Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did something potentially idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

That was pretty idiotic. You could have saved like 50 bucks by choosing 2-day shipping instead of overnight.

How long do they take to process the order typically? I got the rush shipping because I travel for a living and am only home this week (I leave Monday and want to play over the weekend).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't decided yet. I'll probably build something eventually, but for now, I'll just find a way to clamp everything to my desk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I knew that, and I was going to build something here since I have just about every metal and woodworking tool in existence, but I went :effort: and sent an email to their CS department telling them to throw a wheel mount and shifter mount onto my order.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not really actually. I originally was going to just get the CS pedals for my existing Porsche wheel and order the CS wheel when I built a real cockpit so I could have made due until I figured out a good mounting solution (if anything, it would have just convinced me to build the cockpit sooner rather than later).

But I'm bad with money, so. :shepspends:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The rumble on the clubsports is pretty good for that. It doesn't feel particularly realistic, but it's something. I wonder if you could use a fancy magnetic damper to simulate that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there going to be native Vive support this time?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Same, and I hate screwing around with ReVive. Nudge, nudge.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Codezombie posted:

Finally...

Yes Dirt Rally 2.0 will support VR, Its Oculus support because they offered to help cover some of the dev costs.

Damnit! Guess I'm going to have to pass, which is a shame because rally is my favorite racing. I just can't deal with spending 30 minutes trying to get my Vive to work right. :sigh:

Oculus is pouring money into blocking other vendors from being able to secure games, which I get as a small developer is a huge benefit to you, but it's lovely and anti-consumer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've never used revive, but isnt that meant to take care of the problem you're describing? Or is revive just that hard to work with?

Revive is flaky as hell and breaks every update. It just takes forever to get everything set up each time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That got creepy fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

*shuffles feet*

Aaaaanyways, the second half of my Obutto comes in today! I won't be putting it together though because I'm engaged to drive a real car :getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

The Obutto is dope and you'll be very happy.

What? Oh yeah, that thing. I've been... distracted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42NqqOsxwk

I will say the box is extremely heavy though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn, the Dirt Rally 2.0 DLC is expensive. For someone that already has season 1+2, what DLC is worth getting? The season 3+4 DLC seems steep at $30, especially since I really have no interest in rally cross.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just more ways it's completely impossible to set up a sim to emulate the quirks of every car perfectly, even with the most expensive hardware.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If it makes you feel better, I had a customer claim we sold them a defective switch because it stopped working whenever they unplugged it.

It was a PoE switch. :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hearing Mills give codriver instructions in that is deja vu.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After severalcountless hours of bullshitting aroundserious, objective testing, I have determined the scientifically proven greatest rally car of all time.

And that car is... checks notes

The Ferrari F355? Somehow?

Look, it's just really fun on gravel for some reason. Go try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLct6ymp5s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it being mid-engined, manual and high revving but not too powerful to control made it a good combo. You can get it really fuckin sideways and still recover. Also, I now have the world record lap time for a really obscure car/track combo so go me, I guess?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

Racing online is cool because you can have the most tense and fulfilling time battling someone for 11th place.

Being punted into the wall at Eau Rouge isn't as special if you don't have to wait an hour to try again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yes. They're totally different.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The model isn't as good as PCars 2 or iRacing, IMO. It also has a terrible menu (that you can thankfully mod out) and likes to crash, but the sheer amount of free modded content is 100% worth it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For some reason, iRacing decided to stop giving me force feedback halfway through a GT3 Nurburgring race yesterday and I somehow became faster (probably because I wasn't fighting the drat thing and could be smoother), so while a wheel was really good for the precision, force feedback isn't required per se. The biggest issue would be the lack of pedals - most people don't realize that steering inputs don't have to be precise as pedal inputs to drive fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You can always turn down the feedback, you may have it up too high if you're fighting it to get a good lap time.

And the feedback cutting off could be your wheel motor overheating? I had that issue a few times years ago and it would surprise me but when I just turned the force down a little it'd stop doing it.

It wasn't. The checkbox was literally off in the options somehow. I think part of it was I was just being more careful and paying more attention to the rotation on the screen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

edit: iRacing runs great over HDMI, 90+ fps unless it's a massive field, with everything turned up.

I don't believe you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress, this is harder than I expected it to be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

What are you doing stepposter

"Assetto Corsa has the best selection of custom tracks and cars out there but the physics engine is ancient and shakes like my old dog. I know, I'll make my own open source racing sim with modern physics and support AC files so it comes out of the box with tons of content! :downs:"

Right now, it's basically just an AC track viewer. But I have dreams! Delerious, unattainable dreams.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised the first thing to start with isn't a physics model which looks nothing like a racing game until years later?

If I spent a year making a cool physics system and it ended up totally incompatible with how AC stores track and car data, I'd be hosed. First step was to reverse engineer the files. Turns out, the AC file formats are a nightmare of edge cases and bad design. :suicide:

The good news is the physics system can be iterative - it's going to basically be Mario Kart on real tracks to start with.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you're saying I need to add pickups to Laguna Seca. Got it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Used to be we would just let goons injure themselves for our own amusement with the only warning being an ominous "post pics."

Post pics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was messing around in assetto corsa trying some cars I don't often use, and when I got in the Fiat 500 Abarth, the stereo showed the song I was listening to on spotify and the loving graphic equalizer worked :psyduck:

Edit: the Giulia shows the album art and song progress :psypop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

If memory serves, that's one of the many neat features added by Content Manager. It's good poo poo!

People have too much time on their hands. But I appreciate it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Dude's patreon is at over 7000 bucks a month, he's being well rewarded for his time. The fact he can pull that imo also shows just how much ahead AC is in the single player space, and that you're not gonna compete with that for the next decade unless your sims is just as moddable.

Edit: Btw, the next release of CM/CSP solves AC's problem with the physics going wonky on large tracks, finally you can have a Targa Florio without your wheel rattling if you're too far away from 0,0,0.

If I ever actually get serious about making one it would be open source so :v:

And yeah I saw that. It works okay but the physics in AC is still pretty wonky when everything isn't completely perfect. It's just less bad now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like even though it's DD, it's probably not a meaningful upgrade from my CSW 2.0, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just lol at the idea of buying a video card at any point in the near future.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

someone was asking a while ago about a microsoft flight sim style racing sim that would allow you to drive through the whole world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IHexdiiL3c

I saw that, yeah, it's pretty cool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

The subscription is a gateway drug.

"iRacing would be a good value if only the subscription was cheaper" - nobody ever

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cage posted:

Tell that to "My Name (8)" soon to be "My Name (9)". I only sign up when its $5 for 3 months or something.

Do you only ever race rookie oval or something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

iRacing needs a limited free trial for each car because I promise if you tried skips, you'd never go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VR is non-negotiable for me but it would be great for iRacing to not have a stranglehold on the genre.