Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

squirrelzipper posted:

AMS2 is so good in VR it's causing me issues. I can't race in ACC anymore - and I thought I had it looking awesome but it's just a jittery nasty mess compared to AMS2. But AMS2 doesn't have multiplayer. And I can't use a flat screen anymore. So I redeemed my iRacing coupon so see how it looks in VR - and it's about the same as AC - which is a compliment, looks good (not AMS2 good but) and is performant. Goddamn that's the only way to have good online VR GT3 races isn't it?

e; also rallycross in VR is dirty fun.

Rallycross loving owns in VR and honestly some of the best fun I've had in sims in a long time was grouping up with friends for some ACAT shenanigans... the only way to make rx in vr better is to do it in lovely old cars live with a squad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've been trying, but I just can't get into ACC at all. Something about it feels wrong, but I can't put my finger on what. I realize it's good and people like it, but I just can't find the fun. I think maybe it's the car selection? I really hate European cars with a passion and that's all it seems to really focus on. Is this what Gran Turismo Sport was like for people who preferred the 'normal' series? Which is weird, I guess, because I fuckin' LOVED GTS, but GT7 bores me to death.

Original AC is dope af though, I find I'm enjoying it more as time goes on.

Also, when the iRacing schedule for this season dropped, I immediately asked for a refund and they gave me credit. (short version, I really only want to run the GR86 and Nurburgring, and that combo was nowhere to be found; half the 86 tracks I didn't have, and most of the Ringmeister cars I don't have and don't want). I keep thinking about picking it back up next season, but the longer I'm away from it the less I want to deal with it. I'd had a LOT of bad experiences lately with toxic people and deliberate wrecking that, to my surprise, I'm not finding at all with AC. I wish there was something else out there similar that doesn't want to waste my time grinding for "credits". I just want to choose my car (86), choose a track (Nurburgring), and go.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TremorX posted:

I've been trying, but I just can't get into ACC at all. Something about it feels wrong, but I can't put my finger on what. I realize it's good and people like it, but I just can't find the fun. I think maybe it's the car selection? I really hate European cars with a passion and that's all it seems to really focus on. Is this what Gran Turismo Sport was like for people who preferred the 'normal' series? Which is weird, I guess, because I fuckin' LOVED GTS, but GT7 bores me to death.

Original AC is dope af though, I find I'm enjoying it more as time goes on.

Also, when the iRacing schedule for this season dropped, I immediately asked for a refund and they gave me credit. (short version, I really only want to run the GR86 and Nurburgring, and that combo was nowhere to be found; half the 86 tracks I didn't have, and most of the Ringmeister cars I don't have and don't want). I keep thinking about picking it back up next season, but the longer I'm away from it the less I want to deal with it. I'd had a LOT of bad experiences lately with toxic people and deliberate wrecking that, to my surprise, I'm not finding at all with AC. I wish there was something else out there similar that doesn't want to waste my time grinding for "credits". I just want to choose my car (86), choose a track (Nurburgring), and go.

Isn't ACC just a GT sim that uses the current GT cars?

E: you can transfer iracing credit can't you? How much do you have? I'll buy some.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Vando posted:

Don't think they were counting the iRacing numbers from Steam, just the ACC ones. But for comparison right now in just past Euro prime time there are 11k online (also you don't need the client installed to check that anymore, if you have an active sub it's all been ported to browser: https://members-ng.iracing.com/home/dashboard)

Thanks for the link. I had no idea about the web interface. The numbers used to be on the old membersite, but that's losing more and more functionality as they transition to the UI. Just wish they'd make searching and navigating results/stats/series standings better in the UI.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Diplomat posted:

Thanks for the link. I had no idea about the web interface. The numbers used to be on the old membersite, but that's losing more and more functionality as they transition to the UI. Just wish they'd make searching and navigating results/stats/series standings better in the UI.

There’s a new area under results for current season series you’ve participated in, and the search interface for all results did get a bump recently. The desktop UI can be slow as gently caress to update but going to the website is usually much quicker to show up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Heard clattery nonsense from my gear-driven wheel going down a straightaway one too many times.

5Nm Fanatec CSL DD bundle with the BMW wheel and the load cell kit ordered. Thank you for your service, G920 with Truebrake mod.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice you will not regret

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Heard clattery nonsense from my gear-driven wheel going down a straightaway one too many times.

5Nm Fanatec CSL DD bundle with the BMW wheel and the load cell kit ordered. Thank you for your service, G920 with Truebrake mod.

Which spring did you use for the True brake kit?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

amenenema posted:

Which spring did you use for the True brake kit?

Second lightest. Now that I'm used to a stiff brake, I'd probably switch it out for the next one up if I wasn't about to rehome the G920.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Second lightest. Now that I'm used to a stiff brake, I'd probably switch it out for the next one up if I wasn't about to rehome the G920.
Gotcha, thanks. I started with that one, jumped to the heaviest, and then settled for the one in between them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

So a few years ago, weeks before the announcement of the entry level direct drive wheel from Fanatec I ordered the following Clubsport stuff: Wheel Base V2.5, Lenkrad Formula Carbon (wheel), Pedals V3, Shifter, Magnetic Paddle Module and Pedals V3 Damper Kit. I was going to put everything into an old formula ford chassis to replicate my formula ford race car. I got as far as rough mounting the wheel base and modifying the pedals, making them narrower to fit the chassis, then I had some health issues... Three and a half years later the race car is sold and these things are collecting dust. I'm not going to be racing open wheel so it doesn't make sense to use the chassis I had started on. Guess I'll grab a non formula wheel too.

Not sure if I'm going to stick with VR (quest 2) or go triples but what's the recommended chassis for sedan style seating at various price points these days? Say 250, 500, 750, 1k range. Going to start watching marketplace but if something doesn't pop in the next month or so I'll buy new.

edit: playseat trophy and some of the Next level stuff looks decent enough

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
IMO, get a bucket seat from somewhere like NRG and then an 8020 rig from Trak Racer, Next Level Racing, Sim-Lab, Rig Metal, or Advanced Sim Racing. I don't think you need anything more than 80 or 120mm thick profile, but get something where the wheel uprights overlap the horizontal ones vs tee into it. Seems like the main differentiators are in how the pedals and wheelbase mount and adjust and its choosing your fav from those options.

I do think a bucket seat aimed for an actual car is going to be better value than a seat from a sim rig manufacturer, but not sure on that. I'd avoid the all-in-one solutions like the playseat and go 8020 for adjustability and expandability over a tube frame setup.

I dont have an 8020 rig but if I was going to buy one today I think I'd go TR80. I have a GT Omega wheelstand and seat add-on and while its great and a lot cheaper than an 8020 rig, if I had known for sure I was going to stick with sim racing I wish I'd gone straight to an 8020 rig like the TR80.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I scratch-built two 80/20 rigs during COVID lockdowns for myself and a friend, and IIRC we were into them for ~$1300USD each, including the seats and all the miscellaneous hardware. Basically everything BUT the peripherals themselves. It was the only option for us though, since we both wanted triple-purpose sim racing/flight sim/general gaming rigs.

If I were scratch building again, and for single-use, I’m pretty confident I could get that down to ~$700 and have essentially infinite customizability for the future. 80/20 rules for this kind of thing.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Unless you want something you can't find from a company like a racing/flying rig, you're never going to save money on DIY. The companies get such discounts I wasn't able to get extrusion for the price of an entire rig from a bigger company.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Excellent thank you, time to start watching and shopping. Of course during the great sell off of late 2022 I sold a perfectly good race seat that would have been perfect for this.

Heck the TR-80 is on sale for $500, that's not bad - https://trakracer.com/collections/simulators/products/tr80-racing-simulator-mk4

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 17, 2024

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I’m very happy with my TR, for what it’s worth.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Excellent thank you, time to start watching and shopping. Of course during the great sell off of late 2022 I sold a perfectly good race seat that would have been perfect for this.

Heck the TR-80 is on sale for $500, that's not bad - https://trakracer.com/collections/simulators/products/tr80-racing-simulator-mk4

I have that one and like it, never used any other though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hey what the heck is this sim? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2399420/Le_Mans_Ultimate/

Will this be good maybe? The developer is not familiar to me.

[edit]
Ooh wait, this is the rFactor 2 devs, so that is promising?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's one of the Motorsport Games things that's basically a chunk of rF2 carved off to be its own game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, reading more about it, and seeing what other sim racers are saying, it looks like no one cares about this one.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Its cool that WEC is getting their own game and I'd like to give some of the hypercars a spin, but with the shenanigans of the publisher MSG I'm hesitant to pick something up that doesn't add much on top of existing titles I have an will have limited adoption and potentially no support long term. Really a bit of a shame.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Unless they fix the long-standing rF2 issues as part of the process it's always going to be a glorified DLC pack, fingers crossed the devs can pull off a miracle but as MSG has limbs dropping off its zombie corpse all over I can't see how they'd have had the resources to do anything big.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trying dirt oval in iRacing is it common to have the wheels constantly off the ground in these cars? (Sprints, UMP mod)?

My PC isnt great so the graphics arent either, sometimes it looks like I have one or 2 wheels off the ground, but then another instance ill do a lap and itll look like all 4 are off the ground all lap.

If this isnt my PC and just a dirt track thing, anyone know how to keep wheels on the ground in Sprints/Modifieds?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think it's pretty normal to tricycle in sprints for sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Hey what the heck is this sim? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2399420/Le_Mans_Ultimate/

Will this be good maybe? The developer is not familiar to me.

[edit]
Ooh wait, this is the rFactor 2 devs, so that is promising?

For any of these I think the main thing is like... What is a new one doing that iracing isn't doing? Because you obviously want to be where the most people are so that you get great racing and AFAIK that's either ACC or iracing.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

VelociBacon posted:

For any of these I think the main thing is like... What is a new one doing that iracing isn't doing?

If it is relased on consoles then that would be the answer. But it looks like it's a PC only title for now, so it will be pretty interesting to see how well it sells when buyers ask themselves "So what does it have that I don't have in any of my sims?"

I don't think it can be long before Motorsport Games keels over and dies.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

trying dirt oval in iRacing is it common to have the wheels constantly off the ground in these cars? (Sprints, UMP mod)?

My PC isnt great so the graphics arent either, sometimes it looks like I have one or 2 wheels off the ground, but then another instance ill do a lap and itll look like all 4 are off the ground all lap.

If this isnt my PC and just a dirt track thing, anyone know how to keep wheels on the ground in Sprints/Modifieds?

You might not be rendering the dynamic track surface, leading to cars floating as they're on dirt that's been pushed around you can't see. I think you need medium shaders turned on and to click display dynamic track or something to turn it on. It's the same setting that shows marbles on road tracks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also make sure shadows are on at least low, without the shadows it’s really hard to see where the rubber literally meets the road

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Le Mans Ultimate first impressions: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxN6pkGnk2SAAkklSjjdNQS-u5CxiPevXz?si=bDbR9imDIzDRZ0OP

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gave up on my Fanatec order after two weeks of radio silence. I know there are people who waited months, but...they shouldn't be doing that, I dunno, skill issue. Amazon has the Logitech Pro wheel (sans pedals) for $800 so I just said gently caress it and did that. I don't really care about swapping rims, I just want a decent direct drive wheel.

Just zero appetite for dealing with a different boutique OEM and/or random reseller outfit right now. Logitech from Amazon, 11 N-m, keep using my truebrake modded G29 pedals for a while, hail Satan.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 24, 2024

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

VelociBacon posted:

For any of these I think the main thing is like... What is a new one doing that iracing isn't doing? Because you obviously want to be where the most people are so that you get great racing and AFAIK that's either ACC or iracing.

The big thing that caught my eye is just that it has the 499P and I don't think any other sim does at this point? Maybe iRacing will get it one day. I guarantee I can't drive it for poo poo but I just love the way it looks and I want to drive it around.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Gave up on my Fanatec order after two weeks of radio silence. I know there are people who waited months, but...they shouldn't be doing that, I dunno, skill issue. Amazon has the Logitech Pro wheel (sans pedals) for $800 so I just said gently caress it and did that. I don't really care about swapping rims, I just want a decent direct drive wheel.

Just zero appetite for dealing with a different boutique OEM and/or random reseller outfit right now. Logitech from Amazon, 11 N-m, keep using my truebrake modded G29 pedals for a while, hail Satan.

The Logitech Pro owns. Couldn't be happier. It's a chonker for sure but I think part of that is the holes they put at the bottom left and right to make it look more like a trapezoid than a hexagon. At first I hated trueforce because it was so drat loud on my rig but turning it down solved that whole problem and I really like having a little extra haptic feedback in games that support it directly. They could really gently caress the other OEMs up if they got some wheel rim options out.

This morning (Saturday), having disputed the transaction last Tuesday, I hilariously got a shipping notification from Fanatec so apparently my order is going to be here in a couple days. They're smoking some heavy poo poo if they think that's gonna turn the dispute around for them. All I have to do is show my card issuer r/fanatec and that'll be the ballgame. I emailed Fanatec suggesting they recall that shipment, I have zero interest in getting on their carousel of bullshit again.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hello fellows, getting back into iRacing after a couple of years off. Is the discord link in the OP still the correct one? Would quite like to get into some goonracing sometime.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Are there any premade 80/20 rigs y'all would recommend that minimize the part-swapping annoyances of doing wheel/pedals and HOTAS/rudders with the same setup?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Hello fellows, getting back into iRacing after a couple of years off. Is the discord link in the OP still the correct one? Would quite like to get into some goonracing sometime.

It sure is.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Nice one cheers!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Roadie posted:

Are there any premade 80/20 rigs y'all would recommend that minimize the part-swapping annoyances of doing wheel/pedals and HOTAS/rudders with the same setup?

I switched from Obutto to Sim Fab recently, and it's been a great hybrid setup. I got both a flight and sim pedal plate, and it takes literally less than a minute to swap them out.

I started with their Hybrid Kit and made a few tweaks for my specific odds and ends. If you email them a list of the sim hardware you have and any special considerations (center-mounted stick, HOSAS, etc.) then they should be able to recommend a kit for you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm struggling with doing some of the career mode poo poo with asseto corsa like the McLaren feels like it can not stop especially when compared to the AI. I also find that the lotus is really floaty and will kill em unexpectedly (lift off oversteer?) But I don't get a chance to feel it. . it just feels a bit off, maybe I'm just lovely at racing mid engine cars or something. I've found that AMS2 a bit easier to get a 'handle on the handling' am I crazy?

How is the iracing AI these days I'm still trying to do single player experiences. I struggle to make it to races / end up getting frustrated when I get crashed out by some dumbass and my chance to race for the night is done.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 1, 2024

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Iracings ai is some of the best in the biz. I believe that and ams2 are kind of the best regarded in the modern suite of sims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tater_salad posted:

So I'm struggling with doing some of the career mode poo poo with asseto corsa like the McLaren feels like it can not stop especially when compared to the AI. I also find that the lotus is really floaty and will kill em unexpectedly (lift off oversteer?) But I don't get a chance to feel it. . it just feels a bit off, maybe I'm just lovely at racing mid engine cars or something. I've found that AMS2 a bit easier to get a 'handle on the handling' am I crazy?

How is the iracing AI these days I'm still trying to do single player experiences. I struggle to make it to races / end up getting frustrated when I get crashed out by some dumbass and my chance to race for the night is done.

Better to have tried and failed than to have never really raced at all though? After iRacing I can't shake the feeling that if I'm doing vsAI racing thing it's all a bit meaningless. Haven't beaten anyone, haven't been beaten, etc.