Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

amenenema posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread (redirect me if so please!) but I'm looking for recommendations for the following to use for GT7 on a PS4:

Wheel/pedals/shifter
Seat/mount setup

Re: wheel/pedals/shifter I'm not sure I wanna pay direct drive money, but sounds like load cell pedals are worth it?
For seat/mount I'd like something that can fold up relatively easily. This is going in front of a 100" projector screen that is also our main media device, so if I can fold up/stash relatively easily that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

On PS4, I use Thrustmaster's PS4 compatible stuff. They're cheapest wheels/pedals/shifter work great and are easy to set up for PS4 and are cheap, esp if you buy used. Their shifter especially.

I'm not sure I'd spend a ton of money on something like a fanatec wheelbase and hydraulic pedals for GT7 unless you have the money, as GT7 leans much more toward the video game side than something on the sim side like iRacing or Assetto Corsa where the higher quality gear makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

As someone kinda "new" to Sim racing, I started on F1 2023 and Assetto Corsa on PS4, I'd definitely reccomend investing in good stuff if you see it as an ongoing hobby. I started with cheap wheels/pedals/shifters and now that im doing iRacing on a PC I wish I'd invested in higher quality gear and now have to save up to buy it.

Conversely, if you wanna stick to GT7 and other stuff on the PS4, the good news is that cheap gear is largely the same experience. Not much difference using my Thrustmaster 1500 vs my fancy fanatec wheelbase on F1 2023, but a huge difference in iRacing.

I'd also like to note I'm not trying to bash GT7 or do the whole "only iRacing is a REAL SIM" thing. I love playing F123 which is very gamey. I'm just trying to save you some cash if your goal is to stick on the "gamey" side.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know a good seat or cockpit for tall people? im 6 foot 6 and if the wheel is the right length from my arms my legs are too close to the pedals, and if my legs are correct on the pedals my arms are too far from the wheel

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

phosdex posted:

I'm not tall and I haven't used it personally. But I noticed that the Trak Racer TR80, the entire pedal mount looks to move independent of the uprights for the steering. In many other rigs, the pedals attach to the steering upright.

def gonna look more into it but a brief glance this might be perfect. thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ssb posted:

I am 6'2" and have a Playseat Sensation Pro and I don't have the seat all the way back at all and it's pretty comfortable for me. It's not the widest seat though so if you're a goon of bulk, that may be an issue.

I feel like you could make that work for you, although it's not cheap. You could always make like an adapter for the wheel mount out of some plywood (or metal or something) so that you can mount the wheel closer to you than it would normally allow on many rigs, depending on things.

quick edit: thinking about it, the wheel is in the right spot for me partly because I have a direct drive wheel with some QR adapters on it that extend it out from the wheelbase a little ways. I still think it might work but you may need to make some adjustments.

That might def be another option. Im actually very thin, just very tall, (6 foot 6 and 165lbs) so the wideness isnt an issue just the length. I just wish there was a way to test these things out!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

another question: I injured my shoulder recently and need surgery, so no racing for me rn.

I was wondering is there a game or sim where you can be a spotter or something? I'd love to somehow be involved in sim racing because I can only play so much Motorsport Manager and GRID Autosport on Switch

I like oval and endurance racing the most but am open to all types

Also open to other suggestions of things I can do in sim racing that arent driving

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

People do spotter and crew chief stuff in iRacing, though that still requires a subscription. I remain bitter that B-Spec mode got removed from Gran Turismo though since there really isn't anything else like it.

i have an iracing sub, how does one get into that? Is there a way to practice or train for it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

just wanted to say thanks to whoever suggested the rally game for switch while im injured, surprisingly fun with a controller and scratching that racing itch!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bUm posted:

Did anyone do that? :ohdear: I suggested snagging EA Sports WRC which is the brand new one released this week and is only PC/PS5/Xbox X|S.

Looks like the old KT Racing WRC games are available for switch--they were pretty solid, glad you're having fun!

Huh, that might've been what I was thinking of. My bad, the pain meds while I wait for surgery got me a little loopy! I'm playing the WRC game for Switch since I thought that's what was suggested lol and it's actually a lot of fun, I'm surprised how good it feels. Not perfect but it runs well and passes the time!

Does make me wonder how many cars rally schools irl must go through. I crash so often, can't imagine doing this irl.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how do i see my fuel in Iracing? using a Nascar Cup Series Chevy ZL1 (not the Next Gen)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

There’s a “black box” with fuel info - f4 or f5 by default I think? Same for all cars, there’s a series of standard “black boxes” with various info and controls.

thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trying to get out of rookies in iRacing and am having trouble figuring out how the incidents are applied.

2 questions: Is your rating only raised if you have 0 incidents? And if so, how does one get out of rookies where people are learning and there are lots of unavoidable collisions?

Second question: Sometimes I notice something like I hit a wall and it says 0x, what makes something a 0x vs a 1x?

I was told to get out of rookies, just focus entirely on avoiding incidents and don't worry at all about your position, is that good advice?

This is all road oval

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

follow up: does it take some time for your SR to be updated? I had 2 races with no incidents but my SR is the same.

Also, the "Most wrecks arent as unavoidable as you think" is such great advice. I stared racing with the mentality of "Priority is not crashing, then race when the opportunity presents itself", and I'm having significantly less incidents.

What's helped me a lot is to watch the cars in front of me. Say I'm following a car that's ahead but I can't catch them, i try to watch to see stuff like "Ooh they slide a little bit on turn 3, so be sure to give a little extra space on turn 3"

I'm sure in the future that'll become "Oh try to overtake or create an advantage in turn 3", but by now I am focusing on safety.

I feel fairly confident in the trucks but man those street stocks at Oxford get me. Feel's like I'm in a drift competition!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vando posted:

You mentioned running trucks, so I assume those 2 races will have been Pickup Cup? The legacy car series are unofficial and have no impact on SR/iR.

e: seems like the Carb Cup and Dallara Dash have started using the current top line cars since I last looked at them, but same deal: unofficial series = no rating changes. The quick way to tell if a series is unofficial is it will have a '-' in the MPR column on the series list instead of an arrow or = mark.

Yup, it was the pickup cup that makes sense! Thank you so much!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Schorsch posted:

To expand further on SR. It's based on a rolling average of the last x corners, where "x" is based on the actual license you have. A D-license needs a lot less corners without incidents to stay at a value than an A-license. The rolling average is why you can "bank" incidents by being clean for a few races.
Additionally, you will see bigger jumps in SR at times where you would cross over into the next bracket within that license, say 2.99 -> 3.02. At those times, you gain (and lose, if you go down) an additional 0.4 SR. When you jump up a letter license (C->B), you lose 1.0 SR.
The sporting code has a lot more info on how different sessions are weighted for SR calculations.
If you feel like it, we have a very active discord (https://discord.gg/kYAf7w6v). It's mostly road-focused, but we do funny oval league races (old people will remember skips at Iowa) from time to time.

Ty, very helpful! Will join the discord when I'm home

Another dumb newb question: I know you get penalized if you withdraw from a race, but do you get penalized if you withdraw from a practice session? I wanted to try out road course and joined a 40 min practice session but only had 20 minutes to play

i would just test drive the track but i want to practice driving with others on the track

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Practice sessions do not count towards anything. The sporting code still applies, but SR and IR are out entirely.

Thank you!

And one more, sorry if these are annoying.

At Superspeedways like Talladega where there's bump drafting, how do they differentiate cars touching intentionally vs non-intentionally when it comes to incidents?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i finally made it out of rookie and into class D and good lord pocono is bumpy

I feel like im gonna end up like that gif from family guy with the dude with the one huge arm from all this left hand turning

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there an option for a pit limiter because ima go nuts if i get a penalty again for going 36 mph in a 35 for a nanosecond

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Yes but not all cars have one! Notably the Formula Ford and Vee in the earlier classes.

Edit: assuming you mean iracing here

Yes I do! Thank you!

Is there a way i can check if a car has one? i'm doing all the Class D oval series rn

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im trying to figure out if im having a skill issue or a FFB issue.

In iRacing on tracks like Pocono on the straights I feel the road so much it is incredibly difficult to hold my wheel still: its constantly shaking (not in a broken way, just in a "this road is bumpy way"

are my ffb settings too high, or is this just how certain tracks are? The ffb feels great on most tracks and in road races, but it'll always shake on places like Pocono no matter how hard I try to keep it still.

Turn down my ffb or is that just how Arca at Pocono is and everybodies wheel is shaking?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

What would you want from AC2 that you can't get right now with AC content manager?

Ovals :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have a good guide for setting up a wheel? Like how far my arms should be from the wheel, where to hold it, posture, positioning, etc

Wrists getting sore so i feel im doing something wrong

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know where to get one of those knobs that attaches to a wheel so its easier to use 1 handed? farmers use em. just had shoulder surgery wanna truck sim while i heal

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bUm posted:

Alternatively, crank down your wheel in the software

:elongate:

TRYNA CRANK MY HAWG NOT MY WHEEL

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone have advice from switching from left hand drive to single seater? I feel like i can rub a sticker off the car without scratching the paint in a left hand drive but have no idea where my wheels are in a Formula style car. Just time on track to get used to it or is there a trick/tips?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just have to spend the time smacking into things until you stop smacking into things

The real answer is you need to identify some points on the car that you can call “the edge” and work on how close you can get the edge to things before it makes contact.

Just tried a few laps using this tip and its definitely helping, thank you!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Y'all seen this Turtle Beach thing? Doesn't give a torque, but it comes with a load cell brake and a fun little button/switch box!

https://www.gtplanet.net/turtle-beach-xbox-direct-drive-wheel-20240116/

That actually seems wicked cool especially for a one stop shop entry level kit but they are so vague on the info I'm a little suspicious, esp the "we dont know what the material is...but it looks like CARBON FIBRE" :eyeroll:

edit: nvm just saw that price LMAO

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vando posted:

Yeah the price is higher than the base level Fanatec equivalent for the big stuff, the main 'look we've added value' stuff are the screen and button box but you can be sure as hell they're going to be garbo quality. Its place in the market is to be a big box you can buy in a store and just have everything, the value is not there at all really.

Yeah i feel like anyone willing to spend that much on sim racing is going to do some basic research and find better (assumably, tbf to TB it hasnt been released yet) stuff for cheaper elsewhere. And it seems too expensive for a "Oh ill buy my kid this for Christmas since he likes those car games"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

I had a radiator fan on my index and a fan pushing ac directly at me. Still sucks for sustained use, and I like to race

do you have the temperature set to like 130f for full nascar sim

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

Yeah I definitely over-reacted. I was having a bad day and probably shouldn't have been posting, but that's no excuse for lashing out. Sorry, dude!

we all have bad days youre good! i was just joking, I cant use VR at all it makes me motion sick lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Messing around with old F1 cars in AC and realized Id never tried to race with an H pattern transmission, so I gave it a shot and have a question:

Say im in 4th gear entering the breaking zone, and want to exit in 2nd gear, should I brake, go to 3, then go to 2? Or just go straight to 2 after braking?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

My friend has gone insane going down the rabbit hole of ridiculous motion platforms to try to create "the most realistic experience possible." I told him that if he wants realism to forget the motion platform - the most important piece of equipment is a space heater directly under the seat.

get him one of those neck-weight-pulley systems F1 drivers train on and have him sip only on hot gatorade

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trying dirt oval in iRacing is it common to have the wheels constantly off the ground in these cars? (Sprints, UMP mod)?

My PC isnt great so the graphics arent either, sometimes it looks like I have one or 2 wheels off the ground, but then another instance ill do a lap and itll look like all 4 are off the ground all lap.

If this isnt my PC and just a dirt track thing, anyone know how to keep wheels on the ground in Sprints/Modifieds?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I find AI racing doesnt scratch the itch if I treat it as a normal race bc I know im not winning against humans, but if I go into it with the mindset of its practice/training then I have a total blast. Sometimes its just about figuring out how your brain works and "tricking" it.

I think iRacing players like me struggle more with AI racing bc if Im going to invest my free time into iRacing i want to be improving my SR/IR which AI doesnt do

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nice!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im assuming no rain on ovals right?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

There’s a bug that lets you do hosted with wet ovals but it’s not supposed to be a thing (yet). Main focus is road asphalt currently

that makes sense considering in irl oval racing they don't really ever race in the rain, itd be hilarious to do like for fun with friends but a nightmare in actual races i feel like

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what do yall think of the idea of reducing safety rating penalties during the rain? Or do you think that just encourages crazy driving when rain comes out because the consequences aren't as serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I know its not really a sim, but does anyone know if the World of Outlaws game has throttle control on PC/Steam deck? I have only played it on switch where it was a binary "no throttle/full throttle" situation, but I'm not sure if that's due to the switch triggers not being variable or if that's just how the game is.

Alternatively, any other good dirt racing games on Steam Deck?