Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Largepotato posted:

But you never know when it might, so keep it up.

Well duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it using FXAA?

Its important to know WHICH AA, they are not remotely similar.

All ACC's AA methods are shader based: FXAA, TAA or KTAA (I think thats their own version of TAA). All of them cause blurriness in ACC and its horrible.

MFAA is the only thing that gets applied from nvidia control panel but it doesn't improve it very much. So your stuck with having to use an increased render resolution and/or super sampling to reduce aliasing without blurring which is expensive.

Turning AA off completely and just upping pixel density/super sampling still leaves a poo poo ton of aliasing in ACC :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I get a lot of the same issues with PCars 2

iRacing looks pretty sharp though, probably just because there's less overall bells and whistles and you can turn the graphics down further than Pcars/AC will go in order to get really crisp visuals and high frame rates. Worth it in VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Being able to run Live For Speed with like 200% supersampling at 120hz is hella nice. Doesn't make the game pretty (2003 gonna 2003), but it does look quite clean. There's a test patch on the LFS forums with various VR enhancements.

The biggest VR issue the game has is that the physics engine isn't quite in sync with the refresh rates of VR headsets (my understanding is that a headset would need a 100hz refresh rate to perfectly sync with the physics engine), which means there is a slight, weird hitch/skip to the various world objects, especially noticeable if you look to the side. It doesn't bug me much, but I could see it making some people sick.

I hope this can be addressed somehow, as LFS is otherwise really good in VR, both in its interface (glance mouse with mappable VR mouse click and escape buttons, so no need to touch the KB/M) and adjustability (you can reposition the rear-view mirror so that it's mounted within your peripheral vision, and the camera has a filter option to prevent excessive shaking around when the car goes over bumps).

Physics engine issue aside, this is a stellar VR conversion.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Pinny posted:

MFAA is the only thing that gets applied from nvidia control panel but it doesn't improve it very much.
MFAA is crap, insofar that it disables Direct3D driver command lists, which disables multithreaded processing, impairing performance.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I get a lot of the same issues with PCars 2

iRacing looks pretty sharp though, probably just because there's less overall bells and whistles and you can turn the graphics down further than Pcars/AC will go in order to get really crisp visuals and high frame rates. Worth it in VR.

Hello, I would like to tell you of the wonders of iRacing interior decoration. I posit there exists no computer capable of maintaining 90fps at Catalunya.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I'm looking to upgrade my wheel and pedals soon and wanted to get some opinions on where the 'sweet spot' of performance and price is. I've been using a T150 for a couple years now and feel like im getting close to make the jump to something better, and since I've been in love with sim racing I want to get something that will last a long time and hopefully not have to upgrade again.

My first thought was Fanatec CSL Elite, but after adding in a load cell kit its quite pricey. The T300 or T500RS seem reasonable but is the 500RS worth it over the 300? I'd also want to buy a load cell kit for that since I've heard load cells are worth the money in terms of feel.

I should also mention I mostly play F1 2018, AC and PC2. I rarely race online and prefer F1 and PC2 since they're a little more arcadey than sim. I'm not concerned with perfect lap times, so all I care about is what feels the best/most fun. $500 is the most I'd like to spend unless another 100 or so is really worth it

I'm sure this gets asked a lot so feel free to point me somewhere that has already done this comparison as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can always run fanatec load cell pedals with a thrustmaster or Logitech wheel. I run a T300rs with CSL loadcell pedals.

If you follow the fanatec facebook, their wheels seem wildly unreliable, and seem to fail pretty frequently, especially the DD wheels and to a lesser extent the belt drive wheels.

I get that every manufacturer has failures but fanatec wheels seem especially failure prone for some reason.

Conversely, you never ever see anyone complaining about fanatec pedals or shifters in the Facebook group, so those seem extremely reliable.

E: disregard all of this if you are on console. Separate pedals and wheel are a PC-only thing

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 7, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I kinda want to replace my G27 so that I don't have to gently caress with the 2010 Logitech software that seems to randomly stop working.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

G920 29...

I will still advocate away from the t300 the internal Power supply is poo poo and I killed 2 bases, and no there wasn't static.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

I kinda want to replace my G27 so that I don't have to gently caress with the 2010 Logitech software that seems to randomly stop working.

Fanatec software isn't particularly much better

Honestly I think the main problem is Windows being really poo poo with device drivers and hot-swappable USB port devices

(BTW: most the time when a device stops working if you just go into device manger and disable the device, then enable it again, magically its fixed. Windows is so dumb)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tater_salad posted:

G920 29...

I will still advocate away from the t300 the internal Power supply is poo poo and I killed 2 bases, and no there wasn't static.

A device that is meant to be handled should not be susceptible to PESD even if there was. Either way, it would be bad design.

E: my first NVidia Shield TV died because they used a stupid capacitive touch power button that was a conduit to inject ESD into the more sensitive parts.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Fanatec software isn't particularly much better

Honestly I think the main problem is Windows being really poo poo with device drivers and hot-swappable USB port devices

(BTW: most the time when a device stops working if you just go into device manger and disable the device, then enable it again, magically its fixed. Windows is so dumb)

Cannot overstate this enough. Why yes, this same device that I have used for a decade is actually now a different device just because a plugged it into a different USB port than normal. Please, go ahead and reinstall the drivers and gently caress up my settings because that’s cool and good and makes total sense.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just to shill a bit I've owned 9 separate fanatec products at this point and they've all worked flawlessly, Fanalabs is a good (if complicated) bit of software to store profiles so that they don't get wiped every time you update the firmware too

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 8, 2020

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can always run fanatec load cell pedals with a thrustmaster or Logitech wheel. I run a T300rs with CSL loadcell pedals.

If you follow the fanatec facebook, their wheels seem wildly unreliable, and seem to fail pretty frequently, especially the DD wheels and to a lesser extent the belt drive wheels.

I get that every manufacturer has failures but fanatec wheels seem especially failure prone for some reason.

Conversely, you never ever see anyone complaining about fanatec pedals or shifters in the Facebook group, so those seem extremely reliable.

E: disregard all of this if you are on console. Separate pedals and wheel are a PC-only thing

I should've added its on PC. And starting with just upgrading the pedals is probably a good idea, my lizard brain won't care as much about the money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, pedals (especially load cell pedals) are the thing that will make you the fastest via upgrades. Wheel upgrades bring better feel, more buttons, etc, but good wheels don’t make you appreciably faster compared to good pedals.

The move from regular pedals to load cells is life changing

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The move from regular pedals to load cells is life changing

:agreed:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I bought ACC on a whim today (because GT cars are awesome), and I really enjoyed it even just running practice laps with the controller. Gotta try it with the wheel soon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hearing Mills give codriver instructions in that is deja vu.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thrustmaster has entered the high end pedal game.

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/node/9370

The Hall effect sensors instead of potentiometers puts them squarely between the CSL elite pedals with the load cell and the clubsport pedals

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The Bob Ross of reviews has his up of those new Thrustmaster pedals. Seems likes he likes them for the price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPXcYVPKwo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Does anyone know if Fanatec fixed the quickly-dying/dead-on-arrival DD1/DD2 wheelbases, or is it still a lottery when you buy them?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

tuo posted:

Does anyone know if Fanatec fixed the quickly-dying/dead-on-arrival DD1/DD2 wheelbases, or is it still a lottery when you buy them?

sample size of 2 but me and the other goon who bought one recently have had zero problems + very pleased with the DD1

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm thinking about getting the DD1, just a bit nervous with all the problems I red right after release. If I see it right, the drilling pattern for three of the five holes on the bottom is the same as the CSW 2.5, so I assume I can easily swap them?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

tuo posted:

I'm thinking about getting the DD1, just a bit nervous with all the problems I red right after release. If I see it right, the drilling pattern for three of the five holes on the bottom is the same as the CSW 2.5, so I assume I can easily swap them?

Yup, it also has two mounting holes on either side of the wheelbase for side mounting. the 3 CSW pattern holes are fine for securing it by themselves, but it will need to be secured to a stable platform

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Yup, it also has two mounting holes on either side of the wheelbase for side mounting. the 3 CSW pattern holes are fine for securing it by themselves, but it will need to be secured to a stable platform

I'm currently using the Next Level Racing GTUltimate stand. I guess I'll have to beef that up a bit (actually I already did that, but I guess I'll make it even more sturdier.). They sell a special wheel stand for DD wheelbases, which seems pretty similar to the one I have, just with a couple more metal plates and screws here and there. I'll just also add more metal plates and screws....what could possibly go wrong?

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 14, 2020

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

sample size of 2 but me and the other goon who bought one recently have had zero problems + very pleased with the DD1

Me, probably.

The only hiccup I've had was one time when I turned it on, the fan started going at full speed. I turned it off, unplugged it completely, plugged it back in, turned it on again, and then it was fine. That was awhile ago, and there's been nothing since.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I fell out of sim-racing for a while because I got rid of my VR headset and just had so much trouble going back to a monitor. I missed it so I went and got a Samsung odyssey plus when it was on sale at the Microsoft store for $230. Compared to my old Rift S it’s just as good for sim-racing. Other VR games that use tracked controllers are slightly more janky but not by much. Everything is pretty playable.

Anyway the headset wasn’t enough so I also went ahead and got ahold of a seat from a 2000 geo metro and built a PVC/MDF sim-racing rig and having the seat, pedals, and shifter all in the right place really makes these games come alive.

Video card drivers have also added some nice new features since I was last doing this stuff and the new image sharpening filter in the nvidia drivers really helps to make assetto corsa look great. It was so blurry in the distance with 4x AA on but super shimmery without. Now with 4x AA and image sharpening it looks pretty much perfect.

Anyway, if there are any goons that want to do some AC or PCARS2 I’d love to get some weekly races going again

Lots of the fictional tracks from the Forza series have been converted and made available as AC mods too. Maple Valley, Prague, Rio, Bernes Alps, and Fujimi Kaido so far.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 20, 2020

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Got a link for Maple Valley?

I might reinstall AC for that if its any good...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pinny posted:

Got a link for Maple Valley?

I might reinstall AC for that if its any good...

Here's a zip with all the forza tracks that I've been able to find.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10g3AfMGwiuM_Fbn-eYyBc9WCyJyqDXWb

Edit: Updated with new link

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 24, 2020

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Welp, there goes my weekend! Thanks! :D

I need to get Content Manager and VR setup for AC now that its reinstalled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

We're up for another Forza Horizon this year, right? Hoping for more physical correctness and Ibiza (or similar) as locale.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ibiza was Test Drive Unlimited 2, right? Guessing they'd pick another locale just because of that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah. I thought it was a nice locale, and would sure like to see it done better/right.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah. I thought it was a nice locale, and would sure like to see it done better/right.

Oh for sure. It's got some really nice, long, flat roads and off-road terrain that could be interesting.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think next is Forza Motorsport 8, and then the next Horizon.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I hope they do a Cook Serve Delicious 3 for FH5 and make it some weird dystopia where you're guided around to different challenges and activities by either a ragtag team of rebels or a fritzy AI no more pointless NPCs, no more awful DJs, just car.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

GutBomb posted:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VyQKyF-xLpRR6W9VroMXqdfwBwGaovgv

Thanks for these but is there any chance you rezipped them? It has all the files from assettocorsa/content/tracks but sometimes there is an extra ini file somewhere else eg: in assettocorsa/extension/config/tracks/mapplevalley.ini

I have a mapplevalley.ini from a separate download and it just adds some lighting to some of the pitboxes and a few other areas, I guess it's optional for custom shader patch users.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VyQKyF-xLpRR6W9VroMXqdfwBwGaovgv

Seconding thanks for these, I haven't been on some of these tracks for years.

Are the Alps tracks working for anyone else? The others (Rio, Maple Valley) work for me but I can't get any of the Alps variants to load.

Also Rio is bumpy as all hell in the little Tatuus practicemobile.

edit: Fujimi isn't working either, I might be installing them in the asset folders wrong or something

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pinny posted:

Welp, there goes my weekend! Thanks! :D

I need to get Content Manager and VR setup for AC now that its reinstalled.

You gotta get content manager, then the Sol lighting stuff and crew chief, those things just push AC into the modern era I think and have put it back at the top of the list of my favourite sims again