Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kilonum posted:

I got a new 21:9 monitor today, used pCars to give it a test

Sooooo… what's your FOV? :smuggo:

More seriously, does it look ok and do you notice any advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is there a good guide on adjusting suspension and wheel settings to a track? That is toe and camber per track to get the best performance. Assetto corsa gives a tiny blurb as what those settings do but I am not sure on when to adjust them.

It's even worse about explaining how to do any adjustments. They really could do with a bit of a UI update.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wow.
How did they manage to pull that one? :magical:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

No Lancia? Ever?
Game over.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kilonum posted:

EDIT: A true sperg would have a separate display projecting onto the HUD for more relism

EDIT2: http://viperwing.com/#full-F-16-simulator

Hmm… that actually seems to have enough buttons to fully map everything in Elite Dangerous. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orange juche posted:

Why arent they working on the tire model?!?!?

They're tired.

…I'll see myself out… :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thief posted:

lol idk what tractor that is from but it'd actually be useful in DCS

You're not flying the Viggen by any chance? :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jehde posted:

drat that is impressive. Voted Testarossa for obvious reasons.

Obviously.

On an unrelated note, is there an Outrun track conversion for AC? :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Speaking of setup, and since I haven't touched the game in ages (too much other sim stuff cluttering the desk to be arsed with swapping it all out) — does AC even offer a decent way to set things up in-game yet, or do you still have to break out Notepad and/or some third-party mod?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Norns posted:

The guy is lucky Ferrari and the FIA doesn't crush him tbh

That would have been both a great and a likely outcome:
Ferrari crushes the guy, forcing him off the site forever, claims the model as theirs and then hand it off to Codemasters for official inclusion in the game. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

For 'wtf' mods the recreation of Vice City is worth a download just so you can blast around it in an F1 car

It's always scary how you still recognise every last inch of an imaginary city 15 years later…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOU2j6HHOyI

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I... I just have a 360 controller.

Maybe once I move out of my studio apartment after I graduate I'll get steering wheel :shobon:

Nononono.

You keep using that controller and master it — nothing will absolutely infuriate into a foaming rage online race snobs quite as much as being beaten by someone who then asks if they should upgrade to a new controller (not a wheel) in chat afterwards.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

While there are at least two other threads that deal with the genre more specifically, I'd just like to branch out on the discussion taking place here.

For driving games, I can see the use case, but do buttkickers do anything or provide any tangible benefit for flight sims? All this talk has made me a bit more curious, but I can't really justify getting one for what's honestly at best the third-tier use it would see.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Absolutely, for an example of how all encompassing they are the shotgun in Doom feels even more fantastic, the rumble of an idling Spitfire is insane and going through the slot in a station in Elite is loving mind blowing WOOOMMMMMPPPPP

That certainly sounds appealing… in all the wrong ways. :D

I think my question is more rooted in the sensory feedback I imagine you'd get for driving — feeling slip and kerbs and the like in another way, above “just” FFB — which I'd imagine is slightly less relevant in, say, DCS or XP11. At least unless it starts jiggling you about to give some feel for turbulence and the like, which is rarely provided in any other way. Then again, I guess that comes back to the standard thing with all sims: does it have direct support to read/feed info into [peripheral x] or do you have to go through some generic interface to get a generic response (which may still be pretty darn good).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really question who is buying a spring centered wheel that looks like someone converted a Sega Outrun arcade cabinet wheel to USB.

When you put it that way, it makes it sound more appealing, but only because I have very fond memories of the time spent behind such a wheel. Maybe that's a sign of… I don't know, but probably something not entirely healthy or good.

Also, make it a Super Sprint wheel, double the price.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and all that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there really a place for trackir in a world where cheap vr headsets exist?

Yes. The resolution isn't nearly there yet, especially in the cheap segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess look at it this way. People move from trackir to VR, but not the other way

I moved back to TrackIR after VR for all but the simplest sim stuff. So close enough.