Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Laphroaig posted:

You're incredibly wrong.

I like the space tek 9

Effectronica posted:

Martian soil isn't toxic.

I'd expect it to have a decent amount of heavy metals in it at least, maybe that's what's meant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, weird, would have thought the lack of life and aridity of the planet would mean more contaminants in the surface soil.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

As Baronjutter explained, yes the soil is toxic and no, it isn't loving heavy metal what is wrong with you? Do you think lifeless planets magically get heavy metals deposited onto them by evil aliens or how did you get this poo poo?

Do you think motherfucking Pluto has a thick layer of Samarium and Lead on his surface?

No, I thought that perhaps rainfall and the heavy layer of plant cover on Earth helped to keep the soil more discretely layered, while a planet with no rain cycle but still an atmosphere and thus winds and dust storms would have a more mixed mineral content in the upper soil.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tighclops posted:

A lot of the most impressive recent progress in space has come from a company whose stated goal is to colonize Mars, you're right that it's not really practical but I think it'll happen first just because if you squint real hard you can pretend Mars sort of looks like the wild west and people seem to "get" that on an instinctual level

I mean you and I might be down with living in a roughly Pentagon sized space torus made from Mooncrete stuffed kevlar bags if it meant getting away from the drat rich people and their boots but even if you were to show most people visualizations of such a place they'd freak out at the prospect of living "inside" their whole lives even if the whole drat thing was an open air concept with parks and streams and poo poo

Either way it's good that we move off world because the means to live in space will eventually provide the opportunity to flee the kinds of economic systems that oppress so many people here on Earth

Well, assuming that the capitalists let the communists have the means of producing space habitats for long enough to build one of their own, anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I... I want to own a panel van so that I can have that painted on the side of it.

• Locked thread