Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

As far as creepy stuff goes, I've read enough trashy garbage myself that I don't begrudge people their personal tastes however filthy they might be. However, I think people should have some self-awareness regarding what they talk about in public/on the open internet and maybe not broadcast that they're really into the creepy stuff. You like what you like but nobody else needs to know that poo poo. It's easy to fall into oversharing mode in a relaxed atmosphere like current ADTRW though, and I'm guilty of it myself, having posted things and then think ehhh maybe I'd rather not have people know I like that. At least regret it though -- don't just blab about whatever gross thing you're into and expect others to support it.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah let's not go into the territory of 'anime should actually be made for me, the american, because japan is dying'

like yo

what happens happens. maybe japan is a barren wasteland and Fist Of The North Star In Real Life or maybe, i dunno, things turn around and don't exactly follow a mathematical equation. the decisions businesspeople make are shrouded in secret contracts and mystery and we commoners may never truly grasp what drives what they do aside from 'they probably assume this will make money most of the time'

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

quote this post in order to gather all our energy, to dismiss those complaints

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
But... maybe I can learn to love anime?
Maybe it's okay for me to like anime?
That's right.... it's anime, nothing more, nothing less
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!
And it's okay for me to watch anime!!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

realtalk: if you want fantastical or science fictional stories in tv size, then japan probably produces more than the entire anglosphere even in the current nerd boom. like half of them are lame magic highschool trapped in an MMO LN adaptions but on the other hand, the deluge of superhero spinoffs.

it's not bad for being a market maybe 1/4 the size

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Actual reply though, from what I hear from my teacher friend, SAO and Attack on Titan was big with high-schoolers last year. Which makes sense since those series are the equivalent of YA lit. And generally, the mainstream view of anime in the west usually is the shonen stuff, which is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs, so the cool stuff from the other genres tend not to be as well represented. Additionally, I feel like network TV generally does a poor job in picking up good shows for girls, so they're already disinclined to pick up stuff that's more shojo oriented. Course, sometimes good word of mouth still spreads since Fruits Basket was a success a couple years back, but it was never broadcast on any major stations. Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter at the moment. Anime is cool, have a jelly donut everyday!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no offense but 'the mainstream view of anime in the west... is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs' is pretty inaccurate. kurositsuji is still pretty huge and attack on titan was as popular with girls as it was with guys. and sailor moon always does insanely well. vampire knight was really popular too. it's true that shoujo doesn't really air on tv much, but there's always at least a couple of shoujo manga that are doing really well.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

no offense but 'the mainstream view of anime in the west... is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs' is pretty inaccurate. kurositsuji is still pretty huge and attack on titan was as popular with girls as it was with guys. and sailor moon always does insanely well. vampire knight was really popular too. it's true that shoujo doesn't really air on tv much, but there's always at least a couple of shoujo manga that are doing really well.

Yeah, hence what I meant that shoujo does have relatively good word of mouth at times like with Fruits Basket since it's usually girls I see in the manga section at bookstores. But from an outsider's point of view, what they see first is generally the shonen stuff was my point, which might skew the general opinion about anime in a certain direction.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just want to say that Mark Twain rules and thus reading this thread was a good idea after all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do not care what normies think

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime owns, op

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

tbh the otaku I know are generally much more visually literate than the movie fans I know who hate anime. like it's not even close.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why the gently caress wouldn't it be 'just like goku was determined to defeat the saiyans'

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kids these days don't even know Goku

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pretty much the only anime that ever air on TV where I live are Pokémon and toy tie-in stuff like Bakugan and Inazuma 11. When I was in high school occasionally things like Bobobo and Shaman King would make it over, but I don't think that kind of thing happens any more. So people don't really know what anime is and if you'd try to explain it to them they would probably just be thinking of kids shows. That said, there was never any moral crusade against anime out here (not even after someone went on a Death Note-inspired killing spree) so at least we've got that going for us.

Anecdotally, I remember one time I was eating lunch with some classmates in college and we ended up talking about anime for reasons I don't remember. One of them watched Naruto regularly and another one read up on Bleach from time to time. They were nice dudes, the rowdy sports-y type that I didn't expect to be into anime at all. Being able to talk about anime unabashedly with people I was acquainted with but not actually friends with was a nice experience.

So being an anime watcher out here isn't such a bad deal, because people are either neutral or positive about it (in my experience). That said I still keep it to myself most of the time because it's still a niche geek hobby that most people wouldn't care to hear about. :shobon:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i'm fine with the things i like being widely regarded as disreputable, op

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My Anime Experience:

I snapbuilt a few gunpla after watching Build Fighters and my dad thought that was pretty neat. After one college class period I ran into a whole crowd of people talking about SAO, and my first-year doormmates and neighbors watched a few anime on netflix.

So I suppose in my experience it's been treated like any other hobby or interest? Honestly film has done more "damage" on a social level for me, but that's because my dad's a huge softie that can't handle R action movies.

e: the only person to make anything of it or any of my other interests was myself back when I was an overly-conscious teen who took poo poo on the 'net too seriously

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
anime has become more pandering to western sensibilities over time, some people just haven't seen enough to notice. it's just slow to adapt, much like the japanese to many things (flip phones and paper filled offices heh). the loudest complainers are western tumblrites who cant stand seeing a titty in their show or want diversity in media from a country that is 98.5% one racial group

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf, ainu and koreans are cool and should be in anime more

edit: also native okinawans

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Relin posted:

anime has become more pandering to western sensibilities over time, some people just haven't seen enough to notice. it's just slow to adapt, much like the japanese to many things (flip phones and paper filled offices heh). the loudest complainers are western tumblrites who cant stand seeing a titty in their show or want diversity in media from a country that is 98.5% one racial group

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I have good word that there's never been a titty on tumblr, no sir.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Relin posted:

the loudest complainers are western tumblrites

Tumblr loves anime, though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

i'm fine with the things i like being widely regarded as disreputable, op

Yeah, this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Tumblr loves anime, though.

Social media sites are comprised of millions of people, and I'm better than all of them.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

american tv is sickening and degenerate almost without exception

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

american tv is sickening and degenerate almost without exception

99% of programs are about murder and I hate it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Orange is the New Black is good so far, I'm only halfway through season 2 though.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the best airing american show is nathan for you, but only because hannibal got canceled

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

also, deadliest catch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Would be chill if everyone who wants to talk about Godard would have to spend some time talking about how disgusting Serbian Film and Gang Rape Bus 69 or whatever is

I watched a Serbian Film with my mom as a a prank

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

americans are disgusting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

american media churns out superhero movies and reboots

Marvel is going to make 30 movies until 2020 and I feel like western civilization has reached its lowest point

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Downton Abbey is british and Trailer Park Boys is canadian so I reccomend those

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Would be chill if everyone who wants to talk about Godard would have to spend some time talking about how disgusting Serbian Film and Gang Rape Bus 69 or whatever is

godard is one of my fav directors but i also love stuff like angst and nekromantik and own like 20 pinky violence dvds :grin:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the last american show i watched was 12 episodes of racist white girls being racist before half of them got killed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

The easiest western comparison to LNs is YA lit

This, although Overlord is far superior than any stupid rear end YA has ever been made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Radio Spiricom posted:

the best airing american show is nathan for you, but only because hannibal got canceled

Meanwhile in adtrw:

Sharkopath posted:

CANNAE! CANNAE! CANNAE! CANNAE! CANNAE!

:japan: 1 :911: 0

• Locked thread