Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I WANT TO BELIEVE :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i dont know

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sorry, but this is Cam's Kaepernick moment.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
1:1.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

probably okay

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sorry, but this is Cam's Kaepernick moment.

J E T S JETS JETS JETS

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They're probably the best pick in the NFC for next year but maybe 15% I'd say.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

P(1-cards, bitch)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's gonna be Patriots/Seahawks again and TFF will eat itself alive over it

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Packers/Colts and I'm gonna revel in TFF's bitching.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Let's worry about the 2016 season first.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NC-17 posted:

Let's worry about the 2016 season first.

I would be worried about the 2016 season too if I was a Patriots fan ohohohohohohohoho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would be worried about the 2016 season too if I was a Patriots fan ohohohohohohohoho

If there is a god the Broncos will somehow end up with Tebow starting for them next season

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Packers bitch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

They're probably the best pick in the NFC for next year but maybe 15% I'd say.

Probably the Seahawks though getting Benjamin back could be huge

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Michael Oher is a bad LT and also EJ Manuel Cam Newton may not play against Vonn and Ware again.

So low.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Probably not half bad. Panthers have won three straight NFC South crowns and Benjamin will at least fix one of the biggest concerns on offense. They are also in pretty good shape cap wise, though they will have to throw some of that at Josh Norman.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm not sure, Race Realists.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
It's o bky 2756 and my wife wants to Wang but I think that you are kiddi if the bills aren't a good team. Ty autocorrected

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
it's Teddy Time, bitch

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Dubious posted:

it's Teddy Time, bitch

*throws as hard as I can, lands at Mike Wallace's feet fifteen yards downfield*

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
But is Cam HUMBLE ENOUGH to come back from this??

Don't read takes like this today folks

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not good.

The last time the team that lost the super bowl appeared in the next one was when the Bills lost 4 in a row.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They are well positioned to return to the post season.

That's about all you can predict.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Not much else to say that hasn't been said already in this thread! Most of our assets will be returning plus we'll have KB back, so we should be looking at another strong showing next year.

Sucks that they lost, obviously hard to swallow but I'm still super proud of my cat team. :)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
On paper they are great, but football is so high variance you can't ever be sure of anything except that the Patriots will win the AFC East

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ribsauce posted:

On paper they are great, but football is so high variance you can't ever be sure of anything except that the Patriots will win the AFC East

Hey! Don't lob factual statements at the Bills, Phins and Jets as if they're insults.

:smith:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carolina has a good enough team to make it to the post season again. Kelvin back will be a huge lift to the offense and if they can find another decent tackle things will go well. If they stay healthy they're a good chance but Seattle and Arizona will be right back in the mix along with Green bay, Minnesota and probably one of Dallas / Washington / Tampa

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
1 in 5 to win the NFC, so basically you cross off the 10 teams that have no chance and the other 6 go at it. You know who you are cross off teams.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

1 in 5 to win the NFC, so basically you cross off the 10 teams that have no chance and the other 6 go at it. You know who you are cross off teams.

"not i!" scream four tiny voices from the nfc east crab bucket.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I can't help but shake the notion that the coaching staff really just did not prepare them for what they were in for. Nobody on the team will ever admit to it, but...It just seems like they got knocked back into their shells and never came back out. This is especially true of Newton who I think got scared out of his cleats and just could not rebound for it. Then you throw in some plays that could have broke their way but didn't and they just went to pieces.

I really want to say the deficiency in handling them during the process was the fault of the coaches. I'm not saying fire riverboat Ron, but I sure hope they're examining that side of it or they're going to fumble it next year too.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Just came across this article on the very same subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/10/10957748/carolina-panthers-2016-super-bowl-loser-hangover

"Here is a sobering statistic for Panthers fans still licking their wounds from Super Bowl 50 and hoping next season will be better: No team in the past 43 seasons has lost the Super Bowl and come back to win it the next season. The 1972 Miami Dolphins were the last team to accomplish this.

In addition, no team since the 1993 Buffalo Bills lost the Super Bowl and even made it back to the big game the following year. The Super Bowl loser's hangover is real."

Nov 6, 2002

sample size problems

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
It's very hard to reach a Super Bowl, let alone 2 in a row. The Panthers don't have many major holes though outside WR and they are easily a playoff team unless something disastrous happens.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/10/10957748/carolina-panthers-2016-super-bowl-loser-hangover

"Here is a sobering statistic for Panthers fans still licking their wounds from Super Bowl 50 and hoping next season will be better: No team in the past 43 seasons has lost the Super Bowl and come back to win it the next season. The 1972 Miami Dolphins were the last team to accomplish this.

In addition, no team since the 1993 Buffalo Bills lost the Super Bowl and even made it back to the big game the following year. The Super Bowl loser's hangover is real."

I want to see how many teams have lost the Super Bowl then been back in the next one, pre-1993.

Because I think it'd be a surprisingly high number, it just hasn't been done recently.

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah the Super Bowl hangover is a dumb narrative.

The last four Super Bowl losers all made it to the divisional round at least (two made it to the conference championship) the following year. They lost because they ran into better teams, not because of a game that happened twelve months prior.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I want to see how many teams have lost the Super Bowl then been back in the next one, pre-1993.

Because I think it'd be a surprisingly high number, it just hasn't been done recently.

From the article: "In the past 43 seasons, the loser of the Super Bowl has made it back to the game five times — 1974 Minnesota Vikings; 1987 Denver Broncos and the Bills in 1991, 1992 and 1993."

The Cowboys and Dolphins both came back from a loss to win it, back to back in SBs V to VII. So that's seven comebacks in 50 games and two of them for a victory.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

From the article: "In the past 43 seasons, the loser of the Super Bowl has made it back to the game five times — 1974 Minnesota Vikings; 1987 Denver Broncos and the Bills in 1991, 1992 and 1993."

The Cowboys and Dolphins both came back from a loss to win it, back to back in SBs V to VII. So that's seven comebacks in 50 games and two of them for a victory.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

So 14%. That's statistically significant. The hangover is generally real, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fire Safety Doug posted:

It'd be cool if the Panthers could repeat both things the 72 Dolphins did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So 14%. That's statistically significant. The hangover is generally real, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Intruder posted:

It'd be cool if the Panthers could repeat both things the 72 Dolphins did

50 is really a tiny sample size, anyway, especially given the inherent randomness in an NFL season (I'm speaking mostly about injuries here, which can really gently caress up even a good team). Trends are something for the talking heads to yak about, but they really don't mean poo poo other than it's really hard to get to the Superbowl and win. It's a step up from discussing win/loss records while wearing certain uniforms, but not much of one. There are a couple of teams in the last decade or so that always seem to be in the postseason and that seems to be the way to win multiple Superbowls. Look at the last ten or fifteen years of the Patriots, they're constantly in the mix and they have a bunch of Superbowl appearances to show for it. The Steelers are another team that seems to always be in the postseason and they have two wins and one loss in the last ten years. That really isn't bad. Denver's been there a lot in the last five years or so, and they've got one loss and one win.

To believe in the Superbowl hangover, you have to believe that one loss has some kind of magic effect that no other loss can possibly have. There's a lot of reasons teams end up worse after a good run; losing essential players to free agency or retirement, injuries, age, suspensions, Jed York, etc... I'd rank all of that way above a Superbowl hangover. How many times has the winner made it back? 11 times in 50 games, so 22%. Between them and the losers, that accounts for over 1/3 of all Superbowls played. The difference between losers and winners coming back the next year is 4 (which, with 50 samples is 8% and probably below the margin of error given the sample size). It doesn't actually mean much, because you don't have a baseline to compare it to. How often does the average team make the Superbowl? I don't have a loving clue, I'd need to be able to define the 'average' team, which wouldn't work because average teams rarely, if ever, make it to the Superbowl.

• Locked thread