

As a linguist that has done phonemic distinction studies I am not sure that the average person/brain would mistake "kilojoules" for "kill jews".

The brain absolutely does "bridge gaps" when there is missing or distorted input, but the transition frequencies in those words, plus the extra vowel sound in "kilojoules", make them way too different for a native speaker to mistake or for the brain to mistake baring an unusual accent or garbled sound sample.

This is an interesting topic. There's a british tv magician type guy named Derren Brown who deals mostly in NLP. One of his big two-hour shows on TV culminated with throwing out 5 newspapers from the morning, and intentionally tricking people into picking a certain word from a certain article on a certain page by, among other things, changing a sing word in sentences he says throughout the show. The listener just assumes he meant to say what he meant to say in the context of the sentence, but the changed words become subconscious instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtbswz_mXw

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am harry posted:

This is an interesting topic. There's a british tv magician type guy named Derren Brown who deals mostly in NLP. One of his big two-hour shows on TV culminated with throwing out 5 newspapers from the morning, and intentionally tricking people into picking a certain word from a certain article on a certain page by, among other things, changing a sing word in sentences he says throughout the show. The listener just assumes he meant to say what he meant to say in the context of the sentence, but the changed words become subconscious instructions.

Interesting. Similarly I became interested in the power of NLP when I saw this documentary about people using it to literally kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFjRnDiP0U

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The speaker in this case does have a somewhat thick accent. Her most common pronunciation of "joules" is "juice" but sometime she slurs her letters and ends up with "jews"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

i am harry posted:

Isn't Darren Brown's stuff almost entirely traditional magic and sleight of hand disguised as NLP? I don't know about this trick in particular, but there's been tons of tricks of his where he's wrapped up a normal trick in a bunch of NLP claims.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Expectation plays a huge role in how humans understand speech, in that something like "kill Jews" and "kilojoules" are very close to one other in terms of how they are spoken, and the reason our brain understands one or the other is based hugely on context. Obviously they do sound different, but if someone said "Hitler wanted to kilojoules" your brain would bridge the gap, because that's a nonsensical thing to say as written, and we know that both consciously and subconsciously.

Given that we know this is the case, the question, in my mind, is: to what degree are AIs biased one way or the other, and why? If we are talking about the distinction between "gay electrons" and "gain electrons" or "kilojoules" and "kill Jews", are AIs coming up wrong because they are biased toward the incorrect interpretation, or because they simply lack a bias toward the correct interpretation and have no sense of words that make sense together in context and those which do not?

It's an interesting research question, but in either case we should be deeply disturbed.

Yes, I know how a pun works, thank you.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

enki42 posted:

Isn't Darren Brown's stuff almost entirely traditional magic and sleight of hand disguised as NLP? I don't know about this trick in particular, but there's been tons of tricks of his where he's wrapped up a normal trick in a bunch of NLP claims.

Yeah even if you take his explanation at face value and grant him magical NLP powers, there are a dozen different ways someone could have not heard his suggestions, or misinterpreted his suggestions, or not realized where they were supposed to apply his suggestions, and he would have spent the last half hour of his show doing a trick that went completely tits up.

Having never seen him though, it's a really neat presentation worth watching though imo, it starts about 50 minutes into that video!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Derren is great, but it's not NLP, like one of the posters said before it's all traditional magic techniques.

For example the girl guessing the padlock number at the start of his final routine (53mins-ish in) is a perfect example of an instant stooge and dual realities. Derren is mouthing the numbers to her - it feels perfectly normal and not cheating to her because he's established that they're playing a game where she's seeing what it would be like to be psychic (plus from her perspective they haven't got to the trick yet), but to everybody else in the audience it looks like an impossible miracle. The rest of the trick is a book test.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 15, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Randomly came across this on youtube, think it fits the thread
https://youtu.be/vzV81Lh2vV4

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The speaker in this case does have a somewhat thick accent. Her most common pronunciation of "joules" is "juice" but sometime she slurs her letters and ends up with "jews"

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

i am harry posted:

I hope these people are killed, not mocked.

drat badass guy who believes in magic tricks

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

i am harry posted:

I find this NFT scam a very interesting example of capitalist business practices reaching and failing to overcome the inherent communistic nature of digital media, it pleases my vain hopes that Veblen was right

E: for those who roll their eyes at the mention of communism, in other words I like that this attempt to impose artificial scarcity on a post-scarcity resource is failing.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 16, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

adoration for none posted:

I find this NFT scam a very interesting example of capitalist business practices reaching and failing to overcome the inherent communistic nature of digital media, it pleases my vain hopes that Veblen was right

E: for those who roll their eyes at the mention of communism, in other words I like that this attempt to impose artificial scarcity on a post-scarcity resource is failing.

To be fair the average energy cost of 340 kWh per transaction is not exactly post-scarcity. But these things are definitely selling for more than the $50 or so that represents.

There's also a cost in the externality of the CO2 emitted.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be fair the average energy cost of 340 kWh per transaction is not exactly post-scarcity. But these things are definitely selling for more than the $50 or so that represents.

There's also a cost in the externality of the CO2 emitted.

Oh no, NTF is not post-scarcity at all, it's the attempt to impose scarcity. Kill it with fire.

E: and as you say, it's a pointless waste of resources to boot.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 16, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

blunt posted:

Derren is mouthing the numbers to her - it feels perfectly normal and not cheating to her because he's established that they're playing a game where she's seeing what it would be like to be psychic
He's not mouthing the numbers, he's signaling them with his fingers on her arm.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Mods?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1371467173059776514

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1371773624026333185

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Oh yeah I'm sure it was *definitely* a mistake. Oopsy!

A thread to discuss crypto could be interesting. The environmental affects alone have put me squarely into the "outlaw the poo poo" camp. Truly a cursed manifestation of all the wrongs of our society in the 21st century.

e: oh i thought this was uspol. this is probably the thread to discuss crypto!

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 16, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

How are u posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure it was *definitely* a mistake. Oopsy!

A thread to discuss crypto could be interesting. The environmental affects alone have put me squarely into the "outlaw the poo poo" camp. Truly a cursed manifestation of all the wrongs of our society in the 21st century.

e: oh i thought this was uspol. this is probably the thread to discuss crypto!

The GBS crypto thread is surprisingly not terrible.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I don't think NVIDIA is trying to nerf mining in order to sell more expensive hardware to miners. GPU's fly off the shelves regardless, and in an extreme demand situation the real value is captured by middlemen and scalpers.

I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong but BTC prices are destroying the PC gaming sphere right now and that is a high margin space for hardware manufacturers

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They're destroying pricing if you don't give up and just buy a PC off the shelf. If you're determined to do a custom build it's currently insane.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent most coinz mined from ASICs from pop up mining towns nex to hydro or coal plants.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

arent most coinz mined from ASICs from pop up mining towns nex to hydro or coal plants.

Anyone that can afford mass asic farms is targeting Bitcoin specifically, and increasingly Etherium as it starts to reach the difficulty where it's basically required.

Cards are still plenty capable for all the cheap garbage coins that may or may not become the next Etheriuim.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I do calling bitcoin poo poo as p much a second job, and this month has been busy on media appearances - and almost every one has been about "holy loving poo poo this bullshit makes so much CO2". so awareness is out there, and also this is really good news for bitcoin when you think about it,

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There's also a cost in the externality of the CO2 emitted

The post-scarcity refers to digital images. You can have as many copies of calm.jpg as you want without making it less available

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

divabot posted:

I do calling bitcoin poo poo as p much a second job, and this month has been busy on media appearances - and almost every one has been about "holy loving poo poo this bullshit makes so much CO2". so awareness is out there, and also this is really good news for bitcoin when you think about it,
Yeah that's a good point and I also have noticed a lot more people calling out the emissions and energy.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i can see this stuff being used as proof of authorship (and even then, there are simpler signing schemes) but the value in digital items is often in the ease of duplication and transfer. i can't understand the perceived value of owning the NFT. everything about NFTs confuses and enrages me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Delta-Wye posted:

i can see this stuff being used as proof of authorship (and even then, there are simpler signing schemes) but the value in digital items is often in the ease of duplication and transfer. i can't understand the perceived value of owning the NFT. everything about NFTs confuses and enrages me.

Look, if I can't prove I spent lots of money on nonsense, what is even the point of spending money on nonsense?

That, and the faint hope that I will eventually be able to convince someone to spend even more money on nonsense than I've done.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Delta-Wye posted:

It's like DMCA but somehow worse, really impressive feat ngl

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

It is worse in every way compared to the normal cryptographic signing methods everybody already uses when the goal is 'prove authorship' instead of 'find a bigger sucker'

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It actually seems like NFT has made the problem of piracy even worse because randos can make NFT tokens of your work without your permission and then try to profit off that and perhaps claim some imaginary non-legal control over your work.

The nightmare scenario would be that digital artists have to make NFT tokens to avoid such fraud and NFT becomes a literal rent-seeking parasite that nobody actually cares about but has to use anyway.

E: in other words it would be a self-justifying technology; its mere existence would require people to use it.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Non-fungible tokens are misnomers because they are 100% entirely fungible. Their value is that of any other media file, which is to say $0.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The craziest thing for me to find out what that the token doesn't even contain like the binary data of the JPG in question or anything, literally just a link to the file's URL. Which means if whoever hosts http://www.suckershq.com/verygoodart.jpg ever takes the file down or doesn't bother to renew the domain registration eventually, the token is then just pointing to literally nothing.

Imagine if when da Vinci's original studio got demolished to build apartments or whatever, that caused the Mona Lisa to revert to an empty frame.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hargrimm posted:

The craziest thing for me to find out what that the token doesn't even contain like the binary data of the JPG in question or anything, literally just a link to the file's URL. Which means if whoever hosts http://www.suckershq.com/verygoodart.jpg ever takes the file down or doesn't bother to renew the domain registration eventually, the token is then just pointing to literally nothing.

Imagine if when da Vinci's original studio got demolished to build apartments or whatever, that caused the Mona Lisa to revert to an empty frame.

It's basically like buying real art, having it stored in one of those port warehouses that's technically not part of the country and therefore taxes don't apply, and then at some point that warehouse just burning down, and also causing the planet to burn down too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PopZeus posted:

feeling a little crazy - was there a video that was very close-up of Elizabeth Holmes where she is creepily talking right into camera? google is failing me, or maybe i'm thinking of another tech person making a similar video?

edit: nvm found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqJNcQOBm0

I'm very late, but I made this as soon as I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJUA_12FNdQ

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hargrimm posted:

Gentlemen, I have for you today at this auction an authentic goatse.cx. and, if that were not exciting enough, it is hello.jpg

*Audience excitedly murmurs*

Shall we start the bidding at one hundred butts?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 18, 2021

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

adoration for none posted:

It actually seems like NFT has made the problem of piracy even worse because randos can make NFT tokens of your work without your permission and then try to profit off that and perhaps claim some imaginary non-legal control over your work.

The nightmare scenario would be that digital artists have to make NFT tokens to avoid such fraud and NFT becomes a literal rent-seeking parasite that nobody actually cares about but has to use anyway.

E: in other words it would be a self-justifying technology; its mere existence would require people to use it.

lol this just sold for like $50k

quote:

"®" is the first NFT to contain the intellectual property of every Fortune 100 company. [10000x6666 px]

a common criticism of NFTs is that they will enable artists to profit off of others' IP - let's settle that once and for all.

i believe this artwork falls under fair use; however, in the event that this NFT does become the first to be the subject of a cease & desist letter from a major corporation, it will only skyrocket in both historical importance and value.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It'll be crazy when the Johnny Fiveaces NFT sells higher than the real thing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

have you seen my baby posted:

lol this just sold for like $50k

the contradictions, they're heightening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I hope to god that every corporation just ignores NFTs and it disappears as yet another scam.