Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't know but I sure as gently caress know my daughter won't be allowed to date any of the low-G mutant freaks who grow up on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Honestly it's going to be really cool when we encounter alien life for the first time and conquer or destroy it because it's primitive and weird instead of being like, technologically superior and either enlightened or terrifying like Vulcans or Predators.

Frankly I find the concept of a bug that thinks offensive.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

McDowell posted:

Bugs do think, though?

If humans ever became spaceborne we would become socialized like bees. That's part of the incisiveness of Independence Day that I hope is brought into the sequel - the aliens are mac-using technolocusts.

Insects with intelligence? Have you ever met one? I can't believe I am here this none-sense.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

McDowell posted:

They build. They have society and do things with purpose. Each individual has a brain (albeit a tiny one compared to you). If humans became interplanetary or interstellar wouldn't we be like a fractal continuation of earth life. We would likely bring plants and maybe well domesticated animals with us. We'll unintentionally bring bacteria and insects everywhere.

The only good bug is a dead bug.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mars gets significantly less sunlight than earth given its greater distance from the sun so you'd have to provide artificial light or deal with smaller crops giving lower yields.

The truth is the entire notion of permanently settled colonies on other planets is mostly a byproduct of golden age science fiction or fanciful movies like Star Wars and Star Trek. The incredible complications of trying to adapt a human population to the differences in atmosphere and gravity mean that the first permanent populations of humans living outside the earth are likely to live in space habitats rather than on planets.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Effectronica posted:

Okay, but we don't need unlimited resources to clear out enough room for high-intensity farming or hydroponics. We possibly don't even need that many resources if we make some breakthroughs on DNA sequencing and develop perchlorate-eating extremophiles.

Unless we have nearly unlimited resources this would seem like a hard plan to justify given the seemingly massive opportunity costs it imposes. Why are we trying to transform Mars into a hospitable environment for high-intensity farming in the first place?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Would it really?

That's an honest question because I have no idea. I would assume that the health complications of living in a low-gee environment and the huge costs of having to change a planet's environment would make a viable Mars colony a lot more expensive than a permanently inhabited space station. This is way outside my field of expertise though so I'm genuinely curious if there's a case to be made that colonizing planets is cheaper than the alternative forms of living outside planet earth. My intuition would be that it's going to be the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Kopijeger posted:

Considering that Mars receives considerably less sunlight than Earth, isn't it more likely that any people that settle on the planet will eventually become paler than anyone from Earth?

The low gravity environment will also make it so that the average Earthling will look like a roided out dwarf compared to the average Martian.

• Locked thread