Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Project CARS got its first mod car the other day, the new Audi R8 LMS. Installation is a bit annoying but the car is nice. Not sure if it's safe to use online, though, so I wouldn't for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Kilonum posted:

I got a new 21:9 monitor today, used pCars to give it a test

Nice! 21:9 is great and happily, racing games all seem to support it pretty well.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

I actively play 3 sims because I like different things about them depending on my mood.

Yep, I bounce around a lot too. All of the current sims are pretty good.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Nope, no mod tracks for pCars so far. It is possible, and SMS has said they don't care about people modding the game, but they don't officially support it either so the installation process is annoying and updates will break things.

AC is definitely the way to go for mods. Or SCE if you already have it, otherwise wait for Automobilista.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

True, I've seen some shoddy as hell AC mods. iRacing and rF2 are the only ones with first party versions of Lime Rock, I think.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Forza Apex is pretty cool. I didn't expect them to release something for PC before FH3/FM7. And it's free!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

is it actually free; or is it free to play and you basically have to give them money to do anything?

What I read said a third of the cars are unlocked from the start and the rest have to be unlocked either with in-game currency or real money. I think FM6 uses the same or a similar model.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I still like to chill and race with a controller sometimes. Maybe when I have a dedicated cockpit I can just jump into it'll be different but I think they'll end up adding wheel support to Forza Apex at some point too.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It's actually not too bad, depending on the vehicle. I can have fun with the rallycross Lancer or super trucks, but things like the Formula V10 are pretty tough with a controller.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I've been playing Grid Autosport while my wheel is being repaired and it's pretty fun.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Reiza memberships are available now for $20, or $0 if you backed the Indiegogo campaign.

quote:

There will be in between 10-12 DLC items released over the remainder of 2016, each item including either one completely new series or venue, with prices for each item ranging from US$ 2.99 to US$ 4.99

We are currently in advanced negotiations for delivering the following DLC packs (not necessarily in this order):

Venues:
Imola/ITALY (historical & modern variants)
Oulton Park/UK
Cadwell Park/UK
Brands Hatch/UK
Hockenheim/GERMANY (historical & modern variants)
Hillclimb rally stage (Pikes Peak based) /US

Cars:
Ultima GTR
Truck Racing -based on contents from Formula Truck 2013 (free for those who already own that)
Aussie Racing Car
Divisão 3 (Historical brazilian touring car series)
Group B Rally car

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I'm thinking about going widescreen as a stop gap until VR is beyond its growing pains (if it does). Anyone use a 21:10 (or is it 21:9?) monitor and can elaborate on which games do it well and if it's worth it as an upgrade from 16:9?

I've got a Dell U3415 and it's great. A few things get a bit stretched (Automobilista's menus and driving HUD, pCARS's telemetry overlay, etc) but for the most part everything works fine.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Bummer for anyone who has a Rift now but he did also say:

quote:

We will be patching the Steam version to the same level of functionality as soon as we practically can.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Since SA has an official Discord server now, I requested a channel for us racing nerds. If you've never used Discord, it's like IRC and Mumble combined in one app (with web, desktop, and phone clients) with some nice enhancements.

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

To get authed, look in the #rules_and_info channel and do the !authme thing. There's a text channel (#racing-goons) and a voice channel to start. If people actually use it and we need more voice channels or whatever, we can get those added later.

Join up!

Eyud fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 30, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

Does Discord have an overlay that actually works in 64 bit? That's the thing I would like to see most from Mumble right now, and I definitely won't bother switching if I don't gain a working overlay in iRacing.

I'll try it out tonight. Their overlay is still pretty new and I don't think it works with all games yet but when it does it's way nicer than Mumble's.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

Does Discord have an overlay that actually works in 64 bit? That's the thing I would like to see most from Mumble right now, and I definitely won't bother switching if I don't gain a working overlay in iRacing.

So nope, I wasn't able to get the overlay working (in 64 bit DX11 mode anyway).

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Not too excited by the coming MX-5's, them being the 2015 is hard to get into when the 2016 is so much better. Really happy to see the RX-7 though, but I wish they'd figured out a Japanese track to include if they were doing a Japan DLC.

One of the billboards along the new track is an ad for the Japanese pack and it shows the 2016 Miata, so I dunno why they're calling it a 2015.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

:eyepop:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The Forza Apex beta is out!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

Gunna drive the gently caress outa that RX-7 tonight

:agreed:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The pop-up headlights on the RX-7 are fully functional so Assetto Corsa is now the greatest sim.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

They really are, I loved all those cars in the 90s (if only it was the 300ZX instead of the 370) and Kunos did a really nice job with them.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Only the greatest car ever built!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I want a handbrake for my simulator. But I don't want to spend tons because I only use it for dumb drifting poo poo. But I also don't want it to be garbage.

So far my options are Fanatec or Heusinkveld right? Who am I forgetting?

This one by Frex is close to the Fanatec in price, this thread in the iRacing hardware forum lists some other more expensive ones.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Are the Fanatec Clubsport V3 still the goto pedals? Anything better come out or getting ready to come out that I should wait for? I'd be using them with a g27 which I will likely replace in the near future, figured I'd start with better pedals first.

I've had the V3s for ~7 months and they haven't had any issues, which is more than I can say for the rest of my Fanatec gear. They're good pedals but I'm kinda fed up with Fanatec's lovely QA and support so when it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go with Heuskinveld or HPP.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

One thing about the V3's that seemed kinda cool and put it over the TM ones for me was the rumble for the brake/gas pedal and the optional Damper Kit.

The vibration motors on the V3s are fairly useless, IMO. It's really hard to feel anything from them, especially if you wear shoes when you race. And not many games actually support them.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Rain races are better than dry races.

:agreed:

I wish all sims had rain.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That car is fun.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I was having shifter issues and barely got it working before the race started, so I forgot to check my fuel and welp. Fun race as always though!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm a RD member, I've only ever done a couple rF2 races with them but they were pretty good and mostly clean. Their TS was annoying as hell though because at least a couple people weren't using push to talk and gently caress that, especially when racing with noisy wheels and shifters.

Someone other than me should organize a goon AMS league.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Only on Oculus store at first, for some drat reason. Hopefully Steam remains in its own platform, so I can league with people.

The official blog says: "DiRT Rally VR will release with the Oculus Store on 11th July, while existing PC players will receive an update on the same day too".

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Pedals.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

There are now officially multiple sites trying to make iRacing-like multiplayer work on other games. RaceRoom is apparently officially supporting this site which at least looks way more professional than the Sim Racing System website. This one at least doesn't require you to download software, registering for a race just gives you the server password. They're also apparently going to have setup sharing and telemetry stuff in the future. I look forward to never being able to find a decent race on it.

My favorite thing about this one is the generic dashboard/stats pics they stole from somewhere and have under "our vision". Or "Template by WebThemez.com".

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I, too, have a Forza-shaped hole in my heart. Haven't played one since FM4. I'm super excited for FH3 and FM7 on PC.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I got it on PC and played a few hours last night. It's pretty fun. I'm liking how they set up the campaign and team goals and car upgrades and stuff.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah it looks much better than 2015 did at release. My framerate goes to poo poo when you're sitting in the team lounge for some reason but on track it's always solid.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

So ISI and a company in the Netherlands are forming a new company, Studio 397, to take over rF2's development. They've announced an updated interface and a new DX11 engine with VR support (release date unknown) and an increased frequency of car/track releases.

http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-moves-to-a-new-company-welcome-studio397/

Sounds pretty cool, maybe they'll reconsider the whole multiplayer pass thing while they're at it.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 16, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, the physics and feedback and dynamic track and AI are all IMO the best around, but I hardly ever actually play it. Other games just have way more interesting content, or people actually playing online.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I remember having a lot of fun with the Megane Trophy on Sebring (a mod track but it's by Virtua_LM so it's quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

In case anyone is looking for a fix, one way to work around it is to use JoyToKey (or probably AutoHotkey or whatever) to map a wheel button to a key instead, then set that key as your PTT shortcut in Mumble. Depending on the number of buttons on your wheel, you could also put PTT on a button that won't be getting pressed on another device much (eg the reverse gear button instead of the third gear button).

Also go vote for this issue so they fix it.