Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Crossposting for new season, same bad driving: the Gooncar iRacing league is back with an "interesting" preseason race that doubles as practice for the Sebring 12hr in 2 weeks and a newbie-friendly (even more than usual, GET RACING NERDS) non-championship opener.

:siren: Gooncar Preseason Sunday 9:20pm GMT (10:30pm grid time) :siren:

Will be at:

Sebring!

Featuring:

C7!
Ruf!
BMW!
McLaren!

And :supaburn: special newbie-friendly guest starring: :supaburn:

Mazda MX-5 Cup!

If you're new and haven't been added to the league yet, apply HERE and think up a better cool racer name to use in the race than "Kevin", jfc :argh:

(The weird session timing is because there's a 40 min practice then 30 min qual before the race to make best use of the full 2hr timeslot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar practice goes up 20:20 GMT (21:20 BST) for race at 21:30 GMT (22:30 BST), so this doesn't clash with the race, only the super-long practice session which only exists to use the full 2hr session allocation anyway.

e: does clash with the Sunday BES race though, which a bunch of the iRacing crew usually run in, although not so many this week.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GhostDog posted:

Okay, let's try again.

Next race:
[list]
Sunday 04/24, 20:00 GMT

Is this actually 20:00 GMT or 20:00 BST because it seems like there's been confusion about this.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GhostDog posted:

GMT. So qualifying should start after BES is over, and the race should end with still 30+ minutes of training for iRacing gooncar left. Right?!?
Yep, spot on.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

I would but I can't see any way to figure out what time zone a user is in. Even then, it would only be useful for anyone in that time zone. UTC is the same for everyone. I guess I could add in a time zone converter if people know where they are in relation to UTC.

This kinda doesn't help much because if you know the time difference already, it's easy enough to convert. The "time to race" stuff mostly fixes this though, so good stuff.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yes everyone do iRacing. Now featuring a Friday timeslot with at least one free car/track combo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't know whether it's better or if I've just gotten used to it, but I don't notice it as much any more. There still isn't the physical feedback you'd get in the real world so it'll always feel a bit 'ghostly' to drive, but it's not horrible skatey bullshit at least.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also: iRacing thread!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Helicon One posted:

:keke:

I don't remember what I did to you.

Flipped him good and proper into the bottom hairpin on lap... 3? That would do it.

This is like the 3rd week in a row that Coja has been epicly murdered by other people, resulting in barrel rolling into oblivion :(

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I want to drive the poo poo out of Cadwell

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just a quick heads-up for folk who might not read the other thread: there's a new iRacing Friday league featuring the Formula Renault, if that's more your thing than the Skip. Mix of ovals and road, same deal as the Sunday league.

Also there's the Sebring 12 Hour in a month or so, which could always use more goon victims.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
AC is bad and everyone should just get AMS instead imo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm up for AMS in general but not this week, clashes with the iRacing Gooncar double header :(

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
more like pee cars

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
ps. in far superior game news, does anyone feel like kicking the iRacing league off again?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Either you're the ghost of L_Harrison or the standard of driving in the free trucks is subhuman garbage because 100% of people who have driven Gooncar oval races on a pad have been a menace to everyone present no matter how good their intentions

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just to chase up any stragglers from the iRacing thread as it's short notice:

:siren: GOONCAR IS ON :siren:

Tonight! iRacing! Classic 70 laps of Skips at Iowa, no fuel bullshit, session up at 7:20pm ET/00:20am BST (check your league sessions page for local time!), 10 mins practice, 3 laps lone qual.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also learn that if you really need one you can pull something from the forums 95% of the time

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everyone come try at least a month of iRacing, it's discounted atm and I'm going to run a bunch of free content Gooncar events.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I went ahead and made a Friday Gooncar iRacing series using only free poo poo, :getin: etc

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

I went ahead and made a Friday Gooncar iRacing series using only free poo poo, :getin: etc

This is happening in like 2 hours, it's free as heck :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar iRacing calendar update: in addition to the Free Stuff series on Fridays I've put up another 5 race Skip series in the Sunday slot, entirely on ovals because they're way easier to just turn up and race on without practice.

Thompson
Phoenix
:siren: Oxford Plains :siren:
Iowa
USA

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Definitely good and free Phoenix. I will never buy new Phoenix because why would I pay money for an inferior track?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
get the hell into iracing tia

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The reason they can't keep the iRacing test server up is probably because it runs on the same hardware as the live servers or some other ridiculous and incredibly iRacing reason

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you're not a big stupid idiot and have iRacing but don't like spending money tonight's Gooncar is in 30 minutes and it's at Daytona Oval 2007 (FREE) in the Cadillac CTS-V (FREE) so you have no excuse not to come race with a bunch of idiots.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
PCars 2 is a content expansion and a legal wrangle to escape their PCars 1 obligations and anyone viewing it otherwise is kidding themselves.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: iRacing fans! The return of Friday Gooncar: FRenault at Lime Rock, 7pm Eastern, everyone :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also goons reliably show up for races in it somehow

probably because we're all desperately trying to maximise the value of our expenditure or something

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you yell at me enough I will totally run an entirely free content iRacing championship if people want to make use of the special introductory offers and play for a couple of months for like :10bux:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GhostDog posted:

Please schedule for a more euro working people friendly time, tia.

Take a nap before the Sunday evening race slot, we're still done before midnight :colbert:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Can try pulling it forward an hour next season because I think a lot of the people who needed it so late in the first place don't race anymore anyway.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If anyone's interested in getting in on iRacing for the rallycross FotM it's $5 for 3 months for new subs atm, code is PR-GRC

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just in case people don't check the iRacing thread (it's slow, I don't blame you): Gooncar iRacing starts again tomorrow, with 2 weeks of :siren: free content :siren: events so if you've let your sub lapse or haven't tried it yet, now is a good time to get some guaranteed racing with goons.

The events:

Vando posted:

Plan:

This Sunday (4th): Miata at Summit Point, rookie induction race etc

Next Sunday (11th): DW12 at Old Pocono, rookie destruction race

Usual time, 2130UTC (1630ET)

:getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar iRacing starts up again today, more details and hype here but it is all free content until the last round and if people are sad enough I may even buy that last track for them, no promises, impress me.

Mazda MX-5s, they're a blast, come race with goons, if you have a wheel this will cost you 5 bucks for one (or maybe three, idk if there's an offer on) months racing and is worth it for Gooncar alone, though there's a bunch if official races in the free content as well.

tl;dr: :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Gooncar iRacing starts up again today, more details and hype here but it is all free content until the last round and if people are sad enough I may even buy that last track for them, no promises, impress me.

Mazda MX-5s, they're a blast, come race with goons, if you have a wheel this will cost you 5 bucks for one (or maybe three, idk if there's an offer on) months racing and is worth it for Gooncar alone, though there's a bunch if official races in the free content as well.

tl;dr: :getin:

This race was a blast this week, if you're sitting there thinking "I'm interested but isn't iRacing going to cost a bomb/be too hard to get into/not have any races for me to get Good Value if I do put money down?" then GOOD NEWS, I can answer these questions!

1. This costs as much as you want it to, everyone likes to talk about spending a shitload to participate but there's a solid stack of free content now, all of which is incorporated into an official series of some kind, and failing that I will always try to make room for people in Gooncar series with the absolute minimum required outlay.

2. Do you have a wheel/pedals? Then you can get into this no problem, sure it's no arcade racer but at the absolute worst with a little patience you will be quite able to tootle around the back of a Gooncar field and laugh as the 'fast' people wreck and you pass them.

3. If you spend the $5 to get three months (info below on codes etc) you'll get three months of Gooncar (immediate value) but also half a dozen series that use free content that iRacing run as official races, most of which run hourly. You probably won't run out of races to run, especially if you accidentally start to buy more content.

PROMO CODES: find the latest deals here, https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/iracing-promo-codes-updated.131900/

(promos only tend to happen for new subs, though there's nothing stopping you from e.g. getting the 3months for $5 deal for three months, then if you decide you want to commit to this poo poo making a new account with a different code to get, say, the Ford GT)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

njsykora posted:

Everything in Raceroom is going to be free this weekend, so if you're curious about that game this is a pretty good chance to see everything.

Pre-Gooncar DTM 92 let's goooooo :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
All of you nerds seem to have shitloads of money so you should definitely come hang with the iRacing crew because it is the notable Premiere Deluxe money pit sim and also team endurance best endurance, the best series to be all Serious Business about competing in (heck it says it right there on the car)

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 5, 2018

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Thief posted:

so custom liveries are a 3rd party mod thing but basically everyone that plays actually uses it even though its not official?

Yep, I think it's evolved that way to get around issues with using real life logos etc and is almost entirely install-and-forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Zaphod42 posted:

There's definitely some wild ones on the tradingpaints site (like giant pot leafs) but i've never seen anybody using them.

Yes, you would definitely never catch a goon team taking a win in a weed car while trailing a giant cloud of smoke, no sir, would never happen :v: