Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

InevitableCheese posted:

Hello goons, I've never been into racing at all but since trying out simulation games it's really grabbed my interest. I've only ever thought of NASCAR because of where I'm located, so I'm new to most of the terminology and popular championships. What's a good way to get caught up for a newbie on everything?

This is also a really good read that I highly recommend, and will help you make better decisions when passing or being passed:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s pretty good!! I only have about an hour of experience in it. All in AC, but it for sure does it’s job of making you feel like you’re in the car. All at way less cost and with less screendoor than the rift.

It has no discernible image or motion lag that I can see, all in all it feels very good!!

I want to be fair, this is not a rift or vive replacement. It is really good in a few areas (screen quality, pixel spacing), not so good in others (sharpness at the edges of the image for one), but for $50 it is a really good value and absolutely gets you the main draw of VR, which is immersion and feeling like you’re really there.

The controller is potentially OK, I haven’t used it other than to verify it works.

Does it work with iRacing? I haven't followed much of the VR stuff so I have no idea what works with what, but for $50 I'll try it as long as it works in iRacing.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

As far as I know the Vive is supposed to work with it, so it should be good.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I mostly just listen for "intos," crests and 1- and 2-turns, and the rest tend to help me keep track of where I am relative to those. You can clearly see a "Left 6 100," but you might not see "Left 6 100 into right 2". When I hear "x over crest, jump maybe" then I'm looking for a hill, and a 'jump maybe' tells me I can probably take it flat out, but jumping it is going to depend on the run up and sometimes the car itself. If you get "x over crest into y" then you need to slow the run up to the hill to prep for a turn. I think there's a couple where it even tells you "braking crest," where you need to hit the brakes right before the apex of the hill.

"Don't Cut" means exactly what it says -- there's probably something in the shoulder like a rock or log so don't cut too close to the inside of the corner. "Off camber" is warning you that the camber of the road is going to shift the weight of the car the wrong way, so try not to steer too hard into it, maybe lift a little to keep the car balanced. "Deceptive" is another one to pay attention to, because it usually means the track is really flat and you'll miss a corner because of how it's roped off or because there's a weird junction there you can't see until you're in the middle of it.

Setup is also really important in Dirt Rally. The default settings are almost never very competitive or stable. Pay attention to the track layout and the terrain; if you have a lot of corners and hairpins, use a lower gear ratio so you have more torque to punch out of them. If there are only a couple of major turns, gear it up. You can also gear up slightly to help gain some traction on loose surfaces, just don't go too far. Front wheel drive cars tend to do a little better with rear brake bias, so you can sling them around a little better without relying on the handbrake as much.

Also, take care of your car! A healthy car giving up a tenth here and there is still faster than a wounded one giving up whole seconds.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I went through two of them from static discharge, and my solution was to put a ground wire from my rig chassis at the pedals into the ground plug of my wall outlet. Haven't had any problems since. All of them did the same thing -- they'd randomly reset themselves, and eventually the base unit would stop picking up the brake and gas pedals entirely and only about half the clutch travel. One lasted a month, and the other lasted four hours. The third one has been fine so far after 3 months.

Now I unplug the power when I'm not using it just to be safe, but I keep everything plugged into a USB switch so I can swap between PC and PS4 quickly.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah they don't bother me at all. Hell, I use them to help me align with the race line or for helping spot when I'm lined up with my reference points through a corner. Totally not a big deal.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It looks like "Treasure Hunt" is a game mode under "Explore" in the main menu, so I think part of his unfocused muttering is about that.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I wish the ignore feature had controller support for added realism

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left

I’ll have you know I’m on the leaderboards

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I’ve used my Spektrum DX3R RC transmitter with the usb receiver adapter that VRC-Pro sells with a lot of different racing games and prefer it to a standard controller for sure. The downside is that you have to use something else for whatever buttons you need - in the F1 games I bound drs to the space bar and put my keyboard on the floor so I could tap it with my foot which was less than practical.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I wound up getting an AuraSound AST-2B-4 transducer and cheap amp for my rig, and while I really love this thing so far, I'm finding actually getting a signal to it is kind of a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to use VoiceMeeter Banana to mix the Sub with my headphones, since using a headphone jack splitter causes the signal on the Transducer to get much weaker when I turn up the headphone volume. It works, but not well, especially when you throw other games at it. Apex Legends particularly causes the entire VMB software to summarily poo poo itself and doesn't work unless I disable the virtual audio devices.

So y'all with buttkickers and stuff, what's the most reliable way to actually do this? Do I just need to get a receiver to handle the input/output instead of futzing about with software solutions? I'd like to do a four corner + center setup eventually, and I want to get at least a second AST for left/right balance pretty soon. Also, is it worth it to get crossovers? I've never really set up much beyond a basic receiver with a few speakers.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I tried the latter but there’s like a half-second lag between the two outputs, which is why I tried Voice Meeter. It syncs them up fine but it’s just really, really buggy.

I want to wait on simvibe until I get a couple more shakers, and since a 5.1 sound card would have more than just the one out port anyway (my onboard sound sucks), that’ll probably fix most of my issues so I’ll just go that route. I didn’t realize 5.1s had gotten so cheap, I’ve been out of PC building a few years.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Once you've experienced sim racing with your butt cheeks you really can't go back

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So after playing DR2 for a while last night I decided I need an actual handbrake, because trying to find it on my wheel as a button is a huge pain in the rear end.

So here's my idea - I have an old Logitech controller laying around that no one uses, and it looks really simple to tap off of for other buttons and stuff. I can use a potentiometer on one of the analog stick leads and put together a pretty simple springed lever I can mount to my seat. With the rest of the buttons I can set up a button box with switches for stuff I don't need or want on the wheel.

That said, if anyone's done something similar, what kind of potentiometer should I use/where can I source a few? I've only ever repaired stuff like this, not repurposed it, but it seems pretty straightforward. Buttons and switches are no big deal but I have no idea what I should even look for in pots.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That sounds way easier. To the thrift/pawn shops!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's the other guy's fault

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Developers, developers, developers, developers

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The $50 vr headset that goes on sale at Walmart has a higher res than the Oculus Rift though

It was fun for $50, but the 60hz frame rate gives me a headache and the tracking on it is really, really glitchy.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I had two bad T300s also, which I ultimately concluded was due to the unit's lack of proper grounding and static buildup in my seat. For the third one I added a grounding wire to my rig and insulated the pedals and base and it's worked without a problem for about a year now.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

real_scud posted:

Finally picked up Dirt 2.0 thanks to the Humble Bundle sale and it's goddamned fun.

That said CodeZombie I got the no co-driver audio bug after letting it sit on a replay for about 10 minutes while I did some other stuff around the house and when I went to the next round of my rally I paused to adjust the brightness and then suddenly my codriver audio disappeared and I could only hear the tire noises.

Feature: Co-driver has random heart attacks

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Laserface posted:

I had a g29 but not having a decent mount/stand made it basically unusable. Is there something cheap and foldable that works well?

You're about to get a lot of recommendations for the Playseat Challenge, and rightfully so.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My third T300 died a couple of weeks ago. Totally new problem, this time it started trying to calibrate after a reboot, stopped, then started making a high-pitched whining noise and smelled like too-hot electronics. It was 2 weeks out of warranty so they offered to repair it for a fee, but at this point I'm not too keen on giving Thrustmaster any more money. I've been wanting to upgrade to Fanatec stuff for a few months now and it's bumming me out to hear they're getting spotty too.

Is the CSL Elite for PS4 problematic?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So... uh, CE or not CE, if/when I get the CSL am I going to fret that every time it turns on could be its last like the T300?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Okay, that puts my mind at ease. I just wanna get back to racing!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

If you mount it to a metal rig, make sure it's grounded. Since the power supply doesn't have an earth ground, even a little bit of exposure to static will murder the T300.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Do you have some other third party thing open, like irFFB or something? irFFB does exactly what you described to mine and F1 works fine when I close it. It doesn't seem to affect every game, but F1 for sure.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

As far as I'm concerned Horizon games are basically a Ken Block version of Tony Hawk games. They're fun as hell, but generally only in short bursts with :420:

- edit

Zaphod42 posted:

I would kill for something like an open world sim racer

Horizon leaves so much to be desired but I do try to play it with a wheel anyways sometimes. Like, it works, but it feels all wrong and handles all wrong.

Try setting your wheel to 720° instead of 900 or 1080 in your drivers or whatever. I've gotten to where I can deal with 900 but 720 definitely feels a lot more 'right' in Horizon to me - especially trying to catch oversteer.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 25, 2019

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Can someone with a Fanatec CSL Elite give me the measurements of the base unit? The drill template only has the width and length, and I need the height. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have one and I just want to throw together a cardboard mockup so I can put together the shelf on the rig I'm building.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I finally finished (more or less anyway) my Dorkmobile that doesn't go anywhere.

Based it on the RS1 DIY from Ricmotech and just made a few changes here and there. Still needs some adjusting and retouching in a few spots but so far I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Also the Fanatec CSL is like an order of magnitude better than the T300. Like I knew it was supposed to be an improvement but :drat:

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 7, 2019

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That pretty much sums it up. If you just want to slam into other cars it's fun but that gets old really, really fast. Which is a shame because it's absolutely gorgeous and runs fantastic cranked up, even at full 4K.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What's the consensus on the Fanatec shifter? I like the look of it and the fact that it'll just plug straight into my CSL. I also like the look of the Thrustmaster but after dealing with 4 dead T300s in a year, I'm pretty sure the Mrs. would raise an eyebrow at me letting that particular logo back in the house.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

tater_salad posted:

Sup dead t300 Buddy.

My t3pa pros have outlasted 2 T300 bases. As has my th8a.

I feel like TM just can't build a wheel that doesn't poo poo itself.

I wound up getting the USB pedal adapter and turned my old T3PA gas pedal into a makeshift handbrake. It works surprisingly well.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even switching to a different wheel slows you down

This is totally true, I'm still not *quite* as used to the Fanatec after a year of using various T300s, but I'm starting to adjust. I still don't feel like I quite have the FFB dialed in for Gran Turismo Sport but it's starting to feel good in iRacing and PCars2.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

jonathan posted:

the problem with mudrunner is that's my actual job. So when I get into playing it I eventually start thinking "I could just go out and do this for real and earn $$$"

How do I become you and take this power? Highlander rules or...?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The LA Canyons map with traffic on is the closest thing you can get to a modern version of the original Test Drive on the Commodore 64. That I can do it in an 86 identical to my real one makes it even better, and there's none of the general silliness of the Forza Horizon games. I'm thinking of putting up a server next week, I'll post the details here if anyone wants somewhere to cruise.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 25, 2022

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be skipping this one.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pulled the trigger on a r5 5600 and some RAM to upgrade my old r5 2600x

F1 2022 VR better run better at least :mad:

I recently went from a 2700x to 5600x and I've been real happy with it. I haven't tried VR with it yet but performance with triples using the same 2070 is way better.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

If I had to go back a pot brake now I'd probably be like "nah I'll just go do something else"

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I half-jokingly considered using my arduino and simhub to power heating coils with vials of antifreeze and motor oil so you can smell the car overheat. Could probably do rubber for tire spin, too. Not sure how you could simulate the distinct smell of burnt clutch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've been trying, but I just can't get into ACC at all. Something about it feels wrong, but I can't put my finger on what. I realize it's good and people like it, but I just can't find the fun. I think maybe it's the car selection? I really hate European cars with a passion and that's all it seems to really focus on. Is this what Gran Turismo Sport was like for people who preferred the 'normal' series? Which is weird, I guess, because I fuckin' LOVED GTS, but GT7 bores me to death.

Original AC is dope af though, I find I'm enjoying it more as time goes on.

Also, when the iRacing schedule for this season dropped, I immediately asked for a refund and they gave me credit. (short version, I really only want to run the GR86 and Nurburgring, and that combo was nowhere to be found; half the 86 tracks I didn't have, and most of the Ringmeister cars I don't have and don't want). I keep thinking about picking it back up next season, but the longer I'm away from it the less I want to deal with it. I'd had a LOT of bad experiences lately with toxic people and deliberate wrecking that, to my surprise, I'm not finding at all with AC. I wish there was something else out there similar that doesn't want to waste my time grinding for "credits". I just want to choose my car (86), choose a track (Nurburgring), and go.