Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
IRacing has a pretty decent FOV calculator for triple screens, and Assetto Corsa also has an in-game module (accessed from the menu on the far right of the screen while driving) for setting up triple screens. rF2 has something also, but I haven't played that in a while so I'll have to get back on that. The iRacing one is the most simple, I believe. You plug in your screen size with and without the bezel, enter the angle of the side screens relative to the center, and the distance from your eyeballs to the center screen. Then it spits out the FOV that *should* be used, which you can use as a starting point to adjust from there. As an example, I have my 23" monitors at a 45 degree angle from the center, and my eyes are about 23" from the screen. My FOV is 140° - note that this is horizontal, not vertical. AC uses vertical I believe, and if I remember correctly I'm running 56° there. EDIT: nvm, that's definitely not my AC setting, I'll check later

The most important part of triple screen setup is to attempt to have all the screens the same distance from your head, and have all of them facing straight at your head. If you have larger screens that are close to you, your angle should be sharper. If you have smaller screens or they are further away, your angle should be more shallow.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

What game, and does it change when you exit to menu and reload the track?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

just GT Legends HD?

I'd buy this

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

I was thinking four laps; I wasn't sure whether three would be a little too short. Its a bit of an awkward thing.

So yeah: on Sunday we're doing the Peugeot 504s at the Nordschleife - we're going to be using the sports version, I'm just going to change the server before I forgot. I'm planning to start the race at 8:30GMT as normal; although qualifying will be quite a bit longer - I'm thinking of starting it at eight just to give people time to get a couple of laps in.

Four laps would be one too many, I think.

Also, for such a slow terrible car, this thing is really hard to actually keep on the road.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, this car on this track could be pretty bad, the field is going to spread out a ton and it'll be bad. Same car on a shorter track, or a different car on this track, could be a lot more fun.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ISR forums probably have the largest collection of plans and builds, yes. I'm browsing them now to get more ideas for this weekend's project of a shifter and mouse mount.

My center monitor is about an inch behind my wheel and the bottom of the screen is even with the top of the wheel base, just about as close as I can get it. You (presumably) want it as realistic as possible, which means you want it as close to your wheel as possible.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Blick, I'm jealous of that seat... that's the weakest part of my current setup.

My idea for a shifter mount has evolved quite a few times since I ordered the shifter early this week, now I think it's going to also have a mouse pad and keyboard arm. We have decently warm weather tomorrow, so I should be able to mock something up and be up and running to some degree.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

This question doesn't apply to a specific sim, but when you're running a track for the first time (or the same track in a vastly different car), is there a way to quickly learn the braking points and cornering speeds and such without just a lot of time, trial, and error? I only get to play for maybe a few hours a week and I want to spend more time racing other cars and less time taking corners embarrassingly slow by myself because I didn't know I would have the grip to go faster.

Watch a hotlap video for that track and your car or one with similar performance. As an example, ERSimRacing does lap walkthrough videos for Skip Barber almost every week in iRacing with commentary, very helpful. It might not be available for every track and every sim, but there are quite a few out there.

Alternately, if you are using a sim with decent AI, do a practice session with as many AI as your computer can handle, and turn the difficulty down. Follow the AI, and when you can pass them turn up their difficulty. This doesn't work for some more tracks, if they didn't program a good AI line into the mod. A human-controlled lap would be a better option.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Had a few snafus, but I think I got the shifter mount how I want it.

I moved the seat back for easier access while building, then forgot about it so I couldn't put the seat back to the correct spot. The shifter has been slid along the pipe a few inches forward from the last picture, and up about 3/4". I'll stick some scrap in there and screw it so it won't move at all. I also had to mount the button box on top of the desk instead of below, so I had some more room for everything.

Scraped the poo poo out of my paint too :( oh well.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Grand Theft Karto

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

How autopimpbaliata game ahem sim handle 3 monitors do I need to do Nvidia surround or just fire it up and say 3 please

Stock Car Extreme handles Surround triples fine, so Pimpballista should do that fine. You should use surround because it's awesome. I only turn off surround when I am doing single monitor recording.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

G2X is gear driven. Despite whatever price they charge, it's bottom end. CSR elite or CSW v1 is a no go. if anything goes wrong, they don't make parts anymore.. On these two the code wheel is the big problem. It's a plastic wheel with black lines on it. If you have to open the wheel up and any of the code marks get scraped off, you're done because that part isn't made anymore. If you want midrange you'll want a thrustmaster or wait for fanatec to release whatever midrange wheel they plan to make.

The Fanatec is going to be more expensive, I would guess $400US, but it will be a separate base and wheel. If you want it now, Thrustmaster T300 is the way to go unless you need the other console compatibility.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

T500 is an old model. It has slightly stronger force feedback, but supposedly it doesn't have as much detail in the force feedback. The T300 is something like the TX v1.1 - very similar overall. The two new wheels come with cheaper pedals, and have slightly more nuanced force feedback.

Fanatec needs to get off their rear end and release the rest of the new lineup for the CSL stuff.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I hope fantec gets their mid tier stuff out or this is what I'll be doing in the fall/winter of 2016. Spring and summer means my other cheap hobby woodworking eats up a chunk of my income that could go to wheels. I just bought a nice wheel setups worth of a table saw, and haven't even made all my jigs and stuff which is probably 200 more in limber and bits

I have some furniture to build this summer and need to get Kreg jigs and some power tools that aren't older than I am... it's going to be a while before I build the OSW that is on the wish list.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

KartKraft closed beta registration is now available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjaQ_Kj4kWg

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

So this just got uploaded by rFactor 2...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I spent some time in AutoBallista today, and drat the slow formula cars are awesome. I had a blast in the Formula 3 cars, and the Formula Vee is pretty much a slide machine. I recorded a Vee race and was going to upload it, but I couldn't get the camera tool to play nice for a replay view and it's late so not yet.

The AI is pretty bad in the Vee - I was sliding around pretty bad and I just stomped them at 105%.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Does Discord have an overlay that actually works in 64 bit? That's the thing I would like to see most from Mumble right now, and I definitely won't bother switching if I don't gain a working overlay in iRacing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, that's a nice clean setup. I haven't gotten around to putting together my keyboard tray thing yet, I'm basically taking a monitor mount and attaching a keyboard sized piece of plywood to it.

When I stop commissioning custom basses save up enough to get an OSW/ClubSport base, I will probably rebuild my cockpit. It's been added on to so much, it would be better to rebuild it using stuff I learned from the past few years of use.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That looks like a potentially terrible place for the keyboard tray. Easy and cheap, but terrible. I barely have clearance of my knees with my setup, a keyboard tray would absolutely not work for me in that position. Do a lot of measurements to a real car. Sketch it out to help with the measurement relationships. A sim rig probably won't match up exactly to a typical real car, but you will be able to tell what will be different, and hopefully what will not be comfortable or feasible.

Consider what your hardware could be in the future, and build with that equipment planned. I didn't think I would have triples when I built mine, so it's not as good as it could be, nor as rigid as it should be.

Make sure you like where your wheel/shifter/pedals will be. Triple check the measurements. I would have liked my wheel to be a touch lower, and I will need to adjust the whole rig to accommodate so my knees have room when I rebuild.

Paint it, it looks less bad that way. Don't choose all black. Mine is blue with the table top black, and it's bitchin'.

E: make sure your keyboard and mouse are comfortable to use when you need them, and completely out of your way when you don't. Especially since you are using it occasionally for normal computer stuff.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 19, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Most racing games have multiple tire sounds: squeal from lateral stress, lateral slides, longitudinal stress, and longitudinal slides. If you can learn which is which, if greatly helps. You want the tires to be stressed - that means they are giving you maximum performance - but you want to avoid sliding.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helicon One posted:

(and no, normal road driving with a manual shift car doesn't involve any of this racing technique silliness).

Look at this scrub who doesn't heel-toe IRL

It's easier in a game, because you aren't being thrown inside around a big steel death machine. Super fun to do in a real car though, but it's expensive if you gently caress it up.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Norns posted:

Wouldn't double clutching actually be better for road cars?

Depends, in part, on if it has synchros. A proper racing downshift in most H box non-synchro racecars (done entirely under braking using the toe) consists of something along the lines of: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip with heel to bring the input gear up to speed to match the shorter ratio of the output gear, clutch in, downshift, clutch out.

With most sims, you can just jam it into gear and it magically lines up the cogs as long as you single clutch while you're doing it. Real cars are less forgiving.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I would suggest waiting for the CSL lineup from Fanatec, but it's been months since they announced anything besides the fact that it will eventually exist so who knows. If you want a load cell, CSPv3 is best right now. Otherwise the T3PA or whatever from ThrustMaster is supposed to be good.

TM may be releasing a new higher end pedal set to go with that monster wheel base that nobody knows the specs of: could have a load cell there, and it'll probably be available in the next month or three.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I would be totally in this, if I wasn't out of town this weekend and next weekend...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I might be able to make it for race 3... or 4... hopefully...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

We have two goon teams driving MX-5's in the iRacing Nurburgring 24 Hours, both in the same split. Currently, Chivers Chikanye is leading, with Rich GT Gentlemen Drivers in second place.

Stream is up here, with creative commons jazz and some sort of klezmer music as a soundtrack:
http://www.twitch.tv/casefacemcgee

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 4, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

My CSR has not given me any issues... now that I've said that, it will catch fire during the next GoonCar.

They could be prone to overheating, but it sounds like yours just does it right away, it can't be overheated within seconds of powering on.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Hey, the latest AutoBallista update fixed DynHUD with triple screens! So I've been able to actually use it for the first time! It's pretty cool.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Norns posted:

Ima be honest
I hate driving that car

Slow slide-y cars are the best

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Since my shifter decided to throw it into 2nd instead of 4th one time in Qual and once again in the race (yes, I checked, it wasn't user error this time, the user error was a shift from 4th to 1st) I recalibrated my stuff.

I've been running the ClubSport shifter into my CSR, because the USB adapter would not allow me to calibrate at all, so 5th went to 7th and 6th was nonexistent. I hadn't bothered to contact Fanatec yet, but it was on my to-do list. For shits and giggles, I plugged the adapter back in... lo and behold, there's a firmware update. After that, it calibrated and works exactly how it is supposed to :woop:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Zoom in and compress the poo poo out of it, and that's possible avatar material.

It's been a long time since I made my avatar in GIMP, and it's really hard to get a decent result with the miniscule filesize requirements, or I would give it a go.

That was a nice car/track combo, if only I remembered to remap the headlight controls...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

AutoBallista is great, but I spend all of my multiplayer time on iRacing or in GhostDog's goon server in Assetto Corsa.

It's hard to turn away from iRacing when there are always full races in the cars that I like to drive, and the netcode is less bad than other games.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

BeRandom posted:

Well poo poo. I guess I'm going to have to see if it's worth it to pay a subscription just to have people to race with.

My computer is at least 4 years old. Are there any trial periods available so I can see if the game runs reasonably on my system?

3 months for five bucks, promo code PR-RENAULT

System requirements are pretty low if you turn down the eye candy, if you can run AutoBallista or Assetto Corsa then your system can handle iRacing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Guess the game:

Reddit. The game is Reddit.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Karts, superkarts, Montana, Formula Vees, tons of ridiculous options in AMS.

If we can get night racing to work, karts and superkarts under the lights would be epic.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I tried to stream the kart nonsense last night, but haven't used OBS and AutoBallista for a while, so my OBS profile got pissed and locked up my system. After logging out and back in, my graphics card decided to underclock to ~30% of my stable clock so my framerate tanked. Yay computers!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

Not early enough

How the gently caress did they ever think that was going to work?

AMS beta update is gonna be awesome, I might not have enough time to get in my iRacing events since I'll be busy with those sexy vintage additions.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

6am?!

Hrm. Ok so even a 10 PM start is still 8 in the morning for me. Any later and most people have to get up for Monday morning.

Yeah, this is where I got to last time. Oh well.

Hey, I've gotten up more than once to take over driving an endurance race, getting behind the wheel before 4am. It's a great way to wake up in the morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

There was talk about DTM on Discord, and the DTM 2015 in R3E drives really good. Do we have enough people with R3E to maybe try that at some point?

Also, unlike previously implied, this weekend will not be AC, but AMS again. Because I'm in the mood for it and the server setup isn't such a joke. F3 at either Johannesburg Historic or Montreal.

That sounds awesome... more F3 needs to happen when I'm not busy, after a few more Sundays.