Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
When the first major group of breeding humans is sent to Mars to colonize it, what will the racial balance be like? Will they be predominantly one race, a carefully balanced and screened mixture to promote racial harmony, or will the selection process be race-blind and potentially have an imbalance in racial representation on Mars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Only pygmies, to decrease the weight of the spacecraft.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

les fleurs du mall posted:

When the first major group of breeding humans is sent to Mars to colonize it, what will the racial balance be like? Will they be predominantly one race, a carefully balanced and screened mixture to promote racial harmony, or will the selection process be race-blind and potentially have an imbalance in racial representation on Mars?

I think they'll end up being primarily of Chinese descent, at least once the Wong family comes into possession of the planet.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It'll be like 10 years before Musk sends Colony One and I can't imagine we'll still recognize concepts like "race" that far into the future.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Step aside Dark Continent. We got a whole goddamn Dark Planet here!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a better question: why is it a good idea to poo poo up the first Mars colony with identity politics?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

-Troika- posted:

Here's a better question: why is it a good idea to poo poo up the first Mars colony with identity politics?

No my question is better

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Because the USA cannot do anything without bringing race into it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Good job with the opening post. If you will allow me to have one complaint, I think you are discounting the roles that nuclear energy, Silicon Valley startups, and Bernie Sanders all play in this political issue.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

silence_kit posted:

Good job with the opening post. If you will allow me to have one complaint, I think you are discounting the roles that nuclear energy, Silicon Valley startups, and Bernie Sanders all play in this political issue.

It is the Red Planet after all!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I find your insistence on breeding humans to be, shall we say, problematic

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably it will be representative of the prejudices and ideology of the group in control of the matter. So like if the USA had one right now there'd be mostly white people and a few Asians and blacks but no hispanics.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't know but I sure as gently caress know my daughter won't be allowed to date any of the low-G mutant freaks who grow up on Mars.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Radiation could make them sterile - maybe like in 'Interstellar' they would need to bring a supply of sperm and eggs kept in lead-lined cryogenics.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They will all be Chinese, OP. China will win the space race to Mars. The next colony will be white Russians.
We'll still be here humming and hawing over the right mix of ethnicities while the rocket rusts away on the launchpad

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Racial mix doesn't matter much as long as Mars is exclusively colonized by lesbians who reproduce via scientific parthenogenesis.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Racial mix doesn't matter much as long as Mars is exclusively colonized by lesbians who reproduce via scientific parthenogenesis.

They could also reproduce via unscientific parthogenesis don't be a hater.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Recruit affluent whites for mars colony, fake colony footage with cgi, empty ships into vacuum of space, repeat

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

no, parthenogenic women are from Venus

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

les fleurs du mall posted:

I'll let you know when I finish reading this Kim Stanley Robinson novel.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Everyone is going to be a nice mocha color by the time we actually send anyone to Mars. Everyone except for the Synodic Eugenicist's Purification Legionnaires, they'll probably be a sickly translucent grey.

Will the O'Neill cylinder occupants at the Lagrange points be subject to the tyranny of the Earth dwellers?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly it's going to be really cool when we encounter alien life for the first time and conquer or destroy it because it's primitive and weird instead of being like, technologically superior and either enlightened or terrifying like Vulcans or Predators.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Potential BFF posted:

Everyone is going to be a nice mocha color by the time we actually send anyone to Mars.

Nah, plenty of developing cultures already have the ingrained message that "Paler skin = superiority". Even if they are racially diverse, they are probably going to be taking steps to lighten their skin and/or actively or subconsciously favoring lighter skinned people. White people going to rule the world, even when it's a new world and they aren't of European stock.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, plenty of developing cultures already have the ingrained message that "Paler skin = superiority".

Staying inside a palace all day long, giving orders and getting served: paler skin. Toiling outside in the fields: more suntan, therefore darker skin.

This is pretty much universal. Ironically we've moved a bit away from that in the white-skinned west because: staying outside all day long playing golf and tennis while riding horses on a yacht: more suntan; toiling inside in a factory or office all day long: paler skin.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Everyone is going to be a nice mocha color by the time we actually send anyone to Mars. Everyone except for the Synodic Eugenicist's Purification Legionnaires, they'll probably be a sickly translucent grey.

Will the O'Neill cylinder occupants at the Lagrange points be subject to the tyranny of the Earth dwellers?

Ironically the beautiful mocha future will still be just as racist, they'll just be more fixated on how baggy your spacesuit is than skin color.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I guess a serious answer is that they may end up with issues even reproducing due to the radiation risks.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, plenty of developing cultures already have the ingrained message that "Paler skin = superiority". Even if they are racially diverse, they are probably going to be taking steps to lighten their skin and/or actively or subconsciously favoring lighter skinned people. White people going to rule the world, even when it's a new world and they aren't of European stock.

I don't dispute your point but the effects of whitening creams of dubious chemical composition don't get passed on, unless they're teratogenic which I guess isn't off the table in some places!

Squalid posted:

Ironically the beautiful mocha future will still be just as racist, they'll just be more fixated on how baggy your spacesuit is than skin color.

I don't want anything to do with a future that hasn't moved onto flexible compression suits or articulated hardsuits. Besides, we all know vat-born labor synthetics are the real enemy. Whether you're hardy colonist stock from the inner expansion ring or a sanctioned resident of one of lower hab-blocks of Neo York, you can take pride that your genes don't come with a corporate logo.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The first Mars colony will obviously be all-gay because can you imagine how annoying it would be to be stuck in a dome with a bunch of women?

Reproduction will be entirely artificial and the parties will be amazing.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

white people in blackface exclusively, imo

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
who gives a gently caress about mars?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's no way the US will send a government funded colony to Mars for any reason other than a dick-waving contest with China, in which case we might see a token black dude and some non-Chinese Asians.

Much more likely the colony will be a privately funded venture and Mars will be populated solely by Donald Trumps and Martin Shkrelis. It'll be practically impossible for anyone without a massive trust fund to ever live there, but no one will greatly mourn the loss because the alternative is sharing a planet with those people.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Why on earth is this even a question?

Oh hey there is a pun there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Mars will be a gated, white only community.

The black man must never be allowed to set foot on the red planet.

Seriously though, maybe we should actually give NASA the funding they'd need to get to Mars before we start worrying about diversity quotas.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 8, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The first babies born on another planet will be IVF with international pairings.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

McDowell posted:

The first babies born on another planet will be IVF with international pairings.

They will also die within the first 48h. Toxx me on this please.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Mars will be all First Nations/Native American peoples. We hosed up their home, it's time to find them a new one.

Alternate answer: Scientologists looking to establish an Israel/Deseret-like religious homeland. Or nuke it. I have no idea if scientologists love or hate space, I just know they have strong feelings on the matter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

Mars will be all First Nations/Native American peoples. We hosed up their home, it's time to find them a new one.
Red Indians for the Red Planet.

DrProsek posted:

Alternate answer: Scientologists looking to establish an Israel/Deseret-like religious homeland. Or nuke it. I have no idea if scientologists love or hate space, I just know they have strong feelings on the matter.
Mars has the advantage of being ghost-free.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

I don't know but I sure as gently caress know my daughter won't be allowed to date any of the low-G mutant freaks who grow up on Mars.

Considering she will be several months of travel time through deep space away from you if she decides to date them, I can't possibly see how you could avoid that. Would be hilarious if you angrily jump into the next space ship to follow her only for it to have a lethal malfunction two weeks later. :v:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Kajeesus posted:

Much more likely the colony will be a privately funded venture and Mars will be populated solely by Donald Trumps and Martin Shkrelis. It'll be practically impossible for anyone without a massive trust fund to ever live there
Actually, in that case, it will be mostly people without massive trust funds! It'll just be... indentured servents/slaves that sustain the founders' ways of life, who run mining operations for trade back to earth with commodities. the founders will take advantage of the distance, control over communications to make it seem like things are better than they are, and earth's difficulty of dispatching a quick response to human rights violations to sneakily erode any rights non-founders might have had :D

You know, like how the new world colonies were founded by a bunch of guys who took advantage of distance from the old world papacy's distaste for native-killing and mass enslavement.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mars has the advantage of being ghost-free.

You're incredibly wrong.

• Locked thread