Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I really like the fanatec csl pedals and csl wheel base. Had to send my McLaren rim back once due to some buttons not working, but it's good now, and I've got a backup csl p1 rim too that I got while the macca was in for service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Mr. Powers posted:

I ordered the CSL Elite LC pedals. I think my next excuse for why I'm still bad is going to be "using an office chair".

I built a little frame to lock my office chair to my pedals somewhat, made a significant difference:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's... Okay? The CSL Elite base comes with a plastic clamp, and it clamps alright, but it's a bit if a pain to get set. I think the clubsport clamp would work a lot better. I have the clubsport clamp for the gear shift and it's more solid.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If you've got a Logitech G27, you can do this with a few hair ties, a couple picture hanging hooks, and some glue or epoxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlfsgNKR-A

Then just map 3rd and 4th gear to down and up

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Steen71 posted:

HOWEVER, it also has fixed gear ratios! This is just how it is in modern F1.

Huh, today I learned. I just assumed F1 had swappable gear stacks just like Indycar and LMP's (and heck, even GTE has swappable gears)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The other thing about the Ferrari is the D-class series is fixed setup, and the baseline setup is an understeery pig. I find it kind of frustrating to drive, especially on circuits that really prefer a loose car, like Spa and Silverstone

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Kodo posted:

Greece was just added last week, Finland will be the next stage to be released.

Speaking of WRC, anybody play WRC 8 and have any impressions on it?

Jimmy broadbent did a stream on it the other day. Said the tarmac handling is loads better than DR2, gravel is similar, Co driver sounds aren't as good, ffb is good. Car variety is less, but he likes the stages way more, says they feel more polished and engaging.

I haven't played it personally, nor have I played DR or DR2

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Clubsport should be able to do 1080° lock. Set it in the tuning menu, under "Sensitivity"

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've got a G27 laying around that I'm not using, anyone in the US interested in exchanging some currency for it, preferably Baltimore/DC/NoVA?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty telling that Jimmy broadbent couldn't get through a 3 hour stream playing career mode, and switched off early.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's very few 7+ speed H-pattern manuals out there anyway. I think the only one in pcars is the Corvette.

(Range-splitter heavy truck gearboxes notwithstanding, those typically only require a 4-6 speed pattern and a couple switches)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I also like the fanatec shifter

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

jonathan posted:

I feel dumb saying this, because he's a better sim driver than I'll ever be,

But Jimmy Broadbent shakes the wheel way too much when he drives. I've watched a few videos of him driving in real life and he doesn't do that barely at all, but when he's lapping the ring, he shakes the wheel all over the place and I can't think of a reason that would be helpful at all.

It's almost like he watched that old old video of the ruf Yellowbird lapping the ring during a tourist day and mimics that drivers steering inputs.

If you watch other good racers like Empty Box (Matt Orr) they're much smoother with steering input.

Am I wrong ?

In one of his recent real life videos the instructors in the background were taking the piss out of him for doing it. I think he's slowly getting better.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That fanatec setup is pretty nearly the same as what I have. I really like it. You may wanna pick up the clubsport shifter as well, especially if you're doing series with H-patterns

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have a clubsport sq 1.5, and I use H-patterns for anything that uses it in real life. Same with the sequential mode. Older GT cars, V8 supercars, skippies, rallycross cars, I use the sequential sick for.

I find it's much easier to time a throttle lift or blip with a stick, over a paddle.

I also switch wheel rims between a round rim and a GT/formula rim, depending on the car.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The move from regular pedals to load cells is life changing

:agreed:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah, after a short acclimatization period, load cells will make you demonstrably faster.

with the CSL elite brake, i removed the foam squishy insert and went with all of the soft elastomers and one medium to replace the CSL, I think. Either that or all mediums and one soft.

As far as force settings, it depends on the game and the car. In iRacing I use 50% for most cars, 60% for the really touchy cars that don't use all of the brake (like the 911 RSR)

You will DEFINITELY want some way to keep the pedals from moving relative to your seat, otherwise you'll push the chair or the pedals around instead of actually pressing the brake.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Here's what I did for my pedals. Works pretty well, though I want to build a full rig eventually

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah those gates loving *kill*

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Minto Took posted:

Are Jimjam is cool/good.

Jimmy is what pushed me from occasionally playing pcars on a g27 to being a full on sim racing addict with an ever growing pile of fanatec hardware and iRacing content

He's done so much for the sim racing community, mental health, and the world in general, all from a shed in the back of his mum's garden. Jamjar Breadspread is good people.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

There's always the massive LA Canyons for AC. I hear it's pretty drat good.

I just got it with the full side roads and ai traffic and it is so good. This is probably there most compelling argument to upgrade to vr that I've played with.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I vote the first goon AC race is NA MX-5s around Targa Florio for 1 lap

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If my Golf was just a little more dead I would have yanked the seat from it. Comfy, but had nice bolstering, but I sold it to CarMax instead.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just wait till you have the permanent 20% discount so you have nothing stopping you from buying individual items without waiting for a 6-pack

:retrogames:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
With the CSL Elites, just make sure to keep the pots clean. I had some hair and dust and stuff get into mine and they were reading funky at partial pedal travel till I cleaned them out, and it seems they have a history of wearing out. I'm probably gonna put in a ticket with Fanatec to get a couple spare pots just in case.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The new CSL elite revision also comes with the same drive motor as the clubsport, just without the second drive belt and nicer metal casing. It's quite nice.

Can confirm it comes with a table clamp as well.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty much this. You can avoid the cars that have funky physics (the radical sr3 drives faster on wets than on slicks, and other silly things like that), and drive the cars that are fun, and enjoy the excellent graphics.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ginettas are great, as are the Formula Rookie (irl Formula Ford) cars. Avoid the low level prototypes, and probably avoid the group C's as well in career because going from a radical to a Porsche 962 is about the most brutal step up in difficulty I can think of. The GT tree is pretty good, as are the upper levels of prototypes, sadly the open wheelers aren't that great.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

Well, I can hang up my HANS device now.

Niiiiice

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Kartcraft is the closest, apparently, but karting is very much a butt-feedback experience and that makes it hard to simulate

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pcars2 ditched the shifter karts, the only kart is a single speed one. I was overwhelmed trying the superkarts in Pcars1, they're insane for a beginner like where they put them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They tell you when they review it and take action, but they don't often tell you what action was taken. The only times I've gotten a detailed email of actions was when I had rejoined unsafely and the car that had to go off to avoid me hit me after the flag in retaliation. I reported it and bit of us got our pp smacked for it.

Other than that it's "we reviewed it and the subject has been informed of the outcome"

I have gotten a warning for language over voice chat before though, they do enforce it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I haven't had a W in a while. They do feel special, even if it is the bottom split, a win is a win.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah this is why I just use iRacing. The value of a large group of people on at any given time to drive (plentiful) popular series is more than worth the price of admission.

Hot lapping goofy stuff around tracks? Assetto corsa all day. One of my favorite wind-down activities is to load up the Targa Florio '73 mod (get the updated version by joining his patreon) in a road car or a slower GT car and just cruise around the Sicilian countryside for a lap (~1 hour)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Out of stock otherwise I'd have jumped on that

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have the 1.1 wb and like it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The WRC wheel is significantly better with the new modular quick release, nicer buttons, and removable paddles if you want the fixed paddles for rally poo poo. It's with it over the base CSL rim IMO

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that looks like a piece of poo poo. The CSL p1 and mclaren rims are decent if a bit cheap feeling but that's just awful.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The correct answer at the CSL end is to get the P1 and McLaren rims, because dual clutches are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

Skip the p1 and get the WRC. Much better button layout, and a quick release that doesn’t involve a screw.
tru. i got my p1 back before the wrc was available.