Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Developers are obsessed because sim enthusiasts are. Even in the relatively same thread we have here, physics occasionally become a sticking point.

Granted, most everyone here is chill and enjoys these sims for their individual merits. There's one or two weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you dudes know how to have AC quit exiting from the session to the windowed launcher menu? It's annoying

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
With the new F1 season about to start, I've been spending a lot of time playing F1 2025. Goddamn what a fun game. I hope Codemasters bolsters up the content for this years edition.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Seems like Turn 10 or whoever didn't have a whole lot of dev time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tater_salad posted:

What's the to recommendation for racing game for couch and Controller. I was using nfs shift but 1 I can't drift and 2 it ate my save after like 8hrs of game play so lost the will to play

Pcars or grid autosport

Go for pcars

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2016 is super fun too

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tater_salad posted:

I'm not opposed to making the controller not garbage, I have automobolista and even carts are hard as hell with an XB360 controller.
What are the general things to tweak..
I have grid1 which is kind of fun, I looked into autosport but some of the reviews said you need to grind a lot to get stuff..
Also I love how the sale has all the DLC for around $15 but the season pass is $29, and the complete pack is $70

I'll post my pcars settings tomorrow. One thing about pcars is that the default tunes are mostly awful.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2013 gets a lot of love for having. The classic F1 cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's a good place to find Assetto Corsa car tunes?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
When's the new UI debuting?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Almost May and there's been no official preview of F1 2016 yet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The issue with Forza 6's intro was something I complained out last year. The same argument holds water even for a console game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

giogadi posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. So any time I'm hearing noise from the tires it means I'm losing grip and losing stopping potential.

I was doing some Googling around and it also seems like you're supposed to downshift as you brake, to kind of use engine braking to help you stop? Does that sound right? I don't drive stick IRL, but aren't you also supposed to also hit the throttle a little when you downshift? Is that where the heel-toe thing comes in?

I got so many questions, this is all so interesting.

Well tire squeal is going to happen. You'll have to feel when the car is out of grip. I think an important technique to get down is left foot braking -- braking and being on the throttle at the same time.

The way to understand why that is important is about weight distribution. A happy car is a balanced car and one that will respond well to input. Getting on the brakes shifts weight forward -- too much and you skid. Too little and the front tires have no grip. Accelerating shifts weight to the rear. This is what people get at when they say to drive smoothly.

And yea you'll wanna down shift while braking to be in the proper gear for the turn/turn exit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Basically play a lot of Forza or other sims and techniques will become muscle memory.

I've been playing racing games for 20 years and still am learning or refining my ~*~skills~*~

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Let's not even broach tuning because that's a never ending discussion. Gotta tune for your driving style.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so is gsync a god send for racing sims or what? I'm looking into upgrading from a no frills 1080p panel running on a gtx 970

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got a 27" gsync monitor coming my way

:woof:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so gsync is amazing. Got myself a 1440p 144hz monitor with Nvidia magic. poo poo is incredible and has breathed new life into my gtx 970. Pcars and Dirt Rally play anywhere between 45-70 fps without any downside. All of it is incredibly smooth.

Good upgrade. Almost like going from HDD to SSD.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Goetta posted:

Which monitor did you get?

Acer XB271hu

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've had a gsync monitor for a week. It's so impressive.

I just need the 1070 to complete the circle.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Front tires on the Ferrari F1 cars never want to stay warm in the default setup

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A gsync monitor is like going from a regular hdd to an ssd: unbelievably worth it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ShineDog posted:

Mine is nowhere near as good as yours and I find the gsync improvement dramatic. Not having to choose between input lag or tearing is a glorious thing.

Yea. It's a solid piece of tech. I spend far less time playing with settings to find a place to hold a solid frame rate.

I got it just after upgrading to a GTX 1080 too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm pretty stoked to play a fun F1 game over the weekend. And then Assetto Corsa comes out on consoles at the end of the month. I hope Kunos spent time sorting out a good gamepad control method.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

Did anyone pick up F1 2016 yet? Impressions?

On the PS4. Haven't played it yet as I'm still at work. So far the reviews are very positive.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is last year's soft rear end post processing filter gone?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm real excited to start my career with Lotus and experience a truly disappointing F1 career.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

You're about to be more disappointed than you think.

Er Renault.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Count me as another who's super positive on F1 2016. I'm seriously enjoying the career mode, as it has enough gameplay hooks beyond a very fun and engaging driving model.

Codemasters has done a lot to lift their studio with this F1 iteration and Dirt Rally. They're pulling together a nice string of fun games.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

Dammit guys I don't have time to play f1 2016 but it sounds so good.

It's a lot of fun if you're ok with not having laser scanned tracks or a NASA-level tire model.

also the Max Verstappen 3D model is looooool ugly

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2016 strikes the right balance of enough sim aspects plus gameplay.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Major Isoor posted:

Also, as someone who isn't really big on F1 (I prefer to drive a little more aggressively/rough-and-tumble on occasion, and hopefully not die when doing so :v:), how would F1 2016 be? Otherwise I might just get Dirt Rally sooner, rather than later

F1 2016 rewards you for being smooth and quick. Despite that, it's still a video game and is a super fun one at that. The cars are fragile so hitting other dudes can gently caress your race up, although I'm pretty sure damage can be toggled off.

Both F1 2016 and Dirt Rally are loving dope games for entirely different reasons. What they have in common besides the developer is that they're both fun as hell for anyone who's into cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nah Dirt Rally is played entirely solo. The only time other cars appear on track is in the rally cross mode.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Enjoy flying off a cliff

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
For those curious about how AC is on the PS4:

Not exactly a looker, which is fine considering the PC version isn't exactly gorgeous either. It's obvious AC is cut down by some to run decently on the PS4. There is screen tearing and frame rate drops but nothing too egregious while hot lapping. I'll see how it is tomorrow in a full race.

Plays exactly like the PC so that's great news. The Red Pack or Japan pack aren't available as DLC quite yet. I really want the Red pack for the Ferrari F1 cars. I'm not thinking AC is going to have a very warm reception on the console because of how little of a game there is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dodge Copperhead for life

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, complete novice to Rally games and I'm struggling with Dirt Rally. No matter what (non RWD) car I drive, I seem to always have the car lock up mid turn. I've tried every technique from just taking the corner slow, breaking into it, handbreak turns and attempted Pendulum turns. None of them work, I always lock up. It's usually when going beyond a 45 degree turn, so hairpins are impossible for me, and I'm averaging out 50kph going into the turns.

Turn on ABS for an immediate solution.

Or you can lower brake pressure to mitigate a heavy finger. I play with ABS on. The game is enough of a challenge as is that I'm completely OK letting some behind the scenes stuff occur so I can have fun.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I picked up WRC 6. It's a vast improvement in every way over last year's although is not a serious challenger to Dirt Rally. Still a dope game though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is fine. Every sim comes with major caveats. Except for Dirt Rally. That's perfect but lacking courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Spa, Nurburg whatever sprint, Laguna Seca, Silverstone. Anything with a nice variety of turns plus long straights for speeeed.